ImageImageImage

N.Y. asks Why do you think Marbury will work out for Boston

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

bringinhinkie
General Manager
And1: 930

Re: N.Y. asks Why do you think Marbury will work out for Boston 

Post#41 » by bringinhinkie » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:24 pm

marbury will be the celts starting pg come playoffs
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,348

Post#42 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:29 pm

GreenDreamer wrote:I actually think that Garnett would kill Marbury if he acted up. I don't mean "say something nasty to him", I mean "Crack his head open and let the bad spirits out". The Celts have a good thing going, and they aren't going to let ANYONE mess with that. If marbury comes here, he'll be VERY aware of that.

I think Marbury is very happy to reunite with Garnett, and as I said above, I don't think Marbury is in a position to mess up the celtics, because they can just cut him or bench him and go back to what they had pre-marbury.

so, KG won't need to crack his head open, KG could just get Marbury moved to the end of the bench or sent home.
I don't remember ever feeling so relieved that a series was over. This one was a bit too tense for me. Great series, but not fun to watch, even though the good guys won.
Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,348

Post#43 » by Luv those Knicks » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:30 pm

KnicksMetsJetsNova wrote:marbury will be the celts starting pg come playoffs

No he wont.
I don't remember ever feeling so relieved that a series was over. This one was a bit too tense for me. Great series, but not fun to watch, even though the good guys won.
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant
And1: 0

Post#44 » by billfromBoston » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:41 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
WadeKnicks2010 wrote:Knicks fan here. Keep in mind that Marbury is the best one on one basketball player I have ever seen with my two eyes. He really is unguardable, he's stronger, faster, has great handles, a killer jumper, and a killer instinct. Plays decent defense too when he tries. If he's signing with the celtics he'd be doing so to win a ring. Which means he'd be willing to let them do what they do while he scores some points when they need him to.. Isiah just wanted him to be a pure playmaker/distributor here, that's simply not his game. Especially considering we didn't have players to complement him. I think he's gonna do good in Boston. Best of luck to you guys.

I agree with this post, though, I don't know if Marbs is still "one of the best", but he's still very good.

and the funny thing is, Marbury on the Celtics makes me care about your team, because, I like Marbury. I don't like everythign he did, but I like him, so for the first time in a long time, I'll watch the celtics without hating them.

Marbs has done some crazy interviews, and said some silly things, like "I'm the best PG" and a number of others, but he's donated millions to charity and he obviously cares. I like at him as a 17 year old kid in an adults body, who think's he's been elected president, but maybe that's unfair of me. That's my impression of him, he think's he's a great person, but what he really is, is an immature person with a good heart, and often that gets misinterpreted, because he thinks more highly of himself than others think of him (does that make sense?)

That's why he wouldn't accept a buyout for so long, he honestly believed, and in a sense he's right, that the knicks should pay him all his money. A more mature player would have said "OK, lets get this done so I can join another team from day one", but Marbs isn't mature, but that doesn't mean he's a monster, it just means he's a bit of a kid.

and, that's why he was never a good #1 option, because #1 options need to be team players, and leaders, and marbs, while he thinks he's ready for that, he's really not.

Marbs is also a SG who thinks he's a PG. You will be very pleased with his shot. Ray and Pierce are obviously your 3 pt shooters, but Marbs shot over 35% from 3, 3 of the last 4 seasons, and that was as the team's #1 option, so he was never left open. As a spot up shooter, Marbs could hit close to 40% from 3.

He'll be very nice when teams adjust to Rondo, like the knicks did when they put Jeffries on Rondo, because Rondo can't shoot from outside, but Marbs can. What Marbs will do, if you give him too many minutes, is stifle your offense by controlling it too much himself, but off the bench, especially if he plays with teh 2nd unit more, that shouldn't be a problem.

As a change of pace guy, and a back up PG/SG, I think Marbs could help your team and play a nice role. I've seen marbury make 8-10 pt runs, all by himself in the span of 3 minutes.

How Marbury addapts to being a bench player on a team where he's probably regarded as the 6th or 7th player on the team (he may be walking in there thinking teh big 3 is now the big 4 by the way), remains to be seen.

Obviously, he can't hurt the celtics because he's cutable.

How much he helps them will be interesting to see. He lost weight this off season and he might be in great shape and not need much time to fit in.

His style is, give me the ball, let me do my thing, so it might be best to mostly use him with the 2nd unit for a while.

anyway - those are my thoughts. I hope Marbury works out for you guys.

I hate the Marbury trade, and the pick (that maybe could have been Deng) and the 2010 pick, and all the salary that came with it. Horrible trade by the KNicks.

But as I've gotten to know him a bit, I like Marbury and I hope he can create a respectible end to his brilliant, but tarnished career. I'll actually be rooting for him. He'll be the first celtic I've actually liked since Larry & Mchale.

This is pretty much spot-on IMO...Marbury isn't a bad guy at all - if anything he's shown that he cares about many of the right things in life - he has been giving to his community and society in general. He has shown passion and dedication to success, and he's attempted to take a mantel of responsibility.

What he lacks is abstract reasoning and maturity - he can't empathize with others by seeing things through their eyes and he has a much higher opinion of himself than others - or more appropriate, he lacks the ability to accept and internalize criticism without becoming defensive.

But, as another poster said - He's much more of a normal person than a viscious or evil person. In the mess that has been NYC until Walsh and D'Antoni began their salvation, he was a personality incapable of rising above the chaos.

In a world dominated by Eddie Curry's and Zach Randolph types, he was justified in resisting a change in role....

...Boston is a different beast...

The solidarity and support system as well as the intelligence, selflessness, and leadership of this team should give Marbury every opportunity to not just succeed in the long run, but to LEARN how to correct the mistakes that he'll inevitably make.

I have no doubt that Marbury will take some bad shots or make some bad reads offensively or defensively - but this team has plenty of practice time and 2 months worth of "together" time to COMMUNICATE in a positive manner with Marbury.

GPA/Ainge/Doc want to make this work and I have no doubt that Marbury does as well. They will be constructive and educational in their approach to acclimating him to his role and correcting him when he's off.

Knowing that Marbury desires to make this work - I don't see how he won't try and incorporate what he's told - he may be egocentric, but he also knows this is not a place where he is being asked to be the number one guy, nor is it a place where he can consider himself the number one guy...I'm sure he thinks this could be a "Big 4" scenario, but that doesn't have to be a bad thing - if the "Big 3" show him what they want from him, I believe he'll do his best to fulfill that request.
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 63,168

Post#45 » by Celts17Pride » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:46 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:

No he wont.

+1
Bad-Thoma
Head Coach
And1: 9,097

Post#46 » by Bad-Thoma » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:49 pm

Not a chance in hell.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#47 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:55 pm

Bad-Thoma wrote:

Not a chance in hell.

Agreed...Rondo it is!
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
TB#1
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#48 » by TB#1 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:43 pm

Full Article from Yahoo Sports

Through the refusals to play, to the theatrical storming out of meetings with management, to the delirious diatribes to the New York Post, there’s been one constant truth that’s risen out of the confusion: Within Stephon Marbury, the doubt has deepened. He isn’t so sure he wants the pressure, the responsibility, the demands of championship basketball.

Marbury goes to the Boston Celtics now, but the buyout took forever for a good reason: Starbury is a cartoon character who lives on the tabloid backpages, who exists as the King of Fools in basketball.

Stephon Marbury?

He’s a loser.

Deep down, he knows it.

He knows better than anyone.

“Sometimes it’s easier for a person to constantly threaten to do something, than to actually do it,” one respected NBA general manager said Tuesday. “Marbury has been threatening for a while now.”

When Marbury walks into that Celtics locker room, the con is over. He has been threatening a long time to show what he can do for a contender. Now he gets his chance. He hasn’t played a regular-season NBA game in over a year, a playoff game in five years, and hasn’t won a postseason game in six. Losing has always been someone else’s fault – his GM, his coach, his teammates. What’s more, losing is a habit for him. It’s never cost him a big contract, nor bothered him enough to stop partying or show shame.

Marbury still rejects the idea that it’s ever been his job to make his teammates better. “How am I going to make someone else better?” he asked, and always, that question is an answer within itself.

The policing of the locker room that starts with Kevin Garnett makes the Celtics believe Marbury is a minimum-salaried modest risk. They need another guard. Yet, Marbury will make himself a spectacle with the Celtics. He’ll say stupid things and act the clown, and it won’t be long until Boston is measuring risk and reward with him. When the pressure gets too much for him, the burden of performance overwhelming, Marbury will do something to self-destruct.

He’ll create a drama, a distraction, because he always does. That’s how he functions. That’s how he reacts to pressure. He’ll swear he understands his job as Rajon Rondo’s backup, but just watch how long that lasts. This job of spot duty won’t be easy for him, because accepting that – sacrificing for the greater good – has never been a part of his DNA. He’ll have to do more with less time. He’ll have to make the most of his opportunities, be prepared, be focused and that just isn’t Marbury. He’s never had the discipline to do it.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#49 » by greenbeans » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:47 pm

TB#1 wrote:Full Article from Yahoo Sports

Through the refusals to play, to the theatrical storming out of meetings with management, to the delirious diatribes to the New York Post, there’s been one constant truth that’s risen out of the confusion: Within Stephon Marbury, the doubt has deepened. He isn’t so sure he wants the pressure, the responsibility, the demands of championship basketball.

Marbury goes to the Boston Celtics now, but the buyout took forever for a good reason: Starbury is a cartoon character who lives on the tabloid backpages, who exists as the King of Fools in basketball.

Stephon Marbury?

He’s a loser.

Deep down, he knows it.

He knows better than anyone.

“Sometimes it’s easier for a person to constantly threaten to do something, than to actually do it,” one respected NBA general manager said Tuesday. “Marbury has been threatening for a while now.”

When Marbury walks into that Celtics locker room, the con is over. He has been threatening a long time to show what he can do for a contender. Now he gets his chance. He hasn’t played a regular-season NBA game in over a year, a playoff game in five years, and hasn’t won a postseason game in six. Losing has always been someone else’s fault – his GM, his coach, his teammates. What’s more, losing is a habit for him. It’s never cost him a big contract, nor bothered him enough to stop partying or show shame.

Marbury still rejects the idea that it’s ever been his job to make his teammates better. “How am I going to make someone else better?” he asked, and always, that question is an answer within itself.

The policing of the locker room that starts with Kevin Garnett makes the Celtics believe Marbury is a minimum-salaried modest risk. They need another guard. Yet, Marbury will make himself a spectacle with the Celtics. He’ll say stupid things and act the clown, and it won’t be long until Boston is measuring risk and reward with him. When the pressure gets too much for him, the burden of performance overwhelming, Marbury will do something to self-destruct.

He’ll create a drama, a distraction, because he always does. That’s how he functions. That’s how he reacts to pressure. He’ll swear he understands his job as Rajon Rondo’s backup, but just watch how long that lasts. This job of spot duty won’t be easy for him, because accepting that – sacrificing for the greater good – has never been a part of his DNA. He’ll have to do more with less time. He’ll have to make the most of his opportunities, be prepared, be focused and that just isn’t Marbury. He’s never had the discipline to do it.

Thanks, the link definitely didn't suffice :roll:
Avalanche
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,498

Post#50 » by Avalanche » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:48 pm

that article was an over oppinionated piece of ****, blatently hating on someone he obviously doesnt like personally

:D
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,267

Post#51 » by Dan Z » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:49 pm

It's a low risk signing by the Celtics so I don't think it'll hurt them.

One thing that I don't see talked about very much is how well he'll play. Marbury has talent but he's declined the last few years. Plus he's not much of a play maker and is an average shooter. Coming off the bench to be a spark or help ignite the team might not be so easy for him. He's used to being the main player on his team.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#52 » by MyInsatiableOne » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:49 pm

Have to say I agree, I am *not* excited by Marbs coming here but it is what it is...
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
Avalanche
Lead Assistant

Post#53 » by Avalanche » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:49 pm

and meanwhile, i do agree with most of whats been said here

Marbury has no option but to be a good soldier, if not his career could (would) be over

We have the perfect locker room to keep him under control and i think hes going to be a big help not only backing up rondo, but getting ray some extra rest in the next couple of months
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#54 » by humblebum » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:51 pm

So in the worst case scenario, Marbury fails to step up under pressure and the Celtics send him to the bench in favor of House/Pruitt. So basically, Marbury has no chance of negatively impacting the team. If he really gets boisterous about his role then he gets cut. There is almost ZERO risk with this move.

On the flip side he could prove an effective scorer and playmaker (as he's done his whole career) helping to reduce the offensive scoring burden of Pierce and Ray particularly.

Any other comment on this is just a fan of another team whining because they know the Celtics got better. Otherwise it's just a bunch of moral-high-horse-on-the-soap-box talk. Nobody cares if Marbury hurt your feelings. (To no one in particular)
Avalanche
Lead Assistant

Post#55 » by Avalanche » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:52 pm

Dan Z wrote:It's a low risk signing by the Celtics so I don't think it'll hurt them.

One thing that I don't see talked about very much is how well he'll play. Marbury has talent but he's declined the last few years. Plus he's not much of a play maker and is an average shooter. Coming off the bench to be a spark or help ignite the team might not be so easy for him. He's used to being the main player on his team.

i think thats it though, for the most part he will be the man with the squad hes on the floor with, allowing him to score and create.. which will put him in a familiar environment without having to jeapordise the team (not like any of our other bench guys can exactly lead an offense)

Im sure he will have no problem differing if hes out there with starters
KyleH186
Senior
And1: 8

Post#56 » by KyleH186 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:08 pm

What if Marbury comes in and is better than Rondo (which if he plays to his full potential he should be, although he hasn't played pro ball in like a year.) The guy used to average 22 and 9 when he had pieces around him that weren't members of the New York Knicks and I don't think his skill level has diminished any, if anything only his brain has.

So assuming he keeps his head on straight and plays to his potential, what do the celtics do if he is clearly better than Rondo? Do they cut into Rondo's minutes in the playoffs? Who would play the end of games?

I understand this is a huge hypothetical, but there is no denying that Marbury in his prime was one of the best PGs in the league, and there's nothing to say that he won't have some sort of revival with pieces like PP, Ray and KG around him.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#57 » by sully00 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:53 pm

Look I have hated on Marbury for years, if you hitch yourself to his wagon you get what you deserve. In some ways to Knicks fan he must be a combo of Antoine Walker and Vin Baker, not only did the player but the also the person let down the Knicks and their fans.

This idea that he is a minimum salary risk is a little too simple. We sat in this same spot a year ago and some of the very same people cheering the idea of Marbury were raving like lunatics about Sam Cassell. How he was going to make it the big 4 and replace Rondo as a starter and now we had the missing piece the, play maker who could make big shots and defend big pgs like Chauncey Billups. Only to find out that Sam was pushing 40 not 30 and could never guard worth a damn to begin with, a couple of ill advised jumpers later and he was destroying umbuntu, responsible for global warming, and the economic collapse.

Obviously if Steph slaps the bosses wife or get arrested with crack in front of middle school you can cut him great. He isn't likely to complain about his role but he is going to have a role. What Celtics fans have to understand is that Steph's game has been the problem. He scores 22 and dishes out 8 and his team loses by 6. That is what he can't bring here. Whatever that "it" is has to stop.

Sure he is likely to have a bench roll, but every minute is going to be important and to win a championship we are going to need some points out of that bench, we are now putting all of that in the hands of Stephon Marbury.

I want him and I wanted Sam and but my eyes are wide open.

He and Eddie do not have a good relationship and now they are likely to compete for mins. Is Steph going to maximize Eddie on the floor or is he going to compete with him on the floor?

Is he going to know that he doesn't have to take over, will he realize that if he is feeling it go for it if not spread the ball around, he never has. Does that mean Doc has to decide when to let him go or sit him down, he didn't do a great job with that with Sam and doesn't do a great job of it with Eddie, and frankly we don't have a lot of options anyhow.

The kid is super talented and always has been but the article was on point he has also always been a loser, he needs that and we need that to change.
hickfromfrenchlick
General Manager
And1: 9,133

Post#58 » by hickfromfrenchlick » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:11 pm

Our backcourt is now, in a word:

FORMIDABLE
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant

Post#59 » by billfromBoston » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:17 pm

sully00 wrote:Look I have hated on Marbury for years, if you hitch yourself to his wagon you get what you deserve. In some ways to Knicks fan he must be a combo of Antoine Walker and Vin Baker, not only did the player but the also the person let down the Knicks and their fans.

This idea that he is a minimum salary risk is a little too simple. We sat in this same spot a year ago and some of the very same people cheering the idea of Marbury were raving like lunatics about Sam Cassell. How he was going to make it the big 4 and replace Rondo as a starter and now we had the missing piece the, play maker who could make big shots and defend big pgs like Chauncey Billups. Only to find out that Sam was pushing 40 not 30 and could never guard worth a damn to begin with, a couple of ill advised jumpers later and he was destroying umbuntu, responsible for global warming, and the economic collapse.

Obviously if Steph slaps the bosses wife or get arrested with crack in front of middle school you can cut him great. He isn't likely to complain about his role but he is going to have a role. What Celtics fans have to understand is that Steph's game has been the problem. He scores 22 and dishes out 8 and his team loses by 6. That is what he can't bring here. Whatever that "it" is has to stop.

Sure he is likely to have a bench roll, but every minute is going to be important and to win a championship we are going to need some points out of that bench, we are now putting all of that in the hands of Stephon Marbury.

I want him and I wanted Sam and but my eyes are wide open.

He and Eddie do not have a good relationship and now they are likely to compete for mins. Is Steph going to maximize Eddie on the floor or is he going to compete with him on the floor?

Is he going to know that he doesn't have to take over, will he realize that if he is feeling it go for it if not spread the ball around, he never has. Does that mean Doc has to decide when to let him go or sit him down, he didn't do a great job with that with Sam and doesn't do a great job of it with Eddie, and frankly we don't have a lot of options anyhow.

The kid is super talented and always has been but the article was on point he has also always been a loser, he needs that and we need that to change.

The thing is, he doesn't have to "figure it out" on his own - he has an outstanding support structure with Ainge, Doc, KG, PP, RA all there to communicate with him and help him to understand what's expected...

The Eddie/Marbury thing is competitive BS - much like the Rondo/Cassell stuff last year...they're teammates and they'll compete together - Eddie has at least 15 mpg guarenteed while Marbury is at the PG, so I don't see much problem there...
Rocky5000
Analyst

Post#60 » by Rocky5000 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:25 pm

KyleH186 wrote:What if Marbury comes in and is better than Rondo (which if he plays to his full potential he should be, although he hasn't played pro ball in like a year.) The guy used to average 22 and 9 when he had pieces around him that weren't members of the New York Knicks and I don't think his skill level has diminished any, if anything only his brain has.

So assuming he keeps his head on straight and plays to his potential, what do the celtics do if he is clearly better than Rondo? Do they cut into Rondo's minutes in the playoffs? Who would play the end of games?

I understand this is a huge hypothetical, but there is no denying that Marbury in his prime was one of the best PGs in the league, and there's nothing to say that he won't have some sort of revival with pieces like PP, Ray and KG around him.

I don't know, but if we start asking those questions, it will be a very very good thing. Overall, I think that Steph should fit better with the second unit, where we need his scoring and ball handling. Rondo is more of a pass-first point guard, so he should in general work better with all of the scoring power in the starting lineup. Since TA is out, Marbury can backup the SG and PG positions, which should give him plenty of minutes.

Return to Boston Celtics