ImageImageImage

Over under on Marquis daniels signing date?

Moderators: bisme37, canman1971, Darthlukey, Shak_Celts, Froob, Parliament10, shackles10, snowman

Spin Move
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,037

Over under on Marquis daniels signing date? 

Post#1 » by Spin Move » Fri Aug 21, 2009 11:05 pm

Seriously, when is this gonna happen I say by next Friday august 28th 2009...over or under? (Under would be sooner, Over later)
Zin5
Starter
And1: 328

Re: Over under on Marquis daniels signing date? 

Post#2 » by Zin5 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:29 am

Over on the 28th. I doubt we rush it and just resort to flat out signing him until the very latest possible point unless we somehow manage to work out a sign and trade before then. I've grown pessimistic about a sign and trade happening, but that doesn't mean we won't hold out.
#loveboston
chas0x01
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#3 » by chas0x01 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:25 am

There was a post in Celticsblog.com stating that Danny was waiting for Minnesota's GM to return next week, from vacation. So something might get done then.
Mike-Dub
Ballboy

Post#4 » by Mike-Dub » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:21 am

chas0x01 wrote:There was a post in Celticsblog.com stating that Danny was waiting for Minnesota's GM to return next week, from vacation. So something might get done then.

It actually was Memphis' GM Chris Wallace not Minnesota's GM... And it could only be a joke...

http://www.csnne.com/2009/08/21/the-friday-monologue-11-13-08/

In other Celtics news, the long-awaited Marquis Daniels trade still isn’t official, as the C’s and Pacers search for a third team to facilitate the process.
chas0x01
Sophomore

Post#5 » by chas0x01 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:28 am

Oh yes, sorry, Memphis. Well lets hope it's for real. The longer this drags on the less sure I am that it's gonna happen at all.
Mike-Dub
Ballboy

Post#6 » by Mike-Dub » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:29 am

chas0x01 wrote:Oh yes, sorry, Memphis. Well lets hope it's for real. The longer this drags on the less sure I am that it's gonna happen at all.

It's going to happen... But I really want it to happen in a sign and trade in which we can get rid of TA and hopefully sign Bowen...
jrbremer
Freshman

Post#7 » by jrbremer » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:45 am

this whole process is only reaffirming the fact that no one wants tony allen

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le8rMnL56w8
R.I.P.
BRUNiNHO91
RealGM
And1: 22,112

Post#8 » by BRUNiNHO91 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:57 am

jrbremer wrote:this whole process is only reaffirming the fact that no one wants tony allen

R.I.P.

He was playing out of his mind when that happened. What a shame... :(
A new dawn will rise in Boston. ‎#StayLoyal THANK YOU TRUTH!
Zin5
Starter

Post#9 » by Zin5 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:44 pm

jrbremer wrote:this whole process is only reaffirming the fact that no one wants tony allen

R.I.P.

That just about sums up Tony in one video. Million dollar talent and athleticism, ten cent brain.
#loveboston
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#10 » by Jammer » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:09 pm

I think the Celtics hold out to using the LLE at all costs, obviously preferring a long term contract for more money, which would leave them with the LLE this year and NEXT, and not require re-signing Daniels NEXT SUMMER with the MLE (since Daniels would obviously insist on a 2nd year player option if he did sign the LLE to protect him against a Leon Powe like injury).

There are still partners that could be found.

Memphis is most likely, since they only have 4 guards, and Tony Allen is better than all of them (OJ Mayo, Mike Conley, Jr., Marko "Wretched" Jaric and Marcus "Woeful" Williams. Memphis is supposedly holding out until the following 4 players find a home: Allen Iverson (who only the owner and OJ Mayo seems to want, the coaching staff and front office are against signing him); Terrence Kinsey (who sucks); Jamal Tinsley, who makes Tony Allen look like a Altar Boy/Eagle Scout (Tinsley has been involved in so many shooting incidents it is ludicrous to consider him if there are any safety concerns, but supposedly Memphis is looking into Tinsley); and Ronald "Flip" Murray, who is the only other player other than Tony Allen and Iverson in this group who can actually play ball. Tinsely is sort of like Mike Conley, but he brings along that Saturday night battle at the OK corral form of entertainment that Indiana got him out of town after all the drive bys they had, they were lucky they didn't lose some players or fans to death by gunfire. If Memphis acts intelligently, they'll eventually realize Tony is better than all these washed up players, with the exception of Allen Iverson, who would never accept coming off the bench in Memphis, anyway. He would only go there if promised the starting job, which would mean they'd have to trade Conley, since Conley would never accept losing the job for one year to a transient like Iverson.

Portland has $5 million in cap space, 12 players under contract (they just signed one of their 4 picks), with 3 more draft picks unsigned. They have cap room, but obviously wouldn't take Tony with Brandon Roy, Steve Blake, Rudy Fernandez, Andre Miller and Jerryd Bayless already at guard.

Oklahoma City has 14 players under contract, $7 million in cap room; but their guards include James Harden, Russell Westbrook, Shaun Livingston, Kevin Ollie, Kyle Weaver, and in a pinch, Thabo Sefolosha. Also, Oklahoma City has not yet signed/decided what to do with their 2009 #54 pick.

Sacramento has $4 million in cap space, 12 players under contract, with one unsigned draft pick. They have plenty of depth at guard, with Tyreke Evans, Beno Udrih, Sergio Rodriguez, Kevin Martin, and even Francisco Garcia, since they just drafted Omri Caspri at SF. It would cost Danny Tony's salary to get them to take Tony, whereas at least Memphis has a use for Tony (Tony would back up OJ Mayo and Mike Conley in Memphis).

Shamsports needs to update their website; they show Detroit with 10 players, when Detroit has already signed 14 players, and no longer has cap room.

Ditto for the Clippers, who added Rasual Butler, ending any cap space they had to fit in Tony Allen.

Minnesota is the tricky one. They have just enough cap space to add Tony Allen, however, Minnesota has 14 players under contract, with Ricky Rubio's status undetermined. If Rubio is not playing this year, they, like Sacramento, could probably be persuaded to take Tony Allen by sending $2.5 million along with Tony Allen. Minnesota has a guard lineup that includes Johnny Flynn, Bobby Brown and Chucky Atkins at PG; and Wayne Ellington, Corey Brewer and Damien Wilkins at SG.

So, the only sign and trade possibilities are:

1. Memphis (Tony would deserve to play there, Celtics do Memphis HUGE favor),
2. Minnesota (only if Rubio doesn't play this season, and Celtics cover part of Tony's salary)
3A. Sacramento (would have to pay Tony's $2.5 million salary since no need),
3B. Oklahoma City (would have to pay Tony's $2.5 million salary since no need),
Portland (12 players under contract, 3 unsigned 2009 draft picks, no NEED at GUARD).

Danny will wait until the last possible moment.
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#11 » by Banks2Pierce » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:42 pm

Jammer wrote:
Memphis is most likely, since they only have 4 guards, and Tony Allen is better than all of them (OJ Mayo, Mike Conley, Jr., Marko "Wretched" Jaric and Marcus "Woeful" Williams.

hahhahahahahahahhahaha.
Zin5
Starter

Post#12 » by Zin5 » Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:45 pm

Jammer wrote:Memphis is most likely, since they only have 4 guards, and Tony Allen is better than all of them (OJ Mayo, Mike Conley, Jr., Marko "Wretched" Jaric and Marcus "Woeful" Williams.

You seriously think TA's better than Mayo and Conley? It's debatable if he's better than Jaric.

Cut the TA to Memphis crap already. You're the only person that thinks Memphis would actually take him off our hands. Go to the Memphis board and ask them if they even want TA before you keep assuming they want to do us a favor and take a $2.5M cap hit off our hands.
#loveboston
Celts17Pride
RealGM
And1: 62,878

Post#13 » by Celts17Pride » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:10 pm

Jammer wrote:
So, the only sign and trade possibilities are:

1. Memphis (Tony would deserve to play there, Celtics do Memphis HUGE favor),
2. Minnesota (only if Rubio doesn't play this season, and Celtics cover part of Tony's salary)
3A. Sacramento (would have to pay Tony's $2.5 million salary since no need),
3B. Oklahoma City (would have to pay Tony's $2.5 million salary since no need),
Portland (12 players under contract, 3 unsigned 2009 draft picks, no NEED at GUARD).

Jammer,

The only way any of these trades happen is if you become GM of Memphis, Minny, Portland, OKC or Sacramento.

Celtics do Memphis HUGE favor by giving them Tony Allen.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No1CeltsFan
Sophomore

Post#14 » by No1CeltsFan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:48 pm

I really dont understand why everyone is so worried about when this is going to happen.

Don't you guys understand that it's a done deal. I mean seriously. Danny Ainge already said it during the Big Baby pressconference how valuable Daniels is going to be to this team. How versatile he is and what a help to Paul he can be.

What the hell does it matter when he sign as long it happens by training camp? Should they just rush and give him the 1.2$M an take away or LLE or should they wait as long as possible, go through every scenario, knowing that time isn't an issue because he commited here?

Doesn't that make more sense?
Paul Pierce said it best about Caron Butler and the AS 2007 Game:

"Caron Butler should send me flowers for being injured so he could make the All-Star game, because if I was healthy, he wouldn’t be in there.”
No1CeltsFan
Sophomore

Post#15 » by No1CeltsFan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:51 pm

Jammer wrote: There are still partners that could be found.

Memphis is most likely, since they only have 4 guards, and Tony Allen is better than all of them (OJ Mayo, Mike Conley, Jr., Marko "Wretched" Jaric and Marcus "Woeful" Williams.

Dude. R u effin serious?!?!?!?!!!!

TA is better than OJ Mayo? OMG u shuold be removed from anything basketball related. This could be the worse response in the history or any forum.
Paul Pierce said it best about Caron Butler and the AS 2007 Game:

"Caron Butler should send me flowers for being injured so he could make the All-Star game, because if I was healthy, he wouldn’t be in there.”
Banks2Pierce
RealGM
And1: 5,320

Post#16 » by Banks2Pierce » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:47 pm

He's not even close to Mayo, but Memphis does make a GREAT trading partner.
Avalanche
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,498

Post#17 » by Avalanche » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:54 pm

The Celtics are hoping to finalize their acquisition of Marquis Daniels this week.

If Boston doesn't sign Daniels to a deal worth their biannual exception, they are expected to work a sign-and-trade with Indiana.

Bill Walker is one name that has been mentioned in trade talks. He wants to return to the Celtics, but he knows the NBA is a business.

"I don't worry about that. That's a part of the business. That's the beast side of the business. All I can control is that I'm going to work out every day and take every day for what it’s worth," Walker told the Boston Herald. "If I'm here, I'm here. If I'm not, oh well, but I still want to be who I am at the end of the day."

from the wiretap again...

how many times have we heard 'by the end of this week'? lol.. just get it done already
Jammer
General Manager
And1: 2,868

Post#18 » by Jammer » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:18 pm

Avalanche wrote:
The Celtics are hoping to finalize their acquisition of Marquis Daniels this week.

If Boston doesn't sign Daniels to a deal worth their biannual exception, they are expected to work a sign-and-trade with Indiana.

Bill Walker is one name that has been mentioned in trade talks. He wants to return to the Celtics, but he knows the NBA is a business.

"I don't worry about that. That's a part of the business. That's the beast side of the business. All I can control is that I'm going to work out every day and take every day for what it’s worth," Walker told the Boston Herald. "If I'm here, I'm here. If I'm not, oh well, but I still want to be who I am at the end of the day."

how many times have we heard 'by the end of this week'? lol.. just get it done already

This is the second time a Boston newspaper article has hinted that Billy Walker might be acceptable compensation to Indiana to give Marquis Daniels a Sign & Trade. Of course, it's not enough salary. Brian Scalabrine OR Tony Allen would have to be in the deal, going to a third team, since Indiana doesn't NEED or have a roster spot for Scal or Tony if they are getting Billy Walker.

Turns out that Minnesota is no longer far enough under the cap to accept Tony, but there are two ways that Minnesota could get there. Although Chucky Atkins is scheduled to make $3,480,000 this season, only $760,000 is guaranteed. If Minnesota waived Chucky Atkins, they save $2,720,000.
JHTruth
RealGM
And1: 2,511

Post#19 » by JHTruth » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:31 am

I see it going down like this:

To Memphis: Tony Allen plus around $3 million in cash
To Boston: Daniels
To Indy: $3 million trade exception
chas0x01
Sophomore

Post#20 » by chas0x01 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:41 am

Avalanche wrote:

Just get'er done, Danny. The waiting is killing me.

Return to Boston Celtics