Rockies-Blue Jays

proscout
Junior
And1: 21

Rockies-Blue Jays 

Post#1 » by proscout » Mon Jun 2, 2008 5:32 am

I have a trade idea that could happen (in my mind at least). I think we could trade Hawpe, Stewart, and Morales to the Blue Jays for Halladay (and maybe a low-end prospect or two). The Blue Jays could plug in Stewart at 3B (they have Rolen, but his contract ends in 2010, so they could use Rolen as a DH). Hawpe would be a huge upgrade for them in RF (where they currently have Wilkerson/Mench as their #3 OF, and both their contracts end at the end of this year anyways). Morales would work more in AAA, and by next year he would be in the rotation. So we'd basically be giving up 3 major-league-ready players, so it's a great value for the Blue Jays, but I think it's a good deal for us too because we'd be giving up 3 players that either are blocked at their position, or would be easy to replace (this is pending that we sign Atkins to a long term contract, which I think we will and should because it will help keep Holliday too). It would give the Rockies the Ace they need, and it brings a Denver boy back home. It also shifts our other pitchers into spots where they are better fits (Francis becomes a 3 instead of 1/2, Ubaldo a 4 instead of 3, etc).

Rockies look like:
CF Taveras
2B Barmes
1B Helton
LF Holliday
3B Atkins
RF Smith
SS Tulo
C Ianetta
P (Halladay, Cook, Francis, Jimenez, Reynolds)

BENCH
C Yorvit
IF Baker
IF Q
OF Spilly
OF Pods

Blue Jays would look like:
SS Eckstein
2B Hill
LF Rios
CF Wells
DH Rolen
RF Hawpe
3B I. Stewart
1B Overbay
C Barajas

BENCH
C Zaun
IF Scutaro
IF Stairs
OF S. Stewart
OF Mench/Wilkerson

PITCHING (Burnett, McGowan, Marcum, Litsch, Morales)
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#2 » by bigboy1234 » Mon Jun 2, 2008 5:51 am

It only makes sense to put one of the best if not the best defensive 3B in the game at DH.
Schad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,105

Post#3 » by Schad » Mon Jun 2, 2008 6:30 am

While I like all three players, it's not the return that Toronto would be looking for in a Halladay trade, I'm afraid. Halladay is by all indications happy in Toronto, and thus the Jays have no reason to part with him.

If he doesn't suck, Burnett is likely to opt out and walk this off-season, and combined with the loss of Halladay that would transform the Jays' rotation from one of the best in the league into a below average group, and there's really no one on the horizon in Toronto's minor league system (unless Purcey sticks, but he's a bottom-of-the-rotation guy at best).

Oh, and just as it doesn't make sense to have a seven-time Gold Glove winner at DH, it doesn't make much sense to shift a rangy OF with a tremendous arm to LF.
**** your asterisk.
Relentless88
RealGM
And1: 101

Post#4 » by Relentless88 » Tue Jun 3, 2008 2:04 am

No thanks. Doc stays in T.Dot.
massey1992
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#5 » by massey1992 » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:35 pm

Yeah Doc will not be going anywhere.
A.J.
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#6 » by A.J. » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:16 pm

massey1992 wrote:Yeah Doc will not be going anywhere.

Return to Trades and Transactions