ImageImageImage

BREAKING: Tony and House to Sign

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

BREAKING: Tony and House to Sign 

Post#1 » by Rocky5000 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:17 pm

Tony Allen and Eddie House are staying in the fold.

According to Danny Ainge, the Celtics have agreed to terms with each on two-year contracts.

Ainge would not be specific on the financial figures, but according to a source, both are being paid in the mid-$2 million range.

In the case of House, the money is roughly half the mid-level exception of $5.585 million.

The Celtics did not have to use any of the mid-level on Allen, because he has been with the club four years and the team thus has his “Bird rights.”

Teams are allowed to pay to keep their own free agents who have been with the club three years.

http://bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/ce ... ion=recent

WOOHOO!!!! I'm happy that we're bringing these guys back. Tony will have an opportunity to shine.
Egregious Blunder
General Manager

Re: BREAKING: Tony and House to Sign 

Post#2 » by Egregious Blunder » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:20 pm

just read that!
woohoo!!!!
i think they were the best free agents we could get anyway. im hoping for breakout TA year next year as 6th man
MVP16
Bench Warmer
And1: 3

Post#3 » by MVP16 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:24 pm

YESSS!!!

I was getting worried with Barnes, Nachbar and maybe Childress going off the board today so I'm happy we get House and TA back. House is great to have back because he brings those intangible qualities off the bench that we lost with Posey and of course the 3 point shooting. I wanted TA back all along because, if he stay healthy, I expect a breakout season.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#4 » by humblebum » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:39 pm

Yes. I am the idiot who said that both these guys would be gone.

Still, I am very happy to have both of these guys back. I think this basically ensures that the C's will be even better next season if they stay healthy. The Celtics needed to get more athletic and less perimeter shooting oriented and replacing a chunk of Posey's minutes with Tony and another chunk of his minutes with Leon Powe/BBD... this is perfect for the Celtics.

I hope Tony finally is able to break out this season!
Tricky Ricky
Analyst

Post#5 » by Tricky Ricky » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:51 pm

NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Quote of the year
MyInsatiableOne wrote:Did we just seriously post Danny's personal address and phone # on the board? :o
RickyDizzle
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,104

Post#6 » by RickyDizzle » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:52 pm

Good work, we needed these guys back IMO.

I am not in the camp that thinks we need another PG, House and Pruitt should be fine. I say we sign the birdman and the rookies and call it an offseason....

-Dizzy
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,979

Post#7 » by GregB » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:54 pm

Wow, This is awesome news. We bring back House who rounds out our PG nicely. I am pretty happy with Rondo, House and Pruitt would could take the backup spot.

The TA signing is also key. Giddens and Walker could be great. But We are in the middle of a championship window. We need proven guys that know our system.

I will definitely miss Poseys clutch 3s and charges. But Their were some weaknesses on last years team that I think TA in a main backup role fixes. At time we got complacent and turned into a jumpshooting team. TA is someone who can be relentless taking the ball to the hole. I remember what he did in the first half against LA and in spurts. Plus, TA is a better individual defender than Posey. TA is now a year past surgery and out of Poseys shadow. I look for him to have a fairly big year. I wonder if Doc would experiment with starting TA and bringing RA off the bench. Kinda like Ginoblie in SA.
eloper
Starter
And1: 82

Post#8 » by eloper » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:01 pm

Great news....still would like to see a shooter signed at the SF/SG spot though.
Athanacropolis
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#9 » by Athanacropolis » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:05 pm

Best news of the morning so far!
Truthiracy
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#10 » by Truthiracy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:20 pm

I'LL TAKE IT! THANK YOU DANNY!
Debate the Conspiracy master on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/truthiracy3
Friar Dan
Junior

Post#11 » by Friar Dan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:28 pm

I'll echo the sentiment that within the championship window, veterans that know the system are important. As such, I don't DISlike these signings. Still, the bottom line is this:

Wings - Out: Posey; In: Bill Walker and JR Giddens
Bigs - Out: PJ Brown and Pollard; In: O'Bryant
PG - Out: Cassell; In: ???

I don't think we got better anywhere, and in fact you might say we got worse across the board for the 08-09 season (depending on how you feel about Cassell). Giddens and Walker might be draft steals, but will they help us win this year?

With about half the MLE left and only one roster slot left, it's very likely our roster will be worse next year than it was last year. Is a year of playing together worth enough to offset that?
wbc17
Sophomore
And1: 16

Post#12 » by wbc17 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:30 pm

Great news!! Thank you, Danny..
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,149

Post#13 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:31 pm

Friar Dan wrote:PG - Out: Cassell; In: ????

Gabe Pruitt.
rambo_ortega
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#14 » by rambo_ortega » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:33 pm

nice move to bring back these guys if we lost out on the key free agents. they are the best available in our position right now.

i still hope we can sign someone who can play posey's role but as the 7th man behind TA. and that would be devean george. what's nice about us this season even if we lost posey is that we have a bbd/powe version in the backcourt with walker/giddens who can break out and provide us slashing and athleticism off the bench.
DJToLarry
Pro Prospect
And1: 38

Post#15 » by DJToLarry » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:38 pm

Given the guys available, I think this was the course of action to take. Allen should be better with more time removed from surgery. House is just a great competitor, and steps up for big shots. I'm very happy he is back. Plus both know the system.
humblebum
Banned User

Post#16 » by humblebum » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:39 pm

Friar Dan wrote:I'll echo the sentiment that within the championship window, veterans that know the system are important. As such, I don't DISlike these signings. Still, the bottom line is this:

Wings - Out: Posey; In: Bill Walker and JR Giddens
Bigs - Out: PJ Brown and Pollard; In: O'Bryant
PG - Out: Cassell; In: ???

I don't think we got better anywhere, and in fact you might say we got worse across the board for the 08-09 season (depending on how you feel about Cassell). Giddens and Walker might be draft steals, but will they help us win this year?

With about half the MLE left and only one roster slot left, it's very likely our roster will be worse next year than it was last year. Is a year of playing together worth enough to offset that?

I think it is. When you consider that not only does the core have a year together under their belts, but this was also a year they won the championship. That is an enormous amount of experience, growth and confidence gained by all players. Next season the team will be able to focus more on refining and fine-tuning rather than implementing an offense and defense which almost the whole core was foreign to, to a certain extent.

The second factor is that the Celtics depend on several young players that will most likely improve greatly next season. I'm thinking of Rondo, Perkins, Powe, and Glen Davis for the most part. I also expect to get more out of O'Bryant than we got out of Pollard. Giddens and Pruitt are definite X-Factors at this point but given the gains in other areas I don't think contributions from these two is of vital importance. Overall I think the team will improve... especially if Tony Allen has the type of beginning to end season that he's capable of.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#17 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:46 pm

YES!! Good news. Glad to see TA back. And I really like eddie.

Guess this means no starbury!!! Good. Keep the ubuntu guys, just cause posey left doesn't mean we can't win again. We got the big three, Perk, Rondo, Allen, House, Powe and Davis. It is looking good.

Are we done now? Or do we have any money left?
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,149

Post#18 » by Celts17Pride » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:47 pm

Now that the Celtics have signed both TA & House, Michael Finley would be the perfect guy to pick up with a 2 year deal. SF who can shoot the ball. IMO.
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#19 » by tombattor » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:47 pm

Friar Dan wrote:PG - Out: Cassell; In: ???

Are you serious with this? Cassell being out in itself is positive.

We can say "PG - Out: Cassell; In: Friar Dan" and it's still an infinitely positive move.

Besides, this was a great signing for this team. House and TA know how to play on this team, the system, etc. Continuity will only help us for next year.
humblebum
Banned User

Post#20 » by humblebum » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:50 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Now that the Celtics have signed both TA & House, Michael Finley would be the perfect guy to pick up with a 2 year deal. SF who can shoot the ball. IMO.

I agree. Devean George would also be nice... if he came cheap enough!

Return to Boston Celtics