ImageImageImage

2017 Offseason Thread

Moderator: HMFFL

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Re: 2017 Offseason Thread 

Post#61 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:29 pm

Ruzious wrote:I haven't heard anything about the Braves going after Frazier this offseason. If they do, it better be for 1 year.

I was talking about trading for Soto next offseason - assuming they re-sign Harper. I've never bought into that idea about not trading with division rivals. The best trade in Orioles history was with the Yankees. Gotta figure there will be other alternatives that come up, as well. And I'd be fine with trading for Yellich - if the price is right.

Well you aren't looking much. It's on MLB trade rumors site, which also mentions interest in 3b Nunez and all over twitter with AJC writer Dave O'Brien and MLB Braves writer Mark Bowman.

And yes both would be 1-2 year deals, as Riley continues to develop.

Just because you aren't looking hard, doesn't mean it's not there. Also there is nothing wrong with my package for Yelich. You just don't like giving up Soroka. Yet the other two MODs here seem to like the idea of bringing him in, even for Soroka/Wright + Anderson.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#62 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:28 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Ruzious wrote:I haven't heard anything about the Braves going after Frazier this offseason. If they do, it better be for 1 year.

I was talking about trading for Soto next offseason - assuming they re-sign Harper. I've never bought into that idea about not trading with division rivals. The best trade in Orioles history was with the Yankees. Gotta figure there will be other alternatives that come up, as well. And I'd be fine with trading for Yellich - if the price is right.

Well you aren't looking much. It's on MLB trade rumors site, which also mentions interest in 3b Nunez and all over twitter with AJC writer Dave O'Brien and MLB Braves writer Mark Bowman.

Just because you aren't looking hard, doesn't mean it's not there. Also there is nothing wrong with my package for Yelich. You just don't like giving up Soroka. Yet the other two MODs here seem to like the idea of bringing him in, even for Soroka/Wright + Anderson.

Feel free to post a link/quote to the Frazier to the Braves rumors.

And they are awesome MODS... at that, but I don't think they mind too much if I don't agree with them. Pretty sure they can deal with that - maybe even embrace hearing different views?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#63 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Feel free to post a link/quote to the Frazier to the Braves rumors.

And they are awesome MODS... at that, but I don't think they mind too much if I don't agree with them. Pretty sure they can deal with that - maybe even embrace hearing different views?

Well maybe you can act like I'm not making chit up. Twice you have mentioned that you specifically haven't heard anything on Braves and Frazier. When I get home I will gladly post the tweets from Bowman and O'Brien.

In the mean time, here is two links from Talking chop that has mentioned Frazier and Braves interest.

https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/1/9/16867424/braves-news-third-base-options-coming-into-focus-sports

https://www.talkingchop.com/2018/1/8/16865414/mlb-trade-rumors-todd-frazier-braves
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks - if that's okay to say?

Sorry if you thought I implied you made stuff. That wasn't my intention.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#65 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:53 pm

You are entitled to your own opinion. But twice you did shoot down Frazier comments by me, simply because you haven't heard anything.

I will gladly post the tweets, when I get home from work.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#66 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:55 pm

And thank you for your apology.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by Ruzious » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:35 pm

You're welcome. And hopefully the Braves don't sign Frazier. :)
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#68 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:56 pm

Why not? 1-2 yrs, won't be expensive. He's averaged nearly 33 HRs and 155 games played the past 4 seasons. Solid defense. Not to mention, a 21.7% K-rate isn't that bad for a slugger with those numbers. Has a high walk rate, .344OBP in 2017.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by Ruzious » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:51 pm

I imagine it would significantly lower our cost for Yellich if we agreed to include a swap of Swanson for Castro - given that Dansby's getting paid chump change through 2019 and can't be a free agent till 2023. Question is - what is Dansby's ceiling - after a very disappointing rookie year?
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#70 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:56 pm

No way. At least not for Castro. I'm keeping Swanson. He's not the first and won't be the last player to struggle their rookie season.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:44 pm

That's certainly a reasonable view, and I expect he'll improve and hope the improvement will be dramatic. I guess the fact that Albies has done better at 3 years younger and Camargo playing better at the same age makes me concerned that Dansby might not be as good as advertised. And Castro is a 4 time all-star, so it wouldn't exactly be giving away Dansby.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#72 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:57 pm

A 4 time all star who is quickly approaching 30, at 28 in two months. Ummm we all knew Albies had the higher ceiling. No surprise there that Albies was better last year. Camargo also doesn't have the pressure of a top prospect that Swanson has. Again, it's just one season, too early to give up and judge. I think you are nit picking too much. Let's see how he does this season and then evaluate.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:09 pm

Castro's 4 years older than Swanson. It's significant but not the end of the world - considering Swanson hasn't accomplished anything.

And Swanson was rated higher than Albies. He was the first overall pick in 2015 and was rated one of the top few prospects in baseball when the Braves got him - well ahead of Albies. Albies closed the gap after that, but I don't recall any of the scouting organizations that put their rating on the internet having Albies significantly higher - if any higher - than Swanson. But say you're right - saying Swanson has a lower ceiling doesn't help the case for keeping him, so I'm not sure why we're having that discussion. :)

Remember, the whole point of me bringing up the idea of trading Swanson was to LOWER the price of getting Yellich - not raise it - lower it.

One thing I think we can agree with - If Florida's insisting on a package including Acuna for just Yellich, it's an easy No from Atlanta.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#74 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:25 pm

I couldn't get past the first sentence of your recent post. Again it's one year and you are giving up on Swanson. :banghead:

Also I didn't say rated, I said higher ceiling. It's no secret that Albies ceiling is higher.

Remember, no Swanson to lower Yelich cost. I'm about cooled on him, Marlins have asked twice for Acuna and that isn't happening.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:24 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:I couldn't get past the first sentence of your recent post. Again it's one year and you are giving up on Swanson. :banghead:

Also I didn't say rated, I said higher ceiling. It's no secret that Albies ceiling is higher.

Remember, no Swanson to lower Yelich cost. I'm about cooled on him, Marlins have asked twice for Acuna and that isn't happening.

I think we need to put each other on ignore, because too many conversations are going this way.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#76 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:30 pm

Well I mean an Orioles fan has already given up on Swanson. Won't trade for Yelich if Soroka is involved(and pretty much the only one who posts here, who doesn't think Yelich is a good young player, because he isn't hitting 40 HRs and 130 RBI) and thinks the Nats will trade one of their top OF prospects to us.

Is the Orioles board that non active?

And to be honest, I find it comical and annoying when you post here. The Braves aren't your favorite team, sure they might be one of your teams after the O's. But your posts come off as half supportive of the Braves sometimes. You also can't seem to not let things get personal, everything I say if it is regarding one of your posts here, you take personal.
Also I think you try to get into arguments with me intentionally, waiting for me to slip up, based on your actions and abusing your MOD powers early last season. You did so much of those and wouldn't lay off me, that I had to report you to Howard Mass twice.

For the record, I think we are having a fine conversation, you just don't like my counters to your not truly a Braves fan posts.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#77 » by ATL Boy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:10 pm

Let's stop with the jabs you two. There's no need to turn this thread into a battlefield.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#78 » by ATL Boy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:13 pm

Back to the topic at hand (the Braves Offseason), I'm about ready to give up my hopes of the Braves trading for Yelich if the Marlins are serious about Ronald Acuna's involvement being a deal breaker. They want Acuna and two-four more prospects in exchange for Yelich and I personally hope that AA completely shut that down. I wouldn't trade Acuna for Yelich straight up.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#79 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:16 pm

ATL Boy wrote:Back to the topic at hand (the Braves Offseason), I'm about ready to give up my hopes of the Braves trading for Yelich if the Marlins are serious about Ronald Acuna's involvement being a deal breaker. They want Acuna and two-four more prospects in exchange for Yelich and I personally hope that AA completely shut that down. I wouldn't trade Acuna for Yelich straight up.

Agree! For Acuna and is many prospects they are asking for, Braves better be getting Harper, Trout, Sale, Kershaw in return. Not for Yelich. I like Yelich and have been a big yes person on going to get him, but not at that steep price. I'm cooling off acquiring him also.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by Ruzious » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:20 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Well I mean an Orioles fan has already given up on Swanson. Won't trade for Yelich if Soroka is involved(and pretty much the only one who posts here, who doesn't think Yelich is a good young player, because he isn't hitting 40 HRs and 130 RBI) and thinks the Nats will trade one of their top OF prospects to us.

Is the Orioles board that non active?

And to be honest, I find it comical and annoying when you post here. The Braves aren't your favorite team, sure they might be one of your teams after the O's. But your posts come off as half supportive of the Braves sometimes. You also can't seem to not let things get personal, everything I say if it is regarding one of your posts here, you take personal.
Also I think you try to get into arguments with me intentionally, waiting for me to slip up, based on your actions and abusing your MOD powers early last season. You did so much of those and wouldn't lay off me, that I had to report you to Howard Mass twice.

For the record, I think we are having a fine conversation, you just don't like my counters to your not truly a Braves fan posts.

That's really lame. I've been a Braves fan since Hank Aaron was my idol as a kid - been a Braves fan through all the ups and downs - and there've been a lot of them. I'm also an O's fan - since I've lived in MD almost my entire life. It's possible to be both. You're the most paranoid poster I've come across here, and I've been posting here a long time... with nobody else on ignore. Why... do you think I've been posting here? And more to the point, why do you think I owe you some kind of explanation for it?

And if you've reported me to Howard... God love ya, but the correct protocol would have been to go to the Moderators of this forum. That's why Howard chose them... to be Moderators.

To your last comment, this is the first time I recall you accusing me of not being a Braves fan, so... SMH. And I've said several times I think Yellich's an outstanding and very valuable player, and you're still posting here that I don't think he's a good young player. Again... SMH. Not sure why you've felt the need to mis-represent what I said several times.

For all I know, you might be a good guy, but trying to communicate with you has been a bizarre experience. Life's too short for this, and I am out of here. You can have the last word.

Return to Atlanta Braves