Image Image Image Image

I'm Invading Chicago

GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

I'm Invading Chicago 

Post#1 » by GYBE » Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:42 pm

Alright fellas, I've been waiting for this for a very long time.

This month I'll be seeing my first game at Wrigley.

I'm going to be flying in from Toronto on the morning of the 30th, catch the Cubs/Brewers game in the afternoon and spend a night on the town before leaving on Sunday.

As a foreigner to the Windy City, any help you guys could give me would be appreciated. I'm looking for how to best spend my time after and before the game. I know the bars on Waverly are a big deal, is that better before or after the game? Should I just stay in Wrigleyville or head elsewhere?

And, I need some advice on tickets. Apparently we're unable to get a couple seats together online, only singles. Is scalping pretty much the same as it is anywhere? Any other option for getting tickets?

I was debating between a few weekends, but I really want to see us beat the Brewers in person.

8)
2poor
RealGM
And1: 0
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#2 » by 2poor » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:12 pm

Hmmm, I have 4 bleachers for that very game that I was going to use but its looking like I'll be too busy to make it up that weekend.

A shame, we could've met up and had a :beer:

As for your ticket problems, you have a few options;

-scalpers
-get there early enough and get day of game standing room only tickets
-use the ticket shops located around Wrigley
-buy 2 of the 4 bleacher tickets I have (I'd give you somewhat of a deal, but I need the cash and I know these babies will go for way over face value on eBay)

Oh, as for bars, the ones around Wrigley aren't too bad, particularly on a weekend that features a Brewers/Cubs series. You could also go a bit further south to the Lincoln Park area for some more. There are taxis all over and they can usually take you where you need to go. I'd recommend the CTA though if you're feeling adventurous.

ps. I think you mean the bars on "Waveland," not "Waverly." ;)
Posey H8er
RealGM
And1: 64

Post#3 » by Posey H8er » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:23 pm

In downtown Chicago, Gino's East is always a good choice on Ontario Street, or Ed Debevic's across the street for good value. Superdawg Drive-In is also pretty good even though it's a bit farther away. Some other great Pizza places are Giordano's and Pizzeria Uno

For tickets, you can always try to get bleacher tickets, if available. You can sit wherever you want in the game. You must get there early though to get the best seats. If you go to Cubs.com the day before, usually there are more tickets available.

You should visit Millennium Park, a whole bunch of museums like the Art Institute on Michigan Avenue, the Field Museum on LSD. Also, Navy Pier has a whole bunch of activities. You could also visit the Sears Tower/John Hancock Observatories. I recently took a Chicago Architecture Tour on the Chicago River. It is a great deal. It is located on Michigan Avenue on the River right next to the Wrigley Building.
I'm not too familiar with the bar scene downtown.

Hope this is helpful.

8)
2poor
RealGM
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#4 » by 2poor » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:37 pm

I can almost guarantee that any and all bleacher tickets are gone, but yeah, Wrigley bleachers are the bomb. When I go I get in line way early so you have first dibs on front row seats. Usually have an opportunity to catch a ball or two during BP as well.

You really got me pondering though, I could theoretically meet up with you and your friend, you guys could use those 2 tickets, and myself and my friend (who just so happens to be a Chicago cop) could use the other two and show you around. Not sure you'd find better tour guides than two guys who grew up in the city, one of whom is now a police officer for said city.

Hmmm. :lol:
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#5 » by GYBE » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:57 pm

Well, my friend is actually also my father. And the bleachers always seemed like so much more of a true Cubs experiance, I'd love to be able to buy a couple off of you. And if we can share in a few pints with you, all the better. How much would you want for them? You can PM me if you prefer.

8)
2poor
RealGM

Post#6 » by 2poor » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:10 pm

Surely, I'll shoot you a PM.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#7 » by SportsWorld » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:38 am

LOL I am going to the July 1st game.
Cool that you are finally going to see a Cubs game in person and hopefully you can catch a home run.
As Posey H8er said I would get to the gate early so you can get one of the first few rows in the bleachers.

Return to Chicago Cubs