ImageImageImage

2018 Offseason Thread....(The search for a SP, corner OF and bp arms)

Moderator: HMFFL

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,579

Re: 2018 Offseason Thread....(The search for a SP, corner OF and bp arms) 

Post#181 » by Ruzious » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:08 pm

I gulped when I saw on MLBtraderumors.com "The Braves will give top third base prospect Austin Riley..." but then exhaled "some work in the outfield this spring." I'm glad they resisted the urge to package him in a trade. Granted, there were some questions about him, but at 21, he had an .882 OPS last year splitting between AA and AAA - with 52 XBH's in 408 at bats. He struck out a lot - but barely more than Acuna. He's not as good a prospect as Acuna, but Acuna's the gold standard. Riley still has all-star middle of the lineup potential. And with him being a righty hitter and Markakis a lefty, there could be some platooning potential there - especially if they see a decline in Nick.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#182 » by Ruzious » Sat Feb 23, 2019 5:18 pm

https://www.mlb.com/news/mike-soroka-shut-down-with-shoulder-tendinitis Soroka's shut down - though it might just be for a week or so. But jeez, to have a sore shoulder before Spring Training... not a good sign. I'd really like to see him in Atlanta's rotation this season.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Douglas Adams
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,003

Post#183 » by ATL Boy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:02 am

I’m at the point where I’m not expecting to rely on Soroka at all this year. Those shoulder problems are still there after a year so itll be a Pleasanton surprise to me if he contributes at all.
SichtingLives wrote:life hack:

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#184 » by Nemesis21 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:50 pm

DOB of the Athletic is reporting on Twitter, that Soroka says the shoulder pain is in a different area than last season's injury.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#185 » by ATL Boy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:43 am

Seems like Harper to Philly feels like a done deal at this point. Would definitely have us fighting for a wild card spot at best, barring injury.

When a man heaves a live chainsaw towards you from distance, stand still. No one has good accuracy throwing a chainsaw.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,164

Post#186 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:27 am

ATL Boy wrote:Seems like Harper to Philly feels like a done deal at this point. Would definitely have us fighting for a wild card spot at best, barring injury.
I really hope it's SD or LA.
I would like for him to be out of our division.

Sent from my SM-N920P using RealGM mobile app
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#187 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:27 am

Dansby Swanson, Josh Donaldson expected to make spring debut Friday

https://www.talkingchop.com/2019/2/25/18240433/dansby-swanson-josh-donaldson-spring-training-debut-friday-atlanta-braves

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#188 » by HMFFL » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:29 am

Atlanta Braves: last-ditch effort to sign Craig Kimbrel

There have been no indications that the Atlanta Braves have made any offers or even expressed interest in Craig Kimbrel. But we are fans, and we can’t help ourselves.

With a rumor coming out this week — which was said to be ‘utterly false’ by Kimbrel’s agent — that the closer was willing to sit out this season if his demands aren’t met, I think it’s time for the Braves to give Kimbrel some hope and love.

Early this offseason Kimbrel was looking for a six-year contract for around $100 million. Based on what he’s done in his career, you can understand why Kimbrel thinks his value is this high. https://tomahawktake.com/2019/02/25/atlanta-braves-last-ditch-effort-sign-craig-kimbrel/

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#189 » by HMFFL » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:38 am

HMFFL wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:Seems like Harper to Philly feels like a done deal at this point. Would definitely have us fighting for a wild card spot at best, barring injury.
I really hope it's SD or LA.
I would like for him to be out of our division.

Philly is concerned that Harper will sign with LA.

http://www.sportingnews.com/us/mlb/news/mlb-hot-stove-phillies-offered-bryce-harper-more-than-300-million/ubjm2luwhoqm11f3icgo3vu34

King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,386

Post#190 » by King Ken » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:10 am

Checking in again but this time on this subforum and not the Hawks: Atlanta is still talking with Harper's reps and Harper is open as well. Bryce doesn't want to play in Philly. Wants a play for a big market club who can contend. Braves are on the list with the Cubs, Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees and returning to the Nats. It's about his marketing brand. He wants to play for a contender as well. So it's more than just about money unlike with Machado. That said, Boras is making crazy demands with Philly and it's just not happening. They have the best offer by far but he wants what he feels is a sound offer from a contender.

I asked what is our chances, he said no one knows but don't count out the Cubs. A lot of internal "players" push for him but the same can be said for the Braves. Phillies are all in but they will have to offer a Trout-like offer for Harper and that's something I don't think is an option for them.

I also asked about Kimbrel. He said the Braves have not offered him and don't plan too. Kimbrel wants too much money and most teams want him to take market value. There is not one player who has grossly overvalued himself like Kimbrel. Teams are willing to Donaldson contract him but not for years. Seems like some league collusion for his FAcy. Teams want to reset that reliever market from his take.

Personally, I think Liberty is open to a big signing as well. That said, I don't know if that's Harper. I am sure it's not Kimbrel.
ATL Boy
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#191 » by ATL Boy » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:48 am

Would really set Philly back to miss out on Harper. They just unloaded the farm system on Realmuto and will have to give up a pick for signing McCutchen. Makes for a solid lineup but that team is not a serious WS contender as is currently constructed. Realmuto will be hitting FA in two seasons so the window is right now.

Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#192 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:58 pm

King Ken wrote:Checking in again but this time on this subforum and not the Hawks: Atlanta is still talking with Harper's reps and Harper is open as well. Bryce doesn't want to play in Philly. Wants a play for a big market club who can contend. Braves are on the list with the Cubs, Dodgers, Red Sox, Yankees and returning to the Nats. It's about his marketing brand. He wants to play for a contender as well. So it's more than just about money unlike with Machado. That said, Boras is making crazy demands with Philly and it's just not happening. They have the best offer by far but he wants what he feels is a sound offer from a contender.

I asked what is our chances, he said no one knows but don't count out the Cubs. A lot of internal "players" push for him but the same can be said for the Braves. Phillies are all in but they will have to offer a Trout-like offer for Harper and that's something I don't think is an option for them.

I also asked about Kimbrel. He said the Braves have not offered him and don't plan too. Kimbrel wants too much money and most teams want him to take market value. There is not one player who has grossly overvalued himself like Kimbrel. Teams are willing to Donaldson contract him but not for years. Seems like some league collusion for his FAcy. Teams want to reset that reliever market from his take.

Personally, I think Liberty is open to a big signing as well. That said, I don't know if that's Harper. I am sure it's not Kimbrel.

I live in the Nats market, and I haven't heard even 1 word about the Braves talking to Harper or his people. Supposedly, he's also talked to SD and SF. I don't see the Yankees as a possibility because they have kinda good corner OFers. And Boston doesn't want the lux tax hit.

Not sure what Kimbrell has to do to prove he's worth something like 50 mil over 3 years. He still had a WHIP under 1 last season and 13.9 SO's per 9. 42 saves, 5 wins, and 1 loss.
King Ken
General Manager
And1: 5,386

Post#193 » by King Ken » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:02 pm

ATL Boy wrote:Would really set Philly back to miss out on Harper. They just unloaded the farm system on Realmuto and will have to give up a pick for signing McCutchen. Makes for a solid lineup but that team is not a serious WS contender as is currently constructed. Realmuto will be hitting FA in two seasons so the window is right now.

They still have the best shot. They are offering more than anyone but he wants a Trout deal from them
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#194 » by Ruzious » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:32 pm

King Ken wrote:
ATL Boy wrote:Would really set Philly back to miss out on Harper. They just unloaded the farm system on Realmuto and will have to give up a pick for signing McCutchen. Makes for a solid lineup but that team is not a serious WS contender as is currently constructed. Realmuto will be hitting FA in two seasons so the window is right now.

They still have the best shot. They are offering more than anyone but he wants a Trout deal from them

Really sounds like... Well, if they offer me a lot more than anyone else, I'll suck it up and consider them.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#195 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:05 pm

Mike Foltynewicz will not make his scheduled Grapefruit League start on Friday due to elbow soreness.

Never a good thing. Folty worked two strong innings in his Grapefruit League debut Sunday versus the Astros, but came out of that appearance with some discomfort in his throwing arm. There should be an update on his status by the weekend. The 27-year-old carries a good amount of fantasy hype into 2019 after pitching to a 2.85 ERA and 202/68 K/BB ratio over 183 innings (31 starts) last season.
Source: Mark Bowman on Twitter
Feb 28, 2019, 8:34 AM

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#196 » by HMFFL » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:05 pm

Kevin Gausman is dealing with some shoulder discomfort in Braves camp.

There is no set date for his first appearance in a Grapefruit League game. The issue is being downplayed for now, but obviously the clock is ticking with exactly four weeks to go until Opening Day. Gausman posted a strong 2.87 ERA over 10 starts for the Braves last season following a July 31 trade from the Orioles.
Source: David O'Brien on Twitter
Feb 28, 2019, 8:39 AM

Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#197 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:16 pm

Read on Twitter
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#198 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Mar 1, 2019 2:29 pm

Mark Bowman is now saying, that the Braves have begun showing interest in Keuchel. The Braves have 2 starters experiencing discomfort in their arms, in Spring Training.
Ruzious
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#199 » by Ruzious » Fri Mar 1, 2019 3:37 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Mark Bowman is now saying, that the Braves have begun showing interest in Keuchel. The Braves have 2 starters experiencing discomfort in their arms, in Spring Training.

Really 4 - Soroka, Folty, Gausman and Gohara. Yeah, at this point I'm very concerned about the sore arms. Sure, sign Keuchel.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#200 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Mar 1, 2019 4:08 pm

Ruzious wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:Mark Bowman is now saying, that the Braves have begun showing interest in Keuchel. The Braves have 2 starters experiencing discomfort in their arms, in Spring Training.

Really 4 - Soroka, Folty, Gausman and Gohara. Yeah, at this point I'm very concerned about the sore arms. Sure, sign Keuchel.

Nice of you to come around on him. :-P I kid I kid

And sign Kimbrel ;)

Return to Atlanta Braves