ImageImageImage

Top 10 players in the NBA

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Who-rod
Starter
And1: 254

Re: Top 10 players in the NBA 

Post#61 » by Who-rod » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:07 am

1. Lebron
2. Kevin Garnett
3. Tim Duncan
4. Kobe Bryant
5. Chris Paul
6. Dwight Howard
7. Dirk
8. Dwayne Wade
9. Paul Pierce
10. Steve Nash/Deron Williams
pballa
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#62 » by pballa » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:56 pm

Dirk ahead of PP/Flash, really?
Ballin02
Sophomore

Post#63 » by Ballin02 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:46 am

lojowo wrote:Order isnt bad and I think you could people up and down the list depending on health, etc.

Omissions that I would like to include: Elton Brand, Pau Gasol, Vince Carter, Shawn Marion, Micheal Redd.

Chris paul is a top 10, Arenas/Iverson is overrated based on coming off injury ( Arenas ) and Age ( Iverson). Scorers ( who have poor shooting percentages )tend to be overated on lists like these.

LOL! So because Iverson is 30+ years old he shouldn't be allowed on the list? I guess if we are going by that rule then players like Kobe, KG, Steve Nash, Tim Duncan and Dirk shouldn't be included as well huh? Players (especially wing players) that shoot the ball a lot are not going to shoot the ball at 60% every single game, which is why you will find that centers have the highest field goal percentages because they play the game closer to the rack, that is just commen sense. Iverson shoots the ball at 45-46%..Kobe shoots the ball at 45-46%. So I don't see why it is okay for one person to shoot a certain percentage and not another. If they were shooting the ball 20 times a game and was continually shooting at 30%, then there would be a problem. I checked the stats and seen that Iverson was in the top ten in PPG, assists and steals along with leading the league in minutes played, so if that is considered "overrated" to you then that is just scary. If you don't like these players then fine, but I really wish people would stop trying to downgrade these players simply because you don't like them or deney that they are some of the best we have in the game.

Anyhow, most of these lists look like fan "favorite player" lists (as a you wanting to add Vince Carter, Elton Brand or Michael Redd in the current top ten) and not TRUE lists. Anyone that leaves out CP3 or Kobe out of the top ten for this season is just being ridiculous. Thats not my opinion, thats just fact...I can't stand Kobe, but I can't take away from the fact that he is currently one of the top players in the NBA. Like some of you who try to take away from some of these other players simply because you don't like them.
DynastyInTheMaking
Rookie
And1: 1

Post#64 » by DynastyInTheMaking » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:42 am

1. Lebron
2. Kobe (I personally hate the guy but gotta do it)
3.) CP3
4.) Kevin Garnett
5.) Dwight Howard
6.) Amare Stoudemire
7.) Paul Pierce
8.) Steve Nash
9.) Deron Williams
10.) Chris Bosh

Followed by Wade, Ming, Duncan, Dirk, McGrady, Baron, Melo, Boozer, Iguodala, Monta in some order.
I despise fans that cheer on a team from up north or one that resembles a dinosaur. oh wait...
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#65 » by sunshinekids99 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:13 am

Sorry but there is no way that Wade or Duncan are not top 10 players IMO.
Brett43
Junior
And1: 167

Post#66 » by Brett43 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:35 am

Couple of points:

I don't see how anybody's lists can leave off Nowitzki (06-07 MVP) or Nash (05-06 and 04-05 MVP). Dirk hasn't won a ring yet, but Karl Malone never won one. Sometimes it just doesn't happen.

Regarding Kobe, he may be near the top in individual skills, but he has always been a prima donna ball hog. That knocks him out of the top 5. Given a choice between, say, Kobe and Chris Paul at the same money, I would take Chris Paul for my team.

And for those of you (almost everyone) who rank Kobe above Paul Pierce: Would you trade Paul Pierce for Kobe straight up? Aside from the fact that I detest Kobe, I'd still prefer Paul Pierce on my team. All in all, P2 is a better player. P2 may not have quite the individual talent of Kobe, but he's a MUCH better team player and has overcome a lot more. And let's not forget he outplayed Kobe in the finals. Isn't that a better measure of talent than raw scoring statistics accumulated against second tier teams during the regular season?

1. Lebron
2. Pierce
3. Garnett
4. Nowitzki
5. Nash
6. Paul
7. Duncan
8. Iverson
9. Howard
10. Baron Davis (love the guy)
Brett43
Junior
And1: 167

Post#67 » by Brett43 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:38 am

Who did I forget? OK maybe put Kobe in there at 9 or 10.
bhinder11
Sophomore

Post#68 » by bhinder11 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:54 am

1. Kobe
2. LBJ
3. Chris Paul
4. Kevin Garnett
5. Tim Duncan
6. Dwight Howard
7. Amare Stoudemire
8. Steve Nash
9. Dirk Nowitzki
10. Yao Ming

hmm for some reason I think im forgetting someone :-?
BlackIce
Head Coach
And1: 901

Post#69 » by BlackIce » Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:05 pm

Brett43 wrote:Who did I forget? OK maybe put Kobe in there at 9 or 10.

lol, how kobe goes to being the undisputed king of the league and the best player (according to almost all other nba players no less), to, maybe top ten? How is Pierce number 2 in the league? really? I realize this is the bosten board but come on...give me a break. Kobe is top 2. PP is the one in the 9-10 range.

Brett43 wrote:he has always been a prima donna ball hog. That knocks him out of the top 5.

:lol: So was Jordan...not that Kobe is as good but u get my point.
bruno sundov
Assistant Coach
And1: 13

Post#70 » by bruno sundov » Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:46 pm

MJ lifted his teammates up with his words and play. KB24 just tears them down. MJ is 2X the player KB24 is.
Godmoney
Analyst
And1: 464

Post#71 » by Godmoney » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:42 pm

1. LeBron James - Tempting to put Bryant at #1, but he really has wilted in the playoffs a few times now and LeBron has risen to the occasion with an inferior cast. The most imposing player in the league.

2. Kobe Bryant - Although he submitted a terrible finals and has faded out for a few playoffs in a row, he was playing with an inexperienced squad that will likely get over the hump in the next few years. I'm still expecting this guy to finish with more than three rings.

3. Tim Duncan - Tempting to put KG here and it is close, but Duncan is willing to go on the block and dominate playoff games. KG dominates in his own way but you don't get the sense from KG that he's capable of dropping a 40-20 on the opposition like Duncan can at any moment.

4. Kevin Garnett - A truly unique player on this list because he is such a dominant player, yet you never see him run off 15-straight points or go for 40+ point games. He does play incredible defense, can defend bigger and smaller players, provide help D, rebound, and get his team mates involved. He also is good for a consistent 20ppg. Easily Boston's most consistent player during the championship run. Plus his work ethic, intensity, and personality truly do have an effect on his teammates.

5. Chris Paul - As of last season, the best PG in the league. He's young and not ready to compete with and beat Duncan or Kobe in a 7-game series, but with a little more experience he'll get there.

6. Dwayne Wade - Anyone putting Dirk ahead of Wade on their list didn't watch the 2006 NBA Finals. For those of you who missed it, they met in 2006 in a best of 7 series with the NBA championship on the line. Dirk's team had homecourt and Dirk was having the playoffs of a lifetime heading into the finals. They were saying he was doing things statistically that hadn't been done since Bird. Then Wade outscored him by I'd say at least 15ppg over the course of the series and took home the 'ship in 6.

7. Dwight Howard - An absolute beast who will likely skyrocket up this list. He is limited by his experience, his demeanor, and his free throw shooting. You can't average 15ppg against Detroit in a playoff series. Plus as long as he's a sub-60% free throw shooter he will be a liability at the end of games and will be subjected to the hack-a-shaq. Still, he is a force and the league's best rebounder.

8. Paul Pierce - He passes Dirk in my opinion because he rose to the occasion when it mattered. He didn't just show that he's a scorer, he showed that he can play top-notch defense on NBA megastars when the team needs him to do it. Where was this effort the rest of his career? We'll never know. But he did contribute in a major way to banner #17 being risen in Boston and he did it with a good attitude and impressive all-around play.

9. Steve Nash - I really feel like he's being underrated in this thread. Anyone watch him run those pick 'n rolls for the Suns? He is unstoppable. He does so much for that team it is ridiculous. He won't ever win a ring with the Suns but that has more to do with the Spurs being a great team and a tough matchup for them than anything having to do with Nash. With that said, he is old, his team is on the decline, and he is probably the most likely to fall off this list after next year.

10. Deron Williams - Considered putting Dirk, T-Mac, or Amare here. Dirk has historically played great when it doesn't really matter, then faded when he is needed the most. Some would say an MVP award warrants inclusion on this list, but it was probably the least inspiring MVP season ever (24ppg 8rpg, first round loss to an #8 seed). Dirk also did not play like an MVP in the "06 finals, against GSW, or against the Hornets last season. T-Mac can't get out of the first round. Amare is still a sieve on defense and a headcase. In Artestian fashion, he cost his franchise their best chance at a ring by getting suspended by losing his cool. He's entertaining and high flying and talks a lot of trash, but no D, huge ego, and lack of cool and obvious detractors. I'll take D-Will who already is a great one and will get better..

I also don't understand how anyone is putting Yao on this list. Please. He got hurt and his team ran off a 22-game win streak with Mutombo in his place. He's a nice player, but is hardly having the type of impact that the other players on these lists are having.
LarryBirdsFingr wrote:No need to pay attention to ignormous maximus.

HUMBLEBUM: Make a new account and PM me.
NDaATL
Lead Assistant
And1: 520

Post#72 » by NDaATL » Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:04 am

The overrating of Paul Pierce in this thread is downright disgusting. Seriously, get a clue. Pierce is MAYBE a top 10 player and many people in this thread have him top 5? He didn't even have a good playoffs, he had a few good games and that was it. His supporting cast is what won him a title, with him being a vital part of it of course.. Had he replaced LeBron or Kobe on CLE or LAL, he'd have sucked too.

Brett43, you are so far in the dark that it isn't even worth responding. You really need to learn more about basketball.
drza
Analyst
And1: 1,852

Post#73 » by drza » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:01 pm

1) LeBron
2) KG
3) Duncan
4) Kobe
5) Dirk
6) Wade (moves up with health)
7) Chris Paul
8) Dwight Howard
9) Amare Stoudemire
10) toss-up (Yao, Pierce, T-Mac, Deron, Ginobili, Nash, Bosh, Brand all in the mix)
Creator of the Hoops Lab: tinyurl.com/mpo2brj
Contributor to NylonCalculusDOTcom
Contributor to TYTSports: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTbFEVCpx9shKEsZl7FcRHzpGO1dPoimk
Follow on Twitter: @ProfessorDrz
grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#74 » by grantlongforpresident » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:37 pm

NDaATL wrote:The overrating of Paul Pierce in this thread is downright disgusting. Seriously, get a clue. Pierce is MAYBE a top 10 player and many people in this thread have him top 5? He didn't even have a good playoffs, he had a few good games and that was it. His supporting cast is what won him a title, with him being a vital part of it of course.. Had he replaced LeBron or Kobe on CLE or LAL, he'd have sucked too.

Brett43, you are so far in the dark that it isn't even worth responding. You really need to learn more about basketball.

1st of all - This is the Boston forum so obviously people here like PP
2nd of all - Most people have him near the end of the top 10 list (where you admit he could be)
3rd of all - He was Finals MVP: sounds like a good playoffs to me

4th of all - Atlanta is a crappy city and the Hawks always suck. Have fun with 0 players in the being top 10. And good luck in the lottery next year... again. You won 37 games last year and now you don't have Childress. Best case scenerio is a 1st round exit. Typical Hawks season. Maybe when your owners stop suing eachother you can trade 2 first rounders for the ability to overpay another wingman.
NDaATL
Lead Assistant
And1: 520

Post#75 » by NDaATL » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:30 pm

grantlongforpresident wrote:1st of all - This is the Boston forum so obviously people here like PP
2nd of all - Most people have him near the end of the top 10 list (where you admit he could be)
3rd of all - He was Finals MVP: sounds like a good playoffs to me

So did Chauncey Billups, that doesn't make him a top 5 player. Pierce did not have a great playoffs, his statistics were subpar. Now, he did come up clutch and have some big games, but that alone does not make him as good as many in this thread are rating him, regardless if you're Boston fans or not.

4th of all - Atlanta is a crappy city and the Hawks always suck. Have fun with 0 players in the being top 10. And good luck in the lottery next year... again. You won 37 games last year and now you don't have Childress. Best case scenerio is a 1st round exit. Typical Hawks season. Maybe when your owners stop suing eachother you can trade 2 first rounders for the ability to overpay another wingman.

I wasn't trying to start a flame war about each others teams, but if we suck that bad, than what does it say about your Celtics who took 7 games to beat us? I agree our ownership sucks, I really can't say anything to that. So who are all these swingmen we have? And which ones are overpaid??
floyd
Bench Warmer
And1: 648

Post#76 » by floyd » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:11 pm

Pierce was the best offensive player and perimeter defender on a 66 win team and NBA champion. That's why folks think he's good. There may be more dominant scorers, but Paul has developed into a great team player as well as a top scorer. His D was dominant in the playoffs and he's always been a top rebounder at his position.
grantlongforpresident
Assistant Coach
And1: 124

Post#77 » by grantlongforpresident » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:19 am

Tier 1: Kobe, Lebron, KG, Duncan
Tier 2: Nash, Howard, CP3, Amare, Pierce, Wade
Tier 3: Brand, Iverson, Boozer, McGrady, Yao, Dirk, Deron, Carmello, Rip, C.Butler, Arenas, B.Davis, Kidd, V.Carter, Manu, Tony Parker, Bosh etc

The disrespect to Nash is bizzare. 2x MVP. Imagine the Suns without him? If Sarver wasn't a cheap **** (selling picks left and right) Suns would have a couple championships IMO. Also Dwight Howard is awesome, anyone leaving him off their top 10 list isn't watching.

Anthony, McGrady, Wince, Yao are too mentally soft to be top 10. Dirk is a candidate though, but i'm not sure over who.

Return to Boston Celtics