ImageImageImage

N.Y. asks Why do you think Marbury will work out for Boston

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Re: N.Y. asks Why do you think Marbury will work out for Boston 

Post#61 » by humblebum » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:26 pm

I think people are really just looking too much at past performance. This is a completely NOVEL situation that Marbury finds himself in in Boston. For the very first time he's NOT "the guy." Shoot he's not even guy number 2, 3, or 4. People talk about players being "losers" but individuals don't lose, teams and organizations do. Marbury has the skillset that this team needs. He can handle pressure in the backcourt, he can run P&R and he can score.

The team obviously needs to try to integrate Mar better than they did for Sam, but let's be honest here the problem with Sam was two fold, 1. He didn't know the sets, he took ill-advised shots, and he killed ball movement, and 2. He couldn't hit shots, handle pressure, or create by getting into the paint. In other words not only was Sam a bad fit strategically he also sucked pretty bad in terms of performance. Though Marbury will most likely have trouble getting acclimated into the ball movement oriented offense he WILL NOT struggle anywhere near as much as Sam in regards to shooting and scoring.

People just need to trust in Doc. He's really developed into a great coach flanked by a really, really strong staff. Ubuntu has been infused into the organization top to bottom from KG all the way down to Gabe Pruitt. The Celtics will integrate Marbury and reward him with a larger role based on him earning it. Unlike Sam, Marbury will score more efficiently and he'll get into the paint and create for teammates better, not because he is unselfish and a "winner" but simply because he's more talented and younger.
humblebum
Banned User
And1: 1,755

Post#62 » by humblebum » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:30 pm

And if Doc truly assesses the Marbury situation as "hurting the team" then he will get yanked accordingly. The reality is that the Celtics don't need Marbury, but Marbury can give the team a lift. If Marbury struggles, Rondo, Ray, Eddie and hopefully TA will be there to pick up the slack. Our backcourt is strong. Marbury has the chance to make it that much stronger.
bceltic55
Rookie
And1: 62

Post#63 » by bceltic55 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:40 pm

Our starting backcourt is great, but not the second unit. If Marbury can play well we have upgraded the unit by leaps and bounds. He is way better that Gabe and Tony, although Tony is a way better defender. Marbury can handle the pressure and we can move House to the SG position.Great move DA
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#64 » by Jammer » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:37 am

The biggest issue Steph has ever had with a coach,
whether it be Mike D'Antoni in Phoenix,
Larry Brown in New York,
Isiah Thomas in New York,
Mike D'Antoni in New York,

is that Steph refused to come off the bench.

He's played 823 NBA games, averaging 38.2 mpg, 19.7 ppg, 7.8 apg, 3 rpg.
He's started 812 of those games.

The biggest issue with Steph in the past is over,
supposedly he's been told he'll play 15 mpg, and he's accepted that,
although I expect him to play more like 20mpg.

So, the starter/bench issue is moot.

The Celtics have very clearly defined roles, which will actually be easier
than the undefined chaos of Isaih, Larry Brown (50 DIFFERENT starting lineups in 82 games),
or Mike Antoni's lie about giving Steph a clean slate in New York.

Steph should do great, the team should do great.

Steph will be the backup PG on offense, and also play
quite a bit of SG since Ray Allen is the backup SF,
leaving Ray only about 25 minutes of SG time.

That leaves 23 minutes of SG to fill.
I suspect that depending on how they're playing,
Steph and Eddie will be splitting that up game by game.

The interesting thing about Eddie, despite his ball handling woes,
is that the team plays extremely well with Eddie on the floor.
If Eddie is not hitting, he's effectively useles,
but one's of Eddie's best qualities is his ability to set
moving screens that he doesn't get called for.

Whether Eddie will be able to get away with that this year in the playoffs,
or suffer the fate of Kendrick Perkins and Glen Davis
and have every moving screen called, remains to be seen,
but the little bugga gets away with a lot, as does Derek Fisher.
Maybe little guys are less noticeable than Perk and Big Baby
because the man just slides around them rather than crashing into Perk or Davis.
sully00
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,716

Post#65 » by sully00 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:54 am

billfromBoston wrote:
The thing is, he doesn't have to "figure it out" on his own - he has an outstanding support structure with Ainge, Doc, KG, PP, RA all there to communicate with him and help him to understand what's expected...

The Eddie/Marbury thing is competitive BS - much like the Rondo/Cassell stuff last year...they're teammates and they'll compete together - Eddie has at least 15 mpg guarenteed while Marbury is at the PG, so I don't see much problem there...

I don't think Eddie is going to be a problem at all, I am worried that Marbury is not going to evolve and frankly it is a legit concern. Is he going to look to get Eddie the ball or perceive him as a threat? I don't think that Sam and Rondo are comparable at all, Sam couldn't even handle starter mins anymore and Rondo was a 2nd year pg, they also were not going to play together. Eddie is going to need Marbs to get him the ball.

I don't want to go into to this thing expecting Marbury to change. I am pretty damn sure that everywhere Marbury has been his coach has been pretty damn clear about what was expected, Larry Brown is not the type of guy you have to read between the lines with and through all of his faults either is Isiah. The question is can we harness it and make use of what he is for the next 4 months.
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,874

Post#66 » by Jammer » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:08 am

And don't underestimate what billfromboston has already stressed.

Steph never played on a team where there was a strong veteran presence "above him."

Now, Steph, Kevin and Ray all came in together,
and Paul has been around forever too, and Steph respects Paul,
plus he knows Paul will kill him if he messes with the team.

He has a great coaching staff, also, great management,
and don't underestimate the clearly defined roles that work aspect.

It has been said that Steph can be obstinate,
but there is a support system here,
and desire among ALL parties to make this work,
that has never been present in any situation that Steph has been in.

Steph wants to win a Championship to say FU to
anyone who suggested he wasn't a winner.
He wants to show he can finish games the way James Posey did,
hit big shots, make the right decisions, and make plays.

Not only can Steph do it, and want to do it,
but Kevin, Paul, Ray, Doc, Danny, Rajon and Perk
will see that he does. But understand this. Steph wants to succeed, and he will.
Taget
Analyst
And1: 2,628

Post#67 » by Taget » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:30 am

I can't say I have faith in Stephon. But in this select situation in this year it might work. He does tend to play his best and follow instructions the best after he's just traded and begins sliding from there.

The main problem with Stephon is he's great when he starts and when things go well. It's when you hit a roadblock that he starts going off the map. Which is why he's just plain a bad teammate. He points fingers and never takes responsibility.

That said if he is content to play with the second unit and doesnt start complaining it could work. Hopefully we find a better answer for next year.
[quote:545636310b="Darth Celtic"]man, these refs need to stop giving us the benefit of the doubt and start screwing us.[/quote]

Rocky5000
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#68 » by Rocky5000 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:53 am

People talk about teams getting better the season after they get rid of Stephon, but I looked up what happens to teams that acquire Stephon. If he was acquired mid season, I gave the records with and without Marbury for that season.

Twolves
Season Before Marbury: 26-56
1st season with Marbury:40-42

Nets
Pre Marbury trade:3-17
Post Marbury trade:13-17 (Lockout year)

Suns
Season Before Marbury 51-31
1st season With Marbury 36-46

Knicks
Pre Marbury trade:14-22
Post Marbury trade:25-22

So the only team that got immediately worse with the addition of Marbury, was the Suns, where he had the honor of replacing Jason Kidd. Jason Kidd, of course, went on to lead the Nets to the NBA finals the next two years.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 9,033

Post#69 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:21 am

I think Marbury will work out quite nicely for Boston for three good reasons:

First, he'll be playing on a great team for the first time in his career. Great players who'll make his job easier and a winning tradition as well.

Second, Marbury's coming in as humble as he's capable of being having been benched for months by a team that pretty much showed him they didn't want anything to do with him at all. Marbury won't come in initially wanting big minutes because he'll be happy just playing at all since the Knicks bought him out.

Third, he will be playing for his next contract and in essence his entire reputation as a player. He's going to play as well as he's capable of playing and he's going to do what he's told.

I think the Celtics made good additions with both Moore and Marbury in that they got guys veteran enough to perform well under pressure and young enough to still play at a high level.

I think Marbury's real contribution will be to keep Rondo fresh and to save the legs of Ray Allen a bit for the playoffs. Boston has the Atlantic wrapped up and can finish no worse than 3rd in the east. All they need Marbury and Moore for is to give them good minutes and to keep the big three and Rondo fresh. Stephon won't mess that up at all.
Bye bye Beal.
tomgugliottamvp
Banned User

Post#70 » by tomgugliottamvp » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:18 am

The thing here is that there are 0 teams interested in Marbury other than the Celtics. That means the Celtics think they can integrate Marbury into the team. To that I say "good luck".
Kefa461
RealGM
And1: 430

Post#71 » by Kefa461 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:55 am

tomgugliottamvp wrote:The thing here is that there are 0 teams interested in Marbury other than the Celtics. That means the Celtics think they can integrate Marbury into the team. To that I say "good luck".

Thanks...... 8-)
WE ARE CELTIC NATION
17 TITLES, ON TO #18.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager
And1: 180

Post#72 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:45 pm

tomgugliottamvp wrote:The thing here is that there are 0 teams interested in Marbury other than the Celtics. That means the Celtics think they can integrate Marbury into the team. To that I say "good luck".

But this is good...it lets us dictate the terms...otherwise Marbury would have a little leverage but now he doesn't...
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
R33D33
General Manager
And1: 15
Location: When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

Post#73 » by R33D33 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:07 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:
R33D33 wrote:
MyInsatiableOne wrote:How hard will we all laugh if LeBron doesn't go to NY? It'll set them back another 40 years!

I'm sure you realize other FA do exist outside of Lebron in 2010. I for one think Lebron and Wade stay put and the Knicks get Bosh or Amare.

Of course...but it seems like the fans and media in NY have their hearts set on LeBron...will they turn on the Knicks and the players if they only get Amare or Bosh? Neither of those guys can carry a team, why should it make a difference if they're on NY?

That's because the media loves Lebron and the fans love Lebron. Perhaps neither guy can carry a team but we aren't looking for someone to carry the team by himself. We've gotten lucky with the progress from ou draft picks thus far and with some maturity they would be above decent starters.

Your line of setting the Knicks back 40 years was a low blow. You'd have to kill the entire Knick roster and management if you want such a thing to happen.
R33D33 wrote:Can we agree on this, get rid of all benefits corporations get from governments?
Bulltalk wrote:Not really.
‎"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." – H.L. Mencken
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#74 » by kosmovitelli » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:50 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:How hard will we all laugh if LeBron doesn't go to NY? It'll set them back another 40 years!

Set us back 40 years ? LOL

The price to pay for cap space in 2010 was only Zach Randolph (as Crawford was traded for Harrington, who seem to be equal value for him : same flaws, not as good as Crawford but better contract). This team was going nowhere with Zach Randolph so even if the Knicks sign 0 free agent in 2010, cap flexibility will be a tremendous asset. Wether we land Lebron or not, for the first time in 8 years, the Knicks are on the right track with a competent GM.

Not to mention, you shouldn't laugh if we don't get Lebron. Because if he stays in Cleveland, it means the Cavs would have added another top player to complement him. Remember they also have masive room under the cap that year. They can resign Lebron and lure Bosh for example. Not good for the Celtics even though your team will probably be on the decline in 2010 with KG and Allen aging.
Lebron going
kosmovitelli
RealGM
And1: 429

Post#75 » by kosmovitelli » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:18 pm

MyInsatiableOne wrote:

But this is good...it lets us dictate the terms...otherwise Marbury would have a little leverage but now he doesn't...

Marbury is a good acquisition for the Celtics and as he's paid the veteran minimum, it's almost a no brainer to sign him.
Whenever he created problems and was ran out of town by his former team, he ALWAYS played well after the trade. A change of scenery will do him good. At first, Marbury always want to prove people wrong so he adjusts very well the first 6 months.

It was harmless to sign him this year but I strongly advise the Celtics not to resign Marbury next season. The second season is always the season where he create problems
- traded in july 2001 to the Suns for Kidd, had an average season but as he saw Kidd transform the Ntes into a championship contender in his first season, light a fire under his ass, with Amare he played very well and took the Suns to the playoffs. After a very good 2002-2003 season and a huge contract extension, he reverted back to his old-self, clashed with his coach (who was fired and replaced by d'Antoni) and was traded.
- traded in january 2004 to the Knicks : played well the first 6 months under Wilkens and took the Knicks to the playoffs. Clashed with his coach and several players (including Kurt Thomas and Penny Hardaway) and the Knicks ended in the lotto. Adjusted well to Larry Brown first but clashed with him as soon as the Knicks were on a massive losing streak. Brown was fired and Marbury once again played well under Ihis new coach, Isiah Thomas, the first season and clashed with him the second season.

I expect Marbury to play well because :
- he's paid the minimum and has no room for error
- he's in a contract year and will likely get zero offer if he creates problems in Boston
- he always play well the first 6 months with his new team
- he's OK on a winning team, he creates problems only when his team is losing and he refuses to be held accountable when his team is losing.
- he will be a bench player in Boston and won't have to carry the team on his shoulders, he has 3 all stars on his team and will have to defer to them.

The only problem I can see is Marbury forcing shots and trying too hard to prove d'Antoni (and the Knicks) wrong.
billfromBoston
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by billfromBoston » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:29 pm

sully00 wrote:
billfromBoston wrote:
The thing is, he doesn't have to "figure it out" on his own - he has an outstanding support structure with Ainge, Doc, KG, PP, RA all there to communicate with him and help him to understand what's expected...

The Eddie/Marbury thing is competitive BS - much like the Rondo/Cassell stuff last year...they're teammates and they'll compete together - Eddie has at least 15 mpg guarenteed while Marbury is at the PG, so I don't see much problem there...

I don't think Eddie is going to be a problem at all, I am worried that Marbury is not going to evolve and frankly it is a legit concern. Is he going to look to get Eddie the ball or perceive him as a threat? I don't think that Sam and Rondo are comparable at all, Sam couldn't even handle starter mins anymore and Rondo was a 2nd year pg, they also were not going to play together. Eddie is going to need Marbs to get him the ball.

I don't want to go into to this thing expecting Marbury to change. I am pretty damn sure that everywhere Marbury has been his coach has been pretty damn clear about what was expected, Larry Brown is not the type of guy you have to read between the lines with and through all of his faults either is Isiah. The question is can we harness it and make use of what he is for the next 4 months.

I'm not expecting him to change his core personality - but the INFLUENCERS surrounding that personality are going to be dramatically different - Larry Brown, as good as he is, is a confrontational and non=dialoguing type - he states how things are going to be and takes very little feedback from players.

The Knicks were also a revolving door of personnel, with no cohesion....this situation is much different in Boston...

The nuances of the support structure are EVERYTHING in this situation - having the type of player, coaching, and management leadership this team has will be a huge boone toward maximizing the good in Marbury...

I think that is lost alot in this debate. Its commonly assumed that Marbury is "all bad" or a "complete cancer" when human emotion and behavior is much more complex than that. Marbury has too many character limitations to survive highly volatile and controversial situations that are pressure packed with losing and confusion as to roles.

But, if you put Marbury in a structured system where he doesn't have to come up with the answers or be a leader, I believe that he has some good character qualities that will help him to attempt to do what's asked of him.

His shot selection and understanding and commitment to the defensive schemes is going to take time - you don't undo years of loose play in a single week - but this team has a couple of months to work with him and I do truly believe that Marbury is coming here to TRY and do right - that's different than KNOWING what is right.

With some hard work and effective communication, I believe Marbury can fill the role he's being given without taking away from the team chemistry at all.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#77 » by greenbeans » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:32 pm

tomgugliottamvp wrote:The thing here is that there are 0 teams interested in Marbury other than the Celtics.
Lies! Miami was going after him hard, and he would have the opportunity to start there.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#78 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:46 pm

^I would have liked to have seen him torpedo the Heat and Dwyane Wade (especially since some pretty sordid details about Wade have come out, he and Marbs would be kindred spirits!)
It's still 17 to 11!!!!
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#79 » by greenbeans » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:51 pm

Can you imagine the awkward silence that will most likely take place between Scal n Steph? The Odd Couple those two.
MyInsatiableOne
General Manager

Post#80 » by MyInsatiableOne » Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:55 pm

greenbeans wrote:Can you imagine the awkward silence that will most likely take place between Scal n Steph? The Odd Couple those two.

:lol: :lol:
It's still 17 to 11!!!!

Return to Boston Celtics