ImageImageImage

New Orleans increases the probability that Posey's gone

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Re: New Orleans increases the probability that Posey's gone 

Post#41 » by sully00 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:37 pm

In reference to Boston's cap in 10/11 they will have a little over 44 mil in salary tied up in PP, KG, and Perk and a cap hold of 3 mil on Rondo and be looking at a cap of close 60 million dollars. They will have a ton of holes to fill that way but they would certainly have a ton of cap space. They can use the space and the resign Rondo over the cap much like PHI is looking to do.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#42 » by campybatman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:06 pm

Jammer wrote:Spears has another version in Monday's (today's) Globe:

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... ion_1.html

Seems like Mark Spears is now reporting (Monday, June 14) that the Celtics may have only offered the full mid-level for 2 years.

I know various columns have had it at 3, including ESPN. Maybe one writer was parroting another, and the initial one who said it got it wrong.

Anyway, Posey and House are supposed to be in town tonight. Maybe Posey will accept today.

I think you'd meant to write July.

If Boston's offer was only two years. Then I can see why isn't resigned with the Celtics yet. Still, Posey hasn't signed with another team neither. So, perhaps Ainge and agent are still talking it out. I mean Posey's still in Boston or around.
spf211
RealGM
And1: 42

Post#43 » by spf211 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:38 am

Is Posey the only way to win a championship? No.

But Posey is a proven championship roleplayer -- yes roleplayer, you need some.

So what we're really looking at here is keeping your most significant roleplayer to hopefully repeat or win again in the next two years or try to figure out another way to do it.

Posey can play three positions, is an exceptional defensive player, and has a confident outside shot that spreads the floor. There is not a player out there that replaces this -- particularly a player that can be had for the MLE or less.

Not Darius Miles. Azibuke. Matt Barnes. None of these players are aggressive instigators.

So Bill is right -- no one player will replace Posey, you're going to have to hope that a number of different players step in and fill larger roles.

Fast forward to Pierce's "walk year," again I don't see how we keep Pierce and get $10 million under the cap unless KG is gone. Even if we could keep Pierce and get $10 million under, you're looking at bringing in a FA who may or may not be enough to make the Celtics a championship contender.

While I would hate to see the Celtics hand-cuff themselves financially, I can't recall the last time a big FA signing turned (or kept) a team into contenders. Shaq in LA? He was traded to make Miami happen. Rasheed Wallace was traded to Detroit before they won a title. All of San Antonio's marquee players are draftees.

It is still more likely the Celtics use Ray Allen and/or a combination of salaries to trade for a major piece that will keep them competitive instead of signing a free agent that makes the difference. That's how the NBA has operated.

We're essentially saying break up a formula we're confident can compete for the next two years in favor of hoping young players can fill the gap next year or that we can sign a major FA in two years.

I just don't think that's smart, to be honest. A bird in the hand is worth...
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by sully00 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:22 am

What don't you see as far as 10/11 goes?

First of all chances are it will not be Pierce's walk year, he will likely get an extension next season that reduces his number for that season simliar to what Garnett did.

Boston has 3 guaranteed contracts for that season, and Rondo. They have a first round pick they are playing games with and no pick next season.

I don't think that Boston will use the space to necessarily sign a player, more likely they aquire another Ray Allen. But the risk as far as Posey is minimal because nobody else is going to want to screw with their salary flexibility in '10/11 either.

But you can't say that isn't how it works in the NBA and then take Shaq out of the equation he is half the championships won over the last 15 years. Essentially Tim Duncan has been a FA signing twice he just resigned in SA. Besides that it is Wallace, KG and then we are talking about Jordan and Olajuwon.

Back to SA for a minute while they have gone with guys they have drafted that was their choice they are constantly players in FA with cap flexibility. They set a value on their guys and hold to it and if you leave you leave, they know people want to play with Duncan.

What has been proven is signing role players to overmarket contracts can kill a championship window. Go ask KG's last boss what happens when you start throwing around 5 year MLE contracts to role players.
PPAW4Life
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#45 » by PPAW4Life » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:49 am

If Posey is let go then we are going to make the same mistake the Miami Heat did.

Who knows whats going to happen 4 or 5 years down the line. What we do know is that Posey can still be productive within the same contract years as the Big 3 and we will be title contenders every year.

If we don't get Posey and spend the MLE on no one then we aren't going to make it past the ECF IMO.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#46 » by campybatman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:59 am

PPAW4Life wrote:If we don't get Posey and spend the MLE on no one then we aren't going to make it past the ECF IMO.

I can't fathom the thought... But, I think Ainge would split the MLE on two players before he wouldn't use it. Bostjan Nachbar, Matt Barnes and Kirk Snyder to name a few candidates still available.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by campybatman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:09 pm

In my opinion, at the risk of somewhat upsetting or disappointing Pierce, Garnett and (Ray Allen), it's business, Ainge needs to throw in the towel. It's over and done. Boston isn't offering even three years and I'll like to know who'll pony up four years out of the other teams that are said to be pursuing Posey too. It's time to get over Posey. I don't see how one can be optimistic. Neither party will budge. Posey I believe said it best yesterday that both sides have to do what's best for them.

The Celtics seem willing to give Posey the full $5.5 million mid-level exception, but it seems doubtful that it will be offered more than two years. The 31-year-old seems interested in getting a four-year deal. Other teams potentially interested in Posey include Detroit, Washington and Cleveland. Boston Globe

Although Boston Celtics free agent James Posey is uncertain where he will play next season, he remains interested in the Hornets. "There is certainly interest on both sides," said Mark Bartelstein, who represents Posey. "We have had a lot of continued talks." New Orleans Times-Picayune
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,460

Post#48 » by shackles10 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:04 am

We are a team full of guys with championship experience now. Are you guys forgetting that we just won a title?? Not to take that away from James, but that factor by itself is not as important to the team as it was last year.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by sully00 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:39 am

PPAW4Life wrote:If Posey is let go then we are going to make the same mistake the Miami Heat did.

Who knows whats going to happen 4 or 5 years down the line. What we do know is that Posey can still be productive within the same contract years as the Big 3 and we will be title contenders every year.

If we don't get Posey and spend the MLE on no one then we aren't going to make it past the ECF IMO.

C'mon now you aren't serious. I mean I like Posey and I think we are a better team with him than without but if we sign Posey to a 5.6 mil contract and he blows his knee out in camp you are throwing in the towel? We can't beat the Pistons or Cavs without Posey?
Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#50 » by Rocky5000 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:46 am

PPAW4Life wrote:If Posey is let go then we are going to make the same mistake the Miami Heat did.

The Miami Heat's problem last year wasn't letting Posey go. It was much bigger than that, Wade being injured most of the year, Haslem being injured, Mourning injured, Shaq declining, trading for Ricky Davis and Mark Blount, and starting a bunch of d-league players in order to tank for the top pick. On top of that they lost Posey and Kapono to FA, and Gary Payton to retirement. But Posey was just the tip of the iceburg...If Posey were on the Heat last year, I doubt they win any more than 2 extra games because of it. When Posey was on their team following up the championship, they didn't repeat...maybe they should have made some changes at the point
NashtyNas
RealGM
And1: 1,887

Post#51 » by NashtyNas » Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:17 am

grantlongforpresident wrote:
Rocky5000 wrote:Cya later James. Sign House, TA, and Azubuike or Miles (if his workout was indeed impressive, and not an Ainge jedi-mind trick, like O'Bryant being winded.). That's all we need. Posey would be playing fewer minutes this year anyways with the emergence of Leon as the backup PF. To this team, he's not worth what he's asking. I'm sure Posey will do well on the Hornets with Paul finding him for open 3s.

Posey gets no respect. rocky you are a crackhead if you think that Azubuike or Darius Miles will even come close to replicating Posey's impact on a game.

i wouldnt say crackhead, because thats plain harsh. Delusional? Probably.
campybatman
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by campybatman » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:05 pm

As they say, I'm sorry to see you go but it's time to move on, finally.

Celtics free agent James Posey signed a four-year deal with New Orleans today, according to his agent Mark Bartelstien.

Return to Boston Celtics