2008 Offseason

Moderator: Rafael122

Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,837

2008 Offseason 

Post#1 » by Rafael122 » Sat Jun 7, 2008 2:45 am

The team is fun to watch at the moment, but I keep thinking about the upcoming offseason and how important it is.

The teams that were suppose to be competitive this year, are not. Detroit made the trade for Willis and Cabrera and they are awful, the Mariners trade the farm system for Erik Bedard and they are something like 18 games under .500.

First goal, obviously for Baltimore is to have a .500 record or better.

Looking at the way the team is now, they have a glaring need at first base, shortstop, and left field.

The prize catch of the offseason is Mark Texeira. He's a local kid and word is Angelos will do everything in his power to try and sign this guy. To say this guy would make our lineup dangerous would be an understatement. He will make everyone better, especially with Roberts and Markakis at the top of the lineup, then you have Adam Jones coming along? And you add Tex?

Shortstop - there doesn't seem to be anything in the farm system, so I wouldn't be surprised if they looked to sign a veteran. Rafael Furcal will be a free agent, as will Christian Guzman.

Left Field - Adam Dunn is a free agent IIRC, so he could be a guy to look at. Actually, they could probably DH him and have him play left and first on occassion. Lethal lineup if its possible with Tex, and Adam Dunn in the middle of the lineup.

Pitching - the way I see it, this team has a lot of number twos and threes and fours and fives. As of June 6, it looks like Olson is there to stay, everyone else, including Cabrera are up in the air. CC Sabathia will be a free agent, so will Ben Sheets, Jon Garland.

Bullpen is playing very well, and Ray will be back next season, but I think the Orioles could be players in the free agent market if they have a moderately successful season, and are on the way up. It all starts with Tex though. If you sign him, you bring credibility back to the franchise.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#2 » by miller31time » Sat Jun 7, 2008 5:07 am

I would have agreed on wanting Texeira last season, because we were caught between rebuilding and trying to field a decent team.

But now, we've chosen a direction. We're not going to seriously compete for a bit, but instead develop young players who have bright futures.

Texeira is almost 30 and will command a ridiculously big contract. Is that really the direction to go?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,837

Post#3 » by Rafael122 » Sun Jun 8, 2008 4:01 pm

I think you have to sign him. He's from the area so that automatically gives them a huge advantage, plus, it'd solve our first base problem for at least the next 6 years.

I'd still continue the development and stuff, and I hated the way this organization tried to develop players and compete at the same time, which is impossible to do in sports, but Tex is a guy you can't pass up no matter where the team is going.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.

Return to Baltimore Orioles