The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread

Moderator: Rafael122

miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

The Official "Introduce Yourself" Thread 

Post#1 » by miller31time » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:12 am

Well, we have one of these on the Wizards Board, and I just made one up for the Ravens Board, so we might as well have one for the O's Board.

List any information about you that you would like to be known, and make sure to include your O's history and why you're a fan of the team.

Personally, I haven't been a fan for long, but have become increasingly more interested in 'dem O's each season, despite not having a winning record in eons. Obviously, Cal Ripken was a big reason for me following the Orioles, and it would take a whole separate thread to say what he did for this organization, both on-field and off.

Now, a bit of personal info. I'm 18 years old and hail from Baltimore, MD. I currently go to Towson University (Towson, MD) and am majoring in mass communication with a focus in sports broadcasting. I'm half Italian, half Greek, love long walks on the beach, cheesecake, and myself.

NEXT?
20swish
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#2 » by 20swish » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:23 am

I'm 19 been an o's fan as long as i can remember my dad's an O's fan as is my Brother. I live in "Red Sox nation" all my friends are Sox fans and it makes it so much easier to hate the Sox and love the O's. My fav player is Melvin Mora, though Markakis might take over that spot soon. :D

Never been to Camden Yards for a game, but hoping to catch a game this summer.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,187

Post#3 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:28 am

Well, born and raise in a major suburb just northeast of Indianapolis, Fishers. My dad was stationed in Baltimore around the Vietnam War, and wasn't much of a baseball fan, but he told me a lot of stories of Brooks and Frank back in the day, and with Cal Ripken having reminded me of my father (work ethic), I naturally fell in love with the O's. I have some tendency to root for the Cubs as well, as they are kind of a local favorite, and both my brothers grew up rooting for them and both live near Wrigley now.

I'm 21, finishing up school at IUPUI after some years at IU in Bloomington, and working as a Youth Minister. I'm a Notre Dame addict, a huge Colts fan going back to the Jeff George/Bill Brooks years (though never a fan of Jeff George).
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#4 » by WizStorm » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:47 am

Name: John
Born: Raleigh, NC
Current Residence: Charlotte, NC
College: UMBC

How I became an O's Fan:
Have been an O's fans ever since the early 80's. During that impressionable time in my life, I moved to Maryland and lived right outside Baltimore in Cockeysville and instantly adopted the local teams. It also helped seeing the O's winning it all in '83, 'skins in '82/'87/'91 and my hometown NC State Wolfpack in '83. Of course, I've always had my Wizards and Caps to keep me grounded and has taught me well on how cope during these lean years that i've been experience for while with all my teams.

As for the O's, I've always have a soft spot for Cal, Eddie, Boddicker, Dempsey, Bumbry and Weaver. I also fondly remember the horrible late 80's early 90's teams during my college years when I been to more games than I can remember (espcially since most were in a drunken stuper). Just mentioning the names like Randy Milligan, Gregg Olson, Chris Hoiles give me instant handovers. :D

Really nothing like catching a game on 33rd at the old Memorial Stadium, along with the thrill and excitement of the first few seasons at Camden Yards.
Warrior-Poet
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#5 » by Warrior-Poet » Mon Apr 2, 2007 8:27 pm

Golden State Warriors fan, and Baltimore Orioles fan. I moved to Bmore in Fall 00, and down to DC in Summer 04, and have been a loyal O's fan for about 5 years now. Being originally from the Bay Area, my allegiances are such:

1. Orioles
2. Athletics
3. Giants
4. Nationals

GOOO O'S!
MF23
Veteran

Post#6 » by MF23 » Tue Apr 3, 2007 12:48 pm

Hey guys. Been an O's fan since Ben McDonald, Curt Schilling and that one year wonder curveballer Gregg Olson.

Look foward to talking about the O's here.
Et tu Bilas.
MD
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#7 » by Scabs304 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 2:43 pm

Name: Sean
Born: Wheaton, MD
Current Residence: New Smyrna Beach, FL

Bio: What you really want to know that majority of you don't already know. I'm not a huge baseball fan although I believe myself to be well informed about the to local teams back up in the DC area. I'm Scabs.
I am Scabs.
timmay27
Senior

Post#8 » by timmay27 » Mon Apr 9, 2007 8:16 am

MF23 wrote:Hey guys. Been an O's fan since Ben McDonald, Curt Schilling and that one year wonder curveballer Gregg Olson.

Look foward to talking about the O's here.

Same, although I don't keep up with the team near as much as I did back when they were half decent.

Joe Orsulak was the man. I was a big fan of Randy Milligan, Tettleton, Phil Bradly, Craig Worthington (lol), even Bill Ripken for his amazing line drive grabs and overall defensive play.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#9 » by craig01 » Sat May 19, 2007 8:31 pm

Been an O's fan since the mid 70's.

Was a Senators fan until they were moved after the 71 season.

Living in Orlando since 87, kids are becoming Rays fans.

I was a season ticket holder in Memorial Stadium....section 37, row 1, seats 6,7. I miss that 33rd st jewel.

Have met numerous ex O's since living here.....Dempsey, Boddicker, Palmer, gave Brooks Robinson a ride to the airport, Weaver, Hendricks, I got shaving creamed by Mo Drabowski, drank beer with Pat Dobson and Merv Rettenmund, Shopay, Gentile, Blair, Bumbry, Epstein, Lowenstein, Palmer, played golf with Mike Cuellar.....and there's more.

What a great history.

Damn Angelos.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
WizStorm
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#10 » by WizStorm » Sun May 20, 2007 12:55 pm

Welcome craig01!

Sorry about the tumbleweeds, not having an NBA team in Baltimore automatically gives this board a disadvantage in having a built-in base of posters.

Not to mention the string of frustrating losses has dipped the interest level way down. Like that 9th inning, 6-Run comeback against the Red Sox :banghead:

Maybe a sweep of the Nats might bring some life back?
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#11 » by craig01 » Sun May 20, 2007 2:00 pm

I am surprised at the low attendance in Wash for the series.

I guess the interleague stuff is getting old.......
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Scabs304
General Manager
And1: 38

Post#12 » by Scabs304 » Mon May 21, 2007 1:29 pm

craig01 wrote:I am surprised at the low attendance in Wash for the series.

I guess the interleague stuff is getting old.......
Inter Beltway series's will never get old. It's pretty much the only time I pay attention to either team at this poin in the season already.
I am Scabs.
miller31time
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,125

Post#13 » by miller31time » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:59 am

WizStorm wrote:Not to mention the string of frustrating losses has dipped the interest level way down. Like that 9th inning, 6-Run comeback against the Red Sox :banghead:

A damn near perfectly pitched game by one of our young guns, and suddenly, he's too tired to pitch one more out....and don't get me started on the blown pop-up.....ugh...

the life of an O's fan....
Hawaii
Pro Prospect
And1: 21

Post#14 » by Hawaii » Mon Aug 6, 2007 6:20 am

What's up guys, I've been an Orioles fan since the mid-80s, grew up in Alexandria, VA watching the team. For that reason, I still consider them my "home team" instead of the Nationals (who place a close second on my favorite teams list). Love the team, love Camden Yards, and love the drive getting to Baltimore. I attended Ripken's streak-tying game (#2130), probably my favorite baseball moment, and try to hit at least one game a year, hopefully several. I wish they would do better, but hey-it's been years-you get used to the performance. I like going to the Orioles-Yankees series with my friends (who are Yanks fans), getting some drinks, and talking a little trash. I also like going to the Beltway series games, hopefully we'll get a World Series one day (um, I'd imagine later rather than sooner, lol).

Return to Baltimore Orioles