ImageImageImageImage

Red Sox Snub Theo Epstein

Selanne
Ballboy
And1: 0

Red Sox Snub Theo Epstein 

Post#1 » by Selanne » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:44 am

The Boston Red Sox snubbed their former GM by not inviting him to their Fenway celebration. I think that's disgusting and doesn't reflect well on the organization. Theo was instrumental in building the team into a World Series champion. Not once but twice.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Re: Red Sox Snub Theo Epstein 

Post#2 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:25 am

Well Theo kinda made it up by crapping on his former buddy in that trade. Byrd for Bowden? ehhhhh...
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,252

Post#3 » by thesack12 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:50 am

Celtics_Champs wrote:Well Theo kinda made it up by crapping on his former buddy in that trade. Byrd for Bowden? ehhhhh...

I actually think it was a pretty solid move for the Sox.

Sox had already DFA'd Bowden, so he wasn't in the plans. Byrd is in the final year of his contract, and Chicago sent cash to cover most of his salary this season. I'm not a Byrd fan, but Boston is in dire need of OF help and all things considered he is a solid pickup IMO. He will join a current platoon of Ross/Sweeney/McDonald/Repko. McDonald and Repko are both terrible and ideally both would never play. I like Byrd much better than both those guys. Even if Byrd does nothing he won't be worse than either McD or Repko.

As for Theo, was he indeed not invited? I know the Cubs had a game at the time of the event, so Theo wasn't able to come. But if he actually wasn't invited, that is pretty bush league.
Dirty Water
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#4 » by Dirty Water » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:31 pm

LOL Bowden has been a mop-up guy since 2009 and Sox never put any faith in him ever. I'll make that trade 99 times out of 100. Byrd already looks more than capable of being a decent replacement centerfielder. Dude got hit in the face with a baseball last year, that has ended guys careers after them never being the same. He can be a great addition for us if he even becomes anything like the guy he was before that. Solid track record, a change in venue could get him some confidence.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,252

Post#5 » by thesack12 » Mon May 7, 2012 3:21 am

The Byrd trade is shaping up as a good move, as he has been solid. Byrd has been better than any of McDonald/Repko/Anderson. Unfortunately, Sox haven't won too many games since aquiring him. Thats not on Marlon though.

I just wish Bobby V wasn't on this fetish of only starting Sweeney against righties. Sweeney has definitely earned regular playing time regardless of who's on the mound. With Ells and Crawford on the shelf, the everyday OF should be Ross/Byrd/Sweeney.

Return to Boston Red Sox