ImageImageImageImage

Offseason outlook/Trade ideas

Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,971

Re: Offseason outlook/Trade ideas 

Post#41 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:45 am

Thanks, I was tired of all these GarNOT sigs on the GB, thought I would make my own.

And yeah, I think Boras will come back to boston too. Does he really want one of his top tier FA's signing with the nationals?
greenbeans
RealGM
And1: 14,099

Post#42 » by greenbeans » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:01 pm

Soooooooooo..... I guess John Henry wasn't bluffing.

Well Theo, time to earn that paycheck. I know Tex wasn't a necessity, but I'd still like to see us make a significant upgrade this offseason. I'm all over the idea of prying Prince out of Milwaukee. I was hoping for a day of feelgood stories about our new #3 hitter, now this. ugh.
Mr. Chunk
Junior
And1: 0

Post#43 » by Mr. Chunk » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:08 pm

Preemptive bitchslap to the sportswriter that derides whatever FA the Sox sign next. 'They passed on Teixeira and signed [insert FA here]? Really?'

That's totally weak, hypothetical sportswriter.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#44 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:17 am

Trade for Fielder. Or Peavy. Or Both.

I can''t wait to boo the **** out of tex.
jcfinaticholla5
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#45 » by jcfinaticholla5 » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:48 am

Now that teixera missed out on the Sox, there's only one thing to do. What beats good hitting? GOOD PITCHING.... its time to reach out to Peavy trade talks and begin thinking about putting Bowden, Bard or Buchholz possible out as trade bait along with lugo who could help the padres bare middle of the infield. Pick up talks with Derek Lowe whose always been clutch for the Sox but also carries a career 6.07 era vs the yanks, and start talking to Ben Sheets who in his only start vs the yankees shut them out and held them to 2 hits through 7 innings and Oliver Perez who is a career 5-1 vs the Yankees. And also sure up the bullpen by getting either Joe, Nelson or Beimel. Sure Prince Fielder would be a great addition, but who would you subtract? Lars Anderson is a top 50 prospect with a sweet swing thats great for average and power and he will be major league ready very soon. Dont forget also Lowell was the WS MVP in 2007, so if healthy, he will be just as dangerous as teixera could of been in a sox uniform. And ive heard Darvish wants to win 200 games in Japan before coming to America, but dont believe everything you hear, America''s past time is becoming a business and its not a game any more, its a business, just ask monopoly men george steinbrenner and cashman, and with darvish's dad living in the New England area, and the japanese population in the Red Sox system increasing, Darvish could be a CY of relief next year if the sox can reel him into Fenway. Just some thoughts feel free to let me know what you think
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by Celtics_Champs » Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:54 pm

Sox close to signing Penny

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8997 ... o-rotation

The Red Sox are closing in on a deal with free agent Brad Penny, FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal reports
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:27 am

Take 2.

Josh Bard signs 1 year deal with the sox, according to the herald.

Also brad penny deal is 1 year 5 million, with incentives, and expected to be finalized tomorrow.

Theo finally getting his hands dirty.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#48 » by sunshinekids99 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:28 am

So it looks like the deal will come tomorrow it will be 1 year at 5 million with an additional 3 million in incentives. Seems like a solid deal for the Sox. Penny does have very good stuff and if his arm is right we should be good. Really minimal risk in a 1 year deal for a former all-star pitcher.

The team has also come to an agreement with old friend Josh Bard to a 1 year no guarenteed contract. Also a solid move for the team. Bard is not a starter in this league, but could be solid as a backup. Still like to see if they can get a younger catcher from somewhere.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by sunshinekids99 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:29 am

Beat me to it CC.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#50 » by Celtics_Champs » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:31 am

^lol, sadly, in the off-season I am constantly checking rotoworld and the globes blog. In the words of dale arnold "We are going to have a whole 'nother month, to talk about this stuff." (no patriots)

Anway, found this on there:

According to SI.com, the Red Sox made a play for Hanley Ramirez after losing out on Mark Teixeira, but weren't able to get very far in talks with the Marlins.

Hmm. Thats not the first time we have heard that name mentioned to come back to boston.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by sunshinekids99 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:21 am

I just don't see the Marlins wanting to move him at this point. He just doesn't make enough money at this point. In a few years that could be an option tho.

Also it appears that the Sox are still interested in John Smoltz. The signing does not preclude the Sox from continuing to pursue fellow free agent John Smoltz. However, Penny is expected to be healthy at the start of the 2009 season while Smoltz will not be major league ready until late May. That is from Sean McAdam of the Herald.
Celts09
Pro Prospect
And1: 2

Post#52 » by Celts09 » Sat Jan 3, 2009 7:25 pm

The trade talks lasted about 20 seconds. haha

http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/12936/20090103/hanley_to_boston_trade_talks_lasted_20_seconds/
Theo Epstein called Marlins GM Larry Beinfest ten days after the GM meetings and asked him if he were interested inm trading Hanley Ramirez for a package including Jacoby Ellsbury and Clay Buchholz.

"No," replied Beinfest. End of discussion. "The entire conversation," says one club official, "lasted all of 20 seconds, a week before Thanksgiving.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by sunshinekids99 » Sun Jan 4, 2009 9:39 pm

Sox make an offer to Takashi Saito. He is 39 years old, but seems like a good gamble for the Sox. He's put up some great numbers in LA and ,if his elbow is right, could be a valuable pitcher for the team.

From rotoworld.com

According to the Boston Globe, the Red Sox made an offer to Takashi Saito after he wsa non-tendered by the Dodgers.
The Saito market has been surprisingly quiet since he was let go. He'd seem to be a really good gamble for a large-market team, especially since he'd be under control for three years even after being given a one-year deal
Celts09
Pro Prospect

Post#54 » by Celts09 » Mon Jan 5, 2009 3:43 am

Takashi Saito Career statistics (through September 12, 2008)
Win-Loss 11-6
Earned run average 1.86
Strikeouts 238
Saves 80
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Jan 5, 2009 5:03 am

Wow, I had no idea he was that old.
Celts09
Pro Prospect

Post#56 » by Celts09 » Mon Jan 5, 2009 8:17 pm

http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/12962/20090105/sox_varitek_now_discussing_shorter_deal/

Sox and Varitek talking about a shorter contract.

Providence Journal - Catcher Jason Varitek and his agent, Scott Boras, wanted a deal similar to his four-year, $40 million pact that recently ended, but the Red Sox weren't interested.

It is now believed that Varitek and the Red Sox are discussing a shorter contract, according to a report in the Providence Journal.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Celtics_Champs » Mon Jan 5, 2009 8:29 pm

Am I the only one who feels this off-season has turned into a snoozefest? I can't wait for spring training.
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,551

Post#58 » by canman1971 » Tue Jan 6, 2009 1:22 am

Celtics_Champs wrote:Am I the only one who feels this off-season has turned into a snoozefest? I can't wait for spring training.

It has been. But at some point, I feel it will pick up. Just a slow start with the economy. I heard somewhere that out of the 200+ players who file for FA, only like 65 or so have signed, so the economy is affecting things. Now, the Sox may not do much, but you never know.
Celtics_Champs
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#59 » by Celtics_Champs » Wed Jan 7, 2009 5:26 pm

According to the Boston Herald, John Smoltz is the "top target" for the Red Sox in their search for starting pitching depth.

Smoltz is expected to begin meeting with teams next week and the Sox have already been told that they are contenders. The 41-year-old might not be ready to pitch until May, but that shouldn't be a problem for Boston.

Interesting. Would he take wakes spot in the rotation?

Beckett
Dice
Lester
Penny
Smoltz/Wake
canman1971
Senior Mod - Celtics
Senior Mod - Celtics
And1: 8,551

Post#60 » by canman1971 » Wed Jan 7, 2009 7:17 pm

Smoltz won't be ready until May, so by then, things tend to work themselves out. If things were going well, you could bring him along slower until something does happen. But, Wake would be the obvious choice. There were rumors back in early Nov that he may retire.

Return to Boston Red Sox