Byron Scott

Moderator: ijspeelman

tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,064

Byron Scott 

Post#1 » by tidho » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:44 pm

What does everbody think?

Now that LeBron has allegedly voiced a preference for a coach that's a former player it would seem that Izzo isn't the answer. Either Izzo will be scared off by the prospect that LeBron won't stay or the Cavaliers will be scared off at the thought of losing LeBron.

Scott looks like a great option to me. He's helped to improve two teams before with playoff success. I also think he'd embrace the opportunity even if LeBron walks. Time to lock him up!
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,839

Re: Byron Scott 

Post#2 » by mcfly1204 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:03 pm

I am not getting on board the BS wagon yet. In NO he refused to give their rookies playing time this season, essentially coaching himself out of a job. I do not want a coach that ignores the development of young players.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,769

Post#3 » by jc23 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:36 pm

"Now that LeBron has allegedly voiced a preference for a coach that's a former player it would seem that Izzo isn't the answer. Either Izzo will be scared off by the prospect that LeBron won't stay or the Cavaliers will be scared off at the thought of losing LeBron."

Is this something lebron has said recently or had he expressed this some time ago? as far as the perception of byron scott goes, he has been passed over from two highly sought after jobs just in the last month. Not really the cream of the top.
Be curious, Not judgmental
DEEP3CL
RealGM
And1: 3,207

Post#4 » by DEEP3CL » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:05 am

mcfly1204 wrote:I am not getting on board the BS wagon yet. In NO he refused to give their rookies playing time this season, essentially coaching himself out of a job. I do not want a coach that ignores the development of young players.
You make a great point, but the reason Byron didn't play his rookies in NO was because he felt he had a veteran laden team that was going to contend for a playoff spot. Then CP3 got hurt and David West is just too inconsistent.

Coming from a guy that seen Byron as a player and coach, bottom line is he can coach and he knows the game. I can see why LeBron mentioned this, he needs a guy that's been thorough those playoff wars and understands what it takes to win them. Byron did this as both player and coach.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
Grime_Wizard
Junior
And1: 0

Post#5 » by Grime_Wizard » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:28 am

DEEP3CL wrote:
mcfly1204 wrote:I am not getting on board the BS wagon yet. In NO he refused to give their rookies playing time this season, essentially coaching himself out of a job. I do not want a coach that ignores the development of young players.
You make a great point, but the reason Byron didn't play his rookies in NO was because he felt he had a veteran laden team that was going to contend for a playoff spot. Then CP3 got hurt and David West is just too inconsistent.

Coming from a guy that seen Byron as a player and coach, bottom line is he can coach and he knows the game. I can see why LeBron mentioned this, he needs a guy that's been thorough those playoff wars and understands what it takes to win them. Byron did this as both player and coach.

Byron is a good coach and what he did with the Nets and especially the Hornets was impressive, but didnt the Nets turn their backs on him because of his attitude
wallsfamily
Pro Prospect
And1: 155

Post#6 » by wallsfamily » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:59 pm

I believe Byron would be a great choice! Cleveland needs offensive change and Byron would bring it. In addition, both New Jersey and New Orleans made him the fall guy for injuries and bad personnell moves. He took a team to the championship two years in a row without a bench and Jason Collins @ center. Yes Kidd was at his best but Jefferson and Martin were young and Kittles played very well. He can coach!!! The Chandler-Okafur trade worked out well for the Bobcats and the hornets never went out and got a big man for their rotation in a division of Pau Gasol, Bynum, Duncan and so on!
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 884

Post#7 » by Niko23 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:09 pm

He was fired twice in 7 seasons.........do we really want sloppy thirds?
rjgraca
Head Coach
And1: 43

Post#8 » by rjgraca » Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:46 pm

I would prefer Byron Scott over Izzo. Yes, Byron Scott has been fired twice in 7 years, but he has taken teams to the NBA finals and Conference finals twice each that I can remember in that time frame. He has also been on good terms with super stars Chris Paul and Jason Kidd. Byron Scott has also won 3 championships as a player, for the Laker's, which gives him a player's perspective.

Broussard writes that Michigan State coach Tom Izzo is the leading candidate for the job, but Scott brings much more to the table. Scott won three championships as a player with the Los Angeles Lakers.

In his first head coaching job, Scott led the New Jersey Nets to two NBA Finals appearances in four seasons, and he guided the New Orleans Hornets on a surprising run to the Western Conference semifinals in 2008.

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio-sports-bl ... ssibl.html
Niko23
Lead Assistant
And1: 884

Post#9 » by Niko23 » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:44 pm

^

Yes I am also tired of having a puppet for a coach. LB would do anything we wants, again, like jacking up 3's, fade away 3's, etc, like he did under Brown. These so called "player coaches" are just code for pushovers. I want a guy with some fire.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#10 » by DEEP3CL » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:30 pm

Niko23 wrote:He was fired twice in 7 seasons.........do we really want sloppy thirds?
He was fired because like wallsfamily said he was made the scape goat for terrible moves. Look I get that you fans want a credible guy to coach the Cavs, and somebody that LB can respect. If Byron isn't that guy then can you find somebody better ?

Especially with what LB said he want's the next coach to have as far as experience.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

SmartWentCrazy wrote:It's extremely unlikely that they end up in the top 3.They're probably better off trying to win and giving Philly the 8th pick than tanking and giving them the 4th.
twix2500
RealGM
And1: 22,108

Post#11 » by twix2500 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:15 am

I think the question you should be asking, is the Princeton Offense the direction you want to go. Besides Lebron can the Cavs put together a great passing team, that fits the Princeton Offense that Byron Scott runs.
tidho
General Manager

Post#12 » by tidho » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:47 pm

twix2500 wrote:I think the question you should be asking, is the Princeton Offense the direction you want to go. Besides Lebron can the Cavs put together a great passing team, that fits the Princeton Offense that Byron Scott runs.

We've certainly got the shooters for it.
A few guys definately don't fit - Shaq for instance - but most of our guys do. The Cavaliers were at their best last season when they were moving the ball.
Frank Lucas
Pro Prospect
And1: 37

Post#13 » by Frank Lucas » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:10 pm

As a Celtics fan I sure hope you guys get Byron Scott dude can't coach IMO. It would be nice to beat you guys and that former Faker Byron Scott all at the same time. You guys do not want Scott as your coach trust me.
DEEP3CL
RealGM

Post#14 » by DEEP3CL » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:02 am

Frank Lucas wrote:As a Celtics fan I sure hope you guys get Byron Scott dude can't coach IMO. It would be nice to beat you guys and that former Faker Byron Scott all at the same time. You guys do not want Scott as your coach trust me.
You Feltic fans are sad, Byron is a decent coach. Doc wasn't all that in Orlando or Boston before the 3 expired players got together. Dude was one more bad season from being tossed in the trash........again.
VETERAN LAKERS FAN

Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Post#15 » by Copperhead » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:06 am

From what I've heard and read, Scott also had major input on which players the Hornets targeted...

Not to lay all the 2009-10 troubles at the feet of Scott. But the belief -- until last offseason, when Scott's rope was shortened -- always was that Scott's vote was the tiebreaker, that the Hornets targeted the players he believed best would fit his system.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/t-p/index.s ... xml&coll=1

The article is archived even though it only came out in April but for some reason I can't pull up the rest of it so you may not be able to see this actual quote (I got it from another forum) but I believe Scott picked out the players just as much as Bower did. Shinn probably had input too. Scott has paid for his actions and I think it's time for Bower to be held accountable for his as well. But like Scott once said Pat Riley told him, as head coach, you're hired to be fired. I believe Scott was fired because the players had begun tuning him out. For whatever reason. But if a team is no longer hearing your voice as coach, then perhaps it's time for said coach to go. Now the question should be why would the team no longer buy into what a coach is selling?
tidho
General Manager

Post#16 » by tidho » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:35 pm

Copperhead wrote:...I believe Scott was fired because the players had begun tuning him out. For whatever reason. But if a team is no longer hearing your voice as coach, then perhaps it's time for said coach to go. Now the question should be why would the team no longer buy into what a coach is selling?

Maybe, but plenty of reports indicated Paul was upset he was fired. He's the only voice in the lockerroom that reallly mattered so those two things don't really add up.
Copperhead
Lead Assistant
And1: 55

Post#17 » by Copperhead » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:54 pm

tidho wrote:
Copperhead wrote:...I believe Scott was fired because the players had begun tuning him out. For whatever reason. But if a team is no longer hearing your voice as coach, then perhaps it's time for said coach to go. Now the question should be why would the team no longer buy into what a coach is selling?

Maybe, but plenty of reports indicated Paul was upset he was fired. He's the only voice in the lockerroom that reallly mattered so those two things don't really add up.

Sure Paul is the franchise player but his voice can't be the only one that matters. Basketball is a team game. He certainly can't win anything with teammates that tune the coach out. And with this being a 'players league' nowadays, when players don't play for a coach, it's the coach that gets the shaft.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers