ImageImageImage

Don't Know if Anyone Else Noticed This But...

Moderators: bisme37, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob

Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Don't Know if Anyone Else Noticed This But... 

Post#1 » by Gomes3PC » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:10 pm

I think it's absolutely INSANE that Tom Thibodeau has not been poached from the Celtics. I didn't even really hear his name RUMORED for any of the head coaching jobs. People talk about the loss of James Posey and how it hurts defense and 3 point shooting, but so long as Thibodeau is around, I think we'll have the best D in the NBA. Yes, losing Big Game James hurts, but I think if we had kept Posey but lost TT, we would be in WAY worse a position than we are right now.

I call this offseason a definite win just by virtue of the fact that we get to keep the best Xs and Os defensive coach in the NBA.
celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,276

Re: Don't Know if Anyone Else Noticed This But... 

Post#2 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:21 pm

There was no where else for him to go.

After a championship season our off-season has essentially ended up being shaving 4 mil off the books that was being paid for perhaps the best roleplayer in the NBA.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#3 » by Celtics_Champs » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:53 pm

Teams were already far into conversations with other coaches when we were still in the title run. I think that had a big factor in it.
GreenGrizz
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#4 » by GreenGrizz » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:04 pm

Tom's home is there. Maybe he and his family got enough with the move and all.
Barry Lird
Junior

Post#5 » by Barry Lird » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:20 pm

I'm really hopeful that the entire coaching staff will return intact, and Danny has stated he wants to do that, but as far as I know, it hasn't happened yet, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed for now. Strange things happen with regard to signing on as a coach. Just look at how Thibodeau ended up here last year. I'm hopeful though. I hope they make Thib the highest paid assistant coach in the league if that's what it takes to get it done (it ain't my money :) ).
Truthiracy
Sixth Man
And1: 71

Post#6 » by Truthiracy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:06 pm

Overpay for TT if you have to, he's worth it.
Debate the Conspiracy master on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/truthiracy3
TheCelticTruth
Analyst
Location: You Can't Handle the Truth, the real city of champions, again.

Post#7 » by TheCelticTruth » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:32 pm

i read there was some skepticism that tom is so set in his ways that he might not be flexible enough. it was in the same piece that discussed how a lot of teams are looking at the doc and danny dynamic and trying to copy that. i think it was the boston globe but it mightve been the herald, or even on espn.

if im remembering right tho, it was the sunday league notes in one of the two papers

Sig by twolves4ever
Boston-Syracuse-North Carolina, Screw Duke and BC
"ubuntu"
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,719

Post#8 » by meatball sub » Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:38 pm

Well that settles it. Keep winning championships and Tim stays since teams don't wait around long to hire a new coach.
TheSheriff
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,219

Post#9 » by TheSheriff » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:29 pm

IMO Basketball franchises are, in general, incredibly stupid about who they hire to be head coaches and general managers. The NBA is an old boys club that keeps recycling the same crappy coaches and GMs. Owners hire people who were great players, but cannot seem to figure out that coaching, playing, and making personal decisions are three different skill sets. That is why Michael Jordan (with no successful front office experience), Thomas, ect... keep getting hired. Baseball figured it out, Football figured it out, but baseball hasn't/ BTW It is worth a one month wait to hire the best candidate.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#10 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:52 am

I thought like all of the coaches signed this year were all new coaches. Sounds like teams are looking for fresh faces to me.
Gomes3PC
General Manager
And1: 3,752

Post#11 » by Gomes3PC » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:29 pm

Seriously. Waiting a freaking month, when FAs can't even be signed and the draft is weeks after the Finals, is not THAT hard. I just find it incredibly gratifying that Ainge is one of the few guys who has not gone the good-old-boy route with his front office and coaching staff. Like the players, you bring in the best guys possible, whether or not they were former NBA stars or buddies with the commissioner.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#12 » by humblebum » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:54 pm

There was no where else for him to go.

After a championship season our off-season has essentially ended up being shaving 4 mil off the books that was being paid for perhaps the best roleplayer in the NBA.

Way to look on the bright side of things.... :roll:

Best roleplayer in the NBA? HAHAHAHAHAHHA. Kendrick Perkins and Rondo are better roles players than James Posey on his own team, nevermind the whole NBA. Ridiculous.

Return to Boston Celtics