The Official 2007 Draft Thread

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#81 » by GS Warriors 1 » Sat Jun 9, 2007 6:07 am

cmaff051 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

You don't draft bases on the needs of your big league club.

Exactly.

Thats what some of these Giants fans don't get about the draft.

I like what they did in 1st and supplemental rounds.
sideshowking24
Junior
And1: 0

Post#82 » by sideshowking24 » Sat Jun 9, 2007 6:15 am

studcrackers wrote:well BG maybe you're right but i have little faith in this organization (i dont blame john daniels much though many around here do, i blame our joke of an owner, past GM's and current coaches)

BG can you or someone else here explain why scouts are so infatuated with Julio Borbon? i cant get excited about a guy who had 6 walks all year and i think 9 in his 3 years when facing SEC competition.

I'm not really all that excited about Borbon either but the potential for late bloomers in the baseball draft is always high. only having 6 walks in an entire season is a little concerning but seeing that he has bat control, maybe the eye and discipline at the plate will come around. and also about his basestealing problems, he does have plus speed so that is something he can learn. the only thing that I really have a problem with is his arm. thats not really something you can learn or even at this point in his career develop. according to scouts, he does have range for days so maybe that will able to make up a little bit for his arm.
2009NBAChamps
Rookie
And1: 42

Post#83 » by 2009NBAChamps » Sat Jun 9, 2007 9:02 pm

What do you guys think of the picks the Blue Jays made? In terms of BPA and quality.

I hear good things about Ahrens but what of the others?
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#84 » by bigboy1234 » Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:55 am

2009NBAChamps wrote:What do you guys think of the picks the Blue Jays made? In terms of BPA and quality.

I hear good things about Ahrens but what of the others?

Just one mans opinion but Bryan Smith thought this:
Best Draft: Toronto Blue Jays

It's hard to believe that the Blue Jays were the organization with the most well-balanced blend of players on Thursday, but Jon Lalonde had a great draft. The team picked a good infield of prepsters that should progress together up through the minors--Kevin Ahrens, Justin Jackson, and John Tolisano. Lalonde also went with his usual habits, picking a powerful collegian in J.P. Arencibia and an accomplished southpaw in Brett Cecil. I also really like how the Blue Jays ended with day, drafting southpaw Brad Mills and groundball artist Marc Rzepczynski. One of the game's worst farm systems might have about seven new members for its top ten prospect list.

http://baseballprospectus.com/article.p ... cleid=6327
John Manuel wrote:I have not been on the Toronto tip for a while, but in terms of first days, I thought they had the best one--diverse, premium positions, no real reaches, just thought it was an excellent day.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#85 » by lpsevier » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:04 pm

BB - Do you have any insight other than a google search of any of the Braves other picks?

Thanks.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#86 » by bigboy1234 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:36 pm

As you already know I absolutely love the Heyward pick, maybe the best pick in the 1st round if you take into account money(Porcello). Josh Fields was one of the top 20 talents to begin this year, but slipped a lot because of his performance this year, but he does have a phenominal fastball and slider combo. And like usually both these kids are hometown products, which the Braves love. Gearrin is another college reliever but unlike Fields doesn't profile as a closer, although having a very impressive junior season, he like Fields walked over 5 per 9 though this year. I think Fred Freeman was a little bit of a reach, but the Braves may have seen something in him that others didn't, plus he's straight out of HS which I love. Hicks is a speedy/defensive SS with a bad bat, I don't personally like him or think he'll make the majors but really you never know. On the second day of the draft, the Braves didn't draft any of the higher profile players that slipped because of college commitments or bonus demands, but they did draft a ton of young kids which I love, and personally wish the Cardinals would learn to do.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by lpsevier » Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:23 pm

Thanks for the additional info!

Side note - do you know anything about Joshua Reddick, the CF Prospect for the Red Sox?

I think he's in AA now, I work with his Aunt.

Gracias.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#88 » by bigboy1234 » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:00 pm

I personally don't know anything about Reddick but soxprospects.com says this about him:
Excellent athlete with good power potential. Has impressive tools, including a very strong and accurate outfield arm.

http://soxprospects.com/players/reddick-josh.htm

And he's just in A ball, if he was in AA at his age it would be pretty damn impressive. He's also having a pretty decent year sporting a .819 OPS.
Bleeding Green
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 13,875

Post#89 » by Bleeding Green » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:11 am

Reddick's crazy. He has like 9 OF assists in 23-ish games.

He's only in Low-A and has just about 100 career pro atbats. But it's been an impressive start as he is making ridiculous contact with a strikeout-rate of just 5.4%. For comparison, Ichiro's K-rate usually sits around 9%.
Manocad wrote:I have an engineering degree, an exceptionally high IQ, and can point to the exact location/area of any country on an unlabeled globe.

Return to Minor Leagues