Image Image Image Image

Cubs @ Dodgers [05/25/07] Game Thread (Game 46 of 162)

mattbulls
Head Coach
And1: 127

Post#81 » by mattbulls » Sat May 26, 2007 5:55 am

Yeah Howry just sit there! YOU PIECE OF SH*T!!!!!!!!!!!
treyZz
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#82 » by treyZz » Sat May 26, 2007 5:55 am

Time to kill this forum.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#83 » by SportsWorld » Sat May 26, 2007 5:57 am

We need to make a forum just for ranting on Bob Howry and Jacque Jones. It would have more posts than the Yankees board.
mattbulls
Head Coach

Post#84 » by mattbulls » Sat May 26, 2007 5:57 am

Heredia
Alf
Farns
Eyre
Howry
etc.

Why must we always have these Bullsh*t Bullpen Pitchers!
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#85 » by SportsWorld » Sat May 26, 2007 5:58 am

Add Hawkins to that list ^^^
mattbulls
Head Coach

Post#86 » by mattbulls » Sat May 26, 2007 6:00 am

I'm so mad! It's not like we were only up 1 run! We were up 3 F*cking Runs!!!! We rallied bigtime and these are supposed to be the wins we build off of!
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#87 » by SportsWorld » Sat May 26, 2007 6:01 am

I just don't get how a bullpen can be so bad.
mattbulls
Head Coach

Post#88 » by mattbulls » Sat May 26, 2007 6:02 am

mattbulls wrote:Heredia
Alf
Farns
Eyre
Howry
LaTrash Hawkins
Ryan Dumpster(good this year somewhat)
Karchner
etc.

Why must we always have these Bullsh*t Bullpen Pitchers!
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#89 » by SportsWorld » Sat May 26, 2007 6:05 am

I remember when LaTroy was complaining about the Wrigley fans booing him. PLAY BETTER YOU DAMN MORON.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#90 » by SportsWorld » Sat May 26, 2007 6:08 am

I find it sad a team with like 7 injuries (Blue Jays) has the same record as us or near us.
mattbulls
Head Coach

Post#91 » by mattbulls » Sat May 26, 2007 6:13 am

SportsWorld wrote:I find it sad a team with like 7 injuries (Blue Jays) has the same record as us or near us.

I become sad when I realize we should be in 1st. But we blow SO MANY games!
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#92 » by Flames24Rulz » Sat May 26, 2007 6:17 am

No lead is safe with this team. I know it's only been 45 games or so, but Piniella has been an awful manager up to this point.
treyZz
Banned User

Post#93 » by treyZz » Sat May 26, 2007 6:18 am

Flames24Rulz wrote:No lead is safe with this team. I know it's only been 45 games or so, but Piniella has been an awful manager up to this point.

Yeah, It's his fault the bullpen Double-Chinned Hendry built cannot get anyone out.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#94 » by SportsWorld » Sat May 26, 2007 6:20 am

Lou has made a few mistakes this year but he isn't the reason we are 4 games below .500.
Lou doesn't go out there and pitch.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#95 » by Flames24Rulz » Sat May 26, 2007 7:14 am

treyZz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah, It's his fault the bullpen Double-Chinned Hendry built cannot get anyone out.

Oh yeah, I completely agree that Hendry assembled a crappy bullpen and wasted way too much money on Howry and Eyre last year. But Piniella can't manage a bullpen. Why would you put Ohman in to face a RIGHTY? Why would you have a struggling Howry in to start the 8th inning? Why would you take Wuertz out after throwing a good 1-2-3 7th inning? He can throw more than one inning. Why not start Guzman in the 8th? He's just handled the pen in a very poor manner this year. I know we don't have many options, but throw your best pitchers out there.

And don't even get me started on the whole Dempster to starter thing. If Lou goes through with that, I'll officially be on the "Fire Lou Piniella" bandwagon.
treyZz
Banned User

Post#96 » by treyZz » Sat May 26, 2007 7:38 am

I would have liked to see Guzman in the 8th. But I think he was going to have him close out the game if the lead was 3-4.

With that said he could have managed the game better, but lets be honest here he doesn't have much to work with.
Bulls69
Head Coach
And1: 417

Post#97 » by Bulls69 » Sat May 26, 2007 2:59 pm

treyZz wrote:Unbelieveable.. Has there ever been a poorer bullpen?

I was at the game our bullpen is horsecrap I'm still pissed.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#98 » by SportsWorld » Sat May 26, 2007 6:37 pm

montree1969 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I was at the game our bullpen is horsecrap I'm still pissed.

http://www.bleedcubbieblue.com/story/20 ... 5214/25031
This Cub fan who was at the game last night summed it up on BCB:
Now back home after personally witnessing that disaster tonight in Dodger Stadium that some call the 2007 Chicago Cubs baseball team, please excuse me as I pour myself a shot or two or three Sauza tequillas. Hmmm, a lot better; now where do I begin?

The flat, lifeless play of the first five innings where Derek Lowe mastered the Cubs bats?

The baserunning error by DLee in the middle of the 7th inning rally that would ultimately prove critical?

The seven run rally in the seventh?

But let me start at the beginning of the end, or rather in the middle of the 8th inning when the right field bullpen door opened and out popped a relief pitcher who jogged towards the mound. Oh sh*t, I thought to myself at the time, why is Piniella taking out Wuertz? Wuertz had relieved Marmol in the 7th inning and had taken down all three Dodgers even though Kent had flown out deep in left center field for the third out. Maybe it was that deep flyball that spooked Piniella, I don't know, but damnit, I hope some press guy asked him after the game. Training my binoculars on the new guy, I immediately recognized Howry - I was actually relieved at first, glad Ohman wasn't coming in. But as I stared as his face - tense, very drawn, exuding no confidence, no strength - I became nervous myself. I turned to my wife and told her, well, if the Cubs are going to blow it, this is where it happens. Since I failed to hex the Dodgers with that comment, of course, it came true.

When Lou came out three batters later with the bases loaded to yank Howry out of the game, I was watching the two intently - there was very little said between them and Lou had that serious-puzzled-pissed off look of his. As Howry walked off the field he seemed to me a broken man and it was very unsettling to witness that. I think that guy has some serious mental toughness confidence issues he has to deal with, but in the meantime this set of relief pitchers are losing some games that should be put away, folks.

Is this was Lou was thinking next? Hmmm, let's see bases loaded no outs, Ethier is up next and he bats left - ah, I get it, I need my lefty, hey, let's get Ohman in! Ohman jogs in and faces...Omedo Saenz, a righty, pinch hitting for Ethier - who hits a single, drives the first run in, and eventually scores the winning 4th run of the inning thereby securing our own Mr. Ohman with the loss. Of course, Ethier was 0 for 3 tonight - does he have killer stats against Howry?

But it would be Angel Guzman who was awarded the Blown Save award of the night with a wild pitch, a walk, a single, and a sacrifice fly thereby scoring 3 runs on his watch.

Meanwhile, all the Dodger fans around us were going crazy and telling us how much the Cubs sucked, immediately forgetting that one inning ago it was their crappy relief pitching that had blown their 5-1 lead. Mercifully, it was a quick end in the ninth inning with a true closer, Saito, on the mound.

So I came away from this game tonight embittered like many other Cubs fans have so far this season, seeing firsthand for myself the poor play that plagues this club:

A costly baserunning plunder.
Poor relief pitching.
A blown lead in the late innings.
A one-run loss.
Weird RP management.

On the bright side, though, I saw an exciting 7 run rally in the seventh, where the Cubs could do no wrong. Lilly picked JuanP off, even after throwing to first several times (to the boos and heckles of the locols) before finally getting him. I also witnessed a rare Jacque Jones hit off a lefthanded pitcher (Beimel) and had to blink twice and pinch myself to believe it actually happened. And the Cubs fan density is still healthy in this part of the world. Best of all, it took me only 5 minutes from the freeway to roll into my parking spot in that parking lot there.

One more tequilla, some sleep, and then I will be ready for Zambrano tomorrow (today).

Return to Chicago Cubs