ImageImageImage

BREAKING: Tony and House to Sign

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Re: BREAKING: Tony and House to Sign 

Post#81 » by Rocky5000 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:56 pm

We used the LLE on O'Bryant, couldn't give it to House. The MLE is pretty much the only way to sign him, since he wouldn't take the minimum. Quinton Ross sucks. He has no offense..at all. Ricky doesn't seem welcome in Boston anymore.

Anyways...

I just realized that this is the first time since his rookie contract that House hasn't had to switch to another team. Must feel good for the guy to finally be appreciated somewhere.
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,684

Post#82 » by Celtic Esquire » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:03 pm

Fantastic news! I'm a huge House fan and think if TA is healthy, he can replace much of Posey's defense.

Great job DA!
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#83 » by ParticleMan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:07 pm

Spin Move wrote:huh....great news? Where I just heard we signed tony allan again (uh.....I am not a fan) and overpaid eddie house.

i'm not a fan of tony allan either... but this other guy tony allen, he's pretty damn good, he was a 20ppg scorer for a month+ before going down with an injury. now the question is whether he can come back fully healthy, but hopefully this is year 2 after a major knee operation, so it's usually the year guys get all the way back. so i'm hopeful.

we did overpay for house. oh well, better to overpay a guy for $5mil than $25mil.
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,684

Post#84 » by Celtic Esquire » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:08 pm

Al-Haqq wrote:I guess this also means Ryan Gomes is not heading back to Boston.

Thank God. Gomes doesn't have the quickness to play the 3 and isn't big enough to guard 4s. All he's done since he's left is develop a 3 point shot. Big whoop.
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#85 » by tombattor » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:44 pm

Does anyone remember what the QO for Tony, the team didn't pick up was for? I think it was simiilar to what he signed for, right?
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#86 » by ParticleMan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:10 pm

tombattor wrote:Does anyone remember what the QO for Tony, the team didn't pick up was for? I think it was simiilar to what he signed for, right?

it was similar, but i suspect that had we resigned Posey we would have let Tony go.
Luxurytaxlotterybust
Senior
And1: 6

Post#87 » by Luxurytaxlotterybust » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:16 pm

The qualifying would have been around $2.8 million. He was picked right before Delonte West and look at his qualifying. http://hoopshype.com/salaries/cleveland.htm

So Danny did get him $800,000 cheaper than if we just signed him to the qualifying offer.
"THERE'S A STEAL BY BIRD! WHO GIVES IT TO DJ. WHO LAYS IT UP AND IN!"
dinoz
Junior
And1: 3

Post#88 » by dinoz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:34 pm

Posey could not cover Lebron, which is why Pierce had to play Lebron for 6 games. Note how Lebron went off in game 7 with Pierce off him. Posey could not stay with Kobe either. In fact, Posey owes some of his rep to Van Gundy, who hyped Posey incessantly throughout the playoffs. Maybe the Celts feel that with Tony Allen, instead of Posey on Lebron or Kobe, there will not be that much of a dropoff.
Truthiracy
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#89 » by Truthiracy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:36 pm

Tony Allen will remind everyone why he's such a great defender-book it.
Debate the Conspiracy master on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/truthiracy3
armageddon
Rookie

Post#90 » by armageddon » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:48 pm

Well, let's hope TA can be the defender we will need. Looks like the only option.

Still need one more big.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#91 » by Jammer » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:54 am

Well, it seems I was pretty close on predicting their salaries.

Open market, I said Eddie would get $3 million per year,

he signed for $2.7 million with an option for a second year at $2.9 million.

I thought Tony would get around $2.8 million,

he signed for two years at $2.5 million.

MeThinks that Danny squeezed a little hometown discount out of them.

billfromboston: You had said both of them were worth less than $2 million. Not in today's market.

Now, if Danny had only given Posey 4 years at $20 million back in August 2007. My being a Posey fan since 1999 may have biased me, but at least I was paying attention to notice (especially his huge jump in 3 point shooting % during the 2006 and 2007 seasons, continued in 2008).

Ah, maybe the Celts will luck out and still get Jason Williams, Mutombo or (gulp) Steph.
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant

Post#92 » by billfromBoston » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:42 am

celticfan42487 wrote:
humblebum wrote:
Um, House is an if?

How about Leon Powe?

I think it is clear that the team believes in Leon Powe and his potential to be a consistent 6th man next season. House is the steady hand, stretch the defense guy off the bench.

On the wings Tony Allen, Giddens provide athleticism and energy, if not consistency. This is a potential concern area but in reality we're talking about 24 minutes backing up the best wing duo in the NBA. On nights where TA and JR struggle (only for "important games") Ray and Pierce will play more minutes... No big deal, IMO.

At the backup five spot the Celtics have two options whereas for much of the season last year they had only one, Glen Davis. Now Glen is a year older and wiser and they also have an athletic, young 7 footer on the bench.

Posey is a big loss, but the team has plenty of realistic options on the bench.

House played very uncharacteristically last year. Where he played both defense and hit clutch shots during the playoffs. 1 year after finally getting his ring after efforts rarely seen from him is usually an abnormality not a sign that he is god. House is the least if on the bench but it isn't like he has teh track record were we should automatically expect that he will come back and put up everything he did last year in terms of defense and clutch shooting wich he hasn't done in the past 7 years of his career. Granted House is the very lowest "if" on the bench. And he is fine as our backup PG if we have another ball handler on the floor (wich is still just Pierce now unless our rookies step up).

You may believe in Leon Powe, but in reality he hasn't shown much to truely seperate himself from Big Baby. Leon is a good roleplayer offensively and a bad one defensively but always gives heart. Baby is a better roleplayer against opposing bench teams that can't handle his size (guys like Anderson Varejo).

And yes we have plenty of options, they aren't excatly the most inspiring.

Basically I'm mostly dissapointed because I had higher expectations. I was of the mind after coming off teh championship run that we would start out with a clabier of bench that we ended our run with. Not rely on rookies and Pruitt to develop to just meet par of last year's bench that we ended our run with. And a bench were we could relastically go to and give Pierce,Ray,KG down to 32 mpg without having them come back and pick up the mess. A bench with some solid veterant roleplayers mixed in with some rookies or busts or unproven injury career type of players, not one vet mix in with a bust, an injury career man ,and rookies.

All said and done it's a freaken bench and it won't kill us. Most teams are looking to improve their starting 5. And we still have leaders on this team that should allow us to keep our defensive mentality [KG,Pierce, Thibs]. Rookies aren't going to say anything to disrupt that like a vet that doesn't play defense might (Ricky Davis). I guess I just had unrealistic expectations of Boston being a free-agent destination after winning a championship.

..I nominate you for "worst post of the off-season" award... :roll:

Special mention for the excellent use of sarcasm and superiority of knowledge in criticism against the man that just pulled off one of the greatest long-term team reconstructions of all time... :lol:
buckner1976
Sophomore

Post#93 » by buckner1976 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:16 am

billfromBoston wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
humblebum wrote:
Um, House is an if?

How about Leon Powe?

I think it is clear that the team believes in Leon Powe and his potential to be a consistent 6th man next season. House is the steady hand, stretch the defense guy off the bench.

On the wings Tony Allen, Giddens provide athleticism and energy, if not consistency. This is a potential concern area but in reality we're talking about 24 minutes backing up the best wing duo in the NBA. On nights where TA and JR struggle (only for "important games") Ray and Pierce will play more minutes... No big deal, IMO.

At the backup five spot the Celtics have two options whereas for much of the season last year they had only one, Glen Davis. Now Glen is a year older and wiser and they also have an athletic, young 7 footer on the bench.

Posey is a big loss, but the team has plenty of realistic options on the bench.

House played very uncharacteristically last year. Where he played both defense and hit clutch shots during the playoffs. 1 year after finally getting his ring after efforts rarely seen from him is usually an abnormality not a sign that he is god. House is the least if on the bench but it isn't like he has teh track record were we should automatically expect that he will come back and put up everything he did last year in terms of defense and clutch shooting wich he hasn't done in the past 7 years of his career. Granted House is the very lowest "if" on the bench. And he is fine as our backup PG if we have another ball handler on the floor (wich is still just Pierce now unless our rookies step up).

You may believe in Leon Powe, but in reality he hasn't shown much to truely seperate himself from Big Baby. Leon is a good roleplayer offensively and a bad one defensively but always gives heart. Baby is a better roleplayer against opposing bench teams that can't handle his size (guys like Anderson Varejo).

And yes we have plenty of options, they aren't excatly the most inspiring.

Basically I'm mostly dissapointed because I had higher expectations. I was of the mind after coming off teh championship run that we would start out with a clabier of bench that we ended our run with. Not rely on rookies and Pruitt to develop to just meet par of last year's bench that we ended our run with. And a bench were we could relastically go to and give Pierce,Ray,KG down to 32 mpg without having them come back and pick up the mess. A bench with some solid veterant roleplayers mixed in with some rookies or busts or unproven injury career type of players, not one vet mix in with a bust, an injury career man ,and rookies.

All said and done it's a freaken bench and it won't kill us. Most teams are looking to improve their starting 5. And we still have leaders on this team that should allow us to keep our defensive mentality [KG,Pierce, Thibs]. Rookies aren't going to say anything to disrupt that like a vet that doesn't play defense might (Ricky Davis). I guess I just had unrealistic expectations of Boston being a free-agent destination after winning a championship.

..I nominate you for "worst post of the off-season" award... :roll:

Special mention for the excellent use of sarcasm and superiority of knowledge in criticism against the man that just pulled off one of the greatest long-term team reconstructions of all time... :lol:

oh well. people doubted us last year. i dont recall hearing anyone say "everythings ok, we got james posey now" last year. people doubted us before theyll doubt us again...until they prove them wrong. i guess bringing in banner 17 doesnt garner as much benefit of the doubt as it used to. .
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity..."
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#94 » by GuyClinch » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:51 am

Actually House was same kind of player in Jersey - a kinda scrappy sparkplug with a great shot..
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#95 » by greenbeans » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:25 pm

and in phoenix
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#96 » by tombattor » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:54 pm

GuyClinch wrote:Actually House was same kind of player in Jersey - a kinda scrappy sparkplug with a great shot..

He's pretty much been that his entire career...

Return to Boston Celtics