Image Image Image Image

UPDATE: Sheet Out of (way more) Luck!

Howling Mad
General Manager
And1: 585

UPDATE: Sheet Out of (way more) Luck! 

Post#1 » by Howling Mad » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:54 pm

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Sheets now out 4-6 Weeks. This guy just can't stay healthy can he? Well looks like a downfall and a crumble to me is right around the corner.

Too bad I really wanted to see this play out.

WIRETAP

Ben Sheets put on 15 day DL.

This can only help!

LINK

You knew it was bound to happen. I think this is truly the downfall of the Brewers. This has to be a huge emotional shot in the club house.

Its also his right hand so as a cub fan I hope it bothers him the rest of the year.

Just think if we lost Zambrano or Hill, thats the impact this DL stint is going to have.
livestrong4ever
General Manager
And1: 140

Post#2 » by livestrong4ever » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:01 pm

Dude we actually have some young pitchers that can fill in in till sheets makes his next start. He is only going to miss three starts and we got Gallardo to fill in for him. I don't think this is going to be the downfall of us. lol.
Howling Mad
General Manager

Post#3 » by Howling Mad » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:08 pm

I love your pitching staff almost as much as I love ours :) but Sheets (10-4) is a big part of the team's success.

I honestly think these young guys are feeding off Sheets and his success. This guy goes down for the first time and I think that is enough to rock the momentum.

Guaranteed he gets injured again and even if he doesn't 3 starts could mean 1.5 games. Thats a lot.
livestrong4ever
General Manager

Post#4 » by livestrong4ever » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:21 pm

BULL even PAX wrote:I love your pitching staff almost as much as I love ours :) but Sheets (10-4) is a big part of the team's success.

I honestly think these young guys are feeding off Sheets and his success. This guy goes down for the first time and I think that is enough to rock the momentum.

Guaranteed he gets injured again and even if he doesn't 3 starts could mean 1.5 games. Thats a lot.

Gallardo isn't a bad pitcher under no means. I don't see how you can just write off the games he starts and losses. Not to mention we bring up anther good pitching prospect in manny parra to work out of the pen. Parra pitched a perfect game in triple a. But no doubt we will miss sheets its just not going to kill us like you think its going to.
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#5 » by SportsWorld » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:25 pm

Hello? Ben Sheets is your best pitcher. It defiantly doesn't help the Brewers now that he won't start for 2-3 weeks.
Para pitched a perfect game in TRIPLE A. So what? Felix Pie has been tearing it up in AAA but can't seem to do the same in the big leagues.
livestrong4ever
General Manager

Post#6 » by livestrong4ever » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:28 pm

SportsWorld wrote:Hello? Ben Sheets is your best pitcher. It defiantly doesn't help the Brewers now that he won't start for 2-3 weeks.
Para pitched a perfect game in TRIPLE A. So what? Felix Pie has been tearing it up in AAA but can't seem to do the same in the big leagues.

So what he is our best pitcher? Its not going to kill us with the young pitchers we got and our offense. Its going to hurt us without him out there. But you don't loose much when Gallardo is pitching.
Howling Mad
General Manager

Post#7 » by Howling Mad » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:29 pm

livestrong4ever wrote:Gallardo isn't a bad pitcher under no means. I don't see how you can just write off the games he starts and losses. Not to mention we bring up anther good pitching prospect in manny parra to work out of the pen. Parra pitched a perfect game in triple a. But no doubt we will miss sheets its just not going to kill us like you think its going to.

Obviously you know your team better than I do, but I think Sheets has been the backbone of the Brewers success.

Even a couple years back, until now the "experts" said if Sheets has success so will the Brewers.

Young guys are nice when they produce but to think a guy who pitched a perfect game in triple A, whom I've never heard of(which prolly means nothing), can come in a have an impact is a big IF.

I think this will definitely hurt the Brewers.

I also did say COULD BE 1.5 games which is far from writing off.

I think this is enough to give the Cubs an opportunity to catch up. Whether or not they pounce on it, who knows. But if it is close at the end of the year I'll bet this 15 day DL stint is something that will be pointed out.
livestrong4ever
General Manager

Post#8 » by livestrong4ever » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:39 pm

Manny Parra is probably our long releiever. So forget about him, we really don't know how many outings he is going to have.

. I am not trying to downplay the effect sheets has played on this team. Not at all. All I am saying is that Gallardo can fill in for three or four starts. With us loosing any major ground.

I don't know if your aware of how great this guy was when he started. The only reason he is in the pen right now is because he is young and we want to save his arm. But I don't think this will have anything to do with you catching up to us. Its going to have to do with Chris Cappuano the man can not located anything right now. If you guys catch up us if you want to blame a pitcher blame him. Unless some how Gallardo really looses it, but that guy has great command on his pitches so I don't see how he will. It will be interesting to see how all these young pitchers turn out to be in up coming weeks.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#9 » by SportsWorld » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:43 pm

Simple Fact: Young players tend to choke under pressure which is why I am confident with our veteran ballclub.
The Brewers will eventually feel the pressure.
Howling Mad
General Manager

Post#10 » by Howling Mad » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:54 pm

Hey livestrong your talking to cub fans. You really wanna hear about young pitchers with loads of potential?

I don't think that needs an explanation. A couple of weeks is not long enough to merit improvement. Plus the amount these guys have pitched is so small of a sample that it could be related to not having any scouting report.
livestrong4ever
General Manager

Post#11 » by livestrong4ever » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:55 pm

SportsWorld wrote:Simple Fact: Young players tend to choke under pressure which is why I am confident with our veteran ballclub.
The Brewers will eventually feel the pressure.

Please don't compare what every other team did to ours. I hate hearing that the brewers are going to choke. And give no reasonable explanation but thats what other teams have done. Thats like saying you guys are going to choke because thats your past. But I guess we will see in September buddy.
Howling Mad
General Manager

Post#12 » by Howling Mad » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:09 pm

livestrong4ever wrote:Please don't compare what every other team did to ours. I hate hearing that the brewers are going to choke. And give no reasonable explanation but thats what other teams have done. Thats like saying you guys are going to choke because thats your past. But I guess we will see in September buddy.

SportsWorld isn't comparing any team with the Brewers. He is just simply saying young guys are prone to feel the pressure and eventually experience a hick-up.

Will the Brewers choke? who knows. I would prefer them not to because I truly believe the Cubs will go 43-29 the rest of the way, which would put them at 90 games.

I don't think the Brewers can reach 90. They would have to go 39-33 to do it. I'll be surprised if they go .500 ball with Sheets down for 3 starts and potentially more.
livestrong4ever
General Manager

Post#13 » by livestrong4ever » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:27 pm

BULL even PAX wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

SportsWorld isn't comparing any team with the Brewers. He is just simply saying young guys are prone to feel the pressure and eventually experience a hick-up.

Will the Brewers choke? who knows. I would prefer them not to because I truly believe the Cubs will go 43-29 the rest of the way, which would put them at 90 games.

I don't think the Brewers can reach 90. They would have to go 39-33 to do it. I'll be surprised if they go .500 ball with Sheets down for 3 starts and potentially more.

Three starts from gallardo is going to kill us your not making any sense buddy. And MD on the brewers forum said he is only got to miss two starts and be eligible to come off the dl on his spot in the rotation.
Howling Mad
General Manager

Post#14 » by Howling Mad » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:38 pm

huh? :dontknow:

Well I was referring to the Brewers entire team not really just one pitcher. Does that clear it up?
livestrong4ever
General Manager

Post#15 » by livestrong4ever » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:42 pm

You said

"
I don't think the Brewers can reach 90. They would have to go 39-33 to do it. I'll be surprised if they go .500 ball with Sheets down for 3 starts and potentially more."

Sounds like you were only talking about sheets but whatever.
Howling Mad
General Manager

Post#16 » by Howling Mad » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:45 pm

ooops sorry.

I dont think the Brewers will collapse as many Cub fans have already deemed.

It will take a great effort from the Cubs to pass the Brewers. It won't be easy but I think its a stronger possiblity than the Brewers winning it outright. You will find the Cubs up at some point and I could even see a leap frog situation for a couple weeks.
BrewCityBBQ
Analyst
And1: 79

Post#17 » by BrewCityBBQ » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:42 am

Brewers will mos def. hurt for the two games Sheets misses due to injury. However, Gallardo is a very good pitcher and has held his own so far. Im confident with him taking Sheets spot and our current hitting that we will be able to go atleast 1-1. That doesnt hurt at all.
Jo Jo English
RealGM
And1: 4,981

Post#18 » by Jo Jo English » Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:55 am

I have nothing but respect for the Brew Crew. I think this shaping up to be a great divisional race.
2poor
RealGM
And1: 0
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#19 » by 2poor » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:42 am

4-6 weeks for Mr. Sheets.

Tough break for the Brewers.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#20 » by SportsWorld » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:42 am

UPDATE: Sheets out 4-6 weeks

Return to Chicago Cubs