ImageImageImage

N.Y. asks Why do you think Marbury will work out for Boston

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Re: N.Y. asks Why do you think Marbury will work out for Boston 

Post#21 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:50 pm

Golabki wrote:Marbury got a bad rap is NY.

Sure he went to NY and things didn't work out... but NY is also the worst run franchise in sports currently

Although I will qualify that it's certainly the worst in such a huge market...
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
R33D33
General Manager
And1: 15
Location: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

Post#22 » by R33D33 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:13 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:How hard will we all laugh if LeBron doesn't go to NY? It'll set them back another 40 years!

I'm sure you realize other FA do exist outside of Lebron in 2010. I for one think Lebron and Wade stay put and the Knicks get Bosh or Amare.
R33D33 wrote:Can we agree on this, get rid of all benefits corporations get from governments?
Bulltalk wrote:Not really.
‎"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." – H.L. Mencken
Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#23 » by Rocky5000 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:14 pm

bove310 wrote:One word: Ubuntu

If you don't think Marbury is going to buy into Ubuntu, then you're crazier than he is.

Exactly, watching Marbury interviews you can see that his mind is like a ball of clay and he can be easily molded into a team player. I think many of Marbury's problems come from trusting and listening to the wrong people, but his teammates and coaches will be telling him to do the right things now, and being removed from NY will remove him from some of the negative influences in his life and all of the attention. If Isaiah Thomas had him convinced that Zach Randolph was going to save the franchise, he can be convinced of anything.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Re: N.Y. asks Why do you Marbury will work out for Boston 

Post#24 » by EasternMagic » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:19 pm

CeltsfanSinceBirth wrote:Why would a Knick fan care so much about the well-being of the Celtics? If Marbury was terrible, wouldn't you want this guy to come in and ruin our franchise from within, similar to a Trojan horse? Why do you care for the Celtics all of a sudden?

Cause he wants the celtics to self destruct just like the rest of the eastern conference, and is hoping Marbury is a ticking time bomb sent into bean town co-op style.
Hey I'm just saying...
dingodile
Sixth Man
And1: 8
Location: Second Innermost Circle of Hell...a.k.a. Laker Country

Post#25 » by dingodile » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:31 pm

People need to understand that this signing is a low-risk high-reward scenario. If he works out then we have a greatly improved chance of winning another title. There's also plenty of games left before the playoffs begin so if he acts like a jerk, we can simply cut him and move forward with the team we have.

Regardless, we have to be honest with ourselves here and recognize that winning the title again this year looks to be more difficult that winning last year with the Lakers and Cleveland looking very good. So, I think a move like this had to be made even though I'm not sure if I like it yet.
"I can tell you my testicles are the same size," he added later. "They haven't shrunk. They're the same and work just the same as they always have." - Barry Bonds disputing allegations of steroid use.
Scalamental
Sixth Man
And1: 146

Post#26 » by Scalamental » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:48 pm

I have to say, I have zero confidence in him myself. I don't have a problem with him joining the team because I know he's on a short leash.
sweet daddy
Analyst
And1: 47

Post#27 » by sweet daddy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:56 pm

What's the big deal? He costs Boston less than a half million for the rest of the season, comes in and works himself back into shape, and is available off the bench if they need him. Practically no risk to the Celts at all. There's not even enough time left in the season for him to become a problem if he wanted to.
'daddy knows best'
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#28 » by EasternMagic » Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:57 pm

To me it seems like the Dallas/Pac Man ordeal... accept, like dingodile said, Boston isn't going to be screwed over if Steph effs up. They just cut him. IDK if Steph will adjust his attitude or not but it really is a low-risk high-reward scenario
AlCelticFan
General Manager
And1: 6,473

Post#29 » by AlCelticFan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:18 pm

TO OP:

Cus he's a backup.
AlCelticFan
General Manager
And1: 6,473

Post#30 » by AlCelticFan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:28 pm

Eddie House playing his natural SG position with Marbury at the PG is going to be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much better.
Hemingway
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#31 » by Hemingway » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:33 pm

Here is why Marbs will work in Boston:

1. He will come in at least with a good attitude. I am convinced Ainge would not sign him if he did not come in with a good attitude.

2. He is playing for his rep. He needs to prove NY wrong. For once his egotism is a good thing because right now, for his ego he needs to be a contributing member of a championship team.

3. He is playing for his next contract.

4. Boston, by ALL accounts, has a great team concept and healthy locker room. Everyone knows their role and Marbs joining the team isn't really stepping on anyone's toes.

5. We have a clearly defined starting PG. I could see problems if we had a lesser PG and wanted Marbs to come off the bench. I think he can accept backing up Rondo as Rondo right now is arguably on level with Marbs at him prime and Rondo is only improving.

Flame away.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#32 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:34 pm

R33D33 wrote:
MyInsatiableOne wrote:How hard will we all laugh if LeBron doesn't go to NY? It'll set them back another 40 years!

I'm sure you realize other FA do exist outside of Lebron in 2010. I for one think Lebron and Wade stay put and the Knicks get Bosh or Amare.

Of course...but it seems like the fans and media in NY have their hearts set on LeBron...will they turn on the Knicks and the players if they only get Amare or Bosh? Neither of those guys can carry a team, why should it make a difference if they're on NY?
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Hemingway
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#33 » by Hemingway » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:38 pm

6. Marbs is going to come in pumped up and able to play against other teams second unit and be the number one option on our 2nd unit. This is the perfect role for him. He can play big minutes, score a lot and win a lot.

7. Ainge pretty much only makes good moves. I know I am in the minority here buy I have agrre with Ainge lock step ever sense he got here. The guy knows what he is doing and is only motivated by winning. He is a winner and makes great decisions. To anyone doubting Starbury, can you really doubt the Danny Ainge seal of approval?
WadeKnicks2010
Lead Assistant
And1: 2

Post#34 » by WadeKnicks2010 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:40 pm

Knicks fan here. Keep in mind that Marbury is the best one on one basketball player I have ever seen with my two eyes. He really is unguardable, he's stronger, faster, has great handles, a killer jumper, and a killer instinct. Plays decent defense too when he tries. If he's signing with the celtics he'd be doing so to win a ring. Which means he'd be willing to let them do what they do while he scores some points when they need him to.. Isiah just wanted him to be a pure playmaker/distributor here, that's simply not his game. Especially considering we didn't have players to complement him. I think he's gonna do good in Boston. Best of luck to you guys.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#35 » by humblebum » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:47 pm

Thanks for the well thought out response. As Doc proved last season with Sam, he's willing to give the new guy a lot of lee-way. Marbury will have the chance to be a go-to player when he's in the game. Plus I see him creating good opportunities for the other Celtics players. Not too many teams can boast of a playmaker of Marbury's calibre off the bench. Manu, Odom (with Bynum healthy)... I don't know if there is another player on this level in terms of offensive playmaking.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,168

Post#36 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:10 pm

It's simple, Marbury is a talented player thus the Celtics have interest. The Celtics are paying him about 300k if he causes trouble they cut him. Pretty Simple.

Marbury needs to be a good soldier if he wants to play for someone next season. He will be on his best behavior.
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#37 » by GuyClinch » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:12 pm

Marbury hasn't proven himself to be a cancer, IMHO. Marbury so far has been just a normal guy. Most people aren't of exceptional character and cannot be the beacon of light in a den of depravity and dysfunction.

Randy Moss couldn't by his lonesome lift up the Raiders. Instead he sunk down with the organization until he was just on the same low level that is the Raiders. Likewise we won't see what kind of person Marbury really is until he plays for the Cs. My bet is that the stellar high class organization that is the C's will rub off on him and he will be uplifted.

It doesn't always work this way but for most normal people it does.. Also no offense but you guys put a bit too much pressure on one dude. Who else did Marbury really have to play with? Each time I saw Marbury play with the Knicks he was the best player on their team..

Pete
GreenDreamer
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#38 » by GreenDreamer » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:16 pm

I actually think that Garnett would kill Marbury if he acted up. I don't mean "say something nasty to him", I mean "Crack his head open and let the bad spirits out". The Celts have a good thing going, and they aren't going to let ANYONE mess with that. If marbury comes here, he'll be VERY aware of that.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,349

Post#39 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:24 pm

WadeKnicks2010 wrote:Knicks fan here. Keep in mind that Marbury is the best one on one basketball player I have ever seen with my two eyes. He really is unguardable, he's stronger, faster, has great handles, a killer jumper, and a killer instinct. Plays decent defense too when he tries. If he's signing with the celtics he'd be doing so to win a ring. Which means he'd be willing to let them do what they do while he scores some points when they need him to.. Isiah just wanted him to be a pure playmaker/distributor here, that's simply not his game. Especially considering we didn't have players to complement him. I think he's gonna do good in Boston. Best of luck to you guys.

I agree with this post, though, I don't know if Marbs is still "one of the best", but he's still very good.

and the funny thing is, Marbury on the Celtics makes me care about your team, because, I like Marbury. I don't like everythign he did, but I like him, so for the first time in a long time, I'll watch the celtics without hating them.

Marbs has done some crazy interviews, and said some silly things, like "I'm the best PG" and a number of others, but he's donated millions to charity and he obviously cares. I like at him as a 17 year old kid in an adults body, who think's he's been elected president, but maybe that's unfair of me. That's my impression of him, he think's he's a great person, but what he really is, is an immature person with a good heart, and often that gets misinterpreted, because he thinks more highly of himself than others think of him (does that make sense?)

That's why he wouldn't accept a buyout for so long, he honestly believed, and in a sense he's right, that the knicks should pay him all his money. A more mature player would have said "OK, lets get this done so I can join another team from day one", but Marbs isn't mature, but that doesn't mean he's a monster, it just means he's a bit of a kid.

and, that's why he was never a good #1 option, because #1 options need to be team players, and leaders, and marbs, while he thinks he's ready for that, he's really not.

Marbs is also a SG who thinks he's a PG. You will be very pleased with his shot. Ray and Pierce are obviously your 3 pt shooters, but Marbs shot over 35% from 3, 3 of the last 4 seasons, and that was as the team's #1 option, so he was never left open. As a spot up shooter, Marbs could hit close to 40% from 3.

He'll be very nice when teams adjust to Rondo, like the knicks did when they put Jeffries on Rondo, because Rondo can't shoot from outside, but Marbs can. What Marbs will do, if you give him too many minutes, is stifle your offense by controlling it too much himself, but off the bench, especially if he plays with teh 2nd unit more, that shouldn't be a problem.

As a change of pace guy, and a back up PG/SG, I think Marbs could help your team and play a nice role. I've seen marbury make 8-10 pt runs, all by himself in the span of 3 minutes.

How Marbury addapts to being a bench player on a team where he's probably regarded as the 6th or 7th player on the team (he may be walking in there thinking teh big 3 is now the big 4 by the way), remains to be seen.

Obviously, he can't hurt the celtics because he's cutable.

How much he helps them will be interesting to see. He lost weight this off season and he might be in great shape and not need much time to fit in.

His style is, give me the ball, let me do my thing, so it might be best to mostly use him with the 2nd unit for a while.

anyway - those are my thoughts. I hope Marbury works out for you guys.

I hate the Marbury trade, and the pick (that maybe could have been Deng) and the 2010 pick, and all the salary that came with it. Horrible trade by the KNicks.

But as I've gotten to know him a bit, I like Marbury and I hope he can create a respectible end to his brilliant, but tarnished career. I'll actually be rooting for him. He'll be the first celtic I've actually liked since Larry & Mchale.
I don't remember ever feeling so relieved that a series was over. This one was a bit too tense for me. Great series, but not fun to watch, even though the good guys won.
Red2
RealGM
And1: 4,370

Post#40 » by Red2 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:24 pm

good question and the answer is that no one knows what will happen. He could turn out to be a disaster in which case they'll cut him loose. Of that I have no doubt. Certainly Marbury had lots of motivation to succeed in NY but there' s some here in Boston as well. He has unresolved business with KG including the dream they had as young players to win a championship together. Marbury's ego killed that when he couldn't handle the fact that he was no longer the face of the Timberwolve franchise. One can only hope that he's matured and is no longer that me first player but it's a legitimate concern and I don't think there's anyone on this board that can guarantee that Marbury will be problem free. The celts, like the oakland raiders, have a long history of reclaiming players that had bad reps. Some of them have worked out great like DJ while others haven't but I do think that KG,Ray, Pierce etc aren't going to take any bs off of marbury if he gets out of line so ultimately I think this will work
"Now, there's a steal by Bird..!"

Return to Boston Celtics