ImageImageImageImageImage

My Issue (re:game threads)

Moderators: HiJiNX, niQ, Morris_Shatford, DG88, Reeko, lebron stopper, 7 Footer, Duffman100

HumbleBumbleBee
Analyst
And1: 3

My Issue (re:game threads) 

Post#1 » by HumbleBumbleBee » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:05 pm

Why wait so long for a game thread?
Theres no game until Friday...I get the feeling if someone makes a thread others jumping in and trash it. Whats the big dea? Why wait until someone posts the graphics? Can we/I not start a thread and edit it when the graphics are ready?
Got Raps FanFiction?
saham
Rookie
And1: 47

Post#2 » by saham » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:10 pm

This is the tradition of Realgm. Nobody and I say Nobody messes with the tradition. It is considered a bad Omen for the team.
dacrusha
RealGM
And1: 5,410

Post#3 » by dacrusha » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:24 pm

If the Raptors win, the thread starter for that game gets to start the next game thread... and continues to do so until the Raptors lose.

/thread
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,787
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Re: My Issue (re:game threads) 

Post#4 » by Boogie! » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:27 pm

HumbleBumbleBee wrote:Why wait so long for a game thread?
Theres no game until Friday...I get the feeling if someone makes a thread others jumping in and trash it. Whats the big dea? Why wait until someone posts the graphics? Can we/I not start a thread and edit it when the graphics are ready?

you say, "why wait", i say, why can't you wait? it's not like the pre-game discussion is that meaningful anyway. and the raptors board is active enough that you'll find other things to talk about in the mean time.

and the game thread making is not about the graphics. it's just a superstitious tradition. if the previous game thread maker has a winning game, he gets to make the next one. if he loses, then feel free to make the next one whenever you want.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
mangos
Starter
And1: 9

Post#5 » by mangos » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:38 pm

i think the wait is dumb as well, the game thread should go up asap after the last game ends
hstang
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#6 » by hstang » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:40 pm

dacrusha wrote:If the Raptors win, the thread starter for that game gets to start the next game thread... and continues to do so until the Raptors lose.

/thread

Interesting......just like craps.
Headliner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,967

Post#7 » by Headliner » Wed Jan 2, 2008 6:48 pm

i believe we used to have interm game threads till the official one was made, a couple years back.
That might always be an option. The interm thread gets locked when the official one is made, and life goes on.
theonlyeastcoastrapsfan
RealGM
And1: 8,676

Post#8 » by theonlyeastcoastrapsfan » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:25 pm

just don't title them or refer to them as game threads. Call it scouting, or the next game. as long as only gamethreads are called game threads - it don't matter, just save the pics and #'s and stuff for the game thread. I'd like to see a thread started to talk about Detroit. We should do it here, what the heck.

It'll be the best test to see if we really have turned the corner.
whoknows
General Manager
And1: 1,495

Post#9 » by whoknows » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:46 pm

mangos wrote:i think the wait is dumb as well, the game thread should go up asap after the last game ends

I do support the idea of starting the new game thread anytime after the last one ends.
But it should be a decent attempt of looking as good as possible and containing all pertinent info: starters, time & location, TV channel, prediction, etc.
Whoever had the last wining game thread should prepare for next one ASAP.

This will give more time to people (who can not be on this website daily) to express their opinions.
Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,668

Post#10 » by Fairview4Life » Wed Jan 2, 2008 7:48 pm

Headliner wrote:i believe we used to have interm game threads till the official one was made, a couple years back.
That might always be an option. The interm thread gets locked when the official one is made, and life goes on.

The Raps also lost a lot, a couple years back. Clearly not respecting the game thread was their downfall.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
evilRyu
General Manager
And1: 2

Post#11 » by evilRyu » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:18 pm

Boogie! wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

you say, "why wait", i say, why can't you wait? it's not like the pre-game discussion is that meaningful anyway. and the raptors board is active enough that you'll find other things to talk about in the mean time.

and the game thread making is not about the graphics. it's just a superstitious tradition. if the previous game thread maker has a winning game, he gets to make the next one. if he loses, then feel free to make the next one whenever you want.

Well that's definitely your opinion, but why shouldn't other posters be allowed to discuss our very next game? We could talk about potential injured players heading into the game, any scouting, good luck's, etc....

But I agree, at times I have to wait a few hours before a game starts before the game thread is made, which kinda stinks..

Question: why can't the game thread maker just make the thread, and leave a "will post gfx soon" message, and leave it at that? This way, the conversation can get started.
HumbleBumbleBee
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#12 » by HumbleBumbleBee » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:05 pm

evilRyu wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well that's definitely your opinion, but why shouldn't other posters be allowed to discuss our very next game? We could talk about potential injured players heading into the game, any scouting, good luck's, etc....

But I agree, at times I have to wait a few hours before a game starts before the game thread is made, which kinda stinks..

Question: why can't the game thread maker just make the thread, and leave a "will post gfx soon" message, and leave it at that? This way, the conversation can get started.

i second that notion
Got Raps FanFiction?
wade2bosh
General Manager
And1: 5

Post#13 » by wade2bosh » Wed Jan 2, 2008 9:14 pm

I nominate Boogie.
hoop_head
RealGM
And1: 2,235

Post#14 » by hoop_head » Wed Jan 2, 2008 11:31 pm

^^^ Boogie makes great game threads. I would have no problem with Boogie doing all the threads if he wanted to.

Boogie for Thread King!!! :bowdown:

Return to Toronto Raptors