Road to a Championship start here, 2022 Draft.

Moderator: bwgood77

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,688

Re: Road to a Championship start here, 2022 Draft. 

Post#61 » by Whole Truth » Wed Mar 2, 2022 8:00 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:I dont think that is the easiest next 3 for the Lakers. Clippers are a team that plays hard and that alone gives them a significant edge over this Lakers team that is reeling. Spurs is a young team that still is kind of fighting for that final play in spot. GS hasnt had Klay the last couple games and he should be back and they can flip a switch any game really. Plus ya the Lakers are just playing some really bad basketball, they can lose to anyone at the moment.

It's not so much that I think LA will have an easy go of it. Problem is, I don't see any easy time for the teams trying to catch either.

Duke4life831 wrote:Not the biggest fan of Davis in NO because his lack of shooting. I mean if somehow the Pels end up being able to grab one of Griffin or Mathurin with the Lakers pick, talk about just the ideal scenario. Those two seem to be the dream scenario for the Pels. 6'6-6'7 athletic wings who can really shoot the ball. Basically exactly what this team needs. Those two would be the top tier in my opinion for the Pels, then Davis on the next tier. Because ya Davis is still a big guard that can defend and while not being a good shooter, should be a solid scorer.

Unfortunately, NBA draft net has projected Griffin going 4th & Mathurin 6th, which would put them out of reach. Unless of course NO's add incentive which I wouldn't be apposed too as there's only 5 starting spots, with 4 potentially filled already.. where at some point, those picks will need to be consolidated into something better.. why not a high upside 2 way wing that fits on rookie scale !! with NO's pick cache, a possible venture.

Duke4life831 wrote:The question to me is, say the Pels get the Lakers pick and its say 9 or 10 and those 3 guards are gone. Keegan Murray has been good this year, especially with his improved 3pt shot. He is a 6'8 wing with solid mobility and a good defender. Another guy to keep an eye on is Shaedon Sharpe. Fantastic athlete, real good shooting form. I can see if the 3 guards from college go in front of him, he could maybe slip to that 9-10 spot. That would be a nice pickup.

Depends, I'd first & foremost look to use that pick to trade up. Consolidate some of those future picks into good use. I mean if it was up to me, I'd walk out this draft with 2 top 3 picks even if it meant trading Zion to do it. Besides the benefit of their rookie scale over maxing an injury riddled Zion who's body type is projected poorly for the future

Trading Zion for a top 3 pick does several positive things for NO's
- reset the clock on his extension, with 2 max players already on roster for better cap health while still adding potential.
- With BI & CJ being sub defenders, it allows NO's to insert a better defensive option/fit than ZIon who remains a ?
- Stabilize the situation & security on a situation that could go as wrong as it could go right, eliminating a huge risk factor.
- None would blame NO's for taking front & trading such a talent, considering what has already transpired.

Zion traded to NY for the potential of Chet/Smith +
Lakers pick if it lands (9-10) used to trade up for the best 2 way SG they can get.

Chet/Smith (rookie scale) / Jonas
Herb (rookie scale) / Hayes
2 way SG/SF (rookie scale / Snell - Murphy
BI (Max) / Naji - Graham
CJ (Max) / Alvarado - Graham

It's possible ZIon could net a top 3 pick +++. It balances the teams defensive fit, balances the teams cap situation & while none being drafted might be the generational talent that ZIon is..., that would be a well balanced team with a ton of potential, quality depth & high ceiling. Where one injury is not going to send them sideways & into a tail spin.

In trading up, I'd try to Keep either the Lakers RTS 23 or the unprotected 24 to land an eventual replacement PG for CJ to mentor. Pelicans will be good next yr with no question on whether their best player will be available or not...
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,112

Post#62 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Mar 2, 2022 8:22 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:I dont think that is the easiest next 3 for the Lakers. Clippers are a team that plays hard and that alone gives them a significant edge over this Lakers team that is reeling. Spurs is a young team that still is kind of fighting for that final play in spot. GS hasnt had Klay the last couple games and he should be back and they can flip a switch any game really. Plus ya the Lakers are just playing some really bad basketball, they can lose to anyone at the moment.

It's not so much that I think LA will have an easy go of it. Problem is, I don't see any easy time for the teams trying to catch either.

Duke4life831 wrote:Not the biggest fan of Davis in NO because his lack of shooting. I mean if somehow the Pels end up being able to grab one of Griffin or Mathurin with the Lakers pick, talk about just the ideal scenario. Those two seem to be the dream scenario for the Pels. 6'6-6'7 athletic wings who can really shoot the ball. Basically exactly what this team needs. Those two would be the top tier in my opinion for the Pels, then Davis on the next tier. Because ya Davis is still a big guard that can defend and while not being a good shooter, should be a solid scorer.

Unfortunately, NBA draft net has projected Griffin going 4th & Mathurin 6th, which would put them out of reach. Unless of course NO's add incentive which I wouldn't be apposed too as there's are only 5 starting spots, with 4 potentially filled.. where at some point, those picks will need to be consolidated into something better.. why not a high upside 2 way wing that fits on rookie scale !! with NO's pick cache, a possible venture.

Duke4life831 wrote:The question to me is, say the Pels get the Lakers pick and its say 9 or 10 and those 3 guards are gone. Keegan Murray has been good this year, especially with his improved 3pt shot. He is a 6'8 wing with solid mobility and a good defender. Another guy to keep an eye on is Shaedon Sharpe. Fantastic athlete, real good shooting form. I can see if the 3 guards from college go in front of him, he could maybe slip to that 9-10 spot. That would be a nice pickup.

Depends, I'd first & foremost look to use that pick to trade up. Consolidate some of those future picks into good use. I mean if it was up to me, I'd walk out this draft with 2 top 3 picks even if it meant trading Zion to do it. Besides the benefit of their rookie scale over maxing an injury riddled Zion who's body type is projected poorly for the future

Trading Zion for a top 3 pick does several positive things for NO's
- reset the clock on his extension, with 2 max players already on roster for better cap health while still adding potential.
- With BI & CJ being sub defenders, it allows NO's to insert a better defensive option/fit than ZIon who remains a ?
- Stabilize the situation & security on a situation that could go as wrong as it could go right, eliminating a huge risk factor.
- None would blame NO's for taking front & trading such a talent, considering what has already transpired.

Zion traded to NY for the potential of Chet/Smith +
Lakers pick if it lands (9-10) used to trade up for the best 2 way SG they can get.

Chet/Smith (rookie scale) / Jonas
Herb (rookie scale) / Hayes
BI (max) / Snell - Murphy
2 way SG (rookie scale) / Naji - Graham
CJ (Max) / Alvarado - Graham

It's possible ZIon could net a top 3 pick +++. It balances the teams defensive fit, balances the teams cap situation & while none being drafted might be the generational talent that ZIon is..., that would be a well balanced team with a ton of potential, quality depth & high ceiling. Where one injury is not going to send them sideways & into a tail spin.

In trading up, I'd try to Keep either the Lakers RTS 23 or the unprotected 24 to land an eventual replacement PG for CJ to mentor. Pelicans will be good next yr with no question on whether their best player will be available or not...

Not going to lie, using some more assets to trade up never even occurred to me haha. Ya if that Lakers pick does happen, definitely down to trade some assets to trade up to make sure Griffin or Mathurin have a Pels jersey next year.

When it comes to Zion being traded for a top 3 pick. The issue with that though is the hope would essentially be NY to tank hard to lock in that top 3 pick, or just get lucky in the lotto. Because Im not sure teams like ORL, DET, IND, SAC and so on would trade for Zion. I think they would be scared of Zion still wanting to bounce to a bigger market. Of course there is always a possible 3 team trade scenario if NY doesnt quite make it that high in the draft.

And in all honesty the other good thing with trading Zion and getting a top 3 pick is all those guys fit with the current roster. Again Im not the biggest fan of Jabari as a 5 in the NBA and I think Chet is years away from being able to play the 5. But they all fit perfectly with Jonas as the 5. With Jonas locked up for the next 2 years, might be just the perfect amount of time to see if either guy fills out and can handle being the main 5, or just finding another 5 to pair with them (which would be far easier to do than finding a 5 that pairs with Zion). But ya if the lineup going forward would be

Jonas/Hayes
(Chet/Jabari)/Herb
BI/Snell-Murphy
(Griffin/Mathurin)/preferably a FA guard
CJ/Graham or whoever

That would be an exciting team going forward. I think with Jonas and CJ to go with BI. You're looking at a team that can be a playoff team. Then CJ and Jonas both have their contracts ending 2 more seasons from now. You can either hope to resign them if they're still playing at a high level, or be cool with moving on with BI and the 2 young guys.

That would be a pretty ideal refresh from the whole Zion era.
JHFVF07
Rookie
And1: 896

Post#63 » by JHFVF07 » Wed Mar 2, 2022 9:53 pm

I dont know. But I believe that the only team trading a top3 pick for Zion is NYK.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#64 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 3, 2022 12:54 am

Duke4life831 wrote:Not going to lie, using some more assets to trade up never even occurred to me haha. Ya if that Lakers pick does happen, definitely down to trade some assets to trade up to make sure Griffin or Mathurin have a Pels jersey next year.

When it comes to Zion being traded for a top 3 pick. The issue with that though is the hope would essentially be NY to tank hard to lock in that top 3 pick, or just get lucky in the lotto. Because Im not sure teams like ORL, DET, IND, SAC and so on would trade for Zion. I think they would be scared of Zion still wanting to bounce to a bigger market. Of course there is always a possible 3 team trade scenario if NY doesnt quite make it that high in the draft.

And in all honesty the other good thing with trading Zion and getting a top 3 pick is all those guys fit with the current roster. Again Im not the biggest fan of Jabari as a 5 in the NBA and I think Chet is years away from being able to play the 5. But they all fit perfectly with Jonas as the 5. With Jonas locked up for the next 2 years, might be just the perfect amount of time to see if either guy fills out and can handle being the main 5, or just finding another 5 to pair with them (which would be far easier to do than finding a 5 that pairs with Zion). But ya if the lineup going forward would be

Jonas/Hayes
(Chet/Jabari)/Herb
BI/Snell-Murphy
(Griffin/Mathurin)/preferably a FA guard
CJ/Graham or whoever

That would be an exciting team going forward. I think with Jonas and CJ to go with BI. You're looking at a team that can be a playoff team. Then CJ and Jonas both have their contracts ending 2 more seasons from now. You can either hope to resign them if they're still playing at a high level, or be cool with moving on with BI and the 2 young guys.

That would be a pretty ideal refresh from the whole Zion era.

For some reference Hawks traded Luka #3 for #5 & a future first. Of course Hawks had specific interest in Trey to try & capitalize in trading down. Where NO's don't necessarily have to trade as high as #3 for someone like Mathurin who Draft net has going around 6th. I don't know what it would take to grease a trade but --

2022 Laker 9-10 pick + any combination of

Lakers 23 RTS
Lakers 24 unprotected
Bucks 24 RTS
Bucks 26 RTS
Bucks 27 unprotected
+ All of NO future own

Having the Lakers 24 & their current state I'd offer up NO's 24 unprotected & one of the Bucks picks with the potential Laker 22 (9-10). There's only so many roster spots open that consolidation is almost necessary.

Where do you think Laker 22 (9-10), Lakers 24 unprotected, NO's 24 unprotected could take them ?

If you prefer Chet, Jonas would be a 2 yr development stop gap if necessary.

Jonas / Zion traded for Chet with Hemangomez as added insurance
Hayes / Nance
BI / Snell-Murphy
Herb / Lakers #10, pick consolidation trade for Griffin/Mathurin
CJ / Alvarado-+

Still leaving LA 23 RTS + all the Buck FRP's . Retention of the LA 24 pick would be the ideal situation however. So I'd take the route of offering up 2 NO's FRP's one unprotected & one protected in order to retain the Laker pick. Reason being, keeping both LA picks allows NO's the avenue to contend while hoping LA fails... where they can possibly over the next 2 seasons land a future PG replacement for CJ while trying to contend..

NO's scouts will have to determine which of Chet or Smith would pair best with Herb at the 4. I had Smith as the better fit with Zion but without, Chet does raise the defensive ceiling of the team with less need for a stretch 5, no Zion in the post. Of course having Jonas for the next couple yrs helps bridge a development gap if Chet needs to gain strength/weight...

It's hard to imagine but that scenario creates a healthier cap situation & with the picks still remaining several other avenues to continue to improve.. including another big trade, if necessary..
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#65 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 3, 2022 1:22 am

JHFVF07 wrote:I dont know. But I believe that the only team trading a top3 pick for Zion is NYK.

On the trade board Houston fans seemed interested in giving a top 3 pick & Green for Zion, when I posted his availability.. One Houston poster came in & said in reality, they would have to add another FRP to that deal.. I liked the offer... but would prefer to trade Zion out of the division if Knicks could land top 3 & he's made available.

I also think Griff could leverage the Eastern teams to NY's rumored interest, true or not.

NY are 1-9 in their last 10, currently holding the 8th pick & fading.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#66 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 3, 2022 1:38 am

Knicks currently up 11 on Philly with 4 mins remaining to the half.

They've also put up 54 pts ... .
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#67 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 3, 2022 2:06 am

The Knicks who are 1-9 in their last 10 games with the 24th ranked offense just put up 62 first half pts against Philly's defense.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#68 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 3, 2022 3:45 am

Pels now a game & a half out of 9th. Another 30 pt blow out win holding Kings to under a 100 but it wasn't perfect. NO's need to do a better job on the defensive glass, they giving up to many offensive rebounds..

Portland hanging tough against the Suns, down 1 end of first.

Lets go Portland.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#69 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Mar 3, 2022 5:34 am

I know it's just the Kings, but tonight's game is exactly how I hoped this team would look after the CJ trade. The Jazz game is going to be a nice measuring test for how good this unit is really playing.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#70 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 3, 2022 3:35 pm

Need some help with the value. (Conceptually)

Lakers trade - (Westbrook, 27 unprotected) for (Randle, Rose, Burks)

Knicks trade - (Randle, Rose, Burks, 22 top 4 pick, Knicks 23 unprotected, Knicks 24 RTS, Lakers 27 unprotected)
for
(Zion, Westbrook)

NO's trade - (Zion) for (11m TE, Knicks 22 top 4, Knicks 23 unprotected, Knicks 24 RTS, Lakers 27 unprotected)

NO's pick cache post trade -

2022 Lakers 1-10 protected, Knicks landed top 4

2023 Knicks unprotected, Lakers RTS

2024 Lakers unprotected, Knicks RTS, Bucks RTS

2025 Bucks unprotected

2026 Bucks RTS

2027 Bucks unprotected

If no lotto luck 22 - Consolidate some combination of those FPR's to trade into the top 4.

(Chet/Smith) - Jonas/Hermangomez
Herb - Hayes/Nance
(Griffin/Mathurin) - Snell/Murphy
BI - Naji/Graham
CJ - Alvarado/Kira

With the 11m TE created in trade, resign Snell who's played a great 3&D role. The team listed above still has considerable pick value to either add through the draft or consolidate for another considerable talent, if needed. The 2 top 4 picks add 2 high upside pieces that fit the roster both offensively, defensively better than Zion does IMO. It also benefits the cap health going from a Zion max contract to 2 rookie scale players with less injury/risk involved. Also adding quality depth & additional pick value for a healthy future/options.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#71 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 3, 2022 3:47 pm

A trade alternative moot, if either one or both NO 2 lotto tickets luck into the top 4. Which, while slim, a possibility.

Don't know how any NO fan can't be excited about all the possibilities this team has going forward..

Me personally, I'd take front a move ZIon for a big return centered around one of the upside big men in this draft, regardless of Zion's health status & availability. I'd easily trade out of that potential long term risk & contract knowing full well Zion could be/remain the best player moved in trade for the rest of his career, long or short.

IMO That balanced NO's team is both good now with a high ceiling to be better, it has a healthier cap situation, a large pick cache to still improve, far less risk & none to curtail too.

Get on board or get off.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#72 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Mar 3, 2022 4:40 pm

Whole Truth wrote:A trade alternative moot, if either one or both NO 2 lotto tickets luck into the top 4. Which, while slim, a possibility.

Don't know how any NO fan can't be excited about all the possibilities this team has going forward..

Me personally, I'd take front a move ZIon for a big return centered around one of the upside big men in this draft, regardless of Zion's health status & availability. I'd easily trade out of that potential long term risk & contract knowing full well Zion could be/remain the best player moved in trade for the rest of his career, long or short.

IMO That balanced NO's team is both good now with a high ceiling to be better, it has a healthier cap situation, a large pick cache to still improve, far less risk & none to curtail too.

Get on board or get off.

I just think a lot revolves around what happens with that Knicks pick. Because I really dont see any other small market teams willing to use a top 3-4 pick on Zion at the moment. There are two things happening in NY at the moment which are good for the potential Zion trade. It looks like RJ is taking that next step (he's been playing really well lately) and the Knicks are losing a ton of games. So a much better chance at a better pick and the much better chance of them wanting to build around RJ. No better way to do that than get Zion. Zion is a win win for NY at the moment, you get to make your guy really happy with bringing his best friend in and Zion has the potential to be their franchise guy.

I just think a lot of it really depends on just where that pick ends up. I think obviously the best case scenario is it ends up top 2. I think that makes things pretty easy. If it ends up top 4 still pretty good chance of making it work (Pels could just use some pics to trade up into the top 2). Past that things just get pretty murky in my opinion. I think it gets a lot harder to trade up into that top 2 spots, and the value the Pels are getting back for Zion starts to drop.

Dont get me wrong, still could get done. Just things would be a lot easier the closer that NY pick is to the top 2 picks the easier this thing is.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#73 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 3, 2022 7:55 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:A trade alternative moot, if either one or both NO 2 lotto tickets luck into the top 4. Which, while slim, a possibility.

Get on board or get off.

I just think a lot revolves around what happens with that Knicks pick. Because I really dont see any other small market teams willing to use a top 3-4 pick on Zion at the moment. There are two things happening in NY at the moment which are good for the potential Zion trade. It looks like RJ is taking that next step (he's been playing really well lately) and the Knicks are losing a ton of games. So a much better chance at a better pick and the much better chance of them wanting to build around RJ. No better way to do that than get Zion. Zion is a win win for NY at the moment, you get to make your guy really happy with bringing his best friend in and Zion has the potential to be their franchise guy.

I just think a lot of it really depends on just where that pick ends up. I think obviously the best case scenario is it ends up top 2. I think that makes things pretty easy. If it ends up top 4 still pretty good chance of making it work (Pels could just use some pics to trade up into the top 2). Past that things just get pretty murky in my opinion. I think it gets a lot harder to trade up into that top 2 spots, and the value the Pels are getting back for Zion starts to drop.

Dont get me wrong, still could get done. Just things would be a lot easier the closer that NY pick is to the top 2 picks the easier this thing is.

Absolutely. IMO any team interested in Zion, the base return would have to be one of Chet or Smith headlining the packaged deal..

Ideally one of the high ceiling big men IMO would be preferable but for argument sake, lets say Knicks land the 3rd pick & Chet, Smith are off the board 1/2.

Would you still trade Zion for a package around the 3rd pick Ivey or Griffin + ? & if so, which of Ivey or Griffin would u take with that pick ?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#74 » by Duke4life831 » Thu Mar 3, 2022 8:18 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Get on board or get off.

Absolutely. IMO any team interested in Zion, the base return would have to be one of Chet or Smith headlining the packaged deal..

Ideally one of the high ceiling big men IMO would be preferable but for argument sake, lets say Knicks land the 3rd pick & Chet, Smith are off the board 1/2.

Would you still trade Zion for a package around the 3rd pick Ivey or Griffin + ? & if so, which of Ivey or Griffin would u take with that pick ?

Nope.

Again Im all for the idea of using some future draft picks and that Lakers pick (this is with the hypothetical it ends up being a top 10) to trade up to get AJ or Mathurin. I love the idea of either one of those guys being the 2nd 1st round pick. But they arent good enough to be the guys you get back for a Zion trade.

Im a fan of Ivey, but again not a guy I would be willing to take as the MAIN guy you get back for Zion. Plus not in love with the Ivey fit with CJ and Ingram to be completely honest.

Say the NY pick ends up being 3-5. Im only making that deal if Im the Pels, if its a 3 team trade and that 3rd team is the team they're trading up to get Jabari or Chet.

If that isnt happening. Then Im holding Zion during the summer, wait until he plays next year. Then Im taking best offer possible before the deadline for him. Because in my opinion, it feels like all the writing is on the wall and I think the idea of Zion being in NO long term are all but gone. But ya Im only trading him this summer if Im getting one of those top 2 guys in the draft. Because both have high potential and fit perfectly with the current team.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#75 » by Whole Truth » Thu Mar 3, 2022 10:53 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Nope.

Again Im all for the idea of using some future draft picks and that Lakers pick (this is with the hypothetical it ends up being a top 10) to trade up to get AJ or Mathurin. I love the idea of either one of those guys being the 2nd 1st round pick. But they arent good enough to be the guys you get back for a Zion trade.

Im a fan of Ivey, but again not a guy I would be willing to take as the MAIN guy you get back for Zion. Plus not in love with the Ivey fit with CJ and Ingram to be completely honest.

Say the NY pick ends up being 3-5. Im only making that deal if Im the Pels, if its a 3 team trade and that 3rd team is the team they're trading up to get Jabari or Chet.

If that isnt happening. Then Im holding Zion during the summer, wait until he plays next year. Then Im taking best offer possible before the deadline for him. Because in my opinion, it feels like all the writing is on the wall and I think the idea of Zion being in NO long term are all but gone. But ya Im only trading him this summer if Im getting one of those top 2 guys in the draft. Because both have high potential and fit perfectly with the current team.

We continue to see eye to eye. Outside of lucking into a top 4 pick. I have NO's potential offseason down like this.

1. Luck factor for potential top 4 pick/s, top 10 pick

2. Zion traded to NY/other for Chet/Smith ++

3. FRP picks consolidated to trade in or up for Griffin or Mathurin depending on whether NO's luck into Chet or Smith without trading Zion.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#76 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Mar 4, 2022 5:33 am

Well both the Lakers and Knicks are in a complete free fall. It really does appear that the Lakers have completely just chalked this season up for a loss, they're visibly quitting during games now. With each passing night it looks more and more likely that Lakers pick is going to be a top 10 pick.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#77 » by Whole Truth » Fri Mar 4, 2022 12:33 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:Well both the Lakers and Knicks are in a complete free fall. It really does appear that the Lakers have completely just chalked this season up for a loss, they're visibly quitting during games now. With each passing night it looks more and more likely that Lakers pick is going to be a top 10 pick.

Clippers have played LA 4 times now & in their first 3 combined wins, they won by a total of 8 points. Last night, 30... LA is not just losing games.

More than the fact LA lost again & lost big... since the Allstar break where I posted Lebron's threat to management for not taking action.. Lebron was a team worse -28 vs NO's & he was -27 again last night, with the next worse starter/player Reeves -19... I wouldn't say it's LA giving up but Lebron knowing this team is going nowhere, sending a clear message. They actually took a 6pt lead from a deficit, when Lebron was subbed in, only for Clippers to go on a 10-12pt run to retake & never relinquish.

Their supposed best player was their worse player again & by a considerable margin. Is it fatigue catching up from the 37yo playing heavy mins all yr ? is it Lebron sending a message to his GM post trade deadline ? Is it him/them just giving up ?. What ever it is, that pick is looking better by the day.

When I was posting on the Memphis board & they made this trade, I didn't like the protection they put on this pick & for good reason. I see NO's fans saying Griff should have put more protection on the pick, so for some reference... Memphis got a GS 1-4 protected pick with declining protection for taking on 17m in salary, where with this NO's trade they dumped Adams & Bledsoe 40m or so dead weight for only a top 10 protected pick that turns into 2 2nds. Memphis/like others, didn't see LA collapsing like this. NO's should give Griff his due for not making that pick only lotto protected 1-4..

(10 Williams) for (17 Murphy)

(Jonas better fit) for (getting off Bledsoe/Adams contracts)

(possibly 2 2nds) for dumping considerable salary/savings to sign a FA

Now sitting a game out with LA set to face GS, the young NO's team have to just stay focused & hungry, don't look beyond the next game, half, quarter, possession... & take nothing for granted.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#78 » by Whole Truth » Fri Mar 4, 2022 12:41 pm

Soooo.. with the power of positivity. Who we taking in the 8-10 range?
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#79 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Mar 4, 2022 5:45 pm

Whole Truth wrote:Soooo.. with the power of positivity. Who we taking in the 8-10 range?

Regardless of the Zion situation, I would still be down trading up to get Griffin or Mathurin. It shouldn't take too much draft capital to jump up a couple spots outside of the top 5. I think this roster with Zion or without it, those two are still the best options for the team. With the Laker pick this is pretty much how I look at it

Tier 1:
Griffin
Mathurin

Tier 2:
Davis
Sharpe

If that Laker pick turns into one of them, I call it a massive win.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#80 » by Duke4life831 » Fri Mar 4, 2022 5:52 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:Well both the Lakers and Knicks are in a complete free fall. It really does appear that the Lakers have completely just chalked this season up for a loss, they're visibly quitting during games now. With each passing night it looks more and more likely that Lakers pick is going to be a top 10 pick.

Clippers have played LA 4 times now & in their first 3 combined wins, they won by a total of 8 points. Last night, 30... LA is not just losing games.

More than the fact LA lost again & lost big... since the Allstar break where I posted Lebron's threat to management for not taking action.. Lebron was a team worse -28 vs NO's & he was -27 again last night, with the next worse starter/player Reeves -19... I wouldn't say it's LA giving up but Lebron knowing this team is going nowhere, sending a clear message. They actually took a 6pt lead from a deficit, when Lebron was subbed in, only for Clippers to go on a 10-12pt run to retake & never relinquish.

Their supposed best player was their worse player again & by a considerable margin. Is it fatigue catching up from the 37yo playing heavy mins all yr ? is it Lebron sending a message to his GM post trade deadline ? Is it him/them just giving up ?. What ever it is, that pick is looking better by the day.

When I was posting on the Memphis board & they made this trade, I didn't like the protection they put on this pick & for good reason. I see NO's fans saying Griff should have put more protection on the pick, so for some reference... Memphis got a GS 1-4 protected pick with declining protection for taking on 17m in salary, where with this NO's trade they dumped Adams & Bledsoe 40m or so dead weight for only a top 10 protected pick that turns into 2 2nds. Memphis/like others, didn't see LA collapsing like this. NO's should give Griff his due for not making that pick only lotto protected 1-4..

(10 Williams) for (17 Murphy)

(Jonas better fit) for (getting off Bledsoe/Adams contracts)

(possibly 2 2nds) for dumping considerable salary/savings to sign a FA

Now sitting a game out with LA set to face GS, the young NO's team have to just stay focused & hungry, don't look beyond the next game, half, quarter, possession... & take nothing for granted.

Yup Ive been critical of Griffin for pretty much his 3 years here. But ya I will give him his credit for the protections on this trade. I think it could've been very easy for him to just accept a worse protection on the trade. But that 1-10 looks like it might end up being the perfect protection to put on it.

I think with the combination of this team looking like they really do enjoy playing for each other. They play hard for Green. And as long as they stay away from that tiny backcourt combination, they're a solid team that can win games. That should be enough to get them into the play-in.

A little bit of a blood bath of a schedule though coming up

Jazz
Nuggets
Grizz

It begins to ease up some after that. If the Pels can go 1-2 in the next 3, I would consider that a win.

Return to New Orleans Pelicans