ImageImageImage

Scal playing 10+ mpg

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

gocelts
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,898

Scal playing 10+ mpg 

Post#1 » by gocelts » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:26 am

First and formost let me begin by admiting im very aware im about to get bashed, trashed , and possibly banned by the time this is all said and done for suggesting or insinuating such madness..... but before you all throw your stones, im only asking for a few moments of open mindedness because there is the slightest chance that this scenerio may actualy happen...

Second of all The ONLY reason Im bringing this up is that there are repeated suggestions regarding scrap heap veterans that can help our team that are being let go by their current teams can be had for cheap....but for what reason? Well, either the current team is going in another direction or they weren't contibuting, but all of a sudden they might be able to help us because they were pretty good in a few games a few years ago...sound familiar?

I understand that Im not comparing apples to apples as Scals 3 million contract is a very tough pill to swallow when compared to a vet minimum one year but again.....I'm asking for an open mind here.

You guys know that Scal quietly started 9 games for us last year? Just imagine if we could even get some production in 10minutes with smart play, limited turnovers & servicable Defense that he;s already familiar with until say February.....remember he has never complained about his role, he doesnt hog the ball, and has taken the garbage we give him like a pro. If he simply does his best are you thinking there's a chance he may round out the bench like some of these other scrap heap vets could, or even become viewed as a possible trade candidate?

(yes im sober)
Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Re: Scal playing 10+ mpg 

Post#2 » by Rocky5000 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:35 am

Help a little, yes, trade candidate, yes, as his contract is expiring next year. He's not very clutch though, and the pressure affects him way too much. He even gets jittery when people start cheering his name! On the defensive end, he's pretty good, and I think maybe if given consistent time, he could hit the Posey corner 3 throughout the season. The guy hasn't really been playing very much over the last 2 years, so when he gets in the game he has little composure. Maybe with more time he'll get used to playing again.
grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#3 » by grantlongforpresident » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:40 am

I think Scal can be a solid work horse for regular season games. Once the playoffs arrive, Doc will shorten the rotation and Scal will warm the bench again.

I like Scal in 10 minutes/game. Just tell him to stop jacking shots.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,742

Post#4 » by meatball sub » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:37 am

Webster's Dictionary wrote:disaster |diˈzastər|
noun
a sudden event, such as an accident or a natural catastrophe, that causes great damage or loss of life : 159 people died in the disaster | disaster struck within minutes of takeoff.
• [as adj. ] denoting a genre of films that use natural or accidental catastrophe as the mainspring of plot and setting : a disaster movie.
• an event or fact that has unfortunate consequences : a string of personal disasters | reduced legal aid could spell financial disaster.
• informal a person, act, or thing that is a failure : my perm is a total disaster.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#5 » by GuyClinch » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:30 pm

I don't see how he will get those minutes. He has to beat out guys that are better then him. At the 3 he has to beat out TA. And at the 4 he has to beat out BBD and Powe. At the 5 well okay that COULD happen. We can pray it doesn't though.

I know what your thinking but Pete TA can't play the three - how will he match up? He is too short.

It won't matter.

Doc is going to subsitute like this..

Early 2nd quarter/end of 1st - Pierce goes out. TA comes in. RA moves to SF...later in second (5 minutes pass)..Pierce comes in RA goes out. TA continues at 2 spot for 5 more minutes.

End of third/Early 4th quarter - see above.

That being said while I never liked the Brian Scalabrine signing. But if (knock on wood) a guy like TA or Powe gets injured he could be a passable reserve. Just like Posey people have gone too far on this guy. Posey wasn't all that and a bag of chips and Brian Scalabrine is a legit NBA rotation player.. He can play passable D and hit 3 pointers. He also has a clue out there.

Pete
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,502

Post#6 » by canman1971 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:39 pm

I really don't see anything good coming from playing Scal any minutes. He really is just a body, who can commit some fouls. That is about it. He cannot play the 3. Maybe he could a few years ago, but he is looking quite round these days.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#7 » by humblebum » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:42 pm

Scal could definitely be useful against a couple Big SF's or Quick PF's as his defense is actually pretty solid. I'm actually one of the bigger Scal apologists but he can definitely struggle out there at times. Playing next to Perk, or up front with two other bigs, Scals lack of rebounding doesn't hurt as much. I feel that offensively Scal could be servicable as facilitator of ball movement/outside shooter, but the pressure definitely seems to effect him. There is the potential for Scal to fill a niche role with this team but I'm hoping that Powe/Davis/T. Allen/Giddens claim the majority of the consistent minutes at the backup 3-4 spots.
cisco
Veteran
And1: 48

Post#8 » by cisco » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:12 pm

If Scal is playing 10 mpg then things are probably not going well and someone (or even two players) are hurt. Let's hope Scal never sees the floor. That would mean Powe, Baby and Tony are healthy and are playing well.
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#9 » by Prophet_C » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:22 pm

The only way I want Scal to see 10 minutes in a game is if we have a 30 point lead by halftime
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,052

Post#10 » by Dogen » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:29 pm

The only way I want to see Scal get 10 minutes a game is if he comes into camp chiseled.
Hey you! Can we come together?
mantis32
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#11 » by mantis32 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:31 pm

Yes, we all know scal is a very smart player, makes good decisions, and can shoot the three sometimes...but right now, i don't want to see scal out there unless these three situations occur:

1) We have a huge lead in the fourth and we want to get our main players rest
2) If our 3 or 4's get into foul trouble EARLY in the game, which means i never want to see him out there in the second half of a close game
3) Pierce, Allen, Giddens, Walker, whoever all get suspended and we desperately need scal out there

He's going to be a very good coach someday, but honestly, i see no value in him except a soon to be expiring contract.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 8,981

Post#12 » by Bad-Thoma » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:36 pm

Well, I agree with the OP. Scal may not be that good, but isn't much different than some of the scrubs/past primes out there that have been mentioned, and he is already on the books. I'd just as soon play him as Devean George for instance, Scal's actually a better shooter. At least as far as scrubs go, Scal is already familiar with the team's defense and offense. If one of the rookies steps up, or TA can defend the 3 better than I think he can, Scal will uncomplainingly warm the pine again. I think the OP has a pretty good point.
dsorc
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#13 » by dsorc » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:53 pm

I can see Scal getting about 5-10 mpg at the beginning of the season if Doc is smart and tries to keep minutes low for the big 3 and goes for a deep rotation. Then as soon Giddens earns his minutes by beating Scal, he'd replace him as the 12th man to dress.
Dave_From_NB
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#14 » by Dave_From_NB » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:04 pm

I end up getting a lot of opposition team Internet feeds for Celtics games, and it's always a laugh when the announcers come on and knowingly (sic) announce that fan favorite Brian Scalabrine is entering the game. If there is some love for him, it sure isn't found on Internet boards.

I think Scal will get some minutes at the start of the season, with a likely slide down until he's 13'th guy as the rookies pick up their game.

Although his salary could be better used elsewhere, he's an ok "in case of emergency break glass" sort of guy, as he can fill in at 3, 4, 5 if needed. And to his credit, I can't recall bad things being said about him by other players, he doesn't seem to be a distraction, and seems happy enough with whatever role he gets. Not the greatest value, but he's already on contract and we may as well make some use of him.

I think if Scal can suck up some minutes and we still have a good record, it's worth having him on the court to try and contain the minutes of the Big 3.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,229

Post#15 » by TheSheriff » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:01 pm

Rondo-1
Ray Allen-2
Paul Pierce-3
Kevin Garnett-4
Kendrick Perkins-5
Eddie House-6
Tony Allen-7
JR Giddens-8
Gabe Pruitt-9
Patrick O'Bryant- 10
Leon Powe-11
Glen Davis-12

Scal won't even be on the active roster.
Collinto
Sixth Man
And1: 25

Post#16 » by Collinto » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:08 pm

TheSheriff wrote:Rondo-1
Ray Allen-2
Paul Pierce-3
Kevin Garnett-4
Kendrick Perkins-5
Eddie House-6
Tony Allen-7
JR Giddens-8
Gabe Pruitt-9
Patrick O'Bryant- 10
Leon Powe-11
Glen Davis-12

Rondo-1
Ray Allen-2
Paul Pierce-3
Kevin Garnett-4
Kendrick Perkins-5
Tony Allen-6 (constant mention of his inability to play short minutes means he is our "6th man")
Leon Powe-7 (First big off of bench atleast when season starts)
Eddie House-8 (Same minutes and rotation with Rondo as last season)
Glen Davis-9 (He will get the 4th big minutes, but may take Powes minutes at some point)
JR Giddens- 10 (He'll get those 4-5 minutes stints that frustrated TA last season)
Gabe Pruitt-11 (He'll be on the roster and get some garbage time minutes)
Patrick O'Bryant/Scal-12 (Garbage time, rotate on and off active roster)
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,229

Post#17 » by TheSheriff » Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:46 pm

Collinto wrote:
TheSheriff wrote:Rondo-1
Ray Allen-2
Paul Pierce-3
Kevin Garnett-4
Kendrick Perkins-5
Eddie House-6
Tony Allen-7
JR Giddens-8
Gabe Pruitt-9
Patrick O'Bryant- 10
Leon Powe-11
Glen Davis-12

Rondo-1
Ray Allen-2
Paul Pierce-3
Kevin Garnett-4
Kendrick Perkins-5
Tony Allen-6 (constant mention of his inability to play short minutes means he is our "6th man")
Glen Davis-9 (He will get the 4th big minutes, but may take Powes minutes at some point)
JR Giddens- 10 (He'll get those 4-5 minutes stints that frustrated TA last season)

That wasn't actually meant to be a list in order of importance (rather just counting to 12), but i agree with your analysis.
dsorc
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#18 » by dsorc » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:19 pm

Collinto wrote:Rondo-1
Ray Allen-2
Paul Pierce-3
Kevin Garnett-4
Kendrick Perkins-5

Here's how I see it:
Rondo-1
Ray Allen-2
Paul Pierce-3
Kevin Garnett-4
Kendrick Perkins-5
Tony Allen-6
Leon Powe-7
Eddie House-8
I think those first 8 everybody agrees are our core rotation.

Glen Davis-9
Patrick O'Bryant-10
These two will fight for the rest of the backup big mins depending on who we are matching up with. Davis looks to get the most minutes but for taller teams I expect O'Bryant to be used first.

Gabe Pruitt-11 (He'll be challenging House for the backup G minutes but probably starts the year just playing garbage time)
Scal-12 (To start the season. Will pick up whatever scraps are available at backup 3 or 4)
JR Giddens- 13 (First he has to earn his minutes)

I don't think Doc has begun the season giving the rookies minutes so I wouldn't be surprised to see Giddens start the year in street clothes. The longer it takes to sign him the longer I see him in street clothes to start the year. Let him learn the system and earn his minutes and till then Scal gets to play for a bit.

Return to Boston Celtics