ImageImageImage

james posey to the NO HORNETS

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Re: james posey to the NO HORNETS 

Post#46 » by Rocky5000 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:15 pm

Well this makes the offseason way more interesting. Definitely going to be at least one new face on the team.
JR Hawks
Starter
And1: 892

Post#47 » by JR Hawks » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:16 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:What do you mean?

None of that money affects Posey at all. We could've offered the full MLE for 4 or 5 years, thats the most we could offer him. We chose not to based on long term cap flexibility.

I am sad to see Posey go, but you cant just offer guys whatever you want if you are over the cap. Walker and POB are minimum contract guys so theyhave virtually no risk, so even if one of them ends up contributing those were good signings.

-Dizzy

You need to look beyond the pseudo-salary cap created by the luxury tax and understand that there are real dollars being spent in the here and now.

The cash spent on the 2nd round pick and POB this year is real money. And because real money was spent on that garbage this year, its much easier for the owners to get nervous about paying Posey this year (nevermind year 4). So why not just cut Posey lose while appeasing the fans by offereing Posey a contract you know he won't accept?

Or are you assuming that the Celtics will now turn around and make the Posey offer to somebody else? I have a feeling you're going to be sorely disappointed if that's the case.
ryaningf
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,738

Post#48 » by ryaningf » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:22 pm

Oh, God, let's all jump off a bridge or something. Posey did what was right for him, we did what was right for us. Posey can be replaced. The key to any winning team is chemistry, and that's not a product of one player, it's a product of all the players coming together and sacrificing for a common goal. If the players do that again, we can win another championship, with or without Posey. This is about all the players and how they come together. Posey was big...last year. Now we need to find a good replacement and get everyone to buy in again to what Thibs and Doc are selling. We can do it without Posey.

Any plan B now that Posey is gone that doesn't include Tony Allen is a suspect plan. He's the best value on the market right now, and we can resign him with his Bird rights, leaving the MLE for a 3 point shooting 3/4 or backup point. We desperately need Tony's defense and penetration ability and there's not another player out there that can bring it like Tony does. Don't fool yourself, Giddens may be good, Bill Walker may be a huge steal, but counting on them to replace what a healthy Tony Allen can bring is foolishness. Even with consistent minutes, it'll take JR Giddens half a season to figure out the system. And Bill Walker will be lucky to get any minutes next year. This team was built on defense and it's an absolute no-brainer, now that Posey is gone, to bring back our team's best perimeter defender.
The leaks are real...the news is fake.

I'm just here for the memes.
JR Hawks
Starter
And1: 892

Post#49 » by JR Hawks » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:23 pm

grantlongforpresident wrote:You see, the difference between my opinion and most of you, is I don't really give a mother **** if he is deadweight and not worth his salary in 4 YEARS.

Our window is NOW. and CLOSING. Our best shot at #18 is in the next two years.

Disclaimer: I don't think Posey will suck in 4 years, i'm just saying even if he does, it is still worth it.

Bingo!

We just became a worse team in 08-09, when we actually have a chance to win a championship.
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#50 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:23 pm

IndoorOutdoor wrote:Heat Fan Here:

I love Posey he was definitely a key to our Championship just like he was to yours. I saw some posters saying "wow overpaid for a guy who brings you 7 and 4" but Posey isn't a stats guy its the energy, attitude, clutchness and hustle that he brings to the team . Yes he got overpaid but he will be more then missed especially with the terrific relationship he held with Garnett, Allen and Pierce. I'm not sure if the Heat season would have been such a disaster if we held onto Posey, but this was a bold move by the Celtics management and could be you're downfall this year. In my book you just went from favorites to repeat to a middle contender. We tried to replace Posey with Dorrel Wright-- that didn't work out too good and that's what Darius Miles sounds like to me, as well as the other names you have mentioned-- Matt Barnes had a terrible year. Hope you guys can find a suitable replacement.

Don't make the same mistake we did and underestimate what Posey brings to the table.

You guys were terrible last year because you lost your two best players to injury, lost Posey AND Kapono in FA, traded Toine for the cancerous Mark Blount, had your coach take vacations mid-season and blatently tanked. I don't think keeping Posey would have made a team playing more D Leaguers than legit NBA players a title contender.

Posey leaving will not destroy this team. If PGA all go down with injuries, Doc takes his wife on a month long trip to Hawaii in February, Rondo participates in an experiment that goes horribly wrong leaving him 40 years old and Mark Blount rises from the sewers and steals Perk's jersey; then this team will be destroyed.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,728

Post#51 » by meatball sub » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:25 pm

Good for him, glad to see he got the 4th year somewhere other than Boston.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#52 » by RickyDizzle » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:33 pm

JR Hawks wrote:
RickyDizzle wrote:What do you mean?

None of that money affects Posey at all. We could've offered the full MLE for 4 or 5 years, thats the most we could offer him. We chose not to based on long term cap flexibility.

I am sad to see Posey go, but you cant just offer guys whatever you want if you are over the cap. Walker and POB are minimum contract guys so theyhave virtually no risk, so even if one of them ends up contributing those were good signings.

-Dizzy

You need to look beyond the pseudo-salary cap created by the luxury tax and understand that there are real dollars being spent in the here and now.

The cash spent on the 2nd round pick and POB this year is real money. And because real money was spent on that garbage this year, its much easier for the owners to get nervous about paying Posey this year (nevermind year 4). So why not just cut Posey lose while appeasing the fans by offereing Posey a contract you know he won't accept?

Or are you assuming that the Celtics will now turn around and make the Posey offer to somebody else? I have a feeling you're going to be sorely disappointed if that's the case.

You didnt change my mind on anything with this post.

The 'real dollars' you speak of are peanuts to the ownership group. Buying Bill Walker and signing POB have literally ZERO effect on Posey. This is an ownership group that has over 100 million 'real dollars' committed to Kevin Garnett alone, you think signing a guy to less than half a million that might (or might not) later be able to contribute is really going to affect how they move forward with forming the team? The nervousness is not about the spending 6 mil 3 years from now, the nervousness is rooted in the fact that Posey's salary would still be on the books while Ray's contract is off the books, basically meaning the we would be killing what little cap flexibility we may have.

If you think a team with 3 max players is worried about paying someone the MLE 3 years from now strictly because of the cash they'd have to pay thats ludicrous. The issue is that they care about what else that money could be used for when other salaries are off the books.

Trust me, the POB and Walker moves have absolutely nothing to do with Posey, to ignore the cap and its implications is ignorant.

-Dizzy
Truthiracy
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#53 » by Truthiracy » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:41 pm

Screw Jame$ Po$ey, what an idiot... the Hornets aren't winning any titles. 2 rings is all Po$ey will end up with, which is more than most will ever get, but I hope he fails miserably on "New Orleans".
Debate the Conspiracy master on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/truthiracy3
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#54 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:41 pm

I don't know about this one, Posey can guard multiple positions, is an outstanding 3 point shooter, and a cold killer in the playoffs.

Key to the quarter: Strong bench play from Eddie House (7 points, 2 assists), James Posey (6 points, 3 rebounds) keys a 23-3 quarter-closing run. The Celtics play stout defense, out-hustle the Lakers to every loose ball and build a 26-14 rebounding edge, including 8-0 on the offensive glass.

Classic highlight: Does anyone work harder than Posey? The reserve forward out-wrestles the Lakers front line for a rebound in traffic, then fades to the left corner, where he buries a key three to ignite the Celtics game-changing run.
Devilzsidewalk
RealGM
And1: 5,943

Post#55 » by Devilzsidewalk » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:45 pm

LucerneStDoggz wrote:Screw Jame$ Po$ey, what an idiot... the Hornets aren't winning any titles. 2 rings is all Po$ey will end up with, which is more than most will ever get, but I hope he fails miserably on "New Orleans".

This is Posey's last big contract and you'd do the same thing if the situations are reversed. Easy to play the "I'm more noble than thou" card when you don't have to walk the same path.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#56 » by greenbeans » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:49 pm

JR Hawks wrote:
grantlongforpresident wrote:You see, the difference between my opinion and most of you, is I don't really give a mother **** if he is deadweight and not worth his salary in 4 YEARS.

Our window is NOW. and CLOSING. Our best shot at #18 is in the next two years.

Disclaimer: I don't think Posey will suck in 4 years, i'm just saying even if he does, it is still worth it.

Bingo!

We just became a worse team in 08-09, when we actually have a chance to win a championship.

and 09-10 and 10-11. . . it isnt like the celtics are going to cease to exist 2 years from now. they, unlike you and your delusional counterpart are in it for the longhaul, not going all out for a 2-year span. they arent gonna blow their wad on a roleplayer who can be easily replaced, it isnt a sound business decision, it just isnt. no matter how you try and spin it.
Chief
Senior
And1: 1

Post#57 » by Chief » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:51 pm

Some of the comments are classless.

Thanks for being part of #17 James..
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#58 » by RickyDizzle » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:00 pm

Chief wrote:Some of the comments are classless.

Thanks for being part of #17 James..

I agree, I loved Posey and will miss him. I understand the logic for future cap flexibility, but I also hear what people are saying with the whole "our window is now" thing.

Tough situation, you always want to put the best team you can on the floor, but at what cost...very tricky.

-Dizzy

P.S. If we get bumped in the second or third round everyone is going to being saying 'if only we had posey, we would've won" and all that stuff, which will be really annoying. He is a big PART of why we won the championship, but a PART and not the whole. Hopefully we can get another part to help us again.
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,314

Post#59 » by Red2 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:45 pm

I hope danny can explain why we let our 6th man walk because we didn't want to give him an extra yeara. it makes no sense to me. pose is the same age as garnett Pierce and allen. what would be so horrible about pairing him with those guys for the next 4 years. I thought the goal was to win a championship. Hasn't Posey proven that he knows how to do that? I hated the flirtation with Maggette and I thought from the beginning that Danny misplayed this. Obviously after what he did last year he has my complete confidence but I don't like this move. it's the wrong time to get cheap
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"
kmgarnett21
Assistant Coach
And1: 398

Post#60 » by kmgarnett21 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:53 pm

sad day...i'll miss po-z & his pregame hugs & his lil smart @$$ smirk he gives fans after hitting a crucial three. you'll be missed pose.

at least he didnt go to LAL, cleveland or detroit. if it wasnt us, i was hoping it'd be NOH.

now i say go after dmiles or barnes
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#61 » by greenbeans » Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:56 pm

Red2 wrote:I hope danny can explain why we let our 6th man walk because we didn't want to give him an extra yeara. it makes no sense to me. pose is the same age as garnett Pierce and allen. what would be so horrible about pairing him with those guys for the next 4 years. I thought the goal was to win a championship. Hasn't Posey proven that he knows how to do that? I hated the flirtation with Maggette and I thought from the beginning that Danny misplayed this. Obviously after what he did last year he has my complete confidence but I don't like this move. it's the wrong time to get cheap

have you actually been following this team? Pose was not your typical 6th man. and GPA wont be here for four years, let alone 2.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Post#62 » by celticfan42487 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:05 pm

I'll never respect another roleplayer as much as I respect James Posey.

Thanks for showing the defenition of class and being a team player. Thank you for showing how to make clutch shots and how keeping your cool can lead to you stealing the ball from Prince in what should of been just a routine dribble up court situation for Prine to seal the ECF for us. And that will symbolize what you were IMO more then just a routine role player. The best, above and beyond, roleplayer there is in this league.

It will also be able to cheer for Posey playing for NO, sometimes things just work out and him going there instead of LAL or CLE makes it one of those things that just work out.

Everything just got intresting for Ainge. We need another roleplayer on the level of Posey for our bench. Pargo for full MLE 4 years? NO will probuly still match since they only paid 4 million for Posey.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#63 » by Spin Move » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:51 am

James posey is a good guy for any team to have and the better the team the more valuable he is. We would not likley won the title last year if without him with players from the rest of our roster. With that said: James posey is a limited player who showed his age in the playoffs last season, he looked bad in many games trying to gaurd atlanta's wings, could not nearly keep up with Lebron forcing us to gaurd him with one of the big 3 at almost all times and i hate to go to stats but only put up 7 and 4 a game. Lets say his intangables every game are worth 50% of his scoring and 25% of his rebounding. That makes him comparable to a 10.5 and 5 guy, thats a nice guy to have but not someone you pay the full midlevel to. Another problem with Mr. Posey is that he does not always show up in the best shape or play in a motivated fashion, he has a long history going back 2 teams of playing great one year then not showing up the next, he almost got kicked off the team in maimi for pulling a fatoine and ballooning after the season. James posey has never shot 44% for a season in his NBA career his highest scoring season he averaged 37% from the field, we did not just lose michael jorden, we didnt even lose Michael finley, we lost james posey, a guy who can fill a role, I am going to let you in on a little secret, James posey's biggest attribute was hustle, anyone can hustle, there are a whole lot of guys who would be very motivated to hustle and could hit the 3 just as well as james posey and would do it for half the money, Matt Barnes, Quinton Ross among others come to mind, Posey was long, Long, hustle hits open 3 in one player is somewhat hard to replace but its doable, like I said its not like the guy shot 45% from 3, he is a carreer 35% shooter and with this team he shot 38%....and 85% of those were WIDE OPEN 3's honestly, we can find guys who will make 41 or 42% with those shots,

Congrats James on the deal, but I think we can be a better team for both now and the future without Mr. Posey, I think not this season but next one NO will be very sorry they still ove Mr posey 12 million the fact of the matter is he is aging and was never a speedster to begin with. I think we can sign 1 guy who can do alot of what James did and have Giddens or Walker fill in the rest of that void. I think it makes more sense for the long term and will make us at least near the same level short term.

If it were me I would have offered him 3 years at the 20% raise from the previous salary, we CANNOT becuase of cap reasons offer anyone 4 year deals unless we are convinced they will be real studs, With how our cap situation is, we need to have flexibility 3 years down the road if the wheels fall off of any of the big 3, Allen will likely be traded before hte final year of his contract, and that new big 3 will have a 2nd window of 1 or 2 years. Well see how it all works out but I am not to worried about this, I say we sign barnes for half the midlevel to replace him.

P.S. I don't like the singing for the hornets roster wise, this could really stunt Julian Wrights growth, this is not a great signing for them short or long term...but good for james posey, I def would not have paid 48 million for him (what the same contract would have cost us since we are over the cap)
Maple Green
Starter
And1: 79

Post#64 » by Maple Green » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:56 am

Thanks Posey for being one of the foundation to got 17th banner. At least you did not land in LA Lakers.
To all. Posey is not only player there are a lot players willing to tap and give an exposure.Expect DA will make another move to make the roster balance
Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#65 » by Rocky5000 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:04 am

There's a rumor that we had offered Posey in a Sign and Trade for Artest.
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9502
The Boston Celtics offered up a James Posey sign-and-trade to land Artest, but obviously that's not going to happen. As HOOPSWORLD's Jessica Camerato broke earlier today, Posey is now a New Orleans Hornet.

I wonder if we'll find another way to snag him...

Return to Boston Celtics