ImageImageImage

Celtics sign Patrick O'Bryant!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,229

Re: Celtics sign Patrick O'Bryant! 

Post#81 » by TheSheriff » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:01 am

And 1 Amare wrote:I can guarantee you that Patrick will take Perkin's spot in the starting line up by mid season; that is if Doc gives him a chance.

Doc does tend to take a while to get young guys PT, but if they show promise he will play them. I think O'Bryant probably has a higher upside than Perk, but he is not yet on Perk's level.
And 1 Amare
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#82 » by And 1 Amare » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:07 am

O'Bryant just needs that drive. Patrick will learn a lot by watching a HOF big man like KG night in and night out; i'm confident that he'll have a break out season with Boston sometime within the next 2 years. I just hate how Golden State fans wrote off Patrick so quickly; they assume that just because Nellie didn't play him it means that he sucks.

Don Nelson makes mistakes like that with young big men; he's never always right, and anyone that completely trusts Nellie's actions is a fool. This is the same guy that made the Warriors trade away a young Chris Webber just because Chris didn't want to play the center position. He's doing the same thing to POB except at a lower scale; he never played POB because "Patrick had a bad attitude".

I mean what's better? Sitting on the bench until you get good, or getting some actual playing time against legit competition and to get motivated from it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHVPEFam_Og
| Monta Ellis | Marco Belinelli | Anthony Randolph | Brandan Wright | Andris Biedrins |
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#83 » by celticfan42487 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:40 am

He's been writing the book with Gerald Green at how to fail with natural talent in the NBA.

Someone here said min? If it is then it's okay.. I was just hoping more for someone who would keep Scalabrine on the bench and Big Baby at PF.

Didn't expect a min signing this early on, more like a month or so from now... I just feel bad that GS actually wasted a top 10 pick on this one.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#84 » by JHTruth » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:50 am

Why not. The kid has potential to at least be a backup, which is all we need. I'm willing to give him a chance. any time you add young size for the min, not too bad
SuperDeluxe
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,937

Post#85 » by SuperDeluxe » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:57 am

SuperDeluxe wrote:I don't think there's enough information at this point. However, it seems beyond impossible to me that Danny Ainge would give up on Posey to sign this kid.

There is enough information now:

Ainge wouldn’t discuss contract particulars, but according to league sources, O’Bryant will get a two-year deal at the minimum, which means the full mid-level exception remains available for Posey or any other combination of players.

and
The Celtics appear to be fairly set in their stance, reportedly not willing to go more than three years at the mid-level for the key reserve.

Source
avi623
Senior
And1: 43

Post#86 » by avi623 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:53 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3471118

This is a great story. Obviously and extreme example. But when I watched O'Bryant in the MVC tourney, he seemed like a guy who was only out there because he had talent, not because he actually liked playing the game. You really cannot teach motor and passion. I'm not sure this guy ever had it.

Nonetheless, he can make a living playing the game somewhere. But Danny cannot think this is the solution. He still needs to sign another proven vet. Unless there is someone who could be bought out at the deadline, someone else needs to be signed. Because although this guy has talent and could end up being good, he is not the backup center on a title contending team.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#87 » by campybatman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:05 am

And 1 Amare wrote:If you guys don't make any additional moves for centers, then I can guarantee you that Patrick will take Perkin's spot in the starting line up by mid season; that is if Doc gives him a chance.

Perkins is entrench as the starting center unless injured. He's a good complement to Garnett's perimeter game and together they're a formidable tandem. If O'Bryant can improve his game beyond what was seen in Golden State in two years. Perhaps, he'll earn a new contract and become Perkins' replacement if after two years Ainge decides to trade Perkins before his last year. He has three years remaining. Right now, I don't see O'Bryant moving ahead of Perkins by mid season next season. I mean Davis is probably ahead of O'Bryant. That is, I see Scalabrine and O'Bryant as the two leading candidates to ride the pine for most of the season. Again, the maturation this summer of Davis could determine whether or not any improvements by O'Bryant is enough to receive minutes as the back up center instead of him early next season.
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#88 » by BillessuR6 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:35 am

That report about his poor workout really looks like it was just a misinformation...

What director of basketball operations Danny Ainge doesn’t believe are reports that the 7-footer was badly winded and thus had a poor showing in a recent session with the Celts.

“I thought he had a fantastic workout with us,” said Ainge, who is still in the hunt to retain free agents James Posey and Eddie House. “The coaches were all really excited about the possibility of working with him.”

And at the minimum with an option for the 2nd year, you have to like this signing...Danny does obviously:

“Everybody brings something different to the table, and we really like Patrick’s potential for us,” Ainge said. “We’ve looked at him and watched a lot of tape. We feel like he’s got a very good upside and we think he can help us now with his length and his skill. When we finished his workout and convened, all the coaches were excited about the chance that he would be with our team.

“I think Patrick’s matured a lot both physically and mentally since we visited with him when he was coming out in the draft.”

As for whether the Celtics are still in the market for a veteran big man, Ainge said, “We’re satisfied with the players we have now on our front line.”
Fencer reregistered
RealGM
And1: 25,692

Post#89 » by Fencer reregistered » Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:39 am

elrod enchilada wrote: If he flops

... then he still won't be ANYTHING like Bill Laimbeer. :D
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#90 » by campybatman » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:09 am

I feel that the O'Bryant signing is good only if Perkins is healthy for next season. Because if Ainge is content right now with only Perkins, Davis and O'Bryant as your big men. Then that places a lot of pressure on the latter two to produce right away if Perkins is slow to come back or experiences lingering effects of his post season injury early on. Still, I'd said that among the big men brought in for workouts in Boston. O'Bryant is probably the one with the most upside to even be a starter and not just a reserve center. Ideally, O'Bryant realizes that this is a great opportunity he has to be on a veteran lead Celtics team, to work with one of the best big men coaches in Clifford Ray and a chance to earn a long term contract if he works hard throughout his time here. If not, and he fails to get it. He'll find himself working out during the off season again trying to convince a team that he can contribute to their team. Because he's somewhat getting the benefit of the doubt being only twenty-two. But, another two seasons of not showing anything isn't going to keep him in the league. His still young age won't matter at that point.

“I think Patrick’s matured a lot both physically and mentally since we visited with him when he was coming out in the draft.”

As for whether the Celtics are still in the market for a veteran big man, Ainge said, “We’re satisfied with the players we have now on our front line.”
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,083

Post#91 » by Twinkie defense » Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:38 am

Can't believe you wasted the vet minimum on Pattycakes.
threrf23
RealGM
And1: 4,402

Post#92 » by threrf23 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:17 am

Looking at NBADraft.net's profile, they list no glaring weaknesses. He was supposed to have a lot of potential, but wasn't supposed to develop into anything very impressive off the bat. They mention he lacks a killer instinct, but also that he fights hard for rebounds. I remember reading good things about him last offseason, he had supposedly improved noticeably all around from the season before (though perhaps he regressed afterwords or the Warriors were trying to develop trade value). I like this gamble, it makes sense.
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,696

Post#93 » by return2glory » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:19 am

I like this signing and started a thread about taking a closer look at POB.

He just turned 22 a few weeks ago, is 7'0 tall with a 7'6 wingspan. He is a good rebounder and can block some shots. He still has a chance to become a very good player in this league. Don't forget that at G.S., they have Don Nelson who loves small ball. This kid never got a chance there.

I'm excited about him being about to work with the best big man coach IMO in Clifford Ray. Alot the signing is a very low risk because we aren't paying me that much. I was suprised that he was a free agent already when I first heard he worked out for us.

Also this doesn't mean much, but when was the last time when had a center that can dunk a ball off an alley-oop. See 1:49 on the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zm7zNa5a ... re=related
buckner1976
Sophomore

Post#94 » by buckner1976 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:21 am

definitely surprised by this choice. but after reading both the globe and herald articles with ainge discussing how excited the coaches are to work with him and o'bryants own recognition of his immaturity coming into the league and his desire to show hes a better player than what hes shown so far im cautiously optimistic. he says hell be working out here in boston over the summer and plans to attend cliff rays big man camp.

im hopin he can be the answer. if he is that means no more kg at center. or at least only sporadic minutes hopefully. which in turns means no more posey(if hes brought back) at the 4, a lineup that made us much weaker defensively last year.
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity..."
bceltic55
Rookie
And1: 62

Post#95 » by bceltic55 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:22 am

For the min, he is worth a shot. Heck Pollard sat the pine and if we really need another big, I am sure DA will find one mid season.
P2
Banned User

Post#96 » by P2 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:21 pm

Twinkie defense wrote:Can't believe you wasted the vet minimum on Pattycakes.

We can still sign other players for the minimum.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#97 » by turk3d » Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:53 pm

As a number have stated, the kid never got a chance. Nellie has a huge disdain for rookies and big men in general, but for some reason it seemed worse for O'Bryant. O'Bryant was not his draft either. Now that Davis is gone, there's only 2 players left on the team since he took over and that's in less than 2 years (Ellis and Biedrens)). O'Bryant was just not his guy from the beginning and Nellie did everything he could possibly do to keep him from succeeding (a strong statement I know, but I believe it to be true). I'm absolutely certain that with your organization (starting with Rivers, Ray and Ainge) that you guys with be able to give him the schooling that he needs to become a decent NBA player. I know that knock on him is that he's lazy and that he has a bad attitude, but that's hogwash. How many NBA players are lazy? What do you expect from a 19 old coming out of college after 1 year?

No coaching whatsoever. Warriors big man coach (we used to have Clifford) Russel Turner did absolutely 0 with him other than agree with Nellie. The worst thing about it imo is that rather than give him a chance to play some (the few times he did he showed something with the exception of just once or twice, I wish I had the time to chronicle some of the things that Nellie did to him) he (Nellie) also seemed to do everything he could to down his reputation. Hey, if he didn't feel O'Bryant fit his style of play or just didn't like him for whatever reason, heck, at least try and build up his trade value so that we could get something decent in return. He did the opposite, and thus now you guys get him for a song. Of course you'll hear from some of the Nellie "Kool aid drinker" who'll say he sucks like Twinkie defense (ask Twinkie how he got his name, lol).

I fully expect O'Bryant to give you a decent backup to Perkins by mid-season and I believe overtime he can overtake him and possibly be your starter because I believe he will be a much better complement to KG mainly because he has nice shot. He can rebound, block shots (he also has a little mean streak I think, perhaps because of his bad treatment on Golden State) and I think he'll be motivated to play for you guys, hey, you guys are the champs. He's not all that fast, but has good footwork for a guy his size. So great move (also slick move by Ainge with the reports that got leaked, I'm amazed that you were able to get him for the min and an option on his second year). You guys can't lose on this one imo. Good luck to you and good luck to him. I look forward to following his progress with you this upcoming season. 7 footers with his length and athleticism just don't grow on trees.
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
jfs1000d
RealGM
And1: 13,985

Post#98 » by jfs1000d » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:11 pm

Good signing. He is lower risk than someone like the druggie birdman. He is also 7-feet and has some girth and length. He is a true center.

So, now celts have a pair of true centers is perk and O'Bryant, then 3 PFs in KG, Baby and Powe. Then you add in Scal. That's 6 front court players. It;s a good frontline.

Celts need backup PG and another wing or TWO. I don't want Posey at 4 years.
Tenbomber
Banned User
And1: 989

Post#99 » by Tenbomber » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:22 pm

Hey lets give the kid a chance....he's young and has the god -given tools.... Let Clifford Ray work his magic!.. let KG give him a little "fear of the lord"!

Besides, who else could you possibly want patroling in "The Garden" paint than "The Jolly Green Giant"?

What a true celtic name!.... Patrick O'Bryant....Me thinks he's in the right place!... its got to work!

Let em all eat cheese cake! :D
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#100 » by bruno sundov » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:31 pm

I thought this kid was a dud. He couldn't crack the rotation in GS of IND with little competition.

Return to Boston Celtics