ImageImageImage

james posey to the NO HORNETS

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

CWitch
Sophomore
And1: 10

Re: james posey to the NO HORNETS 

Post#21 » by CWitch » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Good luck Posey.

How about R. Gomes. He's a nice player to have on the bench.
YouAreBeneathMe
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#22 » by YouAreBeneathMe » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:18 pm

Ainge intimated signing Miles a couple days ago. He probably knew very well then that the chances posey would choose Boston were slim. Good for James. I'm happy for him.

Darius Miles
a backup PG
since we signed O'Bryant... another mystery player

of the mystery players

Marbury is on that list.
Maybe on a lesser note, Malik Allen/
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#23 » by Celtic Esquire » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:20 pm

Good luck James and thanks for helping us raise #17 to the rafters!
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,101

Post#24 » by RickyDizzle » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:20 pm

How many spots do we have...?

How about: Birdman, TA, House, and one of Barnes/Azuibuke?

-Dizzy
Datruth345
Assistant Coach
And1: 441

Post#25 » by Datruth345 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:21 pm

ehh

Posey was the man, but i didn't want us to give him 4 years or that money

so it sucks, but it doesnt at the same time, thats how i feel
"...That, Mr. James, is etched in stone.” - Bill Russell
alwayslovetheceltics
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#26 » by alwayslovetheceltics » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:22 pm

wow, a full mle offer to gomes? that would just be flat out awful. we just won 17 by the best defensive team in the league and one of the best defensive teams ever. gomes, well, to say the least, doesn't fit into that.

I am hoping for Barnes, and either House/Lue or both House and Lue.

anything over the min to a player like gomes (i.e. plays the 3 but can't defend any 3's) would be just awful.

i would also take a flyer on miles or snyder for the min
dingodile
Sixth Man
And1: 8
Location: Second Innermost Circle of Hell...a.k.a. Laker Country

Post#27 » by dingodile » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:25 pm

CWitch wrote:Good luck Posey.

How about R. Gomes. He's a nice player to have on the bench.

Aren't you Cfan's brother? What happened to him?
"I can tell you my testicles are the same size," he added later. "They haven't shrunk. They're the same and work just the same as they always have." - Barry Bonds disputing allegations of steroid use.
Egregious Blunder
General Manager
And1: 0

Post#28 » by Egregious Blunder » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:25 pm

good for him.
do you think atlanta will match a full MLE for childress?
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer

Post#29 » by RickyDizzle » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:32 pm

Egregious Blunder wrote:good for him.
do you think atlanta will match a full MLE for childress?

Yes, but maybe not if we make it quickly. I believe teams have a week to match after recieving the signed offer sheet and with the Josh Smith thing up in the air, who knows if Atlanta is ready to commit to Childress in 7 days...

-Dizzy
JR Hawks
Starter
And1: 899

Post#30 » by JR Hawks » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:32 pm

New Orleans offered him too much, but our team just got worse.

And, I'm sorry, but names like Tony Allen, Matt Barnes, Birdman, etc. just aren't going to change that.

There is a high probability that we are a worse team going into 08-09 than we were coming out of 07-08.

And I'm really starting to question the wisdom of buying the 2nd round pick and signing POB. Could some of that money not went to Posey? I hope Ainge isn't falling in love with babies again. Vets win titles, babies don't.
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer

Post#31 » by RickyDizzle » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:44 pm

What do you mean?

None of that money affects Posey at all. We could've offered the full MLE for 4 or 5 years, thats the most we could offer him. We chose not to based on long term cap flexibility.

I am sad to see Posey go, but you cant just offer guys whatever you want if you are over the cap. Walker and POB are minimum contract guys so theyhave virtually no risk, so even if one of them ends up contributing those were good signings.

-Dizzy
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#32 » by Dogen » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:47 pm

Good for Posey, he got a great contract with NO. Can't complain about his tenure with us because he was a true Celtic warrior for us. Now it's time to solidify our bench again. I'm not too crazy about what's out there, but I think Barnes is the closest thing to a replacement, and Gomes is the sentimental pick for me since I didn't want to see him traded in the first place--- but that worked out OK for the Celtics.
Andrew McCeltic
RealGM
And1: 8,542

Post#33 » by Andrew McCeltic » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:50 pm

I'm relieved that we didn't overpay for a roleplayer. Now add someone like Miles or Barnes and save the MLE in case a player becomes available who deserves it (Ben Gordon?)
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#34 » by sully00 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:54 pm

I like Kirk Snyder out of most of the options I hear.

Barnes is not a good defensive player and slipped back into being the sub 30% 3pt shooter he has always been. We have Scal we don't need Barnes.

I can't say that I really expected Posey to leave so I can't say I know who I really want instead.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#35 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:57 pm

Good for Posey...and for us. Too bad for NO having to shell out starter $$ and 4 yrs to a roleplayer. Will I miss Posey? Sure. But not for that price!
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#36 » by Kefa461 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:59 pm

It will not be as easy as some here think to replace Posey.......on the floor..... 8-)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,968

Post#37 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:59 pm

sully00 wrote:I like Kirk Snyder out of most of the options I hear.

Barnes is not a good defensive player and slipped back into being the sub 30% 3pt shooter he has always been. We have Scal we don't need Barnes.

I can't say that I really expected Posey to leave so I can't say I know who I really want instead.

Snyder, TA & House then call it an off-season.
IndoorOutdoor
Pro Prospect
And1: 13

Post#38 » by IndoorOutdoor » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:01 pm

Heat Fan Here:

I love Posey he was definitely a key to our Championship just like he was to yours. I saw some posters saying "wow overpaid for a guy who brings you 7 and 4" but Posey isn't a stats guy its the energy, attitude, clutchness and hustle that he brings to the team . Yes he got overpaid but he will be more then missed especially with the terrific relationship he held with Garnett, Allen and Pierce. I'm not sure if the Heat season would have been such a disaster if we held onto Posey, but this was a bold move by the Celtics management and could be you're downfall this year. In my book you just went from favorites to repeat to a middle contender. We tried to replace Posey with Dorrel Wright-- that didn't work out too good and that's what Darius Miles sounds like to me, as well as the other names you have mentioned-- Matt Barnes had a terrible year. Hope you guys can find a suitable replacement.

Don't make the same mistake we did and underestimate what Posey brings to the table.
JR Hawks
Starter
And1: 899

Post#39 » by JR Hawks » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:03 pm

IndoorOutdoor wrote:Heat Fan Here:

I love Posey he was definitely a key to our Championship just like he was to yours. I saw some posters saying "wow overpaid for a guy who brings you 7 and 4" but Posey isn't a stats guy its the energy, attitude, clutchness and hustle that he brings to the team . Yes he got overpaid but he will be more then missed especially with the terrific relationship he held with Garnett, Allen and Pierce. I'm not sure if the Heat season would have been such a disaster if we held onto Posey, but this was a bold move by the Celtics management and could be you're downfall this year. In my book you just went from favorites to repeat to a middle contender. We tried to replace Posey with Dorrel Wright-- that didn't work out too good and that's what Darius Miles sounds like to me, as well as the other names you have mentioned-- Matt Barnes had a terrible year. Hope you guys can find a suitable replacement.

Don't make the same mistake we did and underestimate what Posey brings to the table.

Good post. I have a bad feeling you will end up being correct.
grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#40 » by grantlongforpresident » Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:05 pm

ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC.

Ainge: YOU SUCK
You run off a critical component of an NBA champion for 1 year of the MLE in 2012??? What a JOKE.

I know, I know. Everyone jumped on the 3 years is fair, 4 years is horrible bandwagon. I'm sure you are all very happy.

Hopefully we don't think Tyrone Lue and one of Darius Miles/Kirk Snyder will make up for it. Those guys are terrible.

Return to Boston Celtics