ImageImageImage

Ch. 5 reports Steph on his way!

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Re: Ch. 5 reports Steph on his way! 

Post#81 » by klemen4 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:43 am

I hope we sign him...I dont want to see a last minute surprise him signing elsewhere.

Than if he comes:

1)The most important thing is he fixes our rotation with sliding House to SG and T.Allen to SF.
2)He can create himself, going to the rim, mid range...we had no player in 2 unit to be capable of this
3)He give Ray and Pierce a rest

Now the only thing that worries me is defense on Lebron?
Pierce, T.Allen...that is all we have
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
BillessuR6
General Manager
And1: 2,481

Post#82 » by BillessuR6 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:51 am

klemen4 wrote:Now the only thing that worries me is defense on Lebron?

You forgot Scal! :wink:
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#83 » by Kefa461 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:10 pm

After several months of being embroiled in a soap opera, the Knicks worked out a buyout of Marbury’s $21 million contract today. Two NBA sources said that once the two-time All-Star clears waivers — which is expected to be Friday morning — he will sign with the Celtics for a prorated $1.3 million minimum contract for the rest of the season.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball ... tics_blog/

8-)

ps....According to several NBA sources, Marbury has already committed to signing with the Boston Celtics once he clears waivers after the mandatory 48-hour period. He could be with the Celtics as early as Friday night's game against the Indiana Pacers in Boston. Marbury, who turned 32 last Thursday, will be eligible for a postseason roster because he was waived before the Sunday deadline. "I'm blessed to be able to move on with my career," Marbury told The Boston Globe last night. "I'm excited about the new beginning." Newsday

8-)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
cisco
Veteran
And1: 48

Post#84 » by cisco » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:04 pm

klemen4 wrote:I hope we sign him...I dont want to see a last minute surprise him signing elsewhere.

Than if he comes:

1)The most important thing is he fixes our rotation with sliding House to SG and T.Allen to SF.
2)He can create himself, going to the rim, mid range...we had no player in 2 unit to be capable of this
3)He give Ray and Pierce a rest

Now the only thing that worries me is defense on Lebron?

That's all we had last season too. I know we had Posey, but he did a lousy job on Lebron anyway. Pierce did a much better job on Lebron than Posey did.
Big Baby Burger
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#85 » by Big Baby Burger » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:23 pm

Are we sure this is confirmed? All I see are reports of speculation.
campybatman
Lead Assistant
And1: 185

Post#86 » by campybatman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:23 pm

The Knicks put Marbury on waivers late yesterday, and depending on when that information was recorded at the NBA office, he could clear and become a free agent as early as Thursday. Marbury will then - barring any last-minute glitches - become a Celtic.

According to an executive with another team, “I don’t see how this doesn’t happen, but I guess that’s always a possibility. I just think this is all set - and I think it’s going to work out better than a lot of people expect.”

Director of basketball operations Danny Ainge had no comment on Marbury, noting that Marbury is not free until the waiver process is completed. But Ainge has expressed strong interest in the guard before, and the two sides were able to talk when the Knicks gave Marbury permission to discuss deals with other teams in hope it would motivate him to reach an agreeable buyout figure.

Celtics owner Wyc Grousbeck, meanwhile, said in a statement, “The Celtics are focused on defending our championship and are working day and night to finalize our playoff roster. We don’t have anything to announce at this point except that we intend to do everything we can to raise Banner 18.”

According to published reports, Marbury is giving up more than $2 million of his $20.8 million contract for this season to move on from New York.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/bask ... cks_guard/
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#87 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:38 pm

armageddon wrote:Awesome pickup. Although Marbury hasn't been able to win in his career, he has never been a trouble maker. He treats people respectfully and gives back to charities. He's actually a pretty classy guy but has developed a reputation from being obstinate and stubborn, hopefully this has lessened with maturity.
Give him a month, he'll be destroying the other teams' backups. Also, there's no guarantee that Rondo will never get injured.

This is a guy who banged a Knicks intern in the back of his pickup truck while his cousin watched (I'm sure there are more incidents like this) and claimed to have tons of "****" on Isiah and would "**** him" before he "**** me"...

We talking about the same guy? :o
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
triplet1984
General Manager
And1: 177

Post#88 » by triplet1984 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:52 pm

Make sure you have a healthy supply of hot interns waiting for him!
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#89 » by greenbeans » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:56 pm

Da-Met wrote:Make sure you have a healthy supply of hot interns waiting for him!
It's a college town, Steph will love it here taggin all the young dumb out of town girls.
Gant
General Manager
And1: 11,437

Post#90 » by Gant » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:02 pm

DEEP3CL wrote:
Gant wrote:Here's the difference between Knick Marbury and Celtic Marbury:

The Knicks were stuck with him because of his contract. The Celtics will be paying him vet minimum.

The Knicks were asking him to be the main man. The Celtics are asking him to be the sixth man.

On the Knicks Marbury had to go up against frontline players. On the Celtics he'll be going against second stringers most of the time.

On the Knicks he was the first option. When he plays with the starters, on the Celtics he'll be the fourth option.

He can't hurt the Celtics. If he's not an eagle scout, they just cut him.

Plus he has all the motivation in the world to prove everyone wrong.
Gotta agree with Gant here all the way. Plus here's something else to ponder............Steph lost his dad which was probably a very humbling experience.Guys mature at some point in life, two no matter how you look at how his deal went with the Knicks, they clearly were the bad guy you can't spin it any other way.Steph never complained.

And for the first time in his career he's only being ask to be one of the guys not the " guy ".

Oh man, now you're making me feel positively about a Laker's fan. I'm experiencing some weird internal discord. I hope this doesn't send me over the edge.
klemen4
Head Coach
And1: 1,927

Post#91 » by klemen4 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:05 pm

Some Marbury video highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=536W5SSY ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZZ1Hh3z ... re=related

The most I like his speed and penetration to the basket. The way he protects the ball going to the basket is amazing. Also he is capable of some nice pases. If he is 70% of the player he was in his best days I would be happy.
In first games I want him to penetrate, spread the flor, search for Eddie and Ray with passes. I dont want him to take a lot of jumpers and 3pt shots. He must be rusty, so play smart Steph.
“The only important statistic is the final score.” — Bill Russell
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Post#92 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:10 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:
armageddon wrote:Awesome pickup. Although Marbury hasn't been able to win in his career, he has never been a trouble maker. He treats people respectfully and gives back to charities. He's actually a pretty classy guy but has developed a reputation from being obstinate and stubborn, hopefully this has lessened with maturity.
Give him a month, he'll be destroying the other teams' backups. Also, there's no guarantee that Rondo will never get injured.

This is a guy who banged a Knicks intern in the back of his pickup truck while his cousin watched (I'm sure there are more incidents like this) and claimed to have tons of "****" on Isiah and would "**** him" before he "**** me"...

We talking about the same guy? :o

Bassy ? :noway:
gpguy25
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#93 » by gpguy25 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:14 pm

I've always hated Marbury, but I feel like he will absolutely help this team when another one this year. I don't want him long term, but he probably just wants to get out there compete that he will just flourish with out guys. Also I bet he would love to spite the Knicks by playing well.
Green 17.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#94 » by sam_I_am » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:20 pm

I think Marbury gets to be a 2 guard here. When Rondo is in they can move Marbury to the 2 to rest Allen or Pierce or even move Pierce to the 4. This allows Stephon to be a scorer. If having the big 3 next to him has made Rondo an offensive force.... what would it do to a guy with franchise talent?

As the back up PG playing with Powe and Davis (or Moore) he actually needs to be a scorer. I see this as a perfect situation for Marbury.

The ball is definitely in his court and he has a great opportunity to shine. Can he? Is the real story behind Marbury in NY that he is washed up? Time will tell.... but even if that is true he can probably really help out a lot like Payton in Miami.
sam_I_am
RealGM
And1: 8,992

Post#95 » by sam_I_am » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:21 pm

sam_I_am wrote:I think Marbury gets to be a 2 guard here. When Rondo is in they can move Marbury to the 2 to rest Allen or Pierce or even move Pierce to the 4. This allows Stephon to be a scorer. If having the big 3 next to him has made Rondo an offensive force.... what would it do to a guy with franchise talent?

As the back up PG playing with Powe and Davis (or Moore) he actually needs to be a scorer. I see this as a perfect situation for Marbury. His biggest challenge is going to be developing chemistry with House at the 2. He needs to feed House when he is open.

The ball is definitely in his court and he has a great opportunity to shine. Can he? Is the real story behind Marbury in NY that he is washed up? Time will tell.... but even if that is true he can probably really help out a lot like Payton in Miami.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#96 » by humblebum » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:34 pm

A fewof important notes. Marbury is going to be really tough on guys like Gibson-Williams-West, Alston, Bibby, Fisher-Farmar... that's good news.

Second, Rondo will make Marbury better, IMO. Marbury can play alongside Rondo.

Third, when Marbury replaces Rondo at PG he can keep the tempo of the game up. All too often, House will come in and destroy the tempo that Rondo established. This breaks up continuity and offensive rhythm. With Marbury the team can play uptempo... and I love the idea of a Marbury, Rondo, Paul, Powe (or Scals), Garnett uptempo unit.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#97 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:35 pm

Marc Spears on First Take said Marbury could be in uniform for Fridays game against the pacers!
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#98 » by greenbeans » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:38 pm

^oooohh boy that building will be hoppin!
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#99 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:40 pm

greenbeans wrote:^oooohh boy that building will be hoppin!

I'm going. I am pumped, I hope he plays.
greenbeans
RealGM

Post#100 » by greenbeans » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:47 pm

Celtics_Champs wrote:
greenbeans wrote:^oooohh boy that building will be hoppin!

I'm going. I am pumped, I hope he plays.
I'm jealous. I might just have to look into it

Return to Boston Celtics