ImageImageImage

2018 Offseason Thread....(The search for a SP, corner OF and bp arms)

Moderator: HMFFL

Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

2018 Offseason Thread....(The search for a SP, corner OF and bp arms) 

Post#1 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Oct 9, 2018 12:19 am

Hate to say it but the Braves season ended in the NLDS to the Dodgers. Discuss the offseason!
Nemesis21
RealGM

Re: 2018 Offseason Thread.... 

Post#2 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Oct 9, 2018 6:28 pm

I hope most of the coaching staff returns. Kind of want to see a change at pitching coach.

A lot of jobs will be open this winter, I would hate to lose Ron Washington. :(
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#3 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:03 am

Alex Anthopoulos is going to meet with the media today. We will find out if Snit gets an extension and we also could find out if their are changes to the coaching staff. I hope we don't lose Ron Washington to one of the open manager jobs. I do hope we get a new pitching coach.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#4 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:59 pm

The Braves have given Brian Snitker a two year extension,

https://www.mlb.com/braves/news/brian-snitker-contract-extension/c-297847456
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,638

Post#5 » by Jamaaliver » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:13 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:...I do hope we get a new pitching coach.

Wish is granted.

A good sign: The Braves are changing pitching coaches

The team that won its division by eight games and finished fifth among National League clubs in ERA has dumped its pitching coach. That was the big news from a state-of-the-offseason briefing at SunTrust Park on Monday. (Well, that and manager Brian Snitker’s new two-year deal with a club option for a third season, but we all knew that was coming.)

The parting with Chuck Hernandez sends a clear message: We may have gotten good, but we’re not good enough. The decision, general manager Alex Anthopoulos said, “emanated from me. I left it up to Snit entirely. I expressed some things from a directional standpoint. This is more of a directional thing – where we want to take the program, what we’re doing.”

Changing pitching coaches wasn’t an obvious call. Here was Anthopoulos, making what seemed a decent case to keep Hernandez: “If you take a giant step back and look at it, we were fifth in ERA, first in opponent slugging, fourth in runs. Even with the walks, we were fifth (actually sixth) in on-base percentage. So we were top five, top two, in a lot of things, and by design we wanted to stay away from slug.”

And yet, and yet: The Braves were last among NL teams in walks. Snitker said “that never came up” in his discussion with Anthopoulos, but it came up almost nightly over the season’s final month. In an era when few teams are capable of stringing together three consecutive singles and even the eighth-place hitter is swinging for the fences, walks hold massive power. Surely Anthopoulos, a numbers-cruncher of the first rank, saw as much. Surely he believed a staff that walks the ballpark, even if it doesn’t yield many hits, is swimming against the current.

Ergo, the champs of the NL East are looking to replace the most important member of their coaching staff. They are not sticking with what yielded 90 wins. They are looking for more. Good for them.

Spoiler:
Anthopolous said, “Yes, we won the division. But, not to be negative, we need to look at where we can improve. The offense the second half of the season, something happened there. We try to extrapolate from second half, first half, last month. Apart from the market, I spend most of my time worrying about our internal performance. The frst goal is to win the division there. That is the focus. It was a battle the entire year, at the end we pulled away. But they’re going to get better. We need to get better.”
myAJC
Nemesis21
RealGM

Re: 2018 Offseason Thread....(Snit gets two year extension) 

Post#6 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Looks like all of the staff will return, except for Hernandez.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/atlanta-braves
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#7 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:49 pm

Read on Twitter
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,163

Post#8 » by HMFFL » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Read on Twitter
Well deserved and his new two year contract.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#9 » by ATL Boy » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:39 pm

Braves will apparently have an increased payroll and should have around $60 mil to spend this offseason according to Bowman. Should make us players for Bryce Harper.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#10 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:47 am

ATL Boy wrote:Braves will apparently have an increased payroll and should have around $60 mil to spend this offseason according to Bowman. Should make us players for Bryce Harper.

DOB of the Athletic, says it's actually about half that at $30 mill.

I'm sorry, but I don't want Harper or Machado. If we are spending that big, save it for Trout.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by ATL Boy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:09 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:Braves will apparently have an increased payroll and should have around $60 mil to spend this offseason according to Bowman. Should make us players for Bryce Harper.

I'm sorry, but I don't want Harper or Machado. If we are spending that big, save it for Trout.

Conflicting reports from DOB and Bowman, who says it'll be $60 mil. I'd be more inclined to believe Bowman mostly because I don't see why Liberty Media would look to cut payroll after the season we just had and after the added revenue they got from both television and ticket/merchandise/battery sales they got as a result to making it to the playoffs.

I think Trout has a chance of going down as the GOAT in this sports and would love to have him, but I don't think we'll have a chance at getting him. Tbh I feel like he may go to the Phillies since he's from the Philly area but would rather have him not come to the NL at all, personally. Harper is a big prize we have a chance at even though it'll be difficult and with him as well, I doubt we get him, but I'd like to try. Machado I just don't want at this point.

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Jamaaliver
Forum Mod - Hawks
Forum Mod - Hawks
And1: 14,638

Post#12 » by Jamaaliver » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:32 pm

Braves open to trade, but what prospect should be on the block?

The Atlanta Braves have said they will have ample room in the payroll to add an expensive free agent, well-compensated trade acquisition or spread the wealth to plug several holes.

Braves general manager Alex Anthopoulos has been an aggressive dealer in the trade market.

“We offered up some pretty good young players in deals we couldn’t get done,” Anthopolous told the AJC's Gabriel Burns earlier this month. “We made some bigger name prospects available in trades that got asked about. I think where we hit a snag was the quantity. That’s where we couldn’t get a deal across the goal line.”

The Braves indeed have a wealth of prospects to deal from. But who’s on the block?
AJC
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Post#13 » by Ruzious » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:00 pm

ATL Boy wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Conflicting reports from DOB and Bowman, who says it'll be $60 mil. I'd be more inclined to believe Bowman mostly because I don't see why Liberty Media would look to cut payroll after the season we just had and after the added revenue they got from both television and ticket/merchandise/battery sales they got as a result to making it to the playoffs.

I think Trout has a chance of going down as the GOAT in this sports and would love to have him, but I don't think we'll have a chance at getting him. Tbh I feel like he may go to the Phillies since he's from the Philly area but would rather have him not come to the NL at all, personally. Harper is a big prize we have a chance at even though it'll be difficult and with him as well, I doubt we get him, but I'd like to try. Machado I just don't want at this point.

Machado has really hurt his rep - not so much for the borderline dirty play - but for his comments about not being willing to hustle, imo. Harper will occasionally loaf too, tbh, though I think it's a bigger issue with Manny - who seems to be playing the too cool for school game. I'm convinced Harper is a guy who really wants to win, and I'd love to have him. I would definitely try to sign him. While Trout's the best player in the game, I think the chances are small that the Braves can get him. Even if the Angels don't re-sign him, every other team - not just the Phillies and Braves - are going to want him.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#14 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:39 am

Read on Twitter
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#15 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:02 pm

I hope AA doesn't go after this clown

Read on Twitter
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#16 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:03 pm

Read on Twitter
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#17 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:25 pm

Alright y'all, the World Series is over. It's officially the off-season. What do you want to see the Braves do?

Me,

- Add a front line starter if they can.

- Acquire Realmuto or sign Grandal

- Sign Cody Allen or acquire Raisel Iglesias to be the closer

- If Austin Riley is ready to start at 3b, move Camargo to LF.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#18 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:31 pm

Read on Twitter
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#19 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:43 pm

Greinke to Atlanta?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2803241-the-blockbuster-mlb-trades-we-want-to-see-this-offseason?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=programming-league#slide6

Interesting. I'd have to look into this, I've seen some say, teams should be cautious going after Corbin. deGrom is probably not avilable to NL East teams.

What do y'all think? Greinke turned 35 last week, and has 3 years left on his deal, 31.5 mill in '19 and 32 mill in both '20 & '21.

15-11 3.21 ERA in 207 IP 28 HR 43 BB 199 K 1.08 WHIP in 2018

He pitches great with a good framing catcher IE Flowers, Grandal, Realmuto, and with an above average defense behind him.

This is tough, with his age and money owed.

I think the best I could offer would be Teheran, Gohara, Allard and maybe another low prospect(IE Tarnok or Ynoa)

Too much?
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by ATL Boy » Sat Nov 3, 2018 7:52 am

I wouldn't wanna trade for Greinke, too old, makes too much money and his name value will demand some big time prospects.

If we sign Harper I say screw it, go all in and trade for Realmuto and trot out the best lineup in the NL.

Return to Atlanta Braves