ImageImageImage

Marbury says Celtics on his radar

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Colossus
Rookie
And1: 108

Re: Marbury says Celtics on his radar 

Post#41 » by Colossus » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:03 pm

I for one would welcome him with open arms..

He's probably the craziest player in the NBA, but if he's healed and been working out as hard as he claims, he would be a big help as our backup PG and gunner off the bench.

With KG, Pierce, and Ray on the team, I'm 100% sure they could get Marbury to buy into Ubuntu. He would be a better version of House for us, with handles and better passing. We can't pass that up, especially on the cheap. If he doesn't work, we can just trade him or release him, easy as that. Very low risk, very high reward for a former top flight PG.
Colossus
Rookie
And1: 108

Post#42 » by Colossus » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:07 pm

I can see his impact a lot like how Nick Van Exel was for the Mavs in the 02/03 season, when he put up 19 a game in the playoffs.. Van Exel was 31 back then as well, same as Marbury now. His experience would be very useful for us in crunch time.
floyd
Bench Warmer
And1: 648

Post#43 » by floyd » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:15 pm

The one guy is PJ Brown. But I'm repeating myself. What is antoine carr doing these days? He plays a mean bass.

And now I'm repeating myself. A big guy that is NOT retiring. And if PJ changes his mind I'm sure he's back regardless so what's the BFD?

Antoine Carr is celebrating his 47th birthday next week:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... ran01.html
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#44 » by billfromBoston » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:46 pm

...Marbury for cheap is a great idea IMO...while one of my least favorite players overall, he isn't a "bad" guy, just a delusional player about his level of ability...

Marbury's game is just screaming for "bench-gunner-6th man" which is exactly what he'd be doing for Boston...on top of that, he enjoys an excellent relationship with KG and has the weight of GPA resting on his shoulders...

As arrogant and egotistical as Marbury has been, he knows this is th end of the line...he's not a star commodity anymore and this is his last chance to salvage his reputation as an NBA player of substance...if he succeeds here he'll have accomplished a great deal for himself...

...go for it...
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,141

Post#45 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:33 pm

billfromBoston wrote:...Marbury for cheap is a great idea IMO...while one of my least favorite players overall, he isn't a "bad" guy, just a delusional player about his level of ability...

Marbury's game is just screaming for "bench-gunner-6th man" which is exactly what he'd be doing for Boston...on top of that, he enjoys an excellent relationship with KG and has the weight of GPA resting on his shoulders...

As arrogant and egotistical as Marbury has been, he knows this is th end of the line...he's not a star commodity anymore and this is his last chance to salvage his reputation as an NBA player of substance...if he succeeds here he'll have accomplished a great deal for himself...

...go for it...

This move would fit right in to what Ainge has been saying which is he wants to find more offense off the bench. I believe that was the main reason the Celtics showed interest in James Jones. I could see Marbury going to Boston.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#46 » by campybatman » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:49 pm

If Marbury were to sign with the Celtics this off season. Cough, cough... Please, no. Cough. Then it should be legally written in his contract as one of many stipulations that Marbury isn't allowed to speak to the media before or after or at any point during the regular season and playoffs next season. Personally, I would take this measure a step further and include speaking to Rivers and teammates as long as he's a Celtic. Just play basketball and accept your role as a back up point guard and sometime off guard. This is what you've to do. You've to put a muzzle on them in the legal sense.

Do you really want to figure out what he's saying most of the time, anyways?
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#47 » by bruno sundov » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:57 am

Starbury for any price is a bad idea. He is just not a smart person. Sorry, the guy lacks common sense severly. Where is my favorite stephon clips. The one when he is ranting,"We got Zach Randolph."

Then the one where is on the TV show and looks baked. Talks complete nonsense.

He is poor teammate and a "mistake prone individual" off the court.

He is the exact opposite of what we want on this team.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#48 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:21 pm

^^Absolutely. The same dopes who keep saying they "welcome anyone who wants to be a Celtic" don't get it. Would they want Ruben Patterson, Zac Randolph, or any other number of bad apple clubhouse cancers? Not me. That's not called smart, it's selling your collective soul (and that of the C's)...
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#49 » by Athanacropolis » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:23 pm

I'd take him maybe if he got the Celtics logo tattooed on the other side of his head.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#50 » by Andrew McCeltic » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:20 pm

How many rings does Dennis Rodman have?
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#51 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:30 pm

Athanacropolis wrote:I'd take him maybe if he got the Celtics logo tattooed on the other side of his head.

I just saw a pic of that on SI.com...absolutely hideous...just like Marbury, inside and out.
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
And1: 0
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#52 » by TheCelticTruth » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:54 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:^^Absolutely. The same dopes who keep saying they "welcome anyone who wants to be a Celtic" don't get it. Would they want Ruben Patterson, Zac Randolph, or any other number of bad apple clubhouse cancers? Not me. That's not called smart, it's selling your collective soul (and that of the C's)...

i can see that, but for some reason i never saw marbury in that category of guy. hes had quite a few outstanding examples of insanity the last couple years, but i dont recall anything like that before NY. im not going to go out of my way to advocate him coming here, but you have to figure if all the guys who would need to be on board with bringing him in were, a guy with his talent would be a steal for a low price. thats how i feel

Sig by twolves4ever
Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC
"ubuntu"
Tenbomber
Banned User
And1: 989

Post#53 » by Tenbomber » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:48 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:^^Absolutely. The same dopes who keep saying they "welcome anyone who wants to be a Celtic" don't get it. Would they want Ruben Patterson, Zac Randolph, or any other number of bad apple clubhouse cancers? Not me. That's not called smart, it's selling your collective soul (and that of the C's)...

You looking to start something bub?

Have some respect for other's differing opinions...
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,515

Post#54 » by canman1971 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:51 pm

Tenbomber wrote:

You looking to start something bub?

Have some respect for other's differing opinions...

I agree. Chill out and respect others MyInsatiableOne. Thanks.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#55 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:34 pm

Sorry guys. I just get tired of people being so blindly following of anything Ainge does or the team does...I love the team as much as everyone here, but they're not infallible the same way some folks on here think. And usually (not in this thread, but in the past) they proceed to browbeat those of us who dissent a little. Sorry for being a little harsh...I'll try to hold my tongue (er, keyboard) next time!
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,684

Post#56 » by Celtic Esquire » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:33 pm

No way in the world do I want a cancer like Marbury on the team.

This isn't fantasy basketball and Marbury isn't all of a sudden going to get a brain or attitude transplant when he puts on a Celtics jersey.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#57 » by bruno sundov » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:38 pm

Celtic Esquire wrote:No way in the world do I want a cancer like Marbury on the team.

This isn't fantasy basketball and Marbury isn't all of a sudden going to get a brain or attitude transplant when he puts on a Celtics jersey.

YOu can't say that now it's insenitive.LOL.

Starbury is who he is. End of story.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#58 » by MyInsatiableOne » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:42 pm

bruno sundov wrote:
Celtic Esquire wrote:No way in the world do I want a cancer like Marbury on the team.

YOu can't say that now it's insenitive.LOL.

Starbury is who he is. End of story.

Too true. Sorry..."Danny is God, he can do no wrong, I want to have his baby, etc blah blah"

That being said, bringing Marbury in is a BAD idea...he's a loser, mentally and physically...he would get beat down by KG and PP within 2 months of the season starting and derail our chances for #18...
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach

Post#59 » by bruno sundov » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:52 pm

I have faith in DA but man there is no way he is considering this cat. None at all I tell you.
floyd
Bench Warmer
And1: 648

Post#60 » by floyd » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:54 pm

If becomes available for the vet min, he'll be the only guy available that has the ability to give yah 20 pts off the pine in a playoff game. If he became a cancer they'd just cut him and I hardly think Marbury could put a dent in Ubuntu. Nick wasn't known as such a good teammate (if I remember right), but he was huge for Dallas at the end of his career.

Return to Boston Celtics