ImageImageImage

Day 3: Walker Impressing

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

DJToLarry
Pro Prospect
And1: 38

Re: Day 3: Walker Impressing 

Post#16 » by DJToLarry » Fri Oct 3, 2008 3:12 pm

After the Kedrick Brown/Gerald Green experiences, I don't want to put to much expectations on him. But he has shown me a lot. Doing his own contract, coming right up to Boston after the draft and working out like a mad man, not backing down in practices, jawing with KG. Just strikes me as someone who says: "This is my chance, and I'm doing whatever it takes to make sure I make the most of it." Kedrick and Gerald never once made me feel that way. In a way he reminds me of Kendrick Perkins. He was mature when he came to the Cs. Lost the weight, great attitude, competes, doesn't back down from no one, very mature from day one.
cloverleaf
General Manager
And1: 6,377

Post#17 » by cloverleaf » Fri Oct 3, 2008 4:06 pm

I think you're right about all of Walker's positive actions, and if you listened to his interviews from when he first came to town he sounds surprisingly bright, articulate, substantial and mature. He's three years younger than Giddens (who's also a year older than O'Bryant and Pruitt), but I bet it's Giddens and Pruitt who start the year in the developmental league instead.
LenBiasBaller
Senior
And1: 2

Post#18 » by LenBiasBaller » Fri Oct 3, 2008 4:33 pm

DJToLarry wrote:After the Kedrick Brown/Gerald Green experiences, I don't want to put to much expectations on him. But he has shown me a lot. Doing his own contract, coming right up to Boston after the draft and working out like a mad man, not backing down in practices, jawing with KG. Just strikes me as someone who says: "This is my chance, and I'm doing whatever it takes to make sure I make the most of it." Kedrick and Gerald never once made me feel that way. In a way he reminds me of Kendrick Perkins. He was mature when he came to the Cs. Lost the weight, great attitude, competes, doesn't back down from no one, very mature from day one.

Spot on...the kid did his own contract and was like "it's no big deal, I just asked a lot of questions and read everything"....He strikes me as a guy who is naturally motivated to do whatever is in his path which is a great trait.

If Bill does pan out then he helps improve one of our biggest weaknesses from last year which is athleticism. LoL...you ever watch his youtube clips the dude does windmills on 95% percent of his dunks...I like everything i've heard about him so i'm amped up about Walker.

We will see if DA adds another GEM to his collection of 2nd rounders...the odds are against you to even stay around in the league.
LenBiasBaller
Senior
And1: 2

Post#19 » by LenBiasBaller » Fri Oct 3, 2008 4:38 pm

DJToLarry wrote:After the Kedrick Brown/Gerald Green experiences, I don't want to put to much expectations on him. But he has shown me a lot. Doing his own contract, coming right up to Boston after the draft and working out like a mad man, not backing down in practices, jawing with KG. Just strikes me as someone who says: "This is my chance, and I'm doing whatever it takes to make sure I make the most of it." Kedrick and Gerald never once made me feel that way. In a way he reminds me of Kendrick Perkins. He was mature when he came to the Cs. Lost the weight, great attitude, competes, doesn't back down from no one, very mature from day one.

Spot on...the kid did his own contract and was like "it's no big deal, I just asked a lot of questions and read everything"....He strikes me as a guy who is naturally motivated to do whatever is in his path which is a great trait.

If Bill does pan out then he helps improve one of our biggest weaknesses from last year which is athleticism. LoL...you ever watch his youtube clips the dude does windmills on 95% percent of his dunks...I like everything i've heard about him so i'm amped up about Walker.

We will see if DA adds another GEM to his collection of 2nd rounders...the odds are against you to even stay around in the league.
Havlicek17
Pro Prospect
And1: 171

Post#20 » by Havlicek17 » Fri Oct 3, 2008 5:14 pm

A lot of "experts" before the draft last year had Walker listed as a lottery pick. But he got hurt in pre-draft workouts and now whoever selected him would have to give him his 3rd knee surgery, and hope he could fully recover and stay healthy. That dropped his stock quite a bit, but I think most experts prior to the draft still had him going late 1st round.

I remember Danny talking about Walker and JR after the draft and he said he drafted JR first because he was a very good defensive player in addition to his offensive in college. Remember, Doc is only going to play rookies if they can play defense. Danny is trying to find rookies that can contribute on a team focused on veterans and defense.

But just like he did with Rondo, Danny just couldn't pass on Walker. We gave cash for the pick, so the downside is minimal but the upside is a lottery pick player if he stays healthy. He's a rare talent. I read a lot about the kid when he was in high school with Mayo, and remember reading how people would come out to see these guys play in AAU and HS all star events around the country, and a lot of them walked away more impressed with Walker than Mayo. He played with Beasley in College for one year coming off knee surgery when he got hurt the previous year (think Tony Allen trying to play last year) and was almost as good as Beasley. The kid can really ball...

Since joining the Celtics he's been able to show enough skills to convince coaches and mgt that they need to sign him instead of sending him to Europe, did his own contract (gotta love that!) and has been one of the most impressive in camp. Let's hope he stays healthy, cause we stole him if he does.
UGA Hayes
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 16,058

Post#21 » by UGA Hayes » Fri Oct 3, 2008 6:18 pm

Its interesting to compare the impression one initially got when reading about the high school version of Mayo and Walker and then listening to them once they actually turned pro. Both are way wasy more mature than I would have ever thought.
Man_Up
Senior
And1: 1

Post#22 » by Man_Up » Sat Oct 4, 2008 12:33 pm

All the stuff i'm hearing about Walker is really impressing me. I thought that Giddens would be the one that came in ready to contribute while Walker would be more about his potential than immediate contribution. Giddens is the older player and I thought he had the more complete game, but he has faded into the background while where hearing all this stuff great stuff about Walker.

I'm still expecting Gidden's to show some promise soon, but I now see Walker as the more NBA ready rookie. He'll probably be something like a bigger TA minus the turnover's and mental lapses.
Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
ParticleMan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,694

Post#23 » by ParticleMan » Sat Oct 4, 2008 5:31 pm

It's early. I still think Giddens will get more burn this season than Walker. If they both contribute, that'd be great.
meatball sub
RealGM
And1: 8,798

Post#24 » by meatball sub » Sat Oct 4, 2008 6:00 pm

Love Walker getting into it with KG and not backing down, that's how you earn respect.
GreenGrizz
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#25 » by GreenGrizz » Sat Oct 4, 2008 7:49 pm

I sometimes wonder why we drafted Giddens instead of Walker We could have drafted Walker in the first round and make a spot for PJ Brown. Let's hope that Giddens can provide and fill that sg need. All of sudden, we are looking at TAllen.

Return to Boston Celtics