ImageImageImageImage

OT - Red Sox Trade for Gonzo, Sign Crawford

CelticTillDeath
Rookie
And1: 348

OT - Red Sox Trade for Gonzo, Sign Crawford 

Post#1 » by CelticTillDeath » Thu Dec 9, 2010 5:17 am

I know this is a Celtics forum, but this is really big news.

As im sure most of you know, the Sox acquired gold glove slugging first baseman Adrian Gonzales via trade earlier in the week, and have now just announced that they signed gold glove, speed man, outfielder Carl Crawford. Both got pretty steep contracts, Gonzo getting a 7 year 157 million dollar deal, and Crawford getting a 7 year 142 million dollar deal. Obviously a few world series will make the fans forget about those big bucks.

The real reason im posting this is, with the Pats standing at 10-2 and playing some of the best football in the NFL, the C's holding an early lead in the Eastern Conference with even more help on the way from people healing from injuries, and now the Sox acquiring two Allstar/Superstar type players, is it possible we could win titles in all 3 major sports this year? Has any other city accomplished such a feat? With the way the Pats are playing, the way the C's are playing, and now this, it seems like a real possibility, should everyone on every team stay healthy. Knock on wood of course. :wink:

We need to cherish these teams while we have them, because this kind of power in 3 major sports doesnt happen too often. It sure is a good time to be a Boston sports fan. 8-)
mwhis21
Analyst
And1: 1,065

Re: OT - Red Sox Trade for Gonzo, Sign Crawford 

Post#2 » by mwhis21 » Thu Dec 9, 2010 10:55 am

It's been a good time to be a Boston sports fan since about 2001. I mean this past decade has been nothing short of spectacular.

3 Superbowl Wins, 2 World Series, 1 NBA Championship...the perennial chokers the Bruins have been great in the regular season.

The Pats look like they will be contenders for the next 3-5 years, the Sox for the next 5-7 years and the Bruins are set-up very well for the futures.

Cmon Celts, find that fountain of youth!
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#3 » by GuyClinch » Thu Dec 9, 2010 5:30 pm

I don't get the crawford deal. Seems like a lot of money for a left fielder who doesn't hit with power. I'd rate it as quite stupid. Basically he is being paid like Manny was. I seen Crawford and he sure the hell doesn't hit like Manny - or draw walks like Manny.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#4 » by greenbeans » Thu Dec 9, 2010 5:43 pm

GuyClinch wrote:I don't get the crawford deal. Seems like a lot of money for a left fielder who doesn't hit with power. I'd rate it as quite stupid. Basically he is being paid like Manny was. I seen Crawford and he sure the hell doesn't hit like Manny - or draw walks like Manny.

The salaries, they are a changin...

He doesn't hit or draw walks like Manny, but he plays defense and gives effort tenfold compared to Manny.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#5 » by Dirty Water » Thu Dec 9, 2010 5:50 pm

yeah salaries are going up. if 2000 manny were to get a contract this year the deal would be over 200 mill
Joselo16
Veteran
And1: 16

Post#6 » by Joselo16 » Thu Dec 9, 2010 10:53 pm

Love the Gonzo move, just not too sold on Crawford. Its a little shocking that the Sox have decided to shell out so much money and for so many years this offseason, great additions on paper though, its nice seeing them aggressive after the past few years of setting a max years for contracts to 4, now we have 2 at 6 or7 years, but heck its not my money!!! I didn't like that 2 year bridge seasons Theo mentioned, guess owners didn't want to lose money on the idea! If they would have done the same with Texeira, he would be on this team. Also didn't like Martinez leaving, though. Should be an interesting season, hopefully Jacoby can stay on the field, and actually set the table for the rest.
You have just been Perk'd!!!
GuyClinch
RealGM
And1: 1,478

Post#7 » by GuyClinch » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:46 pm

He doesn't hit or draw walks like Manny, but he plays defense and gives effort tenfold compared to Manny.

So you can get some scrub to give effort in left field and play D - without paying him 20 million per. Our left fielder should be hitting 40 home runs - not 10. I just hope that the Sox have some secret chart that shows Crawford leads the league in high opposite field fly balls or something. Cause honestly this move makes little sense.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#8 » by Dirty Water » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:36 pm

GuyClinch wrote:

So you can get some scrub to give effort in left field and play D - without paying him 20 million per. Our left fielder should be hitting 40 home runs - not 10. I just hope that the Sox have some secret chart that shows Crawford leads the league in high opposite field fly balls or something. Cause honestly this move makes little sense.

If you're GM tell me your big plan that would be any better than what Theo has done this offseason.. I'm curious.
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#9 » by greenbeans » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:27 pm

GuyClinch wrote:

I don't know what guy you've been watching, but he's not just a scrub defensive slap hitter.
The guy plays elite defense and is one of the more consistent players since entering the league, playing 150+ games every year except for two and hitting above .300 5 out of those 8 years.

This isn't 1999, there aren't 20 corner outfielders hitting 30hr's at 14mil per. There were only 5, in all of baseball last year, to hit 30 or above.

No need to just hate on the move, especially if you don't know what you're talking about
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#10 » by sunshinekids99 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 2:59 am

GuyClinch wrote:

10 homeruns? Come on man have you seen the guy play? Crawford was 14th in the american league in slugging last season. 19 homeruns, 13 triples, and 30 doubles sure works for me. Not to mention silly amount of speed and a gold glove.
Bluewhale
General Manager
And1: 283

Post#11 » by Bluewhale » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:57 pm

If Crawford could play at current level to age 35 (look at Damon), then I am fine with this investment even without 20 HR. This is the slugger First Base price tag, but when you have chance to add ELITE player without healthy concern, it is not a bad move.

Return to Boston Red Sox