Image Image Image Image

Pie sent down for PAGAN?

treyZz
Banned User
And1: 0

Pie sent down for PAGAN? 

Post#1 » by treyZz » Thu May 10, 2007 4:41 pm

:noway: :noway: :noway:

Someone just told me they heard this on the radio.. I don't think he would lie, but he can be a freak sometimes. Can anyone confirm this?

If this is true - wow.

Pie needs to play everyday - I don't really think he needs to prove anything else in AAA. He's not going to learn how to hit ML pitching in the minors.

Pagan was terrible in Iowa - .250 / 3hr / 9rbi - But I guess it makes sense if Lou wanted a righty OF that could play CF.
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#2 » by 2poor » Thu May 10, 2007 4:54 pm

Confirmed. Image

Cubs.com wrote:The Chicago Cubs today recalled switch-hitting outfielder Angel Pagan from Triple-A Iowa. In a corresponding roster move, left-handed hitting outfielder Felix Pie was optioned to Iowa.

Pagan, 25, made his Major League debut with the Cubs last season after his contract was purchased from the New York Mets January 25, 2006. In 77 games, he batted .247 with five home runs and 18 RBI while appearing in all three outfield positions. He hit .464 (13-for-28) over an eight-game stretch from July 28-August 6, almost two months after returning from a strained left hamstring he suffered April 15 in Pittsburgh.

This season with Iowa, Pagan is hitting .250 (29-for-116) with three home runs and nine RBI in 33 games, including a .308 average (8-for-26) with three home runs and five RBI in May.

Pie, 22, was recalled from Iowa April 17 and went on to bat .224 (11-for-49) with a home run and 4 RBI in 18 games for the Cubs. He went 1-for-6 with a double and RBI in his Major League debut April 17 vs. San Diego and hit his first career home run April 27 at St. Louis off Anthony Reyes.

link
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#3 » by 2poor » Thu May 10, 2007 4:57 pm

My sentiments exactly.
Robert23
Starter
And1: 18

Post#4 » by Robert23 » Thu May 10, 2007 4:58 pm

treyZz
Banned User

Post#5 » by treyZz » Thu May 10, 2007 5:05 pm

2poor wrote:(picture)

My sentiments exactly.

Indeed..

I don't expect us to win the division if Lou doesn't want to field the best team possible.

What has Pie got to prove in triple A? Nothing..

He's not going to learn how to hit ML pitching in the minors..

Why did they even bother bringing him up if they weren't going to keep him up? I hate when teams do that.

Hopefully Felix stays healthy down in Iowa.
2poor
RealGM

Post#6 » by 2poor » Thu May 10, 2007 5:13 pm

The only explanation I can offer is that Lou realizes that he's in a predicament with the glut of OFs, so until they move someone (or multiple guys), he needs guys who can embrace the "platoon" role.

Pie needs to start every day, and I'm sure Lou knows this. So while the Cubs get their roster sorted out Felix can continue beating up on AAA pitching while waiting for space to clear.

:dontknow:
Robert23
Starter
And1: 18

Re: Pie sent down for PAGAN? 

Post#7 » by Robert23 » Thu May 10, 2007 5:16 pm

treyZz wrote::noway: :noway: :noway:

Someone just told me they heard this on the radio.. I don't think he would lie, but he can be a freak sometimes. Can anyone confirm this?

If this is true - wow.

Pie needs to play everyday - I don't really think he needs to prove anything else in AAA. He's not going to learn how to hit ML pitching in the minors.

Pagan was terrible in Iowa - .250 / 3hr / 9rbi - But I guess it makes sense if Lou wanted a righty OF that could play CF.

Pie does need to play everyday and he's not going to get that at this point with the Cubs. And he still needs to work on a few things hitting wise and it is much easier to do against lower level pitching. I bet he comes back up in a month or two and is a much better hitter.
2poor
RealGM

Post#8 » by 2poor » Thu May 10, 2007 8:17 pm

Pagan with a single and a homer. :lol:
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#9 » by SportsWorld » Thu May 10, 2007 8:43 pm

At least Jones didn't start.
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#10 » by Posey H8er » Thu May 10, 2007 8:52 pm

ehh, send Jones down
treyZz
Banned User

Post#11 » by treyZz » Fri May 11, 2007 12:06 am

2poor wrote:Pagan with a single and a homer. :lol:

Great for Pagan..

He was struggling in Iowa.. Impressive debut in '07 though..

Jones still needs to go!
2poor
RealGM

Post#12 » by 2poor » Fri May 11, 2007 3:45 pm

treyZz is sure to like this:

ChicagoSports.com wrote:Jacque Jones figures to sit against most left-handers from now on. He's 3-for-17 (.176) against lefties and stranded nine baserunners Wednesday.

Jones was said to have answered back at fans seated down the first-base line after they heckled him in the eighth inning, but Piniella didn't seem concerned.

"He fights himself at times," Piniella said. "What you need to do when you're struggling is learn to relax. He has done a real nice job in center field and, until the last couple of days he has been on the rise with the bat. I think in a short period of time you'll see him get hot again for us."

link
2poor
RealGM

Post#13 » by 2poor » Fri May 11, 2007 3:46 pm

Also, regarding Pie's eventual return:

Chicago Sun-Times wrote:''It was early in the season for me to sit veterans,'' manager Lou Piniella said. ''You've got to give them more time, and that's exactly what we did. If there's an injury or whatever reason and we bring Pie up again, we'll put him out there to play. But right now wasn't the time, in April or May, to sit veteran players down. You give them more time and you give them more respect.''

Hendry said he's confident Pie will be back this season.

''Absolutely,'' he said. ''And he'll be playing here for a long time.''

link

Return to Chicago Cubs