ImageImageImage

Ch. 5 reports Steph on his way!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Larry Joe Bird
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: Ch. 5 reports Steph on his way! 

Post#41 » by Larry Joe Bird » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:12 am

I just hope Marbury has been working out and practicing and is in very good shape. He could be rusty after being away from competitive basketball for the entire season. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it takes a little longer to come back and compete as a point guard compared to a center or power forward who relies only on sheer power....
Avalanche
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,498

Post#42 » by Avalanche » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:13 am

his timing will probably be out for a few games, but im sure he is in shape
Joekickass2008
Junior

Post#43 » by Joekickass2008 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:14 am

Im stoked by this. But curious as to when he will get his head tatt updated....he could turn it into 30...in homage to his cousin....
All time favourite Celtics: Bill, Dave C, LARRY, Kevin, X, Reggie, Alla, Toine and Paul.
TA42
Sixth Man
And1: 772

Post#44 » by TA42 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:18 am

Avalanche wrote:you know we have a few mil of the MLE left, it might be worth using 2mil for this and next season as a team option if we could...

then if he performs we can keep him again on the cheap

While it would seem like a good deal for the C's I doubt Marbury would go for it.

If he's able to compete and help the team win a championship he would be able to get a better deal next year as a free agent.
Harison
Starter

Post#45 » by Harison » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:21 am

TA42 wrote:
Avalanche wrote:you know we have a few mil of the MLE left, it might be worth using 2mil for this and next season as a team option if we could...

While it would seem like a good deal for the C's I doubt Marbury would go for it.

If he's able to compete and help the team win a championship he would be able to get a better deal next year as a free agent.

Indeed, if Marbury plays well he will probably secure ~15mln. per year contract.
Who would win one-on-one in HORSE?

Bird: Nobody beats me in H-O-R-S-E. Besides, Magic cant shoot.

Magic: Larry, you'd have no chance against me one-on-one. I've got too many ways to beat you. Plus, as slow as I am, I'm still faster than you.

:lol:
LJ4pointplay
Knicks Forum GM King
And1: 1,324

Post#46 » by LJ4pointplay » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:23 am

Supposedly Marbury has been staying in shape, and the guy doesn't care about money he has more then he needs and gives plenty of it away.. if it's a good fit, I'm sure he will resign.
Avalanche
Lead Assistant

Post#47 » by Avalanche » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:23 am

TA42 wrote:

probably, and i doubt ainge would do it anyway but it was just a thought that if we could hang onto him for an extra year on the cheap

otherwise he'll go elsewhere with us looking to other players with out MLE
Frank Lucas
Pro Prospect
And1: 37

Post#48 » by Frank Lucas » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:24 am

why am I getting the feeling the Celtics are about to sign the Manny Ramirez of the NBA in Marbury. We will have some Starbury being Starbury moments. I just hope Marbury comes to Boston as motivated as Manny was when he went to LA. There nothing like getting a talented player who is pissed off and motivated no matter how off his thinking maybe.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#49 » by Banks2Pierce » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:34 am

Here's the thing. If he comes even close to being a problem, the C's will cut him so fast.

Now maybe all the CBlog folk will ease up on the Ainge terrible offseason garbage. You gotta judge the final product.
Joekickass2008
Junior

Post#50 » by Joekickass2008 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:41 am

If he does sign....does this mean the end of Puitt? He wont get any PT if Marbury is active in the rotation and he will most likely be innactive (when Scal gets back). No place for Pruitt exhists. Am I wrong.
All time favourite Celtics: Bill, Dave C, LARRY, Kevin, X, Reggie, Alla, Toine and Paul.
ryaningf
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,738

Post#51 » by ryaningf » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:43 am

Banks2Pierce wrote:Here's the thing. If he comes even close to being a problem, the C's will cut him so fast.

Now maybe all the CBlog folk will ease up on the Ainge terrible offseason garbage. You gotta judge the final product.

Yep, this was all part of the plan...go cheap in the offseason, let the young and cheap battle it out, sell off the loser (POB and Sam in this case), and have your pick of the waiver wire. Beautifully done once again, Danny. We got BETTER and CHEAPER players by virtue of patience and foresight.
The leaks are real...the news is fake.

I'm just here for the memes.
Avalanche
Lead Assistant

Post#52 » by Avalanche » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:47 am

Joekickass2008 wrote:If he does sign....does this mean the end of Puitt? He wont get any PT if Marbury is active in the rotation and he will most likely be innactive (when Scal gets back). No place for Pruitt exhists. Am I wrong.

id assume Giddens, Pruitt and Walker would all be inactive if the teams healthy

Powe, Baby, Scal, Moore, TA, House, Marbury will be the active bench come playoff time

id like to see Walker kept active while TA is out, but they will likely keep Gabe around
Prophet_C
Starter
And1: 99

Post#53 » by Prophet_C » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:47 am

Good news!
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#54 » by Banks2Pierce » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:53 am

ryaningf wrote:
Banks2Pierce wrote:Here's the thing. If he comes even close to being a problem, the C's will cut him so fast.

Yep, this was all part of the plan...go cheap in the offseason, let the young and cheap battle it out, sell off the loser (POB and Sam in this case), and have your pick of the waiver wire. Beautifully done once again, Danny. We got BETTER and CHEAPER players by virtue of patience and foresight.

That is definitely the Danny Ainge way. The best way to develop players is competition for minutes within the squad. I'll bet Pruitt/Baby/Powe are all better players because of the competition of each other and Sam and POB.

I mean, I'd rather have Mikki (a good soldier) than the Birdman, who might not have fit in. Also, if Starbury doesn't work out in the team chem, we can just sign Sam.
s1ickd
Veteran
And1: 247

Post#55 » by s1ickd » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:57 am

Marbury was never given a chance in NY. The day he arrived, Isiah Thomas was his coach, and his best team mates were Jamal Crawford and Eddie Curry. 'Nuff Said.

He did tur nout to be a jackass himself for a bit, but honestly, I probably would have been to in that situation.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#56 » by campybatman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:59 am

Marbury's probably in physical shape but not in NBA shape. And it'll take some time for him to become acclimated with new teammates and with understanding Thibodeau's defense. I expect the transition to playing defense to be a rough one for Marbury. He could look lost early on. Likely won't figure out the plays until April.

I guess I won't really be able to digest Marbury as a member of this team until the playoffs begin. Because the playoffs will expose you as a player if you aren't ready and well prepared.

It just feels ironic that Telfair didn't succeed here but now his cousin is possibly joining Boston with fans (again) having certain expectations of him.

Timberwolves guard Sebastian Telfair believes his cousin, suspended Knicks guard Stephon Marbury, would be a good fit in Boston.

The ex-Celtic, however, said Marbury has not asked him about the Celtics' organization or what it would be like to live in Boston. Marbury has said he would be interested in Boston, Miami, or Dallas if he is able to reach a buyout of the $21 million on his contract.

"This could be a real good place for him," Telfair said. "Maybe he can help them out. I also would like to see him have an opportunity to win a championship. He hasn't asked me any questions about being here. But I'm sure he'd like to be here."

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... ying_wolf/
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#57 » by mr_sunshine » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:16 am

Clincher wrote:Helluva move by you guys and I am a Knick fan. Dude is so motivated right now and will want to take it out on everyone for being banished even though he did everything he was told to do prior to the season. DAntoni just had a personal vendetta against him from day 1 and no matter how hard Step tried he wouldent get out of the hold.

Dude will be beastin, thank god NYK only sees Boston I think 1 more time this year......Unless we get the 8th seed. I cant say I will root for Boston but I hope Step does well. He's a good dude and had been classy this year with the handling of a poor situation.

He isnt as much of a ballhog as he is perceived, he just had to take a lot of the shots in past years with us because our team had no legit scorers(Even then not so much) and often or not he had to pass downlow to Curry or see Crawford brick a shot.

Thanks for the kind words brother. I agree with your post entirely. I'm sure Steph will come in motivated and ready to prove his worth.

Green 18! :D
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#58 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:29 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JRAKq7A ... re=related

Hopefully he is in uniform by Friday.

Wonder what number?
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#59 » by DEEP3CL » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:33 am

This definitely changes the eastern landscape in my opinion, the Cavs and Magic probably felt they had made up ground on the Celtics in terms of matching talent and level of play. By the time the Celtics add Steph this teams make over in the 96 hours it would take will be remarkable.

Bottom line is this the Celtics gained depth in key spots which was needed.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
mr_sunshine
Assistant Coach
And1: 482

Post#60 » by mr_sunshine » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:37 am

DEEP3CL wrote:This definitely changes the eastern landscape in my opinion, the Cavs and Magic probably felt they had made up ground on the Celtics in terms of matching talent and level of play. By the time the Celtics add Steph this teams make over in the 96 hours it would take will be remarkable.

Bottom line is this the Celtics gained depth in key spots which was needed.

Agreed. Thanks for keeping it classy and not coming in here spewing that BS about him ruining chemistry etc. :)

Return to Boston Celtics