ImageImageImage

Celtics sign Patrick O'Bryant!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

LongTimeFan
Analyst
And1: 292

Re: Celtics sign Patrick O'Bryant! 

Post#161 » by LongTimeFan » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:36 am

Perk isn't getting MLE so it is hard to imagine him getting by Perk even if he does develope.

Perk is tougher, older and way more dedicated. He'll continue to develope too.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#162 » by bruno sundov » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:51 am

This pretty much sums up my frustration with some of the stuff I've read.

There's no risk.

We've been in dire need of length, size, and athleticism for what has seemed like an eternity. It seems like all of our bigs have been undersized, injury-plagued, or past their prime. We finally get a kid (heck, 2 if you count Erden, although he won't be stateside any time soon) and people that haven't seen the kid play ridicule the move as though we've given him an albatross deal.

If his head isn't in the game, his teammates will eat him alive. He's young, big, athletic, and has a pulse. That's all I need to know for now.

If you want to play the "Don Nelson Doghouse" card, just remember how much he played Baron Davis in Golden State's most recent playoff elmination game. This is NOT a man above criticism.[/quote]

Lets just see what happens. I just think sense he is on our team people are willing to cut him way more slack. The athletes I can't stand are the one with all the talent and no effort. Not the guys that gets overpaid and has limited skills. Lets just see.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#163 » by celticfan42487 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:40 pm

Celtics_85 wrote:Even Chris Mullen said that he could make it in this league with 30% more work. I think 30% can come with age. If he didn't want to play basketball, then why did he leave college early to come to the NBA? The short time he was on the court he played with some energy, and all that has been said about him from GS fans and this organization says that he can play and Nellie and his big man coach did nothing but degrate him. He will find a new sense of attention with this team and will in the least be a solid backup that gives us a low post presense that we lost when Jefferson left. To finish, I haven't heard anything negative about his defense, mostly all possitive, which GS doesn't know how to play and Nellie can't coach.

He <3 the $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Who knowes 3 years more college and showing no improvement this guy may have been a second rounder instead of those guaranteed millions he got for jumping ship as soon as possible. At least his standing reach is as big as Perk's.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#164 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:12 pm

Lets just see what happens. I just think sense he is on our team people are willing to cut him way more slack. The athletes I can't stand are the one with all the talent and no effort. Not the guys that gets overpaid and has limited skills. Lets just see.

Boston fans love a hustle guy. Even if he doesn't work hard on his game he needs to bust on the court to win over fans.

Pete
nasbahceltic
Rookie
And1: 80

Post#165 » by nasbahceltic » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:37 pm

The only problem I have with this is if O'Bryant is replacing PJ instead of replacing Pollard. I'm sorry, but I don't want to have to rely on an inexperienced guy who lacks heart and intensity in the playoffs as our ONLY legit backup C.

PJ was our most important big off the bench the entire playoff run and if Ainge is expecting POB to replace what PJ gave us then we're in trouble. Of course we'll see some improvement from Baby and Leon (both being in contract years BTW), but both these guys lack PJ's length and vet savvy.

Let's hope we can entice PJ to come back for another stretch run after the all-star break or maybe we can get Mourning after he finishes up his rehab sometime in December or January.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,802

Post#166 » by floppymoose » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:36 pm

bruno sundov wrote:If you want to play the "Don Nelson Doghouse" card, just remember how much he played Baron Davis in Golden State's most recent playoff elmination game. This is NOT a man above criticism.

I think it's *you* who should aviod playing that card. Nellie sat Davis because Davis didn't have it that night.

Nellie sat POB almost every night.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#167 » by bruno sundov » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:44 pm

I don't remember writing that. Also why would you sit your best player when he got you so far?
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#168 » by BillessuR6 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:59 pm

O'Bryant introduced...

"There's a lot of tradition here and you see all the banners in the stands and you see the newest one and it says '08'. I know that we're out here to put another one next to it and I'm just out here to do that," O'Bryant said.

Link: http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... _a_celtic/
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,928

Post#169 » by Celts17Pride » Thu Jul 17, 2008 9:26 pm

HoopsHype has a 2 year deal with POB making $1,500,000 the first year and $1,620,000 the second. Danny Ainge must have used the LLE for O' Bryant.
Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#170 » by Rocky5000 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:29 pm

thebirdman wrote:O'Bryant introduced...

"There's a lot of tradition here and you see all the banners in the stands and you see the newest one and it says '08'. I know that we're out here to put another one next to it and I'm just out here to do that," O'Bryant said.

Link: http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... _a_celtic/

He seems sorta like a shy kind of dude. I hope KG doesn't frighten him in practice.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#171 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:08 am

bruno, the "playoff elimination game" when Nellie sat Baron for the second half... Baron was out partying late the night before for his birthday, and was absolutely stinking it up on the court - 7 points on 2 of 13 shooting, one rebound, no defense, the Warriors losing. And when Baron sat, the young guys actually had a great run and made a game of it. Coaches struggle with that - when the bench makes a run, do you leave them in, or do you put the starters who were sucking back in? Baron sat. Part of it also may have been a statement - Baron, your free reign is over.

But back to Tin Woodsman. No problem with the signing. Certainly not a great signing... I would say the more accurate phrase to the one many are mentioning is "low risk, low reward."

But on a veteran, Championship team, you've got to fill out the roster with cheap end of bench guys, and you could do worse than having six fouls in another seven footer on the bench, especially with all the behemoths (and a healthy Bynum) trotted out by contenders these days.

The Warriors dropped a number nine and would've had to pay another ~$3 mil for O'Pliant this season. You got him for no pick, the BAE, and a cheap team option for year 2. Warriors loss (the whole situation more than POB), the Celtics gain.

And to confirm floppy's comment - Patrick was a "practice cone." Literally. That's not a nickname.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#172 » by bruno sundov » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:09 am

Twinkie defense wrote:bruno, the "playoff elimination game" when Nellie sat Baron for the second half... Baron was out partying late the night before for his birthday, and was absolutely stinking it up on the court - 7 points on 2 of 13 shooting, one rebound, no defense, the Warriors losing. And when Baron sat, the young guys actually had a great run and made a game of it. Coaches struggle with that - when the bench makes a run, do you leave them in, or do you put the starters who were sucking back in? Baron sat. Part of it also may have been a statement - Baron, your free reign is over.

So you sit your best player because he was out partying the night before and nbot shooting well? That is dumb. Paul pierce wouldn't have played in a lot of games if that was case here. How did it work sitting him on the bench?Answer, not good.

Thanks for proving that P'OB is a practice cone. Now we can fan this talk of potential.

here is the potential talk. Potentially he will replace Pollard, Potentially.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#173 » by GuyClinch » Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:08 pm

So you sit your best player because he was out partying the night before and nbot shooting well? That is dumb. Paul pierce wouldn't have played in a lot of games if that was case here. How did it work sitting him on the bench?Answer, not good.

Yes. I agree it's really dumb. How many times have guys had lousy first halfs and then been superior in the second half? It happens all the time in the NBA. PP, KG, RA - they all do it.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#174 » by greenbeans » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:21 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:And to confirm floppy's comment - Patrick was a "practice cone." Literally. That's not a nickname.

that says more about the sad state of your hc than the kid
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#175 » by bruno sundov » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:27 pm

Can I just say I finally come to the conclusion that I don't care about this kid either way. I just hope he is here to replace Pollard and not Brown. That is it I'm P'OB out.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#176 » by sully00 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:51 pm

Let me help you out a little PJ was here to replace Pollard whose season ended with injury. So OBryant is clearly here to replace Brown. He is supposed to be a good defender and rebounder especially in the low post, not a skill that Nellie gives a rats ass about, and I imagine that he can complete a wide open dunk something that PJ could not always do. KG is his idol growing up in MINN and he prides himself on his defense. I think he will be fine for 10-15 mpg if needed.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#177 » by BillessuR6 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:43 pm

POB can`t replace Brown he is just not good enough. PJ was phenomenal in the playoffs. We need a veteran who we can count on in the playoffs. Someone like Mourning, Mutombo, Thomas but since they are not a very realistic target I guess even Elson or someone like that could help...
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#178 » by cloverleaf » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:44 pm

Well said, Sully00.
Celtics_85
Starter
And1: 59

Post#179 » by Celtics_85 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:54 pm

This kid has great touch around the rim also, and has the tools to become our best post up player on this team. If we can get this out of POB it will create much better looks from the outside. A 9"5" standing reach with a nice hook shot, who can contend with that. Add that to one of the best bigman coaches and we could just have a match in heaven as a nice two headed monster at the Center spot.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#180 » by bruno sundov » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:23 pm

thebirdman wrote:POB can`t replace Brown he is just not good enough. PJ was phenomenal in the playoffs. We need a veteran who we can count on in the playoffs. Someone like Mourning, Mutombo, Thomas but since they are not a very realistic target I guess even Elson or someone like that could help...

Thank you. I have to quit this thread. everytime I try to get. They just pull me back in!!!!

Return to Boston Celtics