ImageImageImageImageImage

Community Thread VIII

Moderators: TyCobb, Danny Darko, Kilroy

Blame Rasho
On Leave
And1: 8,467

Re: Community Thread VIII 

Post#1341 » by Blame Rasho » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:31 pm

I wish I could attend the Mosley/Margarito fight tomorrow at Staples... Over 20,000 people are expected to attend.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#1342 » by LLcoleJ » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:33 am

Blame Rasho wrote:I wish I could attend the Mosley/Margarito fight tomorrow at Staples... Over 20,000 people are expected to attend.

You could go and stick around for LAL vs. SAS fight on Sunday ;) :box:
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#1343 » by Blame Rasho » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:33 am

Phil_2.0 wrote:
Blame Rasho wrote:I wish I could attend the Mosley/Margarito fight tomorrow at Staples... Over 20,000 people are expected to attend.

You could go and stick around for LAL vs. SAS fight on Sunday ;) :box:

It was an epic fight.... largest crowd ever at Staples. Mosley got the KO in the 9th. It was unbelievable.
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#1344 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:23 pm

Mosley needs to man up and confess to his Balco involvement.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Blame Rasho
On Leave

Post#1345 » by Blame Rasho » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:10 am

DEEP3CL wrote:Mosley needs to man up and confess to his Balco involvement.

Well... he admitted to using it for just one fight and that is it....

The bigger story is Margarito and the plaster of paris. If he has used it before in other fights that is assault with a deadly weapon, conspiracy,fraud.

It is beyond disappointing to hear this as a fight fan...
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 5,416

Post#1346 » by Danny Darko » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:46 am

Sedition wrote:DD, I just ran like 2 or 3 vidoes from that website you gave me and I had no issues.

Cool, thanks for checking. I'm gonna do some testing with the plugin, but that's encouraging.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,584

Post#1347 » by hermes » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:59 pm

it's snowing

again
TylersLakers
RealGM
And1: 2,824

Post#1348 » by TylersLakers » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:00 pm

Erik Eleven wrote:Hi

Post padding, EE! :rofl:

DD, that sounds pretty brutal. My girlfriend does not take well to spiders, she'd literally start crying if she saw a little tiny spider. A black widow? Pretty sure she'd fly back to Canada.
hermes
RealGM

Post#1349 » by hermes » Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:09 pm

one of the few good things about winter, takes care of the bugs
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#1350 » by Danny Darko » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:10 am

Yes, Winter does kill some bugs if it's as cold as your place Hermes. Although I know there are some nasty cold dwelling spiders.
My buddy just got thrashed by a brown recluse. He keeps telling me it's fine, but he has a plum sized hole that keeps expanding and streaks of infections and poison running up and down his leg veins and arteries. I'd rather deal with the Widows than recluse.

Ty- I guess you must be on constant extermination patrol eh?
Erik Eleven
RealGM
And1: 17

Post#1351 » by Erik Eleven » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:11 am

If he got bit by one of those, he's anything but fine. He'll need some serious medical treatment for quite some time. There are some nasty pictures of Brown Recluse bites online.

Killed a big Black Widow right by my water hose this summer. I took photos of it first.
hermes
RealGM

Post#1352 » by hermes » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:15 pm

ya he's not fine, those things can kill you
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,140

Post#1353 » by Sedale Threatt » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:26 am

Erik Eleven wrote:If he got bit by one of those, he's anything but fine. He'll need some serious medical treatment for quite some time. There are some nasty pictures of Brown Recluse bites online.

Killed a big Black Widow right by my water hose this summer. I took photos of it first.

I saw a clip on youtube or somewhere of a guy draining a gigantic recluse spider bite at his sink. It looked like he was squeezing oatmeal out of a balloon. I don't get queasy very often, but that did the trick. Disgusting.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#1354 » by Danny Darko » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:52 am

Mmmmmm oatmeal. Yeah if you get hit by a recluse you might as well cut a divet out of your skin and start antibiotics after a doc visit.

Now there's a new creepy thing in my room. Some fricking mutant cross between a mosquito and wasp. It is mosquito colored with almost dragon fly wings about the size of a normal wasp. when I grabbed the 1st one I saw with a tissue it tried to sting me repeatedly with some kind of ass-stinger.

The 3rd one I stumbled on was really not wanting to be crushed in the tissue so I made sure to smash it's head a good one... It let out some crazy gas! The gas was very obnoxious, smelled up my room, and made my eyes water. What the hell is this thing?? when I figure it out, I'll post a pic and link to the description. If anyone knows.... let me know... they don't move too aggressively but obviously they sting and have chemical weapons.
TonyMontana
RealGM
And1: 398

Post#1355 » by TonyMontana » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:13 pm

Hey Mangs, this isnt a 100%, but I might be going to Sac town for Webbers Jersey retirement on Feb 6th.
I will keep you guys posted.
Sedition
Starter
And1: 9

Post#1356 » by Sedition » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:03 pm

Ok so... I'm thinking about finally making the jump from a PC to a Mac. The question I have for you guys is this: for an average Joe like myself (who is basically technologically challenged), what advantages does the Mac have? I don't care about things like cool animations when you click on stuff, or this so-called "user friendliness" which is completely and utterly disagree with (I've used Apples here and there for about a year now and I find them to be complete UNintuitive and complicated).

I'm talking more along the lines of tangible, measurable differences. Are they somehow faster than PCs? Have fewer software issues? Fewer viruses (is this actually proven)? I've heard you tend to have lots of software compatibility issues with Macs (I don't actually know what this means maybe if someone could explain).

Intuitively, it doens't quite make sense for me why if you have the same hardware (like the gHz and harddrive stuff) why the software that you run the computer on (Apple versus WIndows) would make one or the other "faster." But maybe I have no idea what I'm talknig about. Your 2 cents are appreciated, especially if you've RECENTLY made the switch. Thanks!
Sedition
Starter
And1: 9

Post#1357 » by Sedition » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:07 pm

Oh and also, whats the differecne between Macbook and Macbook Pro? I'm basically only looking at laptops right now.
Danny Darko
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers

Post#1358 » by Danny Darko » Sun Feb 1, 2009 10:43 am

Sedition wrote:Ok so... I'm thinking about finally making the jump from a PC to a Mac. The question I have for you guys is this: for an average Joe like myself (who is basically technologically challenged), what advantages does the Mac have? I don't care about things like cool animations when you click on stuff, or this so-called "user friendliness" which is completely and utterly disagree with (I've used Apples here and there for about a year now and I find them to be complete UNintuitive and complicated).

I'm talking more along the lines of tangible, measurable differences. Are they somehow faster than PCs? Have fewer software issues? Fewer viruses (is this actually proven)? I've heard you tend to have lots of software compatibility issues with Macs (I don't actually know what this means maybe if someone could explain).

Intuitively, it doens't quite make sense for me why if you have the same hardware (like the gHz and harddrive stuff) why the software that you run the computer on (Apple versus WIndows) would make one or the other "faster." But maybe I have no idea what I'm talknig about. Your 2 cents are appreciated, especially if you've RECENTLY made the switch. Thanks!

Basically this is a get what you paid for plus security issue.

Let me first tell you why I'm a good person to listen to:

In the time you've known me I've gone from painter to tech company grunt to head of tech support. I use 5 computers both pc and mac daily and have to know everything appropriate for each OS. The things I lack such as the add blocker for this site are due to the generality I have to know as a technician. I am a life-long PC user and probably always will be, though I work mostly on a a mac.

Bonuses(in no particular order):

-Mac runs on Unix... Unix makes everything more secure for many reasons including less people use it or can afford it unless they run linux. There is also the fact that the language isn't as open to commanding as viruses generally like. Most mac afflictions "malware" is based on taking over your computer through something like QuickTime player(though that is currently safe for now due to patches. Speaking of patches- Apple comes out with them faster than Microsoft. It's unsexy to have virus problems and Apple would like to be sexy and awesome until they control enough of the market to be as crappy as microsoft and overlook things.

-Operation: You know Windows, so it's easy. In that sense Mac takes a little adjusting because the cues are different but for actual use the mac is remarkable in it's ease. Majorly different is the searching function. You have a spy glass that finds anything from any search locally almost immediately. Lets say you wanted to find some obscure song you have and in any window you have open- you can type half the word and have the file even without pressing enter or specifying what file type, drive, or location. The ease of use should be apparent also because Windows 7(the new one) seeks to emulate it.

-Speed: Mac... unless you run a tricked out 64bit, you can't touch the speed. And 64bit Windows machines are abominations that can't process activeX controls or much of Flash and Java. I run Windows XP, Vista, Vista 64 all from my Mac and if you want to have a windows interface this is great. Running all those systems I still get NO lag from my Mac G5 that is three years old.

Windows gaming: You will not in the forseeable future be able to do two major things relating to gaming on a Mac-
1-most games are not even available on Mac. wow is but most things aren't.
2-not being able to upgrade hardware very easily you won't be able to upgrade video cards or soundcards etc. if you want to be on top of every new gaming break through.

"free" stuff: if you like to visit torrent sites or file share Mac is sorry and Windows king. Do a search on many popular sharing sites for mac files and you are screwed. ** note most mac issues on sharing and gaming can be solved by running VMware and adding a windows system to your mac that runs in a window similar to the internet. The only problem is how much memory you allocate to your virtual windows machine and that can be easy to fix if you don't overload your mac hard drive with crap.

Sed- you want a laptop, that is territory I don't investigate as thoroughly as desktop computers. I do know this though: Mac stores replace older laptops that flaw even a little for new upgrades while windows machines are hardly ever fixed by there manufacturer let alone replaced with a new machine for having one tiny pixel flaw.

Macbook vs Macbook pro- basically speed and memory, though screen size can play a part.
Rox_Nix_Nox
Veteran
And1: 26

Post#1359 » by Rox_Nix_Nox » Sun Feb 1, 2009 12:54 pm

Why do you want a Mac when you say they are unintuitive and complicated.? Speed wise it will depending on what you have will be the same, maybe slightly unnoticeably faster. Boot up time is faster,.. Dunno what your doing but surfing the web and such, not much different. LIke my friend who is technology challenge how would you know what their is to offer if your not willing to dig into that. I show them little things that make the experience easier and it's "ok,..anyway" If she said she wanted a mac, I'd say what difference does it make, don't know what your doing anyway. And really what problems did you have with those macs? really? it's not that complicated
Rox_Nix_Nox
Veteran
And1: 26

Post#1360 » by Rox_Nix_Nox » Sun Feb 1, 2009 1:25 pm

Danny Darko wrote:"free" stuff: if you like to visit torrent sites or file share Mac is sorry and Windows king. Do a search on many popular sharing sites for mac files and you are screwed.

I aaaaa messed up my dock just to show you. Maybe were talking different things but
fre.. :-? stuff :peace:

Return to Los Angeles Lakers