ImageImageImage

C's keeping caproom open in 2010 for run at Lebron, Dwade?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Dave_From_NB
Starter
And1: 1,535

Re: C's keeping caproom open in 2010 for run at Lebron, Dwade? 

Post#21 » by Dave_From_NB » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:16 pm

Bluewhale wrote:I think you underestimate KG. If there is anyone who could be as longevity as Karl Malone, who lead the team to Final at age 34 and 35, it's KG.

I don't doubt he'll be ok, but using your Malone example, at 35 he scored 18 points off his career high and only managed 42 games. KG is dropping off, although he still brings a lot to the court. No doubt his point production is down from sharing the ball and that's fine, but I don't remember anyone asking him to rebound less for the team, or have fewer assists. That triple double exhibition game got us excited and anticipating more, I think think we're still waiting for the second one...

I suppose we'll need to tune back in 2 years from now to know who is right, and frankly I'd be fine being wrong, because it would mean that KG (and Paul) are still all-star caliber. Here's to hoping I've mis-read the situation.
ARB729
Lead Assistant
And1: 17

Post#22 » by ARB729 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:24 pm

Hydroponic3385 wrote:
Bluewhale wrote:
Jimmy103 wrote:I love it

LeBron won't want to come play with Rondo-Pierce-Garnett-Perkins

He'd rather play with Harris-Vince-Yi-Boone or Duhon-Gallinari-Randolph-Curry

Give me a break

The beauty of Nets is that they can sign TWO SUPER STAR. How about
Harris-Vince-James-WHO_care-Dirk? And they have Vince's salary off next season to try Durant.

The Cavs can sing two superstars (including Lebron) and will be able to much easier than any other team. Right now they'll have about 11 million for West, Boobie, and Hickson and that's it. Plus they can go over the cap with Lebron by signing the other superstar first. They can also offer Lebron more than any other team, he'll be in his hometown which he said he wants to play for, and don't worry he'll still rack up as many in endorsements as he could desire. So don't forget the Cavs when you mention the Nets and their chances.

However, if we goes to the Nets or Knicks, they can offer him less because Nike and whoever else he endorses will probably give him more than his contract in endorsement money.
formerly RedSoxFan729
CeltsfanSinceBirth
RealGM
And1: 34,840

Post#23 » by CeltsfanSinceBirth » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:35 pm

The Celts have NO SHOT at Lebron James. He's signing with the Nets. This is probably the worst-kept secret in all of sports today. Lebron throws up the Roc sign. Jay-Z throws him parties at the 40/40 club. Lebron tells everyone Brooklyn is his favorite burrough. Jay-Z writes dis tracks towards Deshawn Stevenson. etc.

I think the Celts will find a way to get Melo or Joe Johnson though.
15th overall
RealGM
And1: 5,853

Post#24 » by 15th overall » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:58 pm

RedSoxFan729 wrote:However, if we goes to the Nets or Knicks, they can offer him less because Nike and whoever else he endorses will probably give him more than his contract in endorsement money.

The clause in his Nike contract includes Boston along with NY, LA and Chicago as destinations that would jack up his shoe deal drastically. Supposedly it's enough so that even if he signed for the MLE he'd still be making more cash than if he reupped with Cleveland for the max.

I dont think the Celts have a realistic shot at LeBron but his shoe contract at least leaves some hope. Those other teams would have to **** up real bad for us to really be an option though.
"[Brad Stevens] was just cool. He's always, always super cool." -- Stanley Johnson
Pogue Mahone
Head Coach
And1: 738

Post#25 » by Pogue Mahone » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:02 pm

I don't think that Ainge is positioning for a run at any particular FA class. I think he is doing something even better. He is going to leverage other team's greed into a favorable outcome for the Celtics.

Most fans are talking about this great FA class in 2010. Well, if teams want to make a big splash in FA, they need to shed salary. Expect a major player to pop loose and the Celtics will be in a position to capitalize. It might be as early as this trade deadline, depending on how things go.

Ray Allen was nothing more than a solid starter last season, imo. There is nothing wrong with that either (well, except the price tag.) I think Rondo is already better than Ray. Until Ray is moved, though, there is no way he is going to the bench at that salary. If Ray is in the starting line-up, Rondo's best traits are somewhat nullified because Ray, like Pierce, needs the ball in his hands to be effective. With that happening, Rondo's weakest skill, playing off the ball, becomes a factor.

Personally, I would move Ray now but that's me. I think the team would be better served with an athletic wing defender who can hit off the catch than to continue having Ray in the starting line-up where he has a tendency to kill ball-movement, makes bad decisions in the pick game and provides poor overall floor spacing.
Barry Lird
Junior
And1: 0

Post#26 » by Barry Lird » Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:13 pm

Very interesting take on what Ainge is setting up for. I think your scenario is far more likely than targeting a mega-star.

I disagree with your take on what Ray does though. I don't think he needs the ball to be effective, nor do I think he's a ball stopper. I think Ray is very effective at the catch and shoot. He can put it on the floor, but when he runs guys off picks, all he needs is a split second of separation, and he's deadly at the catch and shoot. One of the game's best at it.

Anyway, interesting post.
RondoGreen9
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#27 » by RondoGreen9 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:01 am

Bluewhale wrote:Flexibility. Flexibility. Flexibility.

Ainge won't tie his hands for the BEST FA summer in the history.

And even we missed it(unlikely). We can still extend Ray and Rondo at reasonable price. And shoot 2011 FA(Durant) and 2012 FA(Howard)

If the Celts could get Dwight Howard it would be lights out for the rest of the league. He would be 26 (prime of his career, or very close to it) He'd still get mentoring from KG and could become the face of the franchise for years to come. He's already a premiere center in the league with great offensive post moves and a defensive game to match it. His only flaw is that his coach is a moron. If he came to Boston we'd have to give up a lot of money, but it would definitely be worth it.

That said there's no way that the C's even go for Lebron nor D-Wade. Wade is injury prone and probably won't even last that long (and if he does he won't be a shell of the player he was his rookie/sophomore year) Lebron is going to go somewhere that will give him a championship (SA) I still think SA is his best option. He goes to a contender with a great chance of remaining a contender even with the monster acquisition because the team is very good at remaining a powerhouse in the west.

I can't see Bosh leaving Toronto especially since that franchise is heading in the right direction with Cauldron and him as their mainframe. T-Mac will be with Detroit by the end of this off-season so he won't he should just be erased from this list as well. Cuban will not let Dirk go, and he would go to any extreme to make that happen. That leaves Joe Johnson/Rip Hamilton. Rip would be 32 and a great veteran presences, plus he'll probably still be a scoring threat and a good defender. Joe Johnson is just awesome, but I don't see the Celtics going for someone who they let go years ago for basically nothing. Nobody likes to admit mistakes especially professional sports gm's/owners.

(I know this is long but stay with me) In 2010 we will still have a solid core of Pierce/Garnett/Perkins. Tony Allen will be a star by then, and Rajon will be one of the best point guards in the league. Based on this (and two drafts to go along with this years picks) our team should be solid enough that we won't need to make a big move. At best I could only see us going for a Veteran/Solid player to help out, but we won't need to make a huge splash and therefore won't

Return to Boston Celtics