ImageImageImage

Top 10 players in the NBA

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,034

Re: Top 10 players in the NBA 

Post#21 » by Bad-Thoma » Sun Aug 3, 2008 10:59 pm

Bad-Thoma wrote:
sh00n wrote:I thought Pierce was 1st?

Edit: I don't have the heart to pick on Raptor's fans after we just won a championship. Good luck next year.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach

Post#22 » by Bad-Thoma » Sun Aug 3, 2008 11:01 pm

sh00n wrote:
Bad-Thoma wrote:
sh00n wrote:I thought Pierce was 1st?

Pretty funny stuff, Laker fan. Love your sig and avatar, too. Clever. It must be a consolation prize to have a little fuel for your resentment of Pierce after what he did in the finals. BTW, hows Kobe? He recovered from that no-show in the finals yet?

I wouldn't know; I'm not a Laker fan.

Good effort, though.

Yeah, my mistake, I fixed it in the above post. Like I said above, I won't retaliate against some Raptor's fan, no matter how trollish stopping by with that sig and avatar may be, it's got to be sad enough as it is. Best of luck next year.

Edit: I even have to admit that the avatar is pretty funny, even if you did just post in this thread to be provocative.
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach

Post#23 » by Bad-Thoma » Sun Aug 3, 2008 11:08 pm

taufblazers33 wrote:how can paul pierce be on this list???? he couldnt do anything until Ray Allen and Garnett got there. i'm not saying hes not good. but putting him in the top ten list is just sad. pls dont take this as a troll..cuz im a huge Paul Pierce fan.

Pierce did plenty individually without Ray and KG, and made the playoffs most years, even going as far as the conference finals with a pretty lame supporting cast. I'd put him at 8 in my list, but top ten is debatable. Sad however, it is not. He's always been a great scorer and excellent rebounder for a small forward, and his passing and defense have improved his whole career. He'll be in the HOF some day. I don't see the problem here.
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#24 » by sh00n » Sun Aug 3, 2008 11:08 pm

That's trolling? Okay. You must be a troll for still hanging on to the cliche BEAT LA sig too, then. Troll.

I asked a simple question; after all it was your player who made the statement. I was just curious.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach

Post#25 » by Bad-Thoma » Sun Aug 3, 2008 11:17 pm

sh00n wrote:That's trolling? Okay. You must be a troll for still hanging on to the cliche BEAT LA sig too, then. Troll.

I asked a simple question; after all it was your player who made the statement. I was just curious.

You'll notice I don't spend a lot of time on the Laker's board with my Beat La sig. That would be more troll like, sort of like posting a wise ass comment about Pierce on the Celtic's board with a Celtic's wheelchair avatar (funny, btw), and a Paul Pierce #1 signature. And Beat La cliche? Timeless is more like it :wink:. I really didn't mean to make that big of a deal out your comment though, I just find it annoying how people can latch on to a comment taken out of context and translated to a different language and make it into reason to hate on someone.
sh00n
RealGM
And1: 1,969

Post#26 » by sh00n » Sun Aug 3, 2008 11:22 pm

Spend a lot of time on the Celtics board? I can count on my hand how many posts I've had here, but whatever you say.
Support your local artist, kids: http://www.katsenhakeron.com
@katsenhaker0n on the bird app
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach

Post#27 » by Bad-Thoma » Sun Aug 3, 2008 11:27 pm

sh00n wrote:Spend a lot of time on the Celtics board? I can count on my hand how many posts I've had here, but whatever you say.

Didn't say you did, just said I don't go to the Lakers board with my anti-lakers signature. However, I did over react a little to your comment, given your avatar and signature I'll somehow find it in my heart to forgive myself, but let's leave it at that before this thread becomes any more hijacked (my fault) than it already is over something so stupid. You can even get the last word in if you like.
Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Post#28 » by Spin Move » Sun Aug 3, 2008 11:40 pm

In no order the top 10 players are

Kobe
Lebron
Chris Paul
KG
Deron Williams
Tim Duncan
Paul Pierce
Dwight Howard
Amare
Steve Nash
Al-Haqq
Starter
And1: 1

Post#29 » by Al-Haqq » Mon Aug 4, 2008 12:27 am

Dwight Howard is nice, but let's be real here. He is not the 5th best player in the league or anywhere above. His offensive game is no where near as polished as better big men, like Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki.

He's a solid defender and is a huge force down low, but he simply isn't a top 7 player. He struggles from the FT line, when he really shouldn't if you consider how many times he gets to the line. Does not pass well out of double teams and can turn the ball over a lot.

He can't take over games and although he out-plays smaller match-ups considerably, he simply does not have any type of consistency with a jumper from outside the paint and not much finesse to beat players who play him physically.

Nonetheless, he has all the talent and ability to become the most dominant player in the league in a few years. As of now he's border-line top 10 player.

He's on par with big men like Amare Stoudemire, Elton Brand, but not guys like Dirk Nowitzki, Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan.
dsorc
Pro Prospect
And1: 91

Post#30 » by dsorc » Mon Aug 4, 2008 12:37 am

My top 10:
1. Duncan
2. KG
3. Kobe
4. Deron
5. Chris Paul
6. Dirk
7. Lebron
8. Brand
9. PP
10. Nash

Yao would be around 6-8 except he never plays a full season. I don't buy the Wade hype at all.
Bruiser
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#31 » by Bruiser » Mon Aug 4, 2008 9:26 am

Nowadays, not in order.

Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Kobe Bryant, Kevin Garnett, Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Dwayne Wade, Jason Kidd, Brandon Roy, Lebron James
tombattor
General Manager
And1: 807

Post#32 » by tombattor » Mon Aug 4, 2008 2:56 pm

1. Lebron
2. Duncan
3. Kobe
4. Chris Paul
5. Yao
6. D-Howard
7. Pierce
8. KG
9. Deron Williams
10. Dirk
captain_cheapseats
Starter

Post#33 » by captain_cheapseats » Mon Aug 4, 2008 3:45 pm

I'll assume perfect health for my list -- because that's what the thread starter wants -- though to me health is a very relevant aspect of a player's performance. I'll also add that after the first two guys, I think any top 10 list is somewhat arbitrary. Anyway.....

T1: LBJ
T1: Kobe
T3: KG
T3: Duncan
T3: CP3
T3: D12
#7: Nash
#8: Dwade
#9: Yao
#10: Pierce
captain_cheapseats
Starter

Post#34 » by captain_cheapseats » Mon Aug 4, 2008 4:00 pm

Al-Haqq wrote:Dwight Howard is nice, but let's be real here. He is not the 5th best player in the league or anywhere above. His offensive game is no where near as polished as better big men, like Kevin Garnett, Tim Duncan, Dirk Nowitzki.

True, but he's a significantly better rebounder than all those guys, and a much better defender than Dirk. Also, despite his lack of offensive "polish" he did manage to average 20 per game while shooting around 60% from the field, so it isn't as though he has no skills on the offensive end.

The big reason I have him so high on my list though is simply that he makes his team better by occupying so much of the opposition's attention. Whenever the Celts played Orlando last year the effort spent keeping Howard out of the paint and off the glass was incredible, and really made them change the way they play. Any guy who can force the best team in the NBA to adjust their game plan to contain him at least has an argument for the top-10, IMO.
yodi184
Junior

Post#35 » by yodi184 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 9:02 pm

You should all revise your list to make Paul Pierce #1... coz he's the greatest player in the world :)
For years is underrated, and I agree with his assessment.

1. Paul Pierce
2. Lebron James
3. Chris Paul
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Tim Duncan
6. Dirk Nowitzki
7. Deron Williams
8. Kevin Garnett
9. Amare Stoudemire
10. Steve Nash
mrautobahn
Pro Prospect

Post#36 » by mrautobahn » Mon Aug 4, 2008 9:46 pm

I cannot believe after this post season... anyone would choose Kobe over Lebron. Kobe had a much more talented cast and the Cavs gave the Celtics more trouble...
cisco
Veteran
And1: 48

Post#37 » by cisco » Mon Aug 4, 2008 9:50 pm

Paul Pierce 8-) *
Tim Duncan
LeBron James
Kevin Garnett
Kobe Bryant
Chris Paul
Dwyane Wade
Carmelo Anthony
Dwight Howard
Tracy McGrady

8-) Paul says he's the best so he's the best.
*Really though, I'd put him 3rd behind Lebron. I do think he's a weee bit better than KG though.
Dogen
RealGM
And1: 10,069

Post#38 » by Dogen » Tue Aug 5, 2008 12:41 am

I'm going to agree with Pierce on this one.

10 Best Players in the NBA: The Definitive List that is Incomparable and Totally Beyond Reproach:

1. Paul Pierce, the Captain Who Speaks the TRUTH
2. Kevin "Anything is Possible" Garnett
3. Ray Allen, aka, the "Kobe Killa"
4. Ragin' Rondo--- makes CP3 look like C3PO
5. Perk-o-Matic Beast-a-Licious
6. Brain Scalbrine-- Doesn't play much, but that's because it is unfair to rest of league.
7. Patrick O' Bryant--- like Kobe, but "O" so much better. You will see....
8. "T&A" Allen--- another 5-6 knee surgeries could knock him out of top ten all-time.
9. Patrick O'Bryant-- yes, his arms are so long he gets two spots. Basically, no one can score on him.
10. Tie: Big Baby Davis/ JR Giddens--- LeBron is technically a teeny bit better than both these guys, but they've got the superior dance moves. Sorry, LeBron.
Hey you! Can we come together?
CJ_18
Assistant Coach
And1: 35

Post#39 » by CJ_18 » Tue Aug 5, 2008 12:59 am

You should all revise your list to make Paul Pierce #1... coz he's the greatest player in the world

lol, he's not even top 10.

Prue wrote:I don't think you can argue with this list

1. Lebron
2. Kobe
3. Garnett
4. S. Nash
5. D. Howard
6. C. Paul
7. T. Duncan
8. D. Nowitzki
9. C. Anthony
10. D. Wade

That is THE list ladies and gentlemen. No Peirce, Duncan not too high, LeBron and Kobe 1-2 respectively. The only thing that you could argue, is that after this season, or maybe even midway through this season, Nash and D-wade will swap spots.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#40 » by greenbeans » Tue Aug 5, 2008 1:08 am

Duncan
James
Bryant
Garnett
Paul
Pierce
Wade