Road to a Championship start here, 2022 Draft.

Moderator: bwgood77

Whole Truth
Head Coach
And1: 3,688

Re: Road to a Championship start here, 2022 Draft. 

Post#41 » by Whole Truth » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:39 pm

Duke4life831 wrote: My big question is, is the team and Zion friction as bad as it currently seems publicity? If so how long has it been like this behind the scenes? If it is as bad as it seems and it's been like this for awhile, they really should've gone after Simmons. Simmons is a much better piece long term to build around with Ingram than CJ. I'm beginning to fear that the CJ trade was a last minute hail Mary to try and convince Zion to stay. Also I guess another thing to think about with the Simmons thing is, would he even be willing to play for NO and how long until he demands a trade?

And ya when it comes to the current roster. Man what a disappointment it has been so far after the trade. I really thought they were going to go bigger and like you said it would be CJ replacing Graham. I really felt like it was set up for that with how they were using Ingram.

In all honesty I think starting the Graham/CJ lineup is probably the worst thing they can be doing. Obviously this would be much easier if Nance wasn't hurt. But ya id rather send CJ to the bench and have either Murphy or Naji in the starting lineup. Hell I even think Temple in their would be a better idea, even with how bad he's played. Or even go with a twin tower starting lineup with Hayes out there.

I just don't think you can have a starting backcourt of those two tiny guards that play zero defense. Again id rather them just go big then basically say it's up to Ingram, CJ and Jonas to figure out the scoring aspect.

Unfortunately, regarding Zion's relationship behind the scenes, it's not a question I would have any answers to.

My response to all this however, would be to not cater to anyone, regardless. Even in life, when has cow towing ever worked out ?. Never, it just prolongs the inevitable truth. If there is an issue, NO's despite all the failed hail Mary's thrown this offseason, are far from being in a bad position.

If there is issues besides his health, I'd take front & trade Zion for a based package of a top 3 pick & a 2 way wing.., which I think would round out this roster nicely. .. NO's could also use Graham as salary filler to dump his fit/contract... Who know's, maybe Knicks luck into a top 3 pick with their rumored interest & NO'scould leverage rival competition. If I had to guess, it looks like the money behind Zion want him in NY/big market & it's not so much his family as rumored..

Knicks - 22 top 4 pick, 23 right to swap, 24 pick + expiring contract for Graham, don't take back any dead weight salary from NY.

This not factoring potential lottery luck with NO's currently holding 2 lotto tickets. Get lucky & find themselves with a nice pick in this draft, without trade... Life is funny like that.

I also see some OKC fans seem to think/believe SGA might be made available this offseason. Zion's potential could grease that kind of a trade, even if it's not a direct trade.

If SGA is made available using Zion's potential = (Jonas/Herb/BI/SGA/CJ)

Then imagine having the luck to have one maybe both :D of their lottery tickets landing top 4 where they can draft a future big man where Jonas would fill a 2yr development gap.. possibly pushed to the bench.

Jonas - (top 4 Chet or Smith)
Herb - (Hayes)
BI - ?
SGA - ?
CJ - ?

I think NO's GM could manuever himself out of this current mess into a much healtheir situatin in the offseason. All NO's have to do is focus on passing LA in the standings, which is luuking better with news of Lebron's dissapointment with their trade deadline results.

Step 1.. take Graham out the starting rotation.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#42 » by Whole Truth » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:32 pm

Chet's 3pt shot at it's apex is said to be unguardable because of his elite length. However, that same length has him gathering at his knees, where he can be stripped by someone with stubs for arms. His shot release is slow, especially in relation to Smith's. Most of the 3's "I've" seen him take are mostly open looks, probably why he's averaging 3 a game, whereas Smith is hitting 40% on 6 APG with guards up on him because he has that propensity & reputation to shoot... His catch, release is higher & considerably quicker. I also like that he already know how to use that skill to draw fouls.

So despite shooting a higher volume & lower efficiency from 3. I have Smith over Chet in their ability to space the floor. Combined with the fact Smith's preference is to play outside & there's no reluctance to shoot, an ideal pairing for Zion.

Chet's elite length, court vision, BBIQ & timing, give him IMO the clearly higher ceiling but his frame & strength has me preferring Smith's floor.

When I look at Smith's 6'10" frame, I see a more fluid athlete, that still has some growing to do. I have him projected as a stretch 5 in the NBA, able to gain strength while retaining the fluidity & versatility to defend the perimeter. NBA comp, being 3J. Who himself took a couple yrs to transition to the 5 with Jonas as the physical stop gap. Conveniently, NO's has Jonas for a couple more seasons too.. to help bridge that development gap, where Smith's game like 3J at the 4 also compliments Jonas post game.

Wiith Chet, I see a more fragile frame that will not be as easy to gain strength & if he could, also keep his current mobility. The main question being, can his body hold up to the NBA physicality & grind ? People have drawn reference to Mobley an apt comparison because of how slender they are but if you watch their joints, Mobley has a more solid build. Then consider Cavs are also playing Mobley not solely as their 5 but in a very big starting rotation with Allen defensively in the post helping him bang/box out for rebounds.

NO's having drafted Davis should have an idea of what to expect .. As that would be my comp for Chet.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 65,051

Post#43 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:43 am

And look at that, just like we were talking about on here.

Put the ball in Ingram's hands, let him be the primary guy. Not just talking about scoring but just the main guy for the offense. Also give up on that stupid tiny starting backcourt. That is what they did tonight and it turned out to be a really solid performance all together. And if Tony Snell can give them just 75% of what he gave tonight, that is a solid wing player they can play going forward off the bench for 15-18 minutes.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#44 » by Whole Truth » Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:57 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:And look at that, just like we were talking about on here.

Put the ball in Ingram's hands, let him be the primary guy. Not just talking about scoring but just the main guy for the offense. Also give up on that stupid tiny starting backcourt. That is what they did tonight and it turned out to be a really solid performance all together. And if Tony Snell can give them just 75% of what he gave tonight, that is a solid wing player they can play going forward off the bench for 15-18 minutes.

Greene did so many good things last night it would be hard to list. Staggering BI & CJ in controlling the offense was one of the nice new wrinkles. Both units had much better offensive & defensive balance. There was also a more concerted effort for the team to crash the boards than usual.

Naji brought some great defensive hustle & intensity, shame he missed a couple B2B open 3's that helped Suns put together a little run to close the early 11 point lead. He had a good showing otherwise.

Pel's didn't even play a tight game in beating the best team in the West.. they missed FT's, they missed open 3's & understandably had 4-5 weak miss communication TO's with the new players/lineups... Knowing your teammates tendencies is such an underrated aspect of team building. So many GM's shakeup their roster/coaches with little patience for error & growth.

CJ on multiple occasions settled the young team down with his ability to hit well defended timely shots. He kept the game from shifting momentum & the Suns from going on extended runs on their home court.

With how they looked last night, you almost forget, it's a team missing their best player it was built for.. I hope & can't wait to see what this team would look like with Zion.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#45 » by Whole Truth » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:14 pm

Lakers lose again to a more injury riddled Clippers squad. How nice would it be for that pick, to a worse be top 10.

IMO NO's 2 biggest needs is a defensive PF/C/stretch big & a 3D SG. I don't know what's going on with Murphy to say if they have that 3D wing on roster already or not but landing top 10 would put them in range to draft another.

Imagine.. how good would this teams future look with the opportunity to land either Chet or Smith top 3 having 2 lottery tickets & or Zion as possible trade bait.

(Chet/Smith)/Jonas
Zion/Hayes
BI -
3D -
CJ -

The base of this team was seen last night beating the best team in the West despite not playing a clean game. No Zion, 2 potential lotto tickets, 2 LA future firsts that are looking better by the day, 2 future Buck picks & + all their future own. Most teams have spent that capital to get to where NO's are currently with Zion, BI & CJ. Theoretically & realistically, they have the pieces to add a top 3 pick, a big trade target & Zion to this current team.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#46 » by Duke4life831 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:41 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:And look at that, just like we were talking about on here.

Greene did so many good things last night it would be hard to list. Staggering BI & CJ in controlling the offense was one of the nice new wrinkles. Both units had much better offensive & defensive balance. There was also a more concerted effort for the team to crash the boards than usual.

Naji brought some great defensive hustle & intensity, shame he missed a couple B2B open 3's that helped Suns put together a little run to close the early 11 point lead. He had a good showing otherwise.

Pel's didn't even play a tight game in beating the best team in the West.. they missed FT's, they missed open 3's & understandably had 4-5 weak miss communication TO's with the new players/lineups... Knowing your teammates tendencies is such an underrated aspect of team building. So many GM's shakeup their roster/coaches with little patience for error & growth.

CJ on multiple occasions settled the young team down with his ability to hit well defended timely shots. He kept the game from shifting momentum & the Suns from going on extended runs on their home court.

With how they looked last night, you almost forget, it's a team missing their best player it was built for.. I hope & can't wait to see what this team would look like with Zion.

Yup. This is why I liked the trade when it happened. I just hated how they were trying to use the new team. It was just so frustrating to watch because the problems were so obvious. Thankfully it took them only 5 games to figure it out (though again it was obvious from the day they made the trade on what they would've been doing). Just hope those 5 games didn't cost them to much when it comes to trying to make the play in game.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#47 » by Whole Truth » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:19 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Yup. This is why I liked the trade when it happened. I just hated how they were trying to use the new team. It was just so frustrating to watch because the problems were so obvious. Thankfully it took them only 5 games to figure it out (though again it was obvious from the day they made the trade on what they would've been doing). Just hope those 5 games didn't cost them to much when it comes to trying to make the play in game.

Green has been great & very flexible to learning from his mistakes, where other head coaches are head strong in their set ways, never wrong. We don't know the human element of his decision making in not rushing to bench Graham.

IMO, NO's still have to address their defensive issues. If Zion is returning as much as I want Jonas to succeed ... they will need to get a defensive, stretch C to compliment the roster & a 3D SG... Naji missed 2 wide open 3's within a couple possessions that contributed to NO''s losing their early 11 point lead... A capable threat drowns out that noise.

Fate is a bitch.. I was posting on the Memphis board the last 3 yrs during their short rebuild & they were hoping to convert their owed draft pick when they lucked into drafting Morant #2, you never know. One more draft slot, their alternative reality is handing the 9th pick to Boston, which they debated & wanted to do because 4-8 = weak prospects, fall off from top 3, etc...

What's done is done, the chips will fall where they may. Hopefully at draft time, I'll be back here discussing with you/others, which of Chet or Smith NO's should take :D , you never know.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#48 » by Whole Truth » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:30 pm

NO's beat LA in their first head to head of 3, 2 games will separate the 7th pick NO's with the 11th pick Lakers, where both Knicks & Portland could pull to within a game, separating the 9th pick from the 11th.

You can almost taste their top 10 pick.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#49 » by Duke4life831 » Sun Feb 27, 2022 6:23 pm

Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Green has been great & very flexible to learning from his mistakes, where other head coaches are head strong in their set ways, never wrong. We don't know the human element of his decision making in not rushing to bench Graham.

IMO, NO's still have to address their defensive issues. If Zion is returning as much as I want Jonas to succeed ... they will need to get a defensive, stretch C to compliment the roster & a 3D SG... Naji missed 2 wide open 3's within a couple possessions that contributed to NO''s losing their early 11 point lead... A capable threat drowns out that noise.

Fate is a bitch.. I was posting on the Memphis board the last 3 yrs during their short rebuild & they were hoping to convert their owed draft pick when they lucked into drafting Morant #2, you never know. One more draft slot, their alternative reality is handing the 9th pick to Boston, which they debated & wanted to do because 4-8 = weak prospects, fall off from top 3, etc...

What's done is done, the chips will fall where they may. Hopefully at draft time, I'll be back here discussing with you/others, which of Chet or Smith NO's should take :D , you never know.

Yup. I think Green starting Graham/NAW to start the season was a mistake (was saying that all summer) and obviously thought starting Graham and CJ would be a mistake. So ya ideally he doesnt make those mistakes so he doesnt have to make the adjustments haha, but ya like you said, at least he is making the right adjustments. Also the guys seem to be playing hard for him. That is probably saying more than what we've seen from the previous two coaches.

And ya I think the team is making the proper adjustments for this current team (no Zion). I like the Jonas fit with Ingram and everyone else, hell I even dont mind them going 2 classic bigs, for what they're doing it works. But once/if Zion returns a massive wrench gets thrown into this. Having a guy that is so dependent on scoring in the paint, you ideally want to pair him up with a big that is a legit stretch option. I know Jonas started off hot from 3 to start the season, but he is sub 30% from 3 on low volume the last 36 games. Jonas is much more of a situational 3pt shooter, not a legit stretch big. Jonas is Jonas because of his ability to dominate the paint. That just isnt a great mix with Zion.

Im very curious what they do this summer. Do they try and get a vet 3&D guy, or do they try to trade back into the draft? Im obviously bias, but AJ Griffin would be a ridiculous fit with this team. 6'6-6'7 with a 7+ wingspan and already a good defender. And he is a legit sharpshooter. And he will be physically ready for the league as well. That size and two way versatility would be great to go with this team.

And I guess the big question is do they still feel like Zion is in their long term plans. Its going to be a very interesting summer for them.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#50 » by Whole Truth » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:35 pm

Duke4life831 wrote:
Whole Truth wrote:
Duke4life831 wrote:

Yup. I think Green starting Graham/NAW to start the season was a mistake (was saying that all summer) and obviously thought starting Graham and CJ would be a mistake. So ya ideally he doesnt make those mistakes so he doesnt have to make the adjustments haha, but ya like you said, at least he is making the right adjustments. Also the guys seem to be playing hard for him. That is probably saying more than what we've seen from the previous two coaches.

And ya I think the team is making the proper adjustments for this current team (no Zion). I like the Jonas fit with Ingram and everyone else, hell I even dont mind them going 2 classic bigs, for what they're doing it works. But once/if Zion returns a massive wrench gets thrown into this. Having a guy that is so dependent on scoring in the paint, you ideally want to pair him up with a big that is a legit stretch option. I know Jonas started off hot from 3 to start the season, but he is sub 30% from 3 on low volume the last 36 games. Jonas is much more of a situational 3pt shooter, not a legit stretch big. Jonas is Jonas because of his ability to dominate the paint. That just isnt a great mix with Zion.

Im very curious what they do this summer. Do they try and get a vet 3&D guy, or do they try to trade back into the draft? Im obviously bias, but AJ Griffin would be a ridiculous fit with this team. 6'6-6'7 with a 7+ wingspan and already a good defender. And he is a legit sharpshooter. And he will be physically ready for the league as well. That size and two way versatility would be great to go with this team.

And I guess the big question is do they still feel like Zion is in their long term plans. Its going to be a very interesting summer for them.

That is the question, what is NO's intention with Zion.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#51 » by Whole Truth » Sun Feb 27, 2022 8:47 pm

Watching the Knick/Philly match. This league is a joke for real competition.

Embiid & Harden should just lie on the floor & cry for help, lol... 25 or so gifted trips to the line a game between the 2, easy.

I watched Embiid on one play, get away with a hook, then travel, only to get bailed out of a well defended double team, with a trip to the line, lol. Absolute joke.

Later in the game ESPN commentator, I think Embiid travelled there, lol... you sure about that, lol
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#52 » by Whole Truth » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:35 pm

Jefferson's commentary made last night NO's win over the Lakers all that more enjoyable.

Lebron's former teammate started out like he wanted to root/support his former teammate but ended in ridicule when they started turning the ball over at a high rate.., Jefferson's comments over the TO's made a timely Jordan's full court pass/TO that sailed 10 ft into the stands, all that much funnier. LMAO. I couldn't done laugh with how his commentary set up that unfortunate TO, lol.

My posts above about Lebron being upset post trade deadline about the inaction of their GM... Lebron didn't start giving a **** till he got hit in the face early 4th that spurred a little run for them. He looks intent on sending a message to their front office which bolds well for NO's pick situation.

Wouldn't surprise me to see him walk & LA have to contemplate trading Davis to rebuild with NO's owning their right to swap 23 & 24 pick. Some luck.. NO's could be in an enviable position of adding a top 4 pick, Zion, Laker 23 swap & 24 unprotected to this current roster, which already looks like they could makes some noise, as is.

(Chat/Smith) - Jonas
Zion - Hayes
Herb - Snell/Murphy
BI - Naji/Graham
CJ - Alvarado

+ Lakers 23 right to swap, Lakers 24, 2 FRP Buck picks + all their future own... Unlike OKC's pick stash, NO's only have one starting roster spot to address with the emergence of Herb. Land one of the upside big men in this big man draft, then use the 23/24 potential Laker opportunity picks to draft a PG/SG prospect to eventually replace the vet CJ as he ages/mentors his eventual replacement.

Pelicans - 2023/24

Chet/Smith - Jonas
Zion - Hayes
Herb - Snell/Murphy
BI - (23/24 PG/SG Lakers pick) - Naji/Graham
CJ - (23/24, PG/SG Lakers pick) - Alvarado

In the event of no luck & or if Zion is not in the teams future plans. A top 3 pick, the base of a potential Zion return. IMO absolutely nothing wrong with where NO''s are currently at. Zion or no Zion.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#53 » by Whole Truth » Tue Mar 1, 2022 6:30 pm

Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#54 » by Whole Truth » Wed Mar 2, 2022 12:25 am

Nothing is ever guaranteed but Washington is playing Detroit & LA is playing Dallas tonight.

These matchups could see LA take sole position of the 11th pick. & move 3 teams trailing to within 2 games of them.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#55 » by Whole Truth » Wed Mar 2, 2022 2:36 am

Close call but Wiz pull it out.

Lakers in sole possession of the 11th pick, set to face Dallas.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#56 » by Whole Truth » Wed Mar 2, 2022 4:15 am

Bigger than the fact LA is down 17 with a minute left in the half..

They not getting the whistle they normally get. Huge.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#57 » by Whole Truth » Wed Mar 2, 2022 4:41 am

Dallas choking to start the 3rd.. 3pt game off a 13-1 LA run.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#58 » by Whole Truth » Wed Mar 2, 2022 5:47 am

Spoke too soon on the officiating,

Dallas pull out the win though, thankfully.

Best part, it was off the back of a James TO & air ball 3, in the final minute.

Wizards move a game up on LA & all of Pels, Knicks & Portland pull to within 2 games.

Unfortunately - Knicks face the Sixers & Portland face the Suns tomorrow.
Whole Truth
Head Coach

Post#59 » by Whole Truth » Wed Mar 2, 2022 10:52 am

NBA draft net has all of Grifffin, Mathurin, Davis going in the 4-8 range & anyone of them would look good for NO's now that they have traded for CJ.

Davis going to Portland via NO's pick.

Unfortunately, no team is stepping up with the Lakers 3-7 in their last 10. Worse yet, the best team they face in the next 3 (Clippers, GS, Spurs) GS/Curry is struggling.

Next 3 games of the teams within 2 games of the Lakers

Knicks - Sixers / Suns / Clippers
Portland - Suns / Wolves / Wolves
Pelicans - Kings /Jazz / Nuggets

:nonono:
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#60 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Mar 2, 2022 6:52 pm

Whole Truth wrote:NBA draft net has all of Grifffin, Mathurin, Davis going in the 4-8 range & anyone of them would look good for NO's now that they have traded for CJ.

Davis going to Portland via NO's pick.

Unfortunately, no team is stepping up with the Lakers 3-7 in their last 10. Worse yet, the best team they face in the next 3 (Clippers, GS, Spurs) GS/Curry is struggling.

Next 3 games of the teams within 2 games of the Lakers

Knicks - Sixers / Suns / Clippers
Portland - Suns / Wolves / Wolves
Pelicans - Kings /Jazz / Nuggets

:nonono:

I dont think that is the easiest next 3 for the Lakers. Clippers are a team that plays hard and that alone gives them a significant edge over this Lakers team that is reeling. Spurs is a young team that still is kind of fighting for that final play in spot. GS hasnt had Klay the last couple games and he should be back and they can flip a switch any game really. Plus ya the Lakers are just playing some really bad basketball, they can lose to anyone at the moment.

Not the biggest fan of Davis in NO because his lack of shooting. I mean if somehow the Pels end up being able to grab one of Griffin or Mathurin with the Lakers pick, talk about just the ideal scenario. Those two seem to be the dream scenario for the Pels. 6'6-6'7 athletic wings who can really shoot the ball. Basically exactly what this team needs. Those two would be the top tier in my opinion for the Pels, then Davis on the next tier. Because ya Davis is still a big guard that can defend and while not being a good shooter, should be a solid scorer.

The question to me is, say the Pels get the Lakers pick and its say 9 or 10 and those 3 guards are gone. Keegan Murray has been good this year, especially with his improved 3pt shot. He is a 6'8 wing with solid mobility and a good defender. Another guy to keep an eye on is Shaedon Sharpe. Fantastic athlete, real good shooting form. I can see if the 3 guards from college go in front of him, he could maybe slip to that 9-10 spot. That would be a nice pickup.

Return to New Orleans Pelicans