Image Image Image Image

This team is a playoff team.

SephCast
Bench Warmer
And1: 95

This team is a playoff team. 

Post#1 » by SephCast » Mon May 7, 2007 1:49 am

Our lineup is deadly. When we have the right hitters playing, there is not one automatic out. There's no Alex S. Gonzalez, no Neifi Perez, no Jose Macias, no Jerry Hairston. We're not striking out anymore, we're making contact. We're patient at the plate. Theriot, DeRosa, Floyd, and Jones are being incredible complementary hitters. Derrek Lee and Aramis are doing their usual. Soriano added a whole new dimension to the team. Pie is also an x factor.

Our pitching staff is looking good. If Angel Guzman can give us performances like today's at least every other outing, we should be in good shape. Zambrano is bound to turn it around.

I feel really good about this team.

Now, if only we could field this lineup every day, I'd be happy.

LF - Soriano
SS - Theriot
1B - Lee
3B - Ramirez
CF - Jones
RF - Floyd
C - Barrett
2B - DeRosa
P - Pitcher
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#2 » by SportsWorld » Mon May 7, 2007 1:56 am

Alex S. Gonzalez was our clutch hitter but yeah I agree with you. I am in love with our lineup. I wish Murton could play over Floyd though.
The Riot is really playing well and is quickly turning into one of my favorite Cubs. If only Soriano can play better.
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#3 » by Posey H8er » Mon May 7, 2007 3:15 am

Soriano will turn it around at start hitting HR's. I just want some more consistency in our bullpen and another starting pitcher.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#4 » by GYBE » Mon May 7, 2007 2:17 pm

I still want Theriot batting leadoff.

8)
Ruben Douglas
Veteran
And1: 25

Post#5 » by Ruben Douglas » Mon May 7, 2007 4:15 pm

I'd rather have Theriot batting leadoff as well, right now. It'd be nice if Pie got some time to pull it together. Then have him leadoff with Theriot batting 2, Lee, Ramirez, Soriano, Floyd, DeRosa, Barrett.
treyZz
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#6 » by treyZz » Mon May 7, 2007 10:59 pm

It'd be nice to see Jones not playing baseball in a Cubs uniform.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#7 » by SportsWorld » Mon May 7, 2007 11:36 pm

Hey! He took one for the team yesterday (HBP) The only thing he has done all year. Bring in Ervin Santana.
SephCast
Bench Warmer
And1: 95

Post#8 » by SephCast » Tue May 8, 2007 8:02 am

Why the hell do you guys hate Jones? He's batting 300 and is a decent outfielder. I never understood all the hate for Jones.
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#9 » by 2poor » Tue May 8, 2007 1:50 pm

I got no beef with Jones, he was a good player in Minnesota and I'm still convinced that he just had to get past that first year in a Cubs uniform before he could settle in.

Need I remind people that in December of 2001 we got some scrub named Alou who played like a scrub for a year, before being an instrumental part of our playoff run come the next year? ;)

To the OP, I feel the same way. Gonzalez was a schmuck. He'd put up decent April/early-May numbers before beginning the spiral down to a .220 average and 120-130 strikeouts. The other guys were just bodies, and we don't have any more players like that.

Izturis has been a minor disappointment, but I still think its too early to tell. In the meantime Theriot has been fantastic and I'm fine with him getting the starts at SS.

Still need to move an OF, but IMO its starting to look like moving Murton makes the most sense. I know he's a fan favorite, but it he seems like the least valuable to our roster while being the most valuable on the trade market. Young and skilled, needs ABs. We need veterans who are ready to tend to business as usual. I don't honestly see him being here long-term, and in the meantime we have the serviceable OFs (veterans no less) who seem like much better fits.

My ideal lineup (for now)

SS Theriot
LF Soriano
1B Lee
3B Ramirez
C Barrett
RF Floyd/Jones
2B DeRosa
CF Pie/Jones
P -
RyGuy24
General Manager
And1: 107

Post#10 » by RyGuy24 » Tue May 8, 2007 9:31 pm

SportsWorld wrote:Hey! He took one for the team yesterday (HBP) The only thing he has done all year. Bring in Ervin Santana.

Jones for Santana? Yes (though we will need to throw in much more).

Only thing he has done for us all year? What are you watching? What's he have to do to please? He's a bargain at his price and has only improved his career numbers since arriving.
R.I.P Red , Norm, Bullsmaniac, and pdenninggolden.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#11 » by SportsWorld » Tue May 8, 2007 9:40 pm

His stats look so much better than they should be. He strikes out in clutch situations and hits into a ton of double plays.
treyZz
Banned User

Post#12 » by treyZz » Wed May 9, 2007 12:29 am

SephCast wrote:Why the hell do you guys hate Jones? He's batting 300 and is a decent outfielder. I never understood all the hate for Jones.

Decent outfielder?

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono:
Posey H8er
RealGM

Post#13 » by Posey H8er » Wed May 9, 2007 12:36 am

treyZz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Decent outfielder?

:rofl:
RyGuy24
General Manager

Post#14 » by RyGuy24 » Wed May 9, 2007 2:43 am

treyZz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Decent outfielder?

Yes.

He has been great in center, and the only problem with him in right is his throwing arm, which has been studied to be one of the most overrated attributes to consider in overall defense. A good arm helps you and can contribute to be a gold glove calibur player, but a bad arm doesn't hurt as much as people think (though i'll admitt last year this came up a little more than normal). As far is Jones' positional D, it has been fine this year and last year from what ive seen.

I'd trade Jones in a heartbeat if it meant an overall upgrade in talent or at least potential talent, but you don't just give up a guy like him because we have a logjam. As I said before, any hitter who will be at around .280/.335 with 25-30 hr's will be signed in the offseason for alot more than Jones is currently signed for. It just seems to me like people booed the guy for a bad month or two last year and decided they won't like him ever since then, despite his great finish to the season and good start to this one.
RyGuy24
General Manager

Post#15 » by RyGuy24 » Wed May 9, 2007 3:48 am

Thanks for backing up my support of you Jacque.
treyZz
Banned User

Post#16 » by treyZz » Wed May 9, 2007 3:48 am

RyGuy24 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yes.

He has been great in center, and the only problem with him in right is his throwing arm, which has been studied to be one of the most overrated attributes to consider in overall defense. A good arm helps you and can contribute to be a gold glove calibur player, but a bad arm doesn't hurt as much as people think (though i'll admitt last year this came up a little more than normal). As far is Jones' positional D, it has been fine this year and last year from what ive seen.

I'd trade Jones in a heartbeat if it meant an overall upgrade in talent or at least potential talent, but you don't just give up a guy like him because we have a logjam. As I said before, any hitter who will be at around .280/.335 with 25-30 hr's will be signed in the offseason for alot more than Jones is currently signed for. It just seems to me like people booed the guy for a bad month or two last year and decided they won't like him ever since then, despite his great finish to the season and good start to this one.

I really hope you saw that play in the 12th inning.
treyZz
Banned User

Post#17 » by treyZz » Wed May 9, 2007 3:49 am

RyGuy24 wrote:Thanks for backing up my support of you Jacque.

:lol: :wink:
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#18 » by GYBE » Wed May 9, 2007 11:31 am

I'd say I'm in the middle on Jones.

On the one hand, I do think the fans/us go overboard with our critcism of him, probably because everyone hated the signing when it happened and his slow start last year. He also strikes out alot, which isn't that bad, but draws the ire of fans. A weak arm just adds to the perception of his general suckiness. He's not nearly as bad as he's made out to be and is a very serviceable OF option for a decent team.

On the other hand, even the staunchest Jones backers have to admit he has some glaring holes in his game, he can be very inconsistent and he doesn't fit into the future of the franchise. He's also taking at bats away from younger options like Pie and Murton.

If Hendry finds a good deal, I'd be happy to see him dealt. Even an okay deal. But we shouldn't just give away a decent player for nothing.

8)
Posey H8er
RealGM

Post#19 » by Posey H8er » Wed May 9, 2007 5:13 pm

GYBE wrote:I'd say I'm in the middle on Jones.

On the one hand, I do think the fans/us go overboard with our critcism of him, probably because everyone hated the signing when it happened and his slow start last year. He also strikes out alot, which isn't that bad, but draws the ire of fans. A weak arm just adds to the perception of his general suckiness. He's not nearly as bad as he's made out to be and is a very serviceable OF option for a decent team.

On the other hand, even the staunchest Jones backers have to admit he has some glaring holes in his game, he can be very inconsistent and he doesn't fit into the future of the franchise. He's also taking at bats away from younger options like Pie and Murton.

If Hendry finds a good deal, I'd be happy to see him dealt. Even an okay deal. But we shouldn't just give away a decent player for nothing.

8)

I agree a bit with the idea of criticism.

If a team gets desperate for another OF, then they may give up something more for Jones.

Return to Chicago Cubs