ImageImageImage

Day 2: Doc Impressed by Patrick O'Bryant

Moderators: bisme37, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman, canman1971, Darthlukey

return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,713

Day 2: Doc Impressed by Patrick O'Bryant 

Post#1 » by return2glory » Wed Oct 1, 2008 7:18 pm

This is what Doc had to say about POB after the second day of practice:
"Patrick had a hell of a practice. He was great today," Rivers said, noting that if he figures out how to play alongside Kevin Garnett, "things could be pretty good for him."

This is a good sign. I'm going to be pulling for POB. I feel he has a chance to be a real steal for us and I was very suprised that G.S. gave up on him so early.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/blog/po ... 08-09.html
return2glory
RealGM
And1: 9,713

Re: Day 2: Doc Impressed by Patrick O'Bryant 

Post#2 » by return2glory » Wed Oct 1, 2008 7:30 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WflY-rtJ ... re=related

" I thought I was watching Connie Hawkins."
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#3 » by BillessuR6 » Wed Oct 1, 2008 9:15 pm

Tony Allen was supposedly the MVP today...There are a few video interviews on celtics.com about day 2...
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#4 » by cloverleaf » Wed Oct 1, 2008 9:49 pm

Doc, KG and Paul all have good things to say about O'Bryant. According to Pierce he's been good both days so far.
Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Rocky5000 » Wed Oct 1, 2008 9:59 pm

That's a big relief that O'Bryant is looking like he can contribute. Yeah, in the interviews both Doc and Paul called Tony the MVP of practice. He was drawing a lot of fouls, but maybe having a little bit of trouble finishing. Doc also said that it was a competition for the point guard spots, between House, Cassell, and Pruitt. He said that Pruitt had trouble running the team in practice, but that was something that he's going to learn eventually, because he's so young. Seems like Doc likes Pruitt, but he doesn't have much a chance of sticking on a veteran squad. Giddens had some trouble in practice today and fouled Ray on a 3 point attempt towards the end of the session, but should get better as he learns the offense and his role. It seems like Bill Walker might be outplaying him so far.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#6 » by humblebum » Thu Oct 2, 2008 1:51 am

Tony is going to more than replace Posey this season IMO. The time is truly ripe for him. He may not have Posey's calm cool assassin gig down but he's raw energy and defenses are going to have a difficult time containing him. He won't hit the three ball like Posey but he'll stay at the free throw line, which IMO is much, much more important especially considering that it allows the Celtic defense to set up more frequently. This will lead to suffocating half-court defense, another area where Tony can make a positive impact. I envision lots of fast break action for TA this year finished with thunderous dunks that fire up the crowd, his teammates all while demoralizing the opponent.
GregB
RealGM
And1: 2,980

Post#7 » by GregB » Thu Oct 2, 2008 2:32 am

humblebum wrote:Tony is going to more than replace Posey this season IMO. The time is truly ripe for him. He may not have Posey's calm cool assassin gig down but he's raw energy and defenses are going to have a difficult time containing him. He won't hit the three ball like Posey but he'll stay at the free throw line, which IMO is much, much more important especially considering that it allows the Celtic defense to set up more frequently. This will lead to suffocating half-court defense, another area where Tony can make a positive impact. I envision lots of fast break action for TA this year finished with thunderous dunks that fire up the crowd, his teammates all while demoralizing the opponent.

I agree completely. Posey was a great team defender. But Tony Allen is a much better individual defender. I hope he has a big year off the bench. Plus, He seemed to find his range right before his last knee injury. If he can find it again, He could have a really big year.
humblebum
Banned User

Post#8 » by humblebum » Thu Oct 2, 2008 12:40 pm

In regards to O'Bryant it's encouraging to hear that he is performing well. It would have been interesting to hear in which phase of the game that he stood out but it's clear that defense is the order of the day for any Celtics center, offensive production is most likely looked at as gravvy. Doc and Tibs are going to reward players who are able to consistently make the correct defensive rotations, defend their position decently, and really display superior effort. If O'Bryant can do those things while doing a good job on the boards he could be a real player. The concern with an OB-KG frontcourt is that neither of these guys could necessarily be considered a banger down low, but their length together is tremendous. For this team to have three effective 6'10" plus guys on the team would be enormous. Add in all the different looks that Powe, Davis, Miles, Scals give you and you have a very, very solid frontcourt.
LongTimeFan
Analyst
And1: 292

Post#9 » by LongTimeFan » Thu Oct 2, 2008 2:33 pm

This is pre-season and the encouragement is fantastic. It is encouragement. Like telling your kids their doing a good job cutting the lawn.

On the other hand TA was a great defender last year, I expect him to be pretty much back to pre-injury levels. Maybe not the big dunks but certainly far and away the best perimeter defender on the team If you recall, when Pierce went down, Tony could take over the game on the defensive end.

I can't believe it but I can't wait to the first preseason game. I'm beginning to think Pruitt may very well be the odd man out.
humblebum
Banned User

Post#10 » by humblebum » Thu Oct 2, 2008 2:47 pm

It makes perfect sense that Pruitt is the likely odd man out. The Celtics have Rondo as a star in the making at PG who they're spending development time on. The brought back two veterans to back him up. Pruitt would really have to outdue both of the veterans in order to be kept on board. From the way Doc is talking about Pruitt and from what I've seen it seems that he's still struggling to actually be a Point Guard who can lead an offense. The Celtics are not going to invest developmental time on Pruitt when Rondo is the head and shoulders better prospect at PG. So Pruitt better really step his game up or he's on the way out.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#11 » by Rocky5000 » Thu Oct 2, 2008 4:00 pm

If O'Bryant is getting props it is probably for his defense and ability to block shots. But who is he guarding? Big Baby? If so, it's not so impressive, because BBD was probably the most often blocked player on the team last year. I'd like to see how he does matched up against Perk and KG.
Dave_From_NB
Starter
And1: 1,535

Post#12 » by Dave_From_NB » Thu Oct 2, 2008 4:45 pm

Rocky5000 wrote:If O'Bryant is getting props it is probably for his defense and ability to block shots. But who is he guarding? Big Baby? If so, it's not so impressive, because BBD was probably the most often blocked player on the team last year. I'd like to see how he does matched up against Perk and KG.

Although it may not be impressive, it is significant. Davis isn't playing with the starters, POB is. POB is being talked about positively, nobody is talking about Davis. At all. 2'nd day of camp, and it pretty much looks like POB is destined to start as backup to Perk.
LongTimeFan
Analyst

Post#13 » by LongTimeFan » Thu Oct 2, 2008 5:13 pm

I heard Davis' weight was still up. I remember at this time in Perk's career, we heard about 'ripped'. Maybe it is Davis on the short list.
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#14 » by Rocky5000 » Thu Oct 2, 2008 5:27 pm

Dave_From_NB wrote:
Rocky5000 wrote:If O'Bryant is getting props it is probably for his defense and ability to block shots. But who is he guarding? Big Baby? If so, it's not so impressive, because BBD was probably the most often blocked player on the team last year. I'd like to see how he does matched up against Perk and KG.

Although it may not be impressive, it is significant. Davis isn't playing with the starters, POB is. POB is being talked about positively, nobody is talking about Davis. At all. 2'nd day of camp, and it pretty much looks like POB is destined to start as backup to Perk.

Yeah, I agree POB is almost certainly a better backup C, but Big Baby is pretty much a shot blocker's dream so he makes O'Bryant look better than he would matched up against someone like Perk or KG. I don't think Doc even considered BBD for backup C this year, as POB started with the first team from day 1.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#15 » by cloverleaf » Thu Oct 2, 2008 5:40 pm

Watch the interview with Clifford Ray on perkisabeast.com and Big Baby isn't even on his radar. The three big guys he's focused on are Perk, Powe and O'Bryant.

I'm sure it's killing Perk not to be out there, but it's probably better for O'Bryant to get comfortable with the system and the practices before he has to face him anyway.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,466

Post#16 » by Gant » Thu Oct 2, 2008 6:20 pm

cloverleaf wrote:Watch the interview with Clifford Ray on perkisabeast.com and Big Baby isn't even on his radar. The three big guys he's focused on are Perk, Powe and O'Bryant.

Either that or more likely Clifford Ray didn't mention Davis because he was asked specifically about the other guys and not Big Baby, and only answered the questions put to him.
cloverleaf
General Manager

Post#17 » by cloverleaf » Thu Oct 2, 2008 6:23 pm

No, really--take a look.
armageddon
Rookie

Post#18 » by armageddon » Thu Oct 2, 2008 8:05 pm

Davis' problem is his contract. He basically messed up when he insisted on the 2-year deal. He was greedy and wanted to get to free agency as fast as possible. He is now a lame duck player. If he cannot definately contribute right now (and that means passing Powe and Miles on the depth chart), the team will not waste any developmental time on him, that will go to POB and others.

It looks like Miles will make the team, so we know that there will be a trade to shorten the roster. A package of Davis, Pruitt, Scal will fetch something. Is the FO now intent on keeping TA this season or are they just trying to drive up his trade value?
LongTimeFan
Analyst

Post#19 » by LongTimeFan » Thu Oct 2, 2008 8:33 pm

I think Tony Allen is a keeper if things work out. He takes over and dominates a game in a way that does not compete with the big three. He and Rondo could basically completely dominate the opponents backcourt.

So I think the hope is he comes back and he is another completely different weapon. I've posted this before, when Pierce went down, Allen dominated on defense. It would be very nice to have that back.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,529

Post#20 » by canman1971 » Thu Oct 2, 2008 10:56 pm

Goes to show you what a moron Dickerson is. He just said on Sports Tonight that the final cut will come down to POB or Pruitt!!! Doesn't this idiot do his homework or just pay friggin attention and know that POB signed a 2 year deal? I don't care if he is a fan; he is a tool.

Return to Boston Celtics