ImageImageImage

Celtics sign Patrick O'Bryant!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Re: Celtics sign Patrick O'Bryant! 

Post#181 » by humblebum » Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:50 pm

You know who's going to be the PJ Brown for the Celtics next season? Kendrick Perkins.

He's 23 and has shown a superior work ethic. He's going to come back as an improved player next season. It seems likely that he'll add the mid-range set shot this season a la PJ. He'll be loads more confident and will hopefully learn to do a better job of staying out of foul trouble. IMO this is the season Perk cements himself as a top-notch starter at the 5 spot.

I don't think people are really in complete understanding of what O'Bryant's potential role is. You're looking at a guy who is going to have to go out and earn every minute he gets. Glen Davis and Powe are going to beat him up in practice and do everything they can to keep their minutes. If O'Bryant has a decently large role it means that he's earned it. If that's the case it will be great for the C's because he has the tools to make a big impact in a well-defined role. Just the fact that his role is going to be clear and small will help him do well.
Albin
Head Coach
And1: 0

Post#182 » by Albin » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:45 pm

For Patrick to see the floor he needs to :

1. Defend the paint
2. Rebound the ball
3. Be able to dunk the ball whenever he has an open shot near the rim
4. Have a pulse out there

POB will have the same (easy) offensive game that Perk enjoys because he's basically the fifth option out there... he picks up the free scraps and garbage. He's got good hands to catch passes in traffic, and he can finish around the rim.

If the coaches see potential in this kid, I would try to give him as many minutes as possible because he has clear physical advantages over Powe and Big Baby. The more experience he gets during the season, the more he can help us in the playoffs.

In terms of work ethic, "practice cone" and all the other negatives about him... I'd throw that all out the window for the time being. Maybe he's coasted the in the past, but being next to Perk, Rondo, KG, Powe and the other workers on this team is going to have an effect on the kid. He said himself that he's already realized (this summer) that it's going to take work for him to succeed in the pros. I think he understands it. (he actually does need to do the work, however)

Our bigs coaching staff is second-to-none, and this kid has no pressure at all to be a major contributor. This is the perfect situation for him, and for us.

It's my feeling that he proves all the naysayers wrong this year. As I said before, I really liked him while he was in college, and I'm very happy to have him wearing green.
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#183 » by TheCelticTruth » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:56 pm

Celtics_85 wrote:This kid has great touch around the rim also, and has the tools to become our best post up player on this team. If we can get this out of POB it will create much better looks from the outside. A 9"5" standing reach with a nice hook shot, who can contend with that. Add that to one of the best bigman coaches and we could just have a match in heaven as a nice two headed monster at the Center spot.

i know you said "could" but very premature prediction
LongTimeFan
Analyst
And1: 292

Post#184 » by LongTimeFan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:15 am

You can't coach height. We need a big to neutralise Howard, Brnum and Illgasgus sp? This guy has a good chance to be those six fouls while Perk rests. That's a roster spot as far as I can tell.

Powe and Baby just aren't long enough.

If he's more than the six fouls, then all the better. Come playoff time they'll be another PJ looking for a ring.
TheCelticTruth
Analyst

Post#185 » by TheCelticTruth » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:09 am

i didnt think too much of his name before, but did anyone realize that his middle name is fitzgerald?

patrick fitzgerald o'bryant

thats astounding

Sig by twolves4ever
Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC
"ubuntu"
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,085

Post#186 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:15 am

bruno sundov wrote:So you sit your best player because he was out partying the night before and nbot shooting well? That is dumb.

Maybe pretty dumb, too, to get hammered the night before your most important day of the year at work :dontknow:

Albin wrote:For Patrick to see the floor he needs to :
4. Have a pulse out there

I'm still waiting to see that.

Hey, low risk. But some of you are getting a little too excited I think. Patrick's talk is cheap. Real cheap. Come back to this mid-season - has he played more than scrub minutes at the end of a one-sided game yet? That is far from a sure thing.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#187 » by greenbeans » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:04 am

how can you talk?? Golden State is pretty the much the worst situation a young center could have walked into. Nellie killed any hope for the kid had before he even signed his rookie contract.
and way to trash the guy who brought your team it's only sliver of relevance since the mid-90's
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#188 » by Twinkie defense » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:10 am

Warriors starting center Biedrins has flourished under Nellie. He's 22.

I liked Baron a lot... not at 5/$65, though. And it's not like he's beyond approach - among other problems, it's certainly no stretch to hope he would stay in, get a good night's rest, before a playoff elimination game. He can't wait a few days to get hammered?

Keep hope alive.
TheCelticTruth
Analyst

Post#189 » by TheCelticTruth » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:33 am

Twinkie defense wrote:Warriors starting center Biedrins has flourished under Nellie. He's 22.

I liked Baron a lot... not at 5/$65, though. And it's not like he's beyond approach - among other problems, it's certainly no stretch to hope he would stay in, get a good night's rest, before a playoff elimination game. He can't wait a few days to get hammered?

Keep hope alive.

im gonna go ahead and agree here

Sig by twolves4ever

Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC

"ubuntu"
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#190 » by greenbeans » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:30 am

Twinkie defense wrote:Warriors starting center Biedrins has flourished under Nellie. He's 22.

Keep hope alive.

so hes flourished under Nellie, how would he do under a coach that has half a chance of winning a title the next 10 years?? its a novelty, the whole franchise at this point. just like the suns in 04-05. at best hes an energy big off the bench ala Varejao on the Cavs. and i agree on Baron, but that, unfortunately, is the world we live in now.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#191 » by bruno sundov » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:23 pm

greenbeans wrote:

Keep hope alive.

so hes flourished under Nellie, how would he do under a coach that has half a chance of winning a title the next 10 years?? its a novelty, the whole franchise at this point. just like the suns in 04-05. at best hes an energy big off the bench ala Varejao on the Cavs. and i agree on Baron, but that, unfortunately, is the world we live in now.

baron is deserving of every penny/ The guy is a to PG in the L. He is arenas but only bigger and better. the guy can do anything.
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#192 » by greenbeans » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:48 pm

^^ but for how long though?? after running up and down the court the past 2 years those new knees already have a lot of miles on them.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,818

Post#193 » by floppymoose » Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:57 pm

This has turned into greenbeans bashing the warriors. I hope that gives you a warm glow. You are doing that because you've got nothing in the POB debate. GS was a great place for him to land, we desperately needed a backup C. So much that we eventually threw 17 million at ronni turiaf.
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#194 » by greenbeans » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:00 am

floppymoose wrote:This has turned into greenbeans bashing the warriors. I hope that gives you a warm glow. You are doing that because you've got nothing in the POB debate. GS was a great place for him to land, we desperately needed a backup C. So much that we eventually threw 17 million at ronni turiaf.

the only thing i bashed them about was the way they treat their bigs. its just the system Nellie runs, im not a fan nor do i see it being successful in the playoffs, ever. Golden State is where project centers go to die, excluding Biedrins. I'll take a flyer on the kid because i saw the way Danny treated Perk and he seems to have an idea as to what to do. and that whole Turiaf getting 17mil thing says more than i ever could about the state of the Warriors.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#195 » by floppymoose » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:04 am

Andris was a project big.
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#196 » by greenbeans » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:08 am

greenbeans wrote:Golden State is where project centers go to die, excluding Biedrins.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors

Post#197 » by floppymoose » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:28 am

greenbeans wrote:Golden State is where project centers go to die, excluding the ones who don't suck.

Seriously, where are these centers you speak of who wasted away in GS and then performed better elsewhere? Dampier? No, best seasons were with Warriors. Foyle? Same story. Biedrins? Nope. The story with GS has not been one of wasting talented centers. It's been one of not drafting talented centers. We took Diogu over Bynum. Dunleavy over Amare. Fuller over anyone.

I wish POB the best in Boston. He seems like a nice guy who's had a hard time. In basketball terms, though, he has an uphill battle. If you are banking your hopes on him somehow having been suppressed in GS, you are living a fantasy. He didn't play because he didn't show anything.
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#198 » by greenbeans » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:43 am

oh im not saying hes gonna be great or anything(or even halfway decent), but you gotta consider GS a wash for him. sure its a good place for somebody like Andris, but a legitimate, classic-type center has no place on that team. the system is a novelty.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#199 » by bruno sundov » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:27 pm

Here is how I feel about P'OB, YAWN!!!
Twinkie defense
RealGM

Post#200 » by Twinkie defense » Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:25 am

All in all, looks like Patrick's signing was a wash, so no harm, no foul.

This does shine a different light on some topics raised in this thread though: Nellie was right about Patrick, and the Warriors didn't "waste" his talent; Patrick's lack of success with the Warriors was not due to the "screwed up" system there; and Clifford Ray may be a good teacher, but he's no miracle worker.

I'm sure there will continue to be a limited market for Patrick around the League though: there are no shortage of opportunities for stiffs, as long as they are seven feet tall.

Return to Boston Celtics