Re: Offers for Jacque Jones 

Post#4 » by treyZz » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:22 pm

moocow007 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He's that bad huh?

Can't hit for average.
Won't hit for power.
Can't run bases.
Can't throw the ball.

I witnessed 300 pound Carlos Lee turn a single into a double against him yesterday.. Unbelieveable. CARLOS LEE.
HCYanks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2

Post#5 » by HCYanks » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:42 pm

Yeah, you're not gonna get anything but another team's assorted crap back for him... although his decent HR power means you might be able to dupe one of the dumber GMs in the league to give up something of value.
CousinOfDeath
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,260

Post#6 » by CousinOfDeath » Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:29 am

Albert Pujols
suckfish wrote:Reminder: NBA players are stupid.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#7 » by Ex-hippie » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:03 pm

HCYanks wrote:Yeah, you're not gonna get anything but another team's assorted crap back for him... although his decent HR power means you might be able to dupe one of the dumber GMs in the league to give up something of value.

Bill Bavasi is on the line and he'd like to speak with you....
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#8 » by SportsWorld » Mon May 7, 2007 12:56 am

The Angels have shown interest in Jones.
We could trade a minor leaguer and Jones for Ervin Santana.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,434

Post#9 » by trwi7 » Mon May 7, 2007 3:39 am

SportsWorld wrote:We could trade a minor leaguer and Jones for Ervin Santana.

No you couldn't.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by Ex-hippie » Wed May 9, 2007 4:31 pm

SportsWorld wrote:The Angels have shown interest in Jones.
We could trade a minor leaguer and Jones for Ervin Santana.

The Cubs don't have any minor leaguers who are that good. Felix Pie is their best prospect and he's not good enough to land Ervin Santana.
treyZz
Banned User

Post#11 » by treyZz » Sat May 12, 2007 12:29 am

hippie wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

The Cubs don't have any minor leaguers who are that good. Felix Pie is their best prospect and he's not good enough to land Ervin Santana.

Pie > Santana
trwi7
RealGM

Post#12 » by trwi7 » Sat May 12, 2007 1:26 am

treyZz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Pie > Santana

:rofl: :rofl:
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#13 » by Bleeding Green » Sat May 12, 2007 1:37 am

Ervin Santana sucks balls. It's time people realized that. Felix Pie is fantastic.

As for Jones, good luck. He's got good power and he's relatively cheap, but his current numbers don't really help. I'm sure you could get something from the Nationals, but that's the thing--what do the Nationals have besides Ryan Zimmerman?
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.
treyZz
Banned User

Post#14 » by treyZz » Sat May 12, 2007 1:55 am

trwi7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:rofl: :rofl:

I'm not finding this humor in this? Do you even know who Pie is?

Might want to see what he's doing in AAA this season and while you're at check his birth certificate. His resume speaks for itself. Every team he's been on has won a championship besides his AAA team last year and that's because all the pitchers for Iowa were busy getting destroyed in the majors on a terrible Cubs team.

Just turned 22 5 tool CF who hasn't even begun to scratch the surface of his potential > Ervin Santana. Sorry. Santana is a solid young pitcher, but he's not a stud by any means.

Felix Pie AAA #s: .463 / 1 hr / 6rbi / 18runs / 1 sb / .549 obp / 1.134 ops

Not to mention he's probably one of the best OFers I have ever seen.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#15 » by trwi7 » Sat May 12, 2007 2:10 am

treyZz wrote:I'm not finding this humor in this? Do you even know who Pie is?

Yeah he is the top prospect in the Cubs organization.

Might want to see what he's doing in AAA this season and while you're at check his birth certificate.

What about what he did in AAA last season? You know a bigger sample size. Instead of the 41 AB's he has their this year.

His resume speaks for itself. Every team he's been on has won a championship besides his AAA team last year and that's because all the pitchers for Iowa were busy getting destroyed in the majors on a terrible Cubs team.

Yep I bet all those teams won championships just because he was on the team.

Just turned 22 5 tool CF who hasn't even begun to scratch the surface of his potential > Ervin Santana. Sorry. Santana is a solid young pitcher, but he's not a stud by any means.

Solid 24 year old pitcher with good stuff who had a 4.28 ERA in the majors last year in 200+ innings>22 year old CF prospect no matter what his potential is. But I'm a big advocate of building a team around pitching.

Felix Pie AAA #s: .463 / 1 hr / 6rbi / 18runs / 1 sb / .549 obp / 1.134 ops

AAA last year. .283/.341/.451/.792/15 HR's/57 RBI's/17 SB's/11 CS/46 BB's/126 K's.

treyZz
Banned User

Post#16 » by treyZz » Sat May 12, 2007 2:13 am

You forgot to mention he was coming off a brutal ankle injury that slowed him down the whole first half of last season in AAA.

Look at his second half #s in AAA last year.
trwi7
RealGM

Post#17 » by trwi7 » Sat May 12, 2007 4:39 am

treyZz wrote:You forgot to mention he was coming off a brutal ankle injury that slowed him down the whole first half of last season in AAA.

Look at his second half #s in AAA last year.

Look I'm not denying the fact that he's a great prospect, he is, I'd love to have him in the Brewers system. I'm just not convinced he's worth a 24 year old pitcher with good stuff who has proven he can pitch in the big leagues.

The Rondo Show
Analyst
And1: 327

Post#18 » by The Rondo Show » Sat May 12, 2007 11:41 am

trwi7 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Look I'm not denying the fact that he's a great prospect, he is, I'd love to have him in the Brewers system. I'm just not convinced he's worth a 24 year old pitcher with good stuff who has proven he can pitch in the big leagues.
If Santana has proven anything in his sub 400 IP; it is that he is one of the most overrated young pitchers and that he can't pitch away from Angels Stadium (or whatever they **** they call it now). Good luck when he is only getting 1 or 2 starts there instead of half of them.

Well, I suck at doing the code thing. I tried, it didn't work. Anyways, here are the splits.

Home: 34 games, 34 games started 21 wins, 6 losses, 0 saves, 1 CG, 1 shutout, 225.0 IP, 187 hits, 76 earned runs, 17 HR, 68 BB, 157 K's, 3.04 ERA, 1.13 WHIP, .227 BAA

Away: 29 games, 29 starts, 9 wins, 15 losses, 0 saves, 0 CG, 0 shutouts, 154.0 IP, 180 hits, 114 earned runs, 29 HR, 68 BB, 115 K's, 6.66 ERA, 1.61 WHIP, .292 BAA.

Felix Pie > Ervin Santana.
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by Ex-hippie » Tue May 15, 2007 3:19 pm

Whoa, sorry I started this whole thing, then neglected to check back for responses. Pie is a fine prospect but is also a "toolsy" player, not all that different from Corey Patterson when he was coming up.

Santana, I admit, has struggled so far this season, but that's based on a sample that isn't much bigger than the 40 or so at-bats Pie has had. But he is still an established starter and will only get better. He pitched well in his last start, so all that silly talk of demotion will presumably go away.

Really, I was just responding to the laughable suggestion that the Cubs could get Santana for Jacque Jones and "a prospect." Like some kind of throw-in would get it done. The real point was there aren't many prospects who are good enough to make that trade work. Santana is an excellent young pitcher, and he's shown it at the big-league level. He hasn't been a model of consistency (note: Pie won't be, either) but was good enough to win 16 games at age 23.

But I do have to respond to one quote from this thread:

Every team he's been on has won a championship besides his AAA team last year and that's because all the pitchers for Iowa were busy getting destroyed in the majors on a terrible Cubs team.

That reminds me of a quote from Shaquille O'Neal, early in his career when he was playing in Orlando. He said "I've won a championship at every level except college and the pros." Well, yeah, Shaq, we're all real impressed that you won a high school championship.
treyZz
Banned User

Post#20 » by treyZz » Tue May 15, 2007 10:32 pm

hippie wrote:Whoa, sorry I started this whole thing, then neglected to check back for responses. Pie is a fine prospect but is also a "toolsy" player, not all that different from Corey Patterson when he was coming up.

Santana, I admit, has struggled so far this season, but that's based on a sample that isn't much bigger than the 40 or so at-bats Pie has had. But he is still an established starter and will only get better. He pitched well in his last start, so all that silly talk of demotion will presumably go away.

Really, I was just responding to the laughable suggestion that the Cubs could get Santana for Jacque Jones and "a prospect." Like some kind of throw-in would get it done. The real point was there aren't many prospects who are good enough to make that trade work. Santana is an excellent young pitcher, and he's shown it at the big-league level. He hasn't been a model of consistency (note: Pie won't be, either) but was good enough to win 16 games at age 23.

But I do have to respond to one quote from this thread:

Every team he's been on has won a championship besides his AAA team last year and that's because all the pitchers for Iowa were busy getting destroyed in the majors on a terrible Cubs team.

That reminds me of a quote from Shaquille O'Neal, early in his career when he was playing in Orlando. He said "I've won a championship at every level except college and the pros." Well, yeah, Shaq, we're all real impressed that you won a high school championship.

First of all I agree that Santana couldn't be had for Jones + a throw in. I'm with you there. It's definitely laughable.

Pie is a "fine" prospect? Who is a good prospect? A 5 tool player who is hitting .465 in AAA is just a "fine" prospect?

But the CPatt & Pie is a terrible comparsion. It really is.

Other than both being CFers, & top Cubs prospects what do they do the same? The answer is nothing.

Corey is 5'8 / 5'9
Pie is 6'2 1/2

They play nothing alike.. Pie already has a much better glove, & arm.. He's also faster, bigger, and stronger.

Not to mention the piss poor attitude Patterson has. Patterson has no intangibles while Pie has them all.

The part about winning on every team is still impressive. Pie is a winner. He's made every team he's been on better.. Including this Cubs team when he was called up.. The Patterson/Pie comparsion is a really really bad comparsion though.

Pie > Santana.

Return to Trades and Transactions