ImageImageImage

Celtics sign Patrick O'Bryant!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Re: Celtics sign Patrick O'Bryant! 

Post#61 » by Andrew McCeltic » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:05 am

Wasn't Parish like, a 20-10 center in GS without "heart"?

Mark Blount was a physically gifted college player who didn't have the work ethic to make it in the NBA. Eventually he became a decent player but kept his charming personality. If O'Bryant's career follows a similar arc- talentwise, not in terms of his style of play- we'll have a good back-up 5.

If the attractiveness of the women you're photographed with is a sign of an NBA player's likeliness to bust, O'Bryant's not doing nearly as badly as Kedrick and Banks did.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#62 » by Jammer » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:05 am

DJToLarry wrote:Remember the last center we got who started his career with Golden State??? Maybe lightning strikes twice! ;)

Robert Parish may have been a skinny, 7 foot #8 pick in 1976;

but he put up a steady 17 ppg, 11 rpg in his 4 years in Golden State.

He wanted to get paid.

The Warriors had this idea the 7 foot #1 pick Joe Barry Carroll could produce 25 ppg and 12 rpg.

They were wrong.

The Celtics got McHale in the deal, and the player the Warriors took with the #13 pick that they got from the Celtics was a complete bust also.
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#63 » by Maple Green » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:13 am

Trust DA and Clifford Ray plus Doctor Brain to inject a miracle formula on POB. This kid is too young and Celtics is the perfect place for him to start over again. I like Birdman too but DA,Clifford and Doctor Brain have something in their mind.
The question is POB is the second coming of Robert Parish?
elrod enchilada
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#64 » by elrod enchilada » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:13 am

I agree with Pogue and some of the others: this is a great signing. We pay minimum salary and get someone who is 6-11 barefoot, has a 7-5 wingspan, and first-rate tools. The amount of time he plays is limited, but his blocks and steals and assists get your attention.

I agree that there are red flags, but he is only 22. If he flops we have not lost anything; if he makes it, we have a very interesting player.

BillfromBoston says POB has better talent than Tyson Chandler, and that is saying something. Chances are this guy won't make it, that he lacks a love for the game and a competitive fire to work at his game. But there is a chance that he simply needed to grow up and get in a different environment. Don Nelson is a bit of a weirdo. If POB does have what it takes, he is about to enter a perfect environment with the coaches and the vets on the Cs.

Added bonus: if this is for the minimum it means we will still have the full LLE for another decent bench player assuming we use the entire mid-level on Posey.
Albin
Head Coach

Post#65 » by Albin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:21 am

I love this signing. Danny has been snapping up guys I have really liked in the past.

I watched Patrick extensively during his last college year, and I had him fairly high on my draft board that year. It was clear he needed some time to adjust to the NBA game, needs size, strength, experience.. but he has all the physical tools to be a solid rotation player... and if he "gets" it, he'll be a great asset.

His defense at the college level was excellent, and he has great length - something we sorely lacked off the bench this year. I hope Clifford can really help him along, because I think he really fits in with our style of play and what our gaps are.
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,886

Post#66 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:23 am

We got Patrick O'Bryant?

Dinasty, baby! Dynasty!
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#67 » by meatball sub » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:23 am

Remember with Gerald we didn't work him out or anything, we just took him when he fell. We don't know what the brain doc had to say about him so maybe POB has the right brain type? I don't know, I'm still on the fence about him being our backup C.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#68 » by GreenGrizz » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:32 am

We had trouble handling Aaron Gray's size. O' Bryant outplayed him in college. I think I wil take him.
GSW rep da Bay
Freshman

Post#69 » by GSW rep da Bay » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:35 am

good luck with the stiff
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#70 » by GreenGrizz » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:37 am

Everyone called Robert Parish a stiff when he was with Golden State.
Albin
Head Coach

Post#71 » by Albin » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:44 am

bove310 wrote:Remember with Gerald we didn't work him out or anything, we just took him when he fell. We don't know what the brain doc had to say about him so maybe POB has the right brain type? I don't know, I'm still on the fence about him being our backup C.

At this point, I don't think he's won that job yet. We'll see what Danny does the rest of the offseason.

What this move might do is open the door a little bit more for a trade of Powe and/or Big Baby for a more experienced big.

S&T Tony Allen + Powe would fetch something worthwhile.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#72 » by greenbeans » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:56 am

Albin wrote:S&T Tony Allen + Powe would fetch something worthwhile.

+Scal=Ron Artest???
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#73 » by TheCelticTruth » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:53 am

im not interested in moving powe
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#74 » by Celtics_Champs » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:01 am

Ah! ****. I hate this signing.

I called this guy a bust before the draft when some of you wanted him. He turned out to be a bust. And was glad we didn't draft him. Now he signs with us, ugh I thought we were past this guy.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Post#75 » by GregB » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:40 am

I like this signing. You get a young 7fter with the skills to be a serviceable NBA center. For the min so their is almost no risk. He likely starts the year as the 3rd Center/Insurance 7fter. With an outside chance to play himself into the rotation. TIme to do work Clifford Ray.
cavsfan_osiris
Starter
And1: 4

Post#76 » by cavsfan_osiris » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:49 am

Do you guys have your BAE this season? Any news on what he signed for? I'm wondering if Boston is out of the Posey sweepstakes. I can't believe I'm using the term sweepstakes in regards to a 31+ yr old role player, but it is what it is.
much respect to the 2011-2012 champions, Miami Heat, well deserved
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,886

Post#77 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:54 am

cavsfan_osiris wrote:Do you guys have your BAE this season? Any news on what he signed for? I'm wondering if Boston is out of the Posey sweepstakes. I can't believe I'm using the term sweepstakes in regards to a 31+ yr old role player, but it is what it is.

I don't think there's enough information at this point. However, it seems beyond impossible to me that Danny Ainge would give up on Posey to sign this kid.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#78 » by Rocky5000 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:14 am

Ok, so I've changed my mind after reading what some golden state people had to say about him. I think that he could work in the Celtic's system and may have just been a victim of Nellie Ball. I'm willing to give the kid a shot, after all he's a legitimate 7', has a decent shot, good hands, and plays a little D. What more can we ask for from a free agent center? Just as long as the kid brings effort every night, and gets into good shape (if the conditioning thing is true), I think he could help us out.
armageddon
Rookie

Post#79 » by armageddon » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:55 am

There is no arguing that he has a low motor, he was that way in college, and that was his biggest negative in the draft. That however does not make him a bad player. He was still capable of putting up quality numbers in college. Nellie probably dropped him because he didn't fight for his playing time, you can't change a person's personality. Boston will work around this instead of fighting with it, we've been set up as a development system for a while now, GS isn't and they have several young bigs competing for playing time. Still doesn't really justify dropping him.
You can't call him a bust, he's too young and hasn't had a chance yet. It's not his fault he was drafted #9 and hasn't lived up to it yet. I think he also missed significant time his rookie year with a foot problem.
Here he just needs to be developed into a player who can contribute, a piece of the puzzle. GS is still walking around Wal-Mart looking for the right puzzle. Heck, Perk is only a 6pt, 6 rb, guy and started for the champs. POB is a year and a half younger and could give the same to the second string.
He's not going to help this year but giving him a year won't hurt. He will be more useful in practice than Pollard was.
And 1 Amare
Banned User

Post#80 » by And 1 Amare » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:56 am

Great pick up. As a Warriors fan, I always believed in POB but Nellie never gave him a chance.

Patrick is a legit 7 footer with a nice mid range shot, he also has a SKY HOOK in his arsenal. If you guys don't make any additional moves for centers, then I can guarantee you that Patrick will take Perkin's spot in the starting line up by mid season; that is if Doc gives him a chance.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHVPEFam_Og
| Monta Ellis | Marco Belinelli | Anthony Randolph | Brandan Wright | Andris Biedrins |

Return to Boston Celtics