ImageImageImage

Marbury says Celtics on his radar

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Re: Marbury says Celtics on his radar 

Post#21 » by bruno sundov » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:16 am

I will take G$ back first. He would do a better job of being the back up point. Even if he can't get the ball upcourt. It would just mean the celtics have to get into Defense quicker when G$ is at the pg.
P2
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#22 » by P2 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:56 am

I think Marbury's main intention coming to Boston would be to take over the starting PG spot, which he definitely won't get, and if we're high on Pruitt and want to give him 10-15 MPG this season, Marbury won't be signed. And I bet Marbury doesn't know yet that we won't even spend a penny more than the minimum to sign him. So Marbury is probably hoping for both money and playing time, but he would get neither. If he is willing to accept that, and PGA can keep him under control, I like this signing.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,084

Post#23 » by Bad-Thoma » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:38 pm

This is all pretty far-fetched at this point, and I'm really glad. Starbury has had a screw loose since day one, "maybe" being around ubuntu could change him, "maybe" one of the most popular players coaches in the league could help him, "maybe" he could accept coming off the bench. Maybe he could have a cranial enema and drain all the **** going wrong in his head right out his ear. Maybe the Brain Doctor could learn to operate. If he somehow on a one-in-a-million ended up here I would be rooting for these things, but I wouldn't send any money off to Vegas on the odds of any of them happening.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#24 » by MyInsatiableOne » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:59 pm

RedSoxFan729 wrote:Ha! And you all complained about Cassell...

No kidding...as much as I hated Cassell, I'd welcome him back with open arms over Marbury...
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#25 » by GreenGrizz » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:23 pm

I welcome everyone who wants to be a celtic.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#26 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:24 pm

We just had a thread bashing Gerald Green and all his horribleness and how such a person can never have success in the NBA and now in a matter of a week it's followed by:

Oh O'Bryant has only gone from a top 10 pic to vet min salary.. there is nothing wrong with that he's just Parish!!

Oh! Marbury will reform if he was here!!

I give up.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#27 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:38 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:We just had a thread bashing Gerald Green and all his horribleness and how such a person can never have success in the NBA and now in a matter of a week it's followed by:

Oh O'Bryant has only gone from a top 10 pic to vet min salary.. there is nothing wrong with that he's just Parish!!

I give up.

First, to be fair, not many here are for starbury. Most posters do not want him.

Second, you make an excellent point about o'bryant and GG.

By the way, anyone here about starburys new tattoo, he now has a 3 on his temple. :lol:
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#28 » by bruno sundov » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:38 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:We just had a thread bashing Gerald Green and all his horribleness and how such a person can never have success in the NBA and now in a matter of a week it's followed by:

I give up.

I agee. I don't understand the whole obsession with O'B and starbury.
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#29 » by Athanacropolis » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:03 pm

Bruno, I don't know who is "obsessed" with O'Bryant, outside of the "potential" and "tremendous upside" devotees on this board, but as for myself, if O'Bryant can give the team Scot Pollard-style play in Scot Pollard minutes, it's a good signing. No one's asking him to be a superstar.

As for Marbury, again, too many "ifs" and "maybes." I'd rather have Artest, if we're headcase shopping.
floyd
Bench Warmer
And1: 648

Post#30 » by floyd » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:29 pm

I hope we get him, but with the understanding that if he steps on anybody's toes, he's cut. He could be our version of Nick the Quick on Dallas. This team could really use a scorer off the bench.
floyd
Bench Warmer

Post#31 » by floyd » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:37 pm

I hope we get him, but with the understanding that if he steps on anybody's toes, he's cut. He could be our version of Nick the Quick on Dallas. This team could really use a scorer off the bench.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#32 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:53 pm

Ugh, please stay away from Marbury. It would be one thing if he could come in and accept a role on the bench, but there is no way that Starbury thinks he should sit behind Rajon Rondo. If we had Chris Paul and we brought in Marbury, MAYBE he understands. But behind a PG who he probably sees as a marginal player? No effing way.

Plus, we just don't need him. Gabe Pruitt gives us the same size and shooting. Is he the dribbler/passer Stephon is? No way. But he'll also give 2-3x the effort, without a word of complaint.
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#33 » by TheCelticTruth » Mon Jul 14, 2008 5:43 pm

i dont think anyone needs to worry about this. if marbury is brought in, it would only be on our terms.

in which case we could feel good about it because while cassell is still a good player, hes not nearly as close to his peak as stephon is, and we would be getting a talented player at a cheap price, obviously DA, Doc, KG, PP, and Ray would all have signed off on the move if it happened.

Sig by twolves4ever
Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC
"ubuntu"
celticsfanforlife
Pro Prospect
And1: 44

Post#34 » by celticsfanforlife » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:31 pm

Im fully on board for Starbury. One year deal with him knowing he'd be coming off the bench, but also him knowing he'd be the first off the bench for either the 1 or 2...and a mutual option for the second year..chemistry would not be a problem at all...the fact that we won a championship this year means a lot for that
Tenbomber
Banned User
And1: 989

Post#35 » by Tenbomber » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:08 pm

GreenGrizz wrote:I welcome everyone who wants to be a celtic.

Thats the way I see it too....

I'd have some reservations bringing Marbury in on the team we had two years ago with all the young players.... but not on the present championship team.....

There's a high standard there that Marbury would have to live up to.....and if for some reason he didn't, He would be outta here quick.....I think he knows and understands this...

With this group it's perform to your highest potential or hit the road.....

For veteran minimum.... If he wants to be a Celtic, with all his talent and despite his lousy history, I say we give him a shot and root him on!
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by bruno sundov » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:18 pm

Athanacropolis wrote:Bruno, I don't know who is "obsessed" with O'Bryant, outside of the "potential" and "tremendous upside" devotees on this board, but as for myself, if O'Bryant can give the team Scot Pollard-style play in Scot Pollard minutes, it's a good signing. No one's asking him to be a superstar.

As for Marbury, again, too many "ifs" and "maybes." I'd rather have Artest, if we're headcase shopping.

Scott Pollard gave you nothing in limited minutes. That is what you want? I want a kid who will hit the glass and score. Like Leon does every single game. So many are obsessed with this kid it is silly. I could show you every point he ever scored in a 3 minute highlight reel. But he has potential. Remember how much of our time was wasted on potential.

Give me a guy who can play right now. Give me PJ brown anyday over this kid.
floyd
Bench Warmer

Post#37 » by floyd » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:22 pm

bruno sundov wrote:
Athanacropolis wrote:Bruno, I don't know who is "obsessed" with O'Bryant, outside of the "potential" and "tremendous upside" devotees on this board, but as for myself, if O'Bryant can give the team Scot Pollard-style play in Scot Pollard minutes, it's a good signing. No one's asking him to be a superstar.

Scott Pollard gave you nothing in limited minutes. That is what you want? I want a kid who will hit the glass and score. Like Leon does every single game. So many are obsessed with this kid it is silly. I could show you every point he ever scored in a 3 minute highlight reel. But he has potential. Remember how much of our time was wasted on potential.

Name a player over 6-10 that isn't retiring that you'd take over him for the vet min. The kid is big and J O'Neil and Elton Brand just showed up in the division - that's why people are happy with the signing.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,084

Post#38 » by Bad-Thoma » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:34 pm

bruno sundov wrote:

Unfortunately, PJ Brown ain't walkin through that door.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by bruno sundov » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:04 pm

floyd wrote:
bruno sundov wrote:

Name a player over 6-10 that isn't retiring that you'd take over him for the vet min. The kid is big and J O'Neil and Elton Brand just showed up in the division - that's why people are happy with the signing.

The one guy is PJ Brown. But I'm repeating myself. What is antoine carr doing these days? He plays a mean bass.
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#40 » by TheCelticTruth » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:06 pm

bruno sundov wrote:

bruno i dont really get the issue. no one is obsessed here. people are glad that there is upside for a minimum signing. no one was obsessed with bartolo colon, but considering the money the deal worked out very well for the sox because he contributed.

o'bryant has basically been written off, but his potential isnt gone, that is what people like. i guess we shouldnt talk about what goes on with the celtics huh? that is all that is happening. no one is proclaiming him our starter or in line to have his jersey retired or anything.

and i have to tell you, you are entirely wrong to say we "wasted" our time on potential, becaus ethe frustrations of the pre-KG period resulted in adding Ray and KG. if we didn't have those players with potential, we had nothing to trade for either guy. is that what you call a waste? seriously?

i like banner 17 personally.

Sig by twolves4ever

Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC

"ubuntu"

Return to Boston Celtics