2009 MLB Dynasty League (bigboy shocks the world!)

Moderator: TyCobb

CFan21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18

Re: 2008/2009 MLB Dynasty League Offseason 

Post#21 » by CFan21 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:21 pm

studcrackers wrote:for us new managers when are we figuring out who gets who?

Well, you're going to have to be patient for a week or two. I messaged two other guys, one politely declined because of time commitments, the other didn't respond, so onto plan B. I plan on making a thread on here and in the mod forum to try to get two more guys. After that happens we'll have a distribution draft right away because the interest in doing it will probably fade after the World Series until Spring Training starts up. So, to answer your question... by the end of October.
formerly CelticsFan21
CFan21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#22 » by CFan21 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:32 pm

Basketball Jesus wrote:When does the minor league portion of the roster need to be set?

I have your minor league roster and you don't have any graduated prospects so you don't have to worry about that.
formerly CelticsFan21
CFan21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by CFan21 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:03 pm

Hey everyone, if nobody is offended by this idea, I've got a friend who expressed a lot of interest in joining the league, but he would be new to RealGM. We went to high school together and he goes to Boston College with me so I can definitely vouch for him with complete confidence. Played in high school and watches most Red Sox games and a lot of ESPN so he knows the players and the game. His knowledge of minor leaguers is passable at worst. I play fantasy football with him every year and he's always active and has one of the better teams. Best of all, when I explained what would be expected of him in terms of participation in the thread and checking up on his roster he said, "That's all?"

If anybody is terribly opposed to the notion of a newcomer whose never posted on here I'll understand, but I think he'd be a good addition and someone I can trust not to bail on the league if he's hit by a slew of injuries. If the injury bug hits this kid, he'll just go all bigboy and acquire young talent and bide his time.
formerly CelticsFan21
CFan21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by CFan21 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:09 am

Our new league member will be named Kazanovicz. He'll introduce himself when the admins verify his account.
formerly CelticsFan21
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#25 » by bigboy1234 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:28 pm

F that, I'm terribly offended by this. This kid better not think he's going to come on and take my place as the worst team in the league. I got that wrapped up year in and year out.

So we're expanding the rosters to 30 players, right? That way we can say we have 40 man rosters, sounds pretty badass, right? Well no, ok, too bad.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by Basketball Jesus » Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:28 pm

Oh, dear lord no. I'm already in a league that requires you to keep track of an active 25-man roster, a 40-man roster, as well as a full minor league organization full of players. I like this league because it's simple and I don't have to think about it. Set it and forget it.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
kazanovicz
Junior
And1: 23

Post#27 » by kazanovicz » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:09 pm

What's up guys, I am Jon Kaz. I'm one of Carl's friends from BC and high school. I'd like to join your league if all you guys are okay with it. Carl briefed me on the rules and what he wants from me and I promise you guys I'd stay active all the time and stuff like that. Hope this works out. Nice to meet you guys. I'm gonna go look over the old thread to see who you guys are and stuff.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#28 » by sunshinekids99 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:46 am

Looking at the yahoo rankings looks like they are a bit messed up. I got Aaron Cook with 16 wins and 3.94 era, but he's rated 728th overall for the season?
CFan21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by CFan21 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:06 am

Yeah that is kind of bizarre, they do some screwy stuff on Yahoo! sometimes. Anyways, I think with the lack of interest of prospective managers (see thread created with no replies, PMs sent out with no replies) and the overall lack of activity on RealGM's baseball forums that we're best off going with studcrackers and two guys that I know personally, can vouch for and will become RealGM posters. I just think, we had the SportsWorld disaster and such and it's so hard to predict if one of these random RealGM guys that has "a good reputation" will be good league members or not. I have this friend Jon that I've played sports and fantasy sports with my whole life and I can vouch for him completely. I also have another friend named Corey who me and Jon are both close with, same sort of situation. I know them and can't foresee any problems and even if there were I could call these guys up and give them a kick in the ass. Basically I'd be willing to stake my reputation as commish in these two guys. I'm going to send out an email about the subject because I realize not everyone checks the league thread on a regular basis. But, I really think this is the best course of action because we need to solidify the league and have the dispersal draft ASAP and the market seems dry for RealGM mod-types who want to be managers right now.
formerly CelticsFan21
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#30 » by studcrackers » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:07 am

kazanovicz wrote:What's up guys, I am Jon Kaz. I'm one of Carl's (Setterlund) friends from BC and high school. I'd like to join your league if all you guys are okay with it. Carl briefed me on the rules and what he wants from me and I promise you guys I'd stay active all the time and stuff like that. Hope this works out. Nice to meet you guys. I'm gonna go look over the old thread to see who you guys are and stuff.

has setterlund informed you about the hazing us new guys have to go for? it's pretty demeaning and embarrassing, all i'll say is make sure your mom's in a safe place and that basketball jesus doesnt have access to a camera, you also might not want to sleep the next couple days
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
CFan21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by CFan21 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:32 am

No lie Jon, I had chachi shave his pubes last weekend; monday morning studcrackers woke up with a gorilla mask. Tuesday, I had BBJ stop over before he went to work, dip his sack in black ink and wake studcrackers up with a nice old-fashioned teabag.
formerly CelticsFan21
CFan21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by CFan21 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:45 am

Yo, dispersal draft will be happening shortly. Offline obviously. In the league thread. I'm determining the order by having each of the three new guys pick a number between 1 and 1000. Everyone else knows what the number is but if any of you tip your hand, I'll slice ya! Whoever is closest will pick first. Whoever is second closest will pick second. Whoever picks furthest away will pick last. Really, with so few guys though it shouldn't make a big difference. Snake draft by the way. Pretty simple. Good luck with the guesswork. We'll talk more about details once the draft order is set.

I encourage the rest of the league to comment on picks, to tell the new managers how dumb they were for passing on your boy Joe Plumber or to offer outlandish (or serious) trades to acquire one of the studs available to them. Everyone knows who's available so I don't see the point in banning people from talking about guys who haven't been picked.

Only guys from the three inactive teams/their prospects that are in the Yahoo! system are available so obviously no picking free agents, that's what the free agent draft is for. There will be a list of who you can pick and you can only pick from that list. Hope that's clear.
formerly CelticsFan21
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Basketball Jesus » Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:59 pm

Setterlund wrote: I had BBJ stop over before he went to work, dip his sack in black ink and wake studcrackers up with a nice old-fashioned teabag.

I like to call that move “The Stinky Inky”.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
CFan21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by CFan21 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:26 pm

So far studcrackers was closer to the number than kazanovicz.
formerly CelticsFan21
CFan21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by CFan21 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:52 pm

The number was 317.

Corey, our yet to have his account activated member wins with a guess of 212, a mere 105 away. Studcrackers guessed 501 which gives him the second pick and Kazanovicz picked 600 which puts him in a distant third. The draft will start in a couple of days but the order will be:

1. Corey
2. Stud
3. Kaz
4. Kaz
5. Stud
6. Corey

My gut says studcrackers got the best spot with a shot at either CC or Johan, then he's in a nice spot in the second round.
formerly CelticsFan21
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by bigboy1234 » Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:21 pm

Look at this guy, dropping names, we should kick you out of the league.

Are they only drafting from the players that were on those 3 teams or from all the players available?

And are they having a little minor league draft with those 3 teams' prospects?

Oh, and stop writing so many damn words.
I'm one of Carl's (Setterlund) friends from BC and high school.

You poor bastard.
I promise you guys I'd stay active all the time and stuff like that.

So we now have one active manager in the league, as you can tell from the infomercial that is BBJ.
CFan21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by CFan21 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:46 pm

Here's what the draft is going to look like, and to bigboy, yes the guys can only draft from that list of players made up from those 3 teams and the prospects that will be in the majors next year. After the draft we'll look at the whole prospect thing and figure out a way how to solve that issue. Distributing the prospects seems like it could end up being much more awkward than distributing the major leaguers. But we'll save that for another day. Anyways, here's what they draft order is going to look like:

Round I:

1. MauveAvenger - Johan Santana
2. Studcrackers - CC Sabathia
3. Kazanovicz - Joe Mauer

Round II:

4. Kazanovicz - Ian Kinsler
5. Studcrackers - Ervin Santana
6. MauveAvenger -

Round III:

7. MauveAvenger -
8. Studcrackers -
9. Kazanovicz -

Round VI:

10. Kazanovicz -
11. Studcrackers -
12. MauveAvenger -

Round V:

13. MauveAvenger -
14. Studcrackers -
15. Kazanovicz -

Round VI:

16. Kazanovicz -
17. Studcrackers -
18. MauveAvenger -

Round VII:

19. MauveAvenger -
20. Studcrackers -
21. Kazanovicz -

Round VIII:

22. Kazanovicz -
23. Studcrackers -
24. MauveAvenger -

Round IX:

25. MauveAvenger -
26. Studcrackers -
27. Kazanovicz -

Round X:

28. Kazanovicz -
29. Studcrackers -
30. MauveAvenger -

Round XI:

31. MauveAvenger -
32. Studcrackers -
33. Kazanovicz -

Round XII:

34. Kazanovicz -
35. Studcrackers -
36. MauveAvenger -

Round XIII:

37. MauveAvenger -
38. Studcrackers -
39. Kazanovicz -

Round XIV:

40. Kazanovicz -
41. Studcrackers -
42. MauveAvenger -

Round XV:

43. MauveAvenger -
44. Studcrackers -
45. Kazanovicz -

Round XVI:

46. Kazanovicz -
47. Studcrackers -
48. MauveAvenger -

Round XVII:

49. MauveAvenger -
50. Studcrackers -
51. Kazanovicz -

Round XVIII:

52. Kazanovicz -
53. Studcrackers -
54. MauveAvenger -

Round XIX:

55. MauveAvenger -
56. Studcrackers -
57. Kazanovicz -

Round XX:

58. Kazanovicz -
59. Studcrackers -
60. MauveAvenger -

Round XXI:

61. MauveAvenger -
62. Studcrackers -
63. Kazanovicz -

Round XXII:

64. Kazanovicz -
65. Studcrackers -
66. MauveAvenger -

Round XXIII:

67. MauveAvenger -
68. Studcrackers -
69. Kazanovicz -

Round XXIV:

70. Kazanovicz -
71. Studcrackers -
72. MauveAvenger -

Round XXV:

73. MauveAvenger -
74. Studcrackers -
75. Kazanovicz -

And here are the players that are available in the draft. Prospects/rookies that will be in the majors this next season will be available, just to clear up the whole issue of these guys having not brought up their prospects. And, I mean, toward the end of the draft the talent level is going to be so low that these guys will have trouble filling out the whole roster with half-decent players. Anyways, here are the guys you can pick from:

kg2005:

Hitters: Justin Morneau, Adrian Beltre, JJ Hardy, Chone Figgins, Brad Hawpe, Vernon Wells, Torii Hunter, Corey Hart, Dan Uggla, Michael Cuddyer, Hank Blalock, Matt Murton, Alexi Casilla, Justin Huber

Pitchers: David Price, Francisco Liriano, Huston Street, Brian Fuentes, Kevin Slowey, Dan Wheeler, Troy Percival, Glen Perkins, Chad Cordero, Pat Neshek, Dontrelle Willis, Ian Snell, Boof Bonser

SportsWorld:

Hitters: Russell Martin, Casey Kotchman, Andre Ethier, Pat Burrell, Michael Young, Kosuke Fukodome, Johnny Damon, Carlos Delgado, Paul Konerko, Mark DeRosa, Troy Glaus, Ian Stewart, Orlando Cabrera, Scott Rolen, Edgar Renteria, Wladimir Balentien, Mike Cameron, Aaron Hill

Pitchers: Fausto Carmona, Chris Young, Derek Lowe, Ted Lilly, Hiroki Kuroda, Kevin Gregg, Carlos Marmol, Randy Wolf, Joel Zumaya, Luke Hochevar

Bleeding Green:

Hitters: Brandon Phillips, Adam Dunn, Derek Jeter, Kevin Kouzmanoff, Coco Crisp, Casey Blake, Mark Reynolds, Orlando Hudson, Willy Taveras, Denard Span, Andruw Jones, Jeff Clement, Chris Snyder, Chris Iannetta, Gary Sheffield

Pitchers: Dan Haren, Johnny Cueto, Brad Lidge, Brett Myers, Kerry Wood, Brad Ziegler, Aaron Harang, Rafael Perez, Jon Rauch, Jason Schmidt, Greg Maddux

So yeah, feel free to draft away guys...
formerly CelticsFan21
CFan21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: 2008/2009 MLB Dynasty League (Dispersal Draft Has Begun!) 

Post#38 » by CFan21 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:38 pm

Tough spot with the first pick. Who do you go for? There's a bunch of studs in their late twenties and some rising studs in their early- or mid twenties.
formerly CelticsFan21
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by bigboy1234 » Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:51 pm

Why didn't you include Eric Patterson and Sean Rodriguez? Also you might as well include Melilo, he has like 750 AB in AAA, it's not like anyone is going to chose him, but no one wants him in their minor league system either.

So is it alright if stud trades me his 1st round pick here for Chris Davis, since I know he wants to.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#40 » by studcrackers » Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:49 pm

nah, i'll just draft his counterpart who will be better then him once he gets called up next year
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes

Return to Fantasy Baseball