ImageImageImage

OKC Thunder... do we like this name.

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Re: OKC Thunder... do we like this name. 

Post#21 » by greenbeans » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:17 pm

they should have just black n white jerseys and embrace the bad guy thing(kinda like the "mean" team in every Disney kids movie, ie Big Green, Mighty Ducks etc etc). since their already starting out gettin s****ed on, why not?? and like i saw in another thread here, the Plunders fits nicely in line with Fakers, Tragic etc
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,514

Post#22 » by canman1971 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:31 pm

bonsaiflipflops wrote:Does "Thunder" have anything to do with the area of Oklahoma City? Just curious... If not, then I don't like it. To me, it's all about what's catchy for marketing purposes. How else do you explain nicknaming a team the Wizards or Raptors?

Well, I am sure, like all cities, they probably have a fair share of thunderstorms, but other than that, I would say no. It is a pretty lame name. Outlaws would have been the best I can think of. They should have gone with a western theme.
buckner1976
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#23 » by buckner1976 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:06 pm

bonsaiflipflops wrote:Does "Thunder" have anything to do with the area of Oklahoma City? Just curious... If not, then I don't like it. To me, it's all about what's catchy for marketing purposes. How else do you explain nicknaming a team the Wizards or Raptors?

well the toronto free-healthcares was a close second but the name just wasnt imposing enough.
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity..."
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#24 » by campybatman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:29 pm

Well, when you hold a public contest to name the franchise. That should be a tip-off that the new nickname will be completely irrelevant. From what I'd read regarding Toronto is that they'd initially wanted to revive the old Toronto nickname, Huskies, but were convinced that any logo would resemble the Timberwolves logo too much. So, the winning name was the Raptors because one of the popular movies in the early nineties was Jurassic Park. In my opinion, that's f'ing stupid, I'm sorry. The Huskies would've made all the since in the world. Are you telling me that you don't already have teams that exist today with similar logos and color schemes. Hogwash.

Let's see... Lakers and the Clippers, Minnesota and Memphis, Miami and Phoenix, Utah and Denver, Orlando and Philadelphia and Cleveland and Sacramento. Give me a break!
The Corey's
RealGM
And1: 6,690

Post#25 » by The Corey's » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:50 pm

and i thought the charlotte bobcats was a terrible name, this takes the cake for non professional names.

they need to stop with expansion and relocation cause the names are getting worse and worse.
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#26 » by ParticleMan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:05 am

Rocky5000 wrote: Doesn't the city have something that they are well-known for?

um, do you *really* want the team named after what Oklahoma City is most famous for???
ramshackle75
Pro Prospect

Post#27 » by ramshackle75 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:11 am

Thunder: Don't like it, but it will grow on me. Not a big fan of team names like Avalanche, Heat or Jazz. That said, if they were the Thunderbolts or something like that ... well, I still wouldn't like it but it would have been an improvement.

Outlaws: The NBA made Washington change its name from Bullets because of the association with violence and gangs. You think they'd allow a team to be called the Outlaws?

Barons: Yes, let's celebrate big oil. No thanks.

Personally (and feel free to tear it down all you like :)) I'd have liked a name like the Tornadoes or something.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,514

Post#28 » by canman1971 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:20 am

ramshackle75 wrote:Thunder: Don't like it, but it will grow on me. Not a big fan of team names like Avalanche, Heat or Jazz. That said, if they were the Thunderbolts or something like that ... well, I still wouldn't like it but it would have been an improvement.

Outlaws: The NBA made Washington change its name from Bullets because of the association with violence and gangs. You think they'd allow a team to be called the Outlaws?

Barons: Yes, let's celebrate big oil. No thanks.

Personally (and feel free to tear it down all you like :)) I'd have liked a name like the Tornadoes or something.

For some reason, I have a feeling the NBA would not like that as well. Many people die every year from tornadoes. When I was at universal back in '99, they closed the Twister ride when tornadoes ripped through Kissimmee and Orlando. I was only about 2 miles from them and didn't really know the danger as we just go to our condo.
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#29 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:30 am

I don't like it. Barons or Outlaws would've been better. Thunder is one of the generic team names you get in the NBA 2K series.
Celtic King
Senior
And1: 246

Post#30 » by Celtic King » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:17 am

I think more approriate but based on the same theme for OKC would of been the Cyclone or Cyclones!!
Sydney Kings 3-peat NBL Champions of Australia going for a 4 peat!!!
wetsthebed
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,216

Post#31 » by wetsthebed » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:44 am

Thunder definitely sounds like a DLeague or WNBA team to me. I don't mind Barons, I guess, but they pretty much all suck.
shackles10
Forum Mod - Celtics
Forum Mod - Celtics
And1: 5,437

Post#32 » by shackles10 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:16 am

Barons is a AAA Whitesox team. Thunder sucks as well and sounds equally minor league though. In fact, isn't that one of the NFL Europe teams I remember seeing on Madden a few years ago? Twisters is better because it ends with an S, but it sounds fruity for a sports team. I don't like any of the options I've read on here, but I can't come up with any better ones myself. I like Outlaws, but I can't see the NBA liking that name really.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#33 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:34 pm

Should have gone with something like Rogues or Rustlers, IMHO.
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:17 am

I know OKC has a ton of thunderstorms (something like forth most in US, or maybe first) so it does make some sense, but I still think it's kinda lame. They should've went with Barons.
GreenOkie
Freshman

Post#35 » by GreenOkie » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:48 am

this article addresses all things with the team, being from OKC but also being a Celtics fan I am just glad that they are coming to town at least once a year now. http://newsok.com/article/3272798/
Cyclical
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,397

Post#36 » by Cyclical » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:21 am

Definitely a poor name choice. NBA team names need to be a plural. Heat, Jazz, Thunder etc. are cartoony sounding. Absolutely positively weak names.

Favorite line about Oklahoma:
If you have one week to live move to Oklahoma City. Every day seems like an eternity.
Kobe_not_MJ
Ballboy

Post#37 » by Kobe_not_MJ » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:32 pm

Prue wrote:I heard a couple of names being kicked around and I really like "Barons". Thunder to me just screams d-league. I hope they don't try some gimmic logo like OKC in some cumular nimbus with dark grey and dark blue jerseys. That would be sick...well in the get green and throw up kind of way.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... d_thunder/

How about the OKC Carpetbaggers? Or Traitors?
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#38 » by Dirty Water » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:18 pm

Cyclical wrote:Definitely a poor name choice. NBA team names need to be a plural. Heat, Jazz, Thunder etc. are cartoony sounding. Absolutely positively weak names.

Favorite line about Oklahoma:
If you have one week to live move to Oklahoma City. Every day seems like an eternity.

Like your sig, man.
GreenGrizz
Analyst

Post#39 » by GreenGrizz » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:38 pm

When I visited my old friend in Oklahoma and stayed there for two weeks, oh man, the weather was nothing but the thunder storm. I guess the new nickname is perfect.
Al n' Perk No Layups!
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by Al n' Perk No Layups! » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:10 pm

Kobe_not_MJ wrote:
Prue wrote:I heard a couple of names being kicked around and I really like "Barons". Thunder to me just screams d-league. I hope they don't try some gimmic logo like OKC in some cumular nimbus with dark grey and dark blue jerseys. That would be sick...well in the get green and throw up kind of way.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archi ... d_thunder/

How about the OKC Carpetbaggers? Or Traitors?

A little bitter are we?

Return to Boston Celtics