ImageImageImage

Tyrone Lue says we're cheap

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,370

Tyrone Lue says we're cheap 

Post#1 » by Red2 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:00 pm

reportedly he was willing to take less from us but Danny wouldn't budge from $1.2M. Clearly there is a theme this summer which is that Danny has orders not to overspend for players. If anyone has inside info on the Celt's finances I would love to hear it because I'm not getting why we wouldn't spend an extra few hundred thousand if this is a a guy we wanted. maybe it was because we would have to use some of the MLE and we couldn't until Posey was resolved ( ie it was a timing issue) but it seems more likely that Danny has decided he is not going to go above his targeted amount for players. How's it working for you so far Danny? It seems like Danny, Wyc and co may have overestimated the discount that players were willing to take to play for the Celts. Anyhow I'm not sad about losing Lue but our fiscal frugality is going to make it tough to sign guys. at some point it becomes a negative when players and agents think we're unwilling to pay market value for players.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,975

Re: Tyrone Lue says we're cheap 

Post#2 » by GregB » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:04 pm

I am no expert. But I am pretty sure that 1.2 is the vet min. Which means its not as simple as it sounds. When you sign a Vet to the minimum the league picks up like a 1/3 of the salary. Which prob makes this closer to a million dollar difference in terms of cost to the Cs. Jar Jar Binx can enjoy his extra six hundred grand in milwaukee.
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#3 » by tombattor » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:07 pm

Lue sux anyways. We won this year with House as a backup. People thought we needed a veteran backup PG and we signed Cassell. We ended up winning in spite of him, so not having Cassell gives us a huge boost in our PG position, so we'll be better there than we were this year.
SonicYouth34
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#4 » by SonicYouth34 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:09 pm

GregB wrote:Jar Jar Binx can enjoy his extra six hundred grand in milwaukee.

:rofl: Never thought about that, but he does look like him
grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#5 » by grantlongforpresident » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:11 pm

i'm so glad we didn't budge with Lue. I can't stand him.

I think Lue got 2 years $5 million with the Bucks. He wanted our bi-annual exception of $1.8, and we wouldn't budge from the vet minimum of $1.2.
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#6 » by 15th overall » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:13 pm

Lue just isn't a very good player and not worth cutting into the MLE while theres still some guys who can make a serious impact on the market.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#7 » by Prophet_C » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:21 pm

Good. I'm glad we're cheap. I didn't want him
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,514

Post#8 » by canman1971 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:21 pm

Really, the Celtics think he sucks as well as me. Have fun in Milwaukee. Beer is cheap. Brat Fry's on Sundays are fun, as well as Packer football. Ice Bowling and smelt fishing. However, the Bucks are going nowhere fast and the signing of Lue just through them into 5th gear, just cruising along the mediocrity highway.
tombattor
General Manager

Post#9 » by tombattor » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:26 pm

canman1971 wrote:Really, the Celtics think he sucks as well as me. Have fun in Milwaukee. Beer is cheap. Brat Fry's on Sundays are fun, as well as Packer football. Ice Bowling and smelt fishing. However, the Bucks are going nowhere fast and the signing of Lue just through them into 5th gear, just cruising along the mediocrity highway.

Damn... you know a lot about Milwaukee...
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,514

Post#10 » by canman1971 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:32 pm

tombattor wrote:
canman1971 wrote:Really, the Celtics think he sucks as well as me. Have fun in Milwaukee. Beer is cheap. Brat Fry's on Sundays are fun, as well as Packer football. Ice Bowling and smelt fishing. However, the Bucks are going nowhere fast and the signing of Lue just through them into 5th gear, just cruising along the mediocrity highway.

Damn... you know a lot about Milwaukee...

I went attended Lakeland College for 3 years. I forgot, Admirals hockey games are fun. Much more fun than Bucks' games. However, the last time I saw Bird play was in Milwaukee. So, they have that going for them...which is nice. :D
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#11 » by Celtic Esquire » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:40 pm

Lue is a useless bum.

What's his point?
tombattor
General Manager

Post#12 » by tombattor » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:53 pm

canman1971 wrote:I went attended Lakeland College for 3 years. I forgot, Admirals hockey games are fun. Much more fun than Bucks' games. However, the last time I saw Bird play was in Milwaukee. So, they have that going for them...which is nice. :D

Ahh... I see. Hey, that's a lot going for them! :D
cope1
Sophomore

Post#13 » by cope1 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:12 pm

Lue's game is anemic...glad we passed. He'll freeze in WI.
"Hope is not a method"......
Who-rod
Starter
And1: 254

Post#14 » by Who-rod » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:13 pm

Hey LUE... it's not a difference between 1.2m and 1.8m, think of it this way genius:

One huge advantage of a one-year minimum contract for a seasoned veteran is the NBA pays a portion of it. The NBA would pick up approximately $465,000 of a Player X minimum deal, meaning the Team only would pay $797,581, the equivalent of a second-year minimum salary. That's also the amount they would have to pay in luxury tax, rather than $1.26 million.

So for Lue, him not understanding leads directly to his comments.

We pay him 1.8 = 3.6m from owner pockets.

We pay him 1.2 = (roughly) 800,000 x 2 = 1.6 from owner pockets. Lue is worth 1.6, he is not worth 3.6 in our owners eyes.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#15 » by Rocky5000 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:29 pm

We are cheap. REALLY cheap for some reason. Listen to that Danny interview, it seems the most he wants to give anyone is a 1 year contract near the minimum with a team option for the 2nd.
ryaningf
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,738

Post#16 » by ryaningf » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:50 pm

Cheap or doing smart business? I think it's the latter. Lue is not worth the LLE, nor the luxury tax hit that would come with spending the LLE. There are number of players of a similar skill set who would gladly take a minimum salary with us. So we'll go with them. Lue will languish on the bench in Milwaukee, while for a measly $600,000 less he could have had a high profile gig on the defending champs, possibly signing a semi-lucrative deal next season. He's the one being cheap.
The leaks are real...the news is fake.

I'm just here for the memes.
Who-rod
Starter
And1: 254

Post#17 » by Who-rod » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:19 pm

The C's are not cheap, they will just not overpay for marginal players.

Full MLE longterm Magette? Yes, probably.

Posey? At his age no.

Makes sense to me, not cheap, just measure players by worth, and then abide by their determination.
gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Post#18 » by gocelts » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:20 pm

THATS A FALSE STATEMENT. Ask Garnett, Pierce, and Ray how cheap we are..

The fact is tha Lue is just not a very good player and with our tax situation, he's just not worth more that the minumum.

Ever since I heard that we offered Posey three years at the full midlevel, and to a lesser extent Maggette, im convinced that ownership is willing to spend at a fair price. Its not cheap (see Gaston), its just good business in the situation that we're in.

It seems as though after all these years, Danny really has this GM thing down.
~gocelts
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#19 » by Rocky5000 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:42 pm

Cheap, Thrifty, Penny Pinching, parsimonious, whatever you call it, we don't want to spend major money on our bench this year. Danny has gone out bargain shopping, he's not going to spend a premium on anyone. He'd rather get players with defects from the clearance rack than write a fat check for a low risk commodity. Maybe this is the right way to be, but you can't say that we are being generous with free agents at all. If we were, our rookies would have signed contracts by now, we wouldn't be planning on depending on a guy who's played all of 218 minutes in the NBA, or bringing in a series of players with long injury histories and/or drug problems for workouts.
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#20 » by TheCelticTruth » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:57 pm

we went bargain shopping last year to fill out the bench and i think it worked out alright, i dunno...

we are not cheap, we are spending more on three players than some teams spend on a whole team

Sig by twolves4ever
Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC
"ubuntu"

Return to Boston Celtics