ImageImageImage

OT: Lakers should agree to an Artest and Thomas for Odom

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

dingodile
Sixth Man
And1: 8
Location: Second Innermost Circle of Hell...a.k.a. Laker Country

Re: OT: Lakers should agree to an Artest and Thomas for Odom 

Post#16 » by dingodile » Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:28 pm

I just don't see how this helps Sac Town. Assuming they would let Lamar walk at season's end, then the only benefit of the deal is shedding Kenny Thomas' contract. But only two more years remain on his deal, so they'd only save themselves one year and they're not paying the luxury tax. Also, it appears that they're planing on making a push for the free agent class of 2010, not 2009, as Miller, SAR, and Thomas' contracts all expire at that time.

So it all boils down to this... Sac would only get out of Thomas' contract one year early, while they would potentially make the Lakers (not only a conference, but a division opponent) very strong for many years to come. Just doesn't add up.
"I can tell you my testicles are the same size," he added later. "They haven't shrunk. They're the same and work just the same as they always have." - Barry Bonds disputing allegations of steroid use.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#17 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:07 am

dingodile wrote:I just don't see how this helps Sac Town. Assuming they would let Lamar walk at season's end, then the only benefit of the deal is shedding Kenny Thomas' contract. Just doesn't add up.
You just answered your own thoughts. Adds up fine in Sac Town and LA quite well.

Kings get cap space and could be a major player in 09 free agent sweep stakes. And Lakers get a SF who can defend and a over paid PF who hustles and gives you what Ronny does, plus his contract give the Lakers decent space after the 09-10 season.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#18 » by campybatman » Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:34 am

One point which is being missed is: The Lakers are getting Artest at a bargain assuming if this trade were to go through. Because how much in salary would the Lakers have had committed to Artest had he opted out? Remember Artest was attracting enough interest from other teams besides the Lakers to drive up his price. You would've had to sign him to a contract higher than the MLE.
dingodile
Sixth Man
And1: 8
Location: Second Innermost Circle of Hell...a.k.a. Laker Country

Post#19 » by dingodile » Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:56 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
dingodile wrote:I just don't see how this helps Sac Town. Assuming they would let Lamar walk at season's end, then the only benefit of the deal is shedding Kenny Thomas' contract. Just doesn't add up.
You just answered your own thoughts. Adds up fine in Sac Town and LA quite well.

Kings get cap space and could be a major player in 09 free agent sweep stakes. And Lakers get a SF who can defend and a over paid PF who hustles and gives you what Ronny does, plus his contract give the Lakers decent space after the 09-10 season.

Maybe you should have kept reading.
"I can tell you my testicles are the same size," he added later. "They haven't shrunk. They're the same and work just the same as they always have." - Barry Bonds disputing allegations of steroid use.
MVP4LIFE
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#20 » by MVP4LIFE » Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:22 am

I think the Lakers should take a chance on this one. In potential they'd have a fantastic team and balance. Kobe and Phil should be able to calm down Artest.
Artest and the Kings won't work anymore after his latest comments. Besides, I never heard anything about Artest being such a good factor on the Kings. Maybe these stories are now out there, to up his value? But I haven't been following the Kings and Artest very closely, so maybe I'm wrong about his role on the Kings.. But I also believe Lamar Odom is a great player and someone who could help the Kings.
"Watching his work ethic, his dedication and, again, his passion that he brings every single day. It's something that I've looked at and said that if I had to design a NBA player, I'd first design him with the heart of Kevin Garnett." Jet
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#21 » by GuyClinch » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:21 am

Of course the Lakers should do it. But Sac might as well just hold Kenny Thomas for the extra year though and turn his negative into a positive. They aren't at the cap - and they are not going to go broke with the Maloofs in charge.

This sounds more like a dream for the Lakers then anything positive for the Kings..
rambo_ortega
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#22 » by rambo_ortega » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 pm

i think odom will be playing well in the kings style and would greatly contribute especially on offense.

with the lakers, getting artest and kt is really huge for them. artest is the best they can get fromwhat they need at the starting sf spot in an elite level while kt can fill turiaf's void and bring toughness off the bench to match the intensity of someone like powe.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#23 » by campybatman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:09 am

This is becoming odd now.

In a series of e-mails he sent to ESPN.com late Saturday and early Sunday, Artest continued to lament his decision to pass on an opportunity to become a free agent July 1 by announcing that he is now representing himself without an agent and expressing hope that he will soon be traded to "a team out there that can be more committed than Sacramento to me."

That team is believed to be the Los Angeles Lakers. Almost from the minute they were routed by the Boston Celtics in Game 6 of the NBA Finals -- which Artest attended in Boston to root for friends Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom -- it has been strongly expected throughout the league that the Lakers would revisit their longstanding trade interest in Artest and eventually acquire the enigmatic forward sometime this summer to address the defense and toughness issues that the Celtics exposed.

But NBA front-office sources told ESPN.com on Sunday that the Lakers -- fond as they are of Artest and confident as they are that they can get the best out of him through Phil Jackson's coaching and Artest's respect for Bryant -- are reluctant to part with Odom in an Artest swap. That stance, if the Lakers hold firm, would almost certainly prompt Sacramento to look elsewhere for a trade partner.

The most consistent trade chatter involving Artest suggests that the Kings would want Odom in return for Artest and Kings forward Kenny Thomas.

Artest, for his part, is now openly pushing for a move, telling ESPN.com that he's suddenly feeling a chill from Kings co-owners Joe and Gavin Maloof in the same desert where, just two summers ago in 2006, Joe Maloof proclaimed him to be the new "face of our franchise."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3485534
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,741

Post#24 » by meatball sub » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:25 am

if the laker board killed mangina, me-sa gonna be pissed off.
JCizzle
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#25 » by JCizzle » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:58 am

bove310 wrote:if the laker board killed mangina, me-sa gonna be pissed off.

**** bitches.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#26 » by sully00 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:30 am

They cannot know the curse they are bringing down on their house.

Let those Fakers rot in a steaming pot of their own fear.

WAR MANG.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#27 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:29 pm

GuyClinch wrote:Of course the Lakers should do it. But Sac might as well just hold Kenny Thomas for the extra year though and turn his negative into a positive. They aren't at the cap - and they are not going to go broke with the Maloofs in charge.

This sounds more like a dream for the Lakers then anything positive for the Kings..

This^ although who knows, maybe Stern will force the Kings to do this...just like how he looked the other way when they "traded" for Gasol... 8-) :lol:
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#28 » by campybatman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:46 pm

Well, now Miami is in the picture for Artest. Marion in exchange for Artest and Thomas. I would act on it if I were the Heat but that would mean Artest in the east and getting under Pierce's skin.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#29 » by sully00 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:02 am

I understand the idea of Odom for Artest. I like Odom a lot but he is a PF not a SF especially defensively and he also needs the ball in his hands. So for LA Artest is a true SF with toughness, defense, and he can score even if completely crazy. I also think Odom would be a nice pick up for the Kings and there line up.

Artest to Miami is just stupid. Marion is a better player and not crazy and can play the 3 or the 4. Because of his game and salary Marion should be able to land Miami more than Artest and an overpaid backup PF.
tdfoss
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#30 » by tdfoss » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:03 pm

threrf23 wrote:Kings are not a great team to begin with, and they'd be losing their best player. Odom's good but not as good as Artest.

But, Bynum/Gasol/Artest/Kobe/Whoever, with serviceable role players on the bench, would put LA in a hell of a position if this rumor is credible.

If you go to nba.com look at Odom's and Artests CAREER stats, they are almost identical. Actually Odoms are slightly better. Last year Odom was the 3rd option, Artest was a #1 option on a lesser team.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by campybatman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:35 am

sully00 wrote:Artest to Miami is just stupid. Marion is a better player and not crazy and can play the 3 or the 4. Because of his game and salary Marion should be able to land Miami more than Artest and an overpaid backup PF.

Purely, from a talent standpoint, I would rather have Artest ahead of Marion. To me, Artest does so many things for your team defensively and he has improved offensively. Yes, Artest can be a mental case but he's arguable one of the best defensive small forwards in the league along with players such as Bowen, Battier and G. Wallace. Not to mention, with his size and height, he can guard multiple positions and can start at or back up the small forward and shooting guard positions. Conversely, Marion has an ego to match his salary. I think Marion's a better rebounder and is more athletic. But, I believe Artest could do just as many things you ask of him as Marion.

A trade between Miami and Sacramento is good for Marion's ego. He'll only have to share the spotlight with K. Martin. Actually, Odom probably makes more sense going to the Heat than the Kings. Riley is said to still like Odom. And having Odom affords you more time to develop Beasley into a power forward. Maybe they start them both together.
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#32 » by GuyClinch » Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:15 am

^^^ Agreed. Marion certainly plays his A game more often. But Artest at his best was better then Marion IMHO. Marion is very limited in what he can do WITH the ball. he is amazingly effective off the ball but I remember watching him and Joe Johnson in a Suns playoff battle and thinking how much better JJ is when you NEED to get a bucket.

Pete
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by campybatman » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:47 pm

Add Dallas to the mix. Reportedly, the Mavericks could offer the expiring contract of Stackhouse and Bass for Artest. However, it isn't mentioned if Thomas is involved...

The Kings would probably like Josh Howard from Dallas but as the Los Angeles Lakers are reluctant to part with Lamar Odom, Artest's "difficult" personality will probably prevent Sacramento from landing such well established players.

Bass may garner interest elsewhere if the Mavs truly want to move him, but the Kings aren't the slightest bit interested in acquiring him for Artest. HoopsWorld
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by campybatman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:58 pm

This is interesting considering that there were enough people on here that wanted K. Brown to make one cringe.

Faced with a “weird” situation with center Andrew Bynum, the Los Angeles Lakers are toying with the thought of bringing back Kwame Brown, a free agent.

The Lakers made it to the NBA Finals last season and found themselves in a collection of dire mismatches with Boston. For starters, Los Angeles had no one to contend with Celtics center Kendrick Perkins’ size and strength. “They could have used Kwame in the Finals,” said one Lakers insider.

Tex Winter, the longtime coach and team consultant, was in Las Vegas to evaluate the Lakers’ summer league team. Winter said he is totally out of the loop on personnel decisions with the team and hadn’t heard of the Kwame deliberation, but Winter said it makes sense, especially for Lakers coach Phil Jackson. “Phil has always liked Kwame,” Winter said. “Phil’s always felt that defensively he’s pretty good.”

Then there’s Jackson’s fascination with Sacramento forward Ron Artest. Would the Lakers trade Lamar Odom to get him? Jeanie Buss supposedly insists that Odom is safe, but the Busses are moving through another summer of discontent, looking for an answer. HoopsHype.com
GuyClinch
RealGM

Post#35 » by GuyClinch » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:38 pm

Kwame is likely better then POB will ever be. I know that's sad but its the truth.

Return to Boston Celtics