ImageImageImage

BREAKING: Tony and House to Sign

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Re: BREAKING: Tony and House to Sign 

Post#21 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:53 pm

Celts17Pride wrote:Now that the Celtics have signed both TA & House, Michael Finley would be the perfect guy to pick up with a 2 year deal. SF who can shoot the ball. IMO.

I would love that!
lojowo
Rookie
And1: 4

Post#22 » by lojowo » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:01 pm

Welcome back Tony and Eddie.

I still feel we need to add some players because currently, this squad without Posey is not as good as last year.

I was hoping now that the C's won, some good players would come here for less but I guess not, at least it hadnt been the case.

I think Garnett was the draw that got us, posey, House, Pollard, Cassell and Brown last year.

Has the appeal of playing for Boston faded away already?
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#23 » by BillessuR6 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:07 pm

Excellent! And nice contracts, too! Good job Danny.

I would still like to add Devean George and a veteran big...
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,047

Post#24 » by Darth Celtic » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:11 pm

well, we got a defensive slasher, but we still don't have a bench guy that can hit the 3 and open up the middle. Unless one of the rookies show this (doubtfull) the team still needs another player.

B. Wells, r davis, d george, m finely. We need a player like that still.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets
Joyeuse
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#25 » by Joyeuse » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:12 pm

I don't think Boston lost any appeal since last year. It's just that other teams have snatched up free agents we've been confirmed as going after by offering more money. Few players want to take gigantic pay cuts just to play for the Celtics.
C-West
Bench Warmer
And1: 491

Post#26 » by C-West » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:14 pm

This is awesome. Remember, last season THIS was our entire backup guard tandem. Doc kind of had TA playing point and House off the ball on offense. It worked pretty well, too, considering our start. Getting both guys back is huge and I think TA will make the most of it.
Mr.Monday Night
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#27 » by Mr.Monday Night » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:17 pm

Can we plz go sign bonzi now
Friar Dan
Junior
And1: 0

Post#28 » by Friar Dan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:25 pm

We can say "PG - Out: Cassell; In: Friar Dan" and it's still an infinitely positive move.

How did you know I played PG in HS??? Although at 32 with a ACL repair in my history, I'm slower than molasses in January (kinda like Sam, I guess)...
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#29 » by tombattor » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:26 pm

I don't think we need to make any more moves. I think we have a pretty good roster.

If Tony can stay healthy and get some consistent minutes, I think he'll do an adequate job of filling in for Posey in that role.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#30 » by greenbeans » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:32 pm

wonderful news. with the immortal Matt Barnes getting scooped up i was worried lol. but like the other posters are saying, id love a veteran 2/3 who is decent all around and is above average from outside. Mchael Finley come on DOOWWWNNNNN!!
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#31 » by Kefa461 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:35 pm

More needs to be done to improve this team or to at least keep par to last years team.....imho.... 8-)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
LongTimeFan
Analyst
And1: 292

Post#32 » by LongTimeFan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:35 pm

This is great news on so many levels.

I was very pleased with House's performance last year. I thought the Cassel signing just didn't work out. We stumbled through it and House remained loyal and a citizen. He got a chance and he stepped up. The signing is a sign of his loyalty and maturity. He is a Celtic at heart and I'm glad he's a Celtic in fact.

Tony Allen I had no concerns about. He was ours. No one was going to give him a contract. I think he has a way to come back, but he did pretty well last year. He owes us and everyone seems to be on the same page. The way we've treated Tony is going to generate a huge amount of goodwill among prospects.

Finally, we have some MLE left. This allows Walker to sign to a three year deal, which I believe is the preferred long term option, assuming his surgery went well. He'll develope much better here under the Celtics coaching staff. This signing keeps his optimal development path open.

I think the only hole in the lineup is the backup SF to rest Pierce. There are a number of ways Doc can try, mat=ybe one will work out. Or we can buy a vet that wants a ring.
ryaningf
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,738

Post#33 » by ryaningf » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:55 pm

This is great, great news. I'm just pumped to see most of the team back for another run.

I think Eddie's skills are very much needed on this team. His outside shooting, decent point guard abilities, and spirit were all very important last season. While I see Gabe Pruitt getting minutes next season, I think Eddie's going to play alot too, maybe with Pruitt.

I'm most excited about Tony. There's been a lot of hating on Tony for the last 6 months, but let me tell you this: a year removed from knee surgery, and with available minutes off the bench, Tony is going to bust out next season. Some might say we stayed the same, but there will be no comparison between last year's Tony and next year's Tony. I expect him to average 15 points a game, and hopefully start at some point during the season. Danny has already hinted that he plays better when starting. And given Ray's age, it might not be a bad idea to start Tony. Don't hand it to him, but if he earns it with his play off the bench, I say start him by December.

I'm not sure we sign a backup 3. I think we want roster flexibility, so unless we send Bill Walker to Europe, I don't think there's room. If we do, however, I like Finley or George. But honestly, I think Ray/Paul/Tony can handle most of the 2/3 minutes, with some JR Giddens (or Pruitt) thrown in when necessary. Tony wasn't brought back to sit on the bench. You have to think, especially in light of Ainge's comments that Tony plays well when starting and not so well in 4 minute stints, that Tony is slated for 25+ minutes a night. That's like 12 minutes each behind Paul and Ray.

Another reason I like bringing back Tony: if the injury fairy visits us next season, we have an actual starter-caliber replacement on the bench now.

One other good thing to take from these signings: we now have about 26-27 million in expiring salaries for the 2010 season (Ray, Scal, Eddie, Tony). Any combination of those pieces might make an attractive offer to some team trying to cut salary.
The leaks are real...the news is fake.

I'm just here for the memes.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,279

Post#34 » by celticfan42487 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:58 pm

Well I'm glad House is back. Like I said he was our best PG even during some games in teh playoffs because he could stretch the D. And if he brings the same menatlity as last year this will help. The defense should remain the same because there are no veterants to convert that weren't apart of last years team and I think that's big... as long as non defensive players like Ray Allen and House don't settle and go back to the way they played the past 10 years.

But Tony Allen for 2 years, really? When PHNX, the suns! sign Barnes for 1 year vet min? Look I love the one month every year career Tony Allen. But we are suppose to be contending for a title so for our bench we line ourselfs up with second rounders and a career injury Tony Allen?

We couldn't make better choices in getting another Center or a more reliable wing player?

I'm very happy we re-signed House. A little suprised we went 2 years since I don't think there were going to be any offers for him like that but maybe after loosing Posey Ainge didn't want to call his agents bluff and be left out in the cold again. I just don't know though, our entire bench is a bunch of ifs. Last year it was a bunch of ifs and Posey.
Luxurytaxlotterybust
Senior
And1: 6

Post#35 » by Luxurytaxlotterybust » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:02 pm

Not sure how I feel about this yet. Are we sure Tony Allen's signing doesn't use the MLE? If the Celtics renounced him and made him an unrestricted Free agent do we lose his Bird rights?
"THERE'S A STEAL BY BIRD! WHO GIVES IT TO DJ. WHO LAYS IT UP AND IN!"
DynastyInTheMaking
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#36 » by DynastyInTheMaking » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:02 pm

I'm happy assuming this is the case. However where does this leave Giddens and Walker? A couple of nobodies who wont make any impact?
I despise fans that cheer on a team from up north or one that resembles a dinosaur. oh wait...
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#37 » by BillessuR6 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:04 pm

I would still like us to sign George as a 3-4 who can guard the Lebrons and a veteran big, send Walker to Europe for a year...
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#38 » by greenbeans » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:05 pm

ryaningf wrote:One other good thing to take from these signings: we now have about 26-27 million in expiring salaries for the 2010 season (Ray, Scal, Eddie, Tony). Any combination of those pieces might make an attractive offer to some team trying to cut salary.

yup, while other teams are all clamoring for capspace that summer Danny is collecting assets to be able to accomodate those teams in trades. maybe that deadline before the summer we trade a couple of those guys and at that point well have picks to trade again. bringing in one of that class would be HUGE, that year could be the bridge. Danny is a genius
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#39 » by humblebum » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:10 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:Well I'm glad House is back. Like I said he was our best PG even during some games in teh playoffs because he could stretch the D. And if he brings the same menatlity as last year this will help. The defense should remain the same because there are no veterants to convert that weren't apart of last years team and I think that's big... as long as non defensive players like Ray Allen and House don't settle and go back to the way they played the past 10 years.

But Tony Allen for 2 years, really? When PHNX, the suns! sign Barnes for 1 year vet min? Look I love the one month every year career Tony Allen. But we are suppose to be contending for a title so for our bench we line ourselfs up with second rounders and a career injury Tony Allen?

We couldn't make better choices in getting another Center or a more reliable wing player?

I'm very happy we re-signed House. A little suprised we went 2 years since I don't think there were going to be any offers for him like that but maybe after loosing Posey Ainge didn't want to call his agents bluff and be left out in the cold again. I just don't know though, our entire bench is a bunch of ifs. Last year it was a bunch of ifs and Posey.

Um, House is an if?

How about Leon Powe?

I think it is clear that the team believes in Leon Powe and his potential to be a consistent 6th man next season. House is the steady hand, stretch the defense guy off the bench.

On the wings Tony Allen, Giddens provide athleticism and energy, if not consistency. This is a potential concern area but in reality we're talking about 24 minutes backing up the best wing duo in the NBA. On nights where TA and JR struggle (only for "important games") Ray and Pierce will play more minutes... No big deal, IMO.

At the backup five spot the Celtics have two options whereas for much of the season last year they had only one, Glen Davis. Now Glen is a year older and wiser and they also have an athletic, young 7 footer on the bench.

Posey is a big loss, but the team has plenty of realistic options on the bench.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,071

Post#40 » by Dogen » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:10 pm

RickyDizzle wrote:Good work, we needed these guys back IMO.

I am not in the camp that thinks we need another PG, House and Pruitt should be fine. I say we sign the birdman and the rookies and call it an offseason....

-Dizzy

Ditto.
Hey you! Can we come together?

Return to Boston Celtics